Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

ON THE ROAD AGAIN: From Connecticut to Alaska by Road, Rail, Air & Sea (and SE Asia)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ON THE ROAD AGAIN: From Connecticut to Alaska by Road, Rail, Air & Sea (and SE Asia)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2018, 4:35 am

I should have known better than to start reading a Seat 2A trip report just before bedtime. It's now pushing 3:30am and this morning's alarm will be most unpleasant.
Thanks for taking the time - hopefully you have a few more in you - and appreciate your advice earlier this year when I took my own trip to your neck of the woods.
The chicken dish you experienced on the Alaska Marine Highway seemed to be a poor representation of what was available on the Columbia's sister ship the Malaspina this spring. Certainly enjoyed the home-style dinners on board which were more comparable in quality to your omelet. No liquor service available on board the Malaspina, though.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 4:57 am

Programs: BA silver
Excellent report and a great trip, thanks very much.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 7:44 am

Programs: Aeroplan 100K BA executive club, IC/platinum/RA
Very enjoyable report, thanks.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 12:56 pm

Programs: AY Lumo, FB Gold
Ahhh, another long awaited piece of art from the internet's favourite trip reporter! This report totally destroyed my productivity for a couple of days, but obviously it was absolutely worth it! Great stuff as always.

Having read every single Seat2A report over here (and the copies that were once posted on a.net too) multiple times over I can certainly recognize a lot of the recycled pictures and paragraphs - but at this scale that's easy to forgive. Over the years these reports have inspired me to do many things, including lots of roadtrips through the American West and a couple of Amtrak long distance trains (in sleepers of course!).

Interestingly I was trying to catch the Chiang Mai - Bangkok sleeper service this summer too, but booking tickets via the very same agency as you used seemed too much of a hassle to me so I gave up and flew TG instead on a dirt cheap fare (and on an A330!). Oh and I did fly PG up to Chiang Mai as well!

Keep up the good work, Elton! There sure is an appreciative readership around here.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 6:10 pm

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
After having submitted more than seventy of these reports over the past seventeen years, I must admit that they’re becoming a bit more difficult to write in a timely fashion being as I’ve done it all so many times before. I don’t know how many more trip reports of this breadth and scope I have left in me but I do know that were it not for your continuing readership and enthusiastic endorsement of my past reports I probably wouldn’t have written more than a handful of them in the first place.
Two evenings of dinner time reading...PLANES, TRAINS, AND AUTOMOBILES (AND A SHIP)...you covered it all. And thanks for this!

You need to at least reach 200 airlines before you stop writing these reports! I have used your reports as references several times. And this now encourages me to attempt additional train travel in SE Asia (I already did KUL to Penang about 4 years ago and I understand that service improved tremendously in 2015.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 9:58 pm

So beautiful. The photos of the inside passage and Prince of Wales Island were inspiring. I enjoyed every word.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 10:01 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Kudos on another engaging chronicle of a memorable journey. As somebody who enjoys both flying and train travel almost as much as you obviously do, I found myself transported to some intriguing places over the (Canadian) Thanksgiving weekend. Please do keep them coming.

Even though Aussie trip reports are quite plentiful on FT, I know that you would bring an entirely fresh and delightful perspective to chronicling a journey down under. I've spent a lot more time in Australia than Alaska, but I see plenty of similarities between the two cultures, and I would love to read your insights into such a comparison.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 10:39 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors Diamond, National Executive Elite
Spectacular trip report Seat 2A! Thanks for sharing your journey with us. Keep 'em coming!
Old Oct 10, 2018, 12:30 am

Programs: Many
One of the best trip (and report) I have read! Many thanks for sharing that.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 3:41 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond, Mucci de buveur de gin
Another excellent report from you Seat 2A. Coming to the end of it, I felt like you did on that long haul flight - I wasn't quite sure where the couple of hours I spent reading it went! Most enjoyable. The scenery you took in on the train looks spectacular. Thanks for the time it must have taken you to put this together.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 6:05 am

Programs: AA-CK, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Ok, just finished reading this excellent trip report. I have been to many of the same places, but now see them in a different light based on your words. Thank you!

No to find out if I still have a job after reading this in one go
Old Oct 10, 2018, 10:40 am

Great report, thanks for sharing. Read a lot of your reports, but don't often comment. But I also took the train from Bangkok to Nong Khai about 15 years ago, then proceeded up to Vientiane on what might have been that same old clunky train. The pic sure looks the same as I remember. Good memories. Thanks for that, and for all the details.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 1:48 pm

Programs: AS MVP 75K, DL PM
Thank you very much as always for your detailed reports and contribution to these forums. You inspire the next generation of adventurers to traverse the roads, rails and skies.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 3:30 pm

Programs: Skymiles Plat/1MM, United Prem, Marriott Silver, HH Gold
I think you’ve outdone yourself, Seat2A - and you’re a tough guy to outdo! Thanks as always for taking the time to write these very fun reports. They never disappoint.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 8:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by 757
Amazing report, and thank you for sharing. I'm actually going to send this to my father in law to read as he loves rail journeys. Thank you for a very enjoyable read on a rainy Monday evening here in Minneapolis.
Thanks, 757! I might add that if your father in law is a fan of rail journeys, you'll find a link to my past rail reports at the bottom of each of my posts. Here's to more great train journeys! ^

Originally Posted by krazykanuck
A great read as always, thanks! Also it was nice to meet you briefly over lunch a couple weeks ago in FAI!
Thank you, KK! That was a fun get together at the Silver Gulch Brewery. I enjoyed meeting you all and hope that the return trip troubles notwithstanding, your beer train ride was a great success. Did any of you happen to see me standing out by my truck at the Sheep Creek crossing waving at you all as you roared by?

Originally Posted by cedric
I should have known better than to start reading a Seat 2A trip report just before bedtime. It's now pushing 3:30am and this morning's alarm will be most unpleasant. Thanks for taking the time - hopefully you have a few more in you - and appreciate your advice earlier this year when I took my own trip to your neck of the woods.
Thanks, cedric! That's too bad we weren't able to meet up on your Denali visit but hopefully you might come back for a return go of it. As to my lengthy trip reports - yeah, it seems best to start reading them a bit earlier in the evening.

Originally Posted by yhm71 & useless
Excellent report and a great trip, thanks very much.
Very enjoyable report, thanks.
Thanks, you guys! Glad you enjoyed the read.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.