Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

A trip through Middle Earth (AKL, WLG, ZQN, CHC on NZ and SQ)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A trip through Middle Earth (AKL, WLG, ZQN, CHC on NZ and SQ)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2018, 9:03 am

Programs: OZ Diamond(*G)
Thank you for posting. I really enjoyed your pics.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 9:09 am
Original Poster

Landing on Wellington Rwy34 right on schedule.

Taxi to the terminal, with Fiji Airways B738 and SQ's B772 spotted at the international section of the terminal.

Welcome to the Middle of Middle Earth, as Wellington is also known other than being the capital of New Zealand.

Parked at the gate.

Disembarking. We were also allowed to disembark via the rear stairs, but with the light load, almost everyone decided to exit via the aerobridge instead.

Just a couple of passengers decided that some exercise is needed and used the stairs.

View of my A320 again.

Other aircraft at the terminal.

A pleasant short domestic hop on Air New Zealand it was. The snacks and beverages were sufficient for the short domestic sectors, and the specially-configured domestic aircraft (all economy seating with only 2 lavatories, 1 each at front and rear, and smaller galleys) retained sufficient legroom and was comfortable for the short sectors they operate. With the frills and baggage allowance thrown in, NZ offers a very competitive product vs its low-cost rival JetStar in the New Zealand domestic market.
BlackSkyuk likes this.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 9:39 am
Original Poster

Wellington's airport terminal is very bright and modern, and seemed rather new as well.

Domestic baggage claim.

The journey to the city center was only 15min via the airport shuttle. We stayed at Rydges Wellington for 2 nights.

Hotel lobby

The room was good-sized with the extremely comfortable Rydges bed. Cooking facility was available in the room as well.

View from the room towards the government offices.

Wellington Railway station was just steps from the hotel.

With such pleasant weather, we walked to the pier.

Took the cable car up the hill to have a view of Wellington city.

aeroman380 and bitterproffit like this.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 9:57 am
Original Poster

View towards the bay.

Thanks to cooking facilities in the room, dinner was DIY with lamb chops and steak from the local supermarket.

Wellington city scene in the next morning.

Unlike the day before, this day was windy and wet, with strong waves at the pier.

Interesting pop-up sauna.

Visit to the most famous museum in NZ, Te Papa Museum.

The museum rooftop offers a nice view of the city.

Late lunch was had at a popular seafood place, Crab Shack. The dishes were all tasty and affordable, and for our Monday visit, it was half price off mussels!

The Beehive, which is the main government office building.

A historical building restored and used as a campus.

aeroman380 and BlackSkyuk like this.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 10:55 am
Original Poster

After 2 nights in Wellington, we again took the airport shuttle back to Wellington airport.

What greeted us as we stepped into the check-in hall were SQ's check-in counters for the SQ flight to MEL/SIN.

However we would not be flying SQ today and instead proceeded to the NZ self-check-in kiosks and bag-drop. There is also a premium check-in area.

After checking in, we proceeded into the modern departure hall. Non-travellers were also free to come into this part of the terminal as well.

Apart from the usual NZ A320s, JetStar's rare Dash-8 and A320s were spotted.

Old Sep 12, 2018, 7:22 am
Original Poster

NZ's Dash-8s on the remote stands.

Our aircraft operating the flight to Queenstown. NZ and JetStar each has a daily flight from Wellington to Queenstown.

21 August 2018
Air New Zealand
NZ 605
Wellington (WLG) - Queenstown (ZQN)
A320
ZK-OXM
Economy Class
Flight Time: 1H01M

Boarding to commence shortly.

Boarding the aircraft. Similar domestic cabin configuration as the previous flight.

Decent legroom.

View out the window.

Boarding in progress. The flight was about 70% full. Most visitors to Queenstown would have flown from Auckland.

Boarding completed, doors closed and we pushed back.

SQ's B772 has arrived from Melbourne.

Taxi to the runway.

BlackSkyuk likes this.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 8:12 am
Original Poster

Holding for another A320 to land.

Followed by our turn for departure from Rwy34.

Leaving North Island and my first glimpse of South Island.

IFE consisted of inflight trivia shown on the dropdown screens.

Flying along the coast of South Island.

Refreshment service commenced, where we were offered a choice of cassava chips or chocolate chip cookie. The crew were kind enough to offer me one of each when I requested, all washed down with a cup of tea.

View of the cabin.

BlackSkyuk likes this.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 8:47 am
Original Poster

A look at the half-galley of the domestic-configured A320.

Same amenities in the single rear lavatory.

Crew clearing the trash.

The first snow-capped mountains spotted.

Just prior to descend, crew came around with baskets of lollies.

Rest of the flight was spent just admiring the scenery down there.

The approach and landing into Queenstown was amazing as we flew in between mountains into a valley. This certainly ranks as one of the most challenging and beautiful landing in the world!

Final approach to Rwy23 as we exited the valley.

BlackSkyuk and bitterproffit like this.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 9:23 am
Original Poster

Touchdown in one of the most beautiful airport in the world, Queenstown Airport.

Video of the landing.

Parked at the stand. There are no aerobridges at Queenstown and hence disembarking is via the traditional stairs. It was amazing as we disembarked to snow-capped mountains in the distance!

View of the aircraft as we walked on the tarmac towards the terminal building.

It was another standard Air New Zealand domestic sector, again with friendly and efficient service, and an awesome landing to boost!

Queenstown airport only has a small terminal with both domestic and international (from Australia) flights, and during the peak seasons, I suspect the terminal may be straining from the additional flights and travellers.

roadwarrier and bitterproffit like this.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 11:04 am
Original Poster

From Queenstown Airport, it was only a 15min and NZ$2 bus ride to the hotel. We stayed at Heartland Hotel, which was built chalet-style. Rooms, though not the most modern, were comfortable enough for the stay.

The best thing about the room though was the incredible view of the mountains and lake from my room at the 3rd (and topmost) floor!

The hotel was only a short 5-10min walk downslope to town. Queenstown would be hosting a Winter Pride just a week after my stay.

First meal at Queenstown would be some Fish and chips by the lake (while avoiding the attacks at the chips by seagulls and ducks).

Enjoying the sight of the beautiful Lake Wakatipu, with mountain ranges around.

Walked towards the small town area, with the usual tourist shops, restaurants and boutiques.

BlackSkyuk and bitterproffit like this.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 4:55 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
what a wonderful report with great great pics,
glad you are having fun, looking forward to the rest...
Old Sep 13, 2018, 8:16 am
Original Poster

Queenstown town center

Popular fudge selection at the Remarkable Sweet Shop.

Dinner of burrito at a Mexican eatery.

The next day, we went on a day trip to Milford Sound. It was an early departure, with The Remarkables range basking in the dawn light.

During the 300km ride to Milford Sound, we passed by various sights, including:

Mirror lake which reflects the mountain range.

Streams with crystal clear water

And wild native birds Kea which love to peck on vehicle rubber lining.

standch and BlackSkyuk like this.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 8:39 am
Original Poster

As the tour bus passed through the mountains, we were greeted by snow and controlled avalanches at certain areas.

Reached the Milford Sound jetty to board the ferry for a 2hrs tour of the Sound. Buffet lunch was served onboard. The view was magnificent, and we even came right u to a cascading waterfall!

Leaving Milford Sound for another 300km ride back to Queenstown.

Dinner back at Queenstown was at one of the 2 most popular burger restaurants in Queenstown. For tonight, I would be trying out Devil's Burger. Very tasty and filling burger and fried mushrooms!

Some gelato for dessert!

On the 3rd day, the first thing to do was to grab a burger at the famous Fergburger. Even though it was only 11am, there was already a queue (which moved fast) for burgers! Luckily the wait was only 10min as compared to dinner time.

BlackSkyuk likes this.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 9:30 am
Original Poster

The burger from Fergburger is indeed juicy and delicious!

At the lakefront, where I would be going on a Jetboat ride to the Shotover River.

Did a short trip to the historical mining village of Arrowtown, which was only about 30min away by bus.

Another Remarkable Sweet Shop

A historical Chinese village

BlackSkyuk likes this.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 5:52 pm

Programs: Free agent!
Originally Posted by Marschel
What's inside the leave? What's it called?
It's obviously not my TR but I also didn't see a response from OP. If I had to make a guess, I'd say it's otak otak.
Marschel likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.