Community
Wiki Posts
Search

British Airways IAD-LHR-JTR/ATH-LHR-IAD + Sky Express JNX-ATH

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2018, 1:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by shefgab
Nice report, seems like you had a fairly decent set of flights, and a nice holiday to boot. Make sure you include some holiday destination snaps next time

You perfectly sum up the reasons why BA charge for those seats:
- Most desirable seats
- Flight full of Golds
- Golds want the best seats

BA is one of the few airlines that actually constantly fill their premium cabins with fare paying passengers. Why let the discount holiday passengers get the best seats when BA know full well the plane will fill up relatively last minute with fare paying Gold card holders that want those seats? The charge says far more about BA's excellent revenue management/customer recognition than their penny pinching. BA do NOT want people to pay the fee. They want to keep those seats empty so their best customers can take their pick when they book 2-3 days out. Imagine if you frequently bought full fare last minute tickets and were always only left with the worst seats in the cabin?
That is a fair perspective, but if that was the case, wouldn't other airlines charge their premium pax for seat assignments to protect availability for top customers? I too have read that BA does a good job filling Club World with revenue pax, but I would venture to guess that other airlines aren't leaps-and-bounds behind them.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 2:39 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by CurbedEnthusiasm
That is a fair perspective, but if that was the case, wouldn't other airlines charge their premium pax for seat assignments to protect availability for top customers? I too have read that BA does a good job filling Club World with revenue pax, but I would venture to guess that other airlines aren't leaps-and-bounds behind them.
I guess BA have done the sums, and know it works. Other airlines I guess are worried to take that decision in case it drives away their business. I would wager that only an airline that has a high proportion of late booking full fare loyal pax would be able to do this. Airlines that struggle to fill their cabins with these high revenue late booking customers will probably find this policy not as useful.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.