Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Etihad First Class Apartments (Sydney - Abu Dhabi - New York)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2018, 12:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: Qantas Platinum, Hilton Honours Gold

I am on a trip to North America (New York, Maui, Montreal & Miami). The flight is from Sydney to New York via Abu Dhabi.

Sydney to Abu Dhabi (A380 - First Class Apartment) - POSTED
Abu Dhabi to New York (A380 - First Class Apartment) - JUST POSTED

---------------------------------------------------
Here is my review of my first flight of the journey:
Flight: EY451
Carrier: Etihad Airways
Class: First Class Apartment
Depart: Sydney
Arrive: Abu Dhabi

The review is below. I did take a fair few photos and compiled a mini YouTube video dairy of the flight - If you want to check them out you can view them on my blog site – http://lifeofatravelczar.com/etihad-first-class-apartments-sydney-to-abu-dhabi/

THE LOUNGE

So, it’s my birthday celebrations and I’m off on my North American jaunt! I’ll be visiting New York, Maui, Montreal and Miami. I am flying on Etihad’s First Class Apartments on their A380 aircraft to Abu Dhabi and then connecting onto New York (JFK).

I start in the Etihad First & Business Class Lounge in Sydney with a martini – shaken not stirred of course… admiring the view as. The lounge is quite spacious and has some pretty amazing views of the tarmac. There is a fine selection of hot food items for self-serve on the buffet as well as a self-pour wine area. There is also a limited a la carte dining menu and dining area. I have the lamb slider with some red wine as I unwind before my flight. There are also shower suites as well if you want to freshen-up before your flight.

THE APARTMENT

Etihad Airways have done away with the First Class seat concept for the A380 and have Apartments instead. There nine private apartments on the A380 which are fully enclosed; the product is almost unparalleled to anything I’ve flown before. There is 30-inch reclining lounge chair with full massage functions, a separate full-length ottoman which transforms into a fully flat bed. The chair and the ottoman are upholstered by Poltrona Frau, which provide the leather for Ferrari’s interiors.

The seat controls are a breeze to use with clear LCD lighting and touch screens. There are multiple lighting options which can be controlled from your digital control panel and handset which also handles the IFE. The window shades can be adjusted electronically through the switches on the windows or the digital control panel next to the armrest. Next to the chair there is also some USB ports and power sockets. The dining table is on the opposite side of the seat controls in the armrest of the chair. There is also a beverage holder which is useful when the dining table is not in use.

The apartment has a 24” flat-screen TV with a pretty extensive range of audio and video on demand. The TV can swivel from the wall so are able to enjoy your entertainment in both the seat or the bed. We are provided with noise-cancelling headphones to enjoy the experience.

The inflight entertainment selection is extensive; there are hours of movies and TV shows to watch, flight path views and games. You can even watch Live TV on there from many major news channels.I watch Billions which is my favourite show. The only downside is that Etihad has a very wide range of programmes but they don’t do whole season box sets like other airlines, so you end up with 3-4 episodes of a season and are left in suspense as to what happens next. There are two IFE controls (one next to the chair and the other next to the bed) so you don’t need to reach for the control at any point in time. The IFE control is pretty amazing with good solid icons of the entertainment options to allow to flick through the entertainment selection on the controller. I should note that the IFE control also allows you to watch the movie within the handset. While you wouldn’t do this, you can watch a movie on the TV and then monitor the flight path or the Live TV news on your handset. It’s a pretty good feature.

There is a vanity cupboard with a mirror which illuminates upon opening and at the forward edge of the suite there is a full-length wardrobe to hang your clothes. There’s a small minibar which can be opened from below the armrest… unfortunately it only contains non-alcoholic drinks and so I leave it untouched for the entire flight. Underneath the ottoman there is the primary storage space in the apartment – it looks a little small, but with some manoeuvring I fit my carry-on bag there. The seat does have some storage spots beside it which can be used for smaller items (cameras, phones etc.).

THE AMENITY KIT AND PYJAMAS

Etihad’s pyjamas are designed by “A Friend Of Mine By Xpoze,” which is a local UAE fashion house. I love these PJs they are extremely comfortable, soft and plush with a little bit of stretch and the material breathes pretty easy. In terms of fashionable I probably still have a crush on the Porsche designed PJs JAL gave me, but these definitely tick the comfort box. Etihad says the PJs can be used outdoors as lounge wear – I however wouldn’t be comfortable wearing these out in public… they are definitely PJs.

Etihad Airways also provided a luxury amenity bag from luxe fashion house Christian Lacroix and these were stocked with beautiful amenities from Hungarian skincare brand, Omorovicza. The bags are embossed with Christian Lacroix logo and are black leather and are fashionable and could be used off the plane if you’re a little metrosexual. The items in the bag include Omorovicza’s “Gold” collection. There is a hand lotion, lip balm and balancing moisturiser. These apparently have some anti-inflammatory gold which claims heals micro damage and strengthens your skin. I have no idea if this claim is true, but I will say the products are a delight to use. In addition to these there are the standard amenities which include ear plugs, a comb, shaving set and dental care products and a sleep and relaxation pack.

THE WINE

Prior to take-off I enjoy a glass of champagne and I use this champagne to pair with the caviar later. The champagne is the Charles Heidsieck, Brut Réserve, Champagne (2006). There are wonderful floral, tea, honey and beautiful stone fruits (notably white peach) aromas with hints of nuts after the champagne has settled. On the palate there is a beautiful minerality and flow which guides the wine, the stone fruit flavours and acidity present themselves quite strongly with little lag. There is a hint of rich creamy texture of taste intermingled with honey which surfaces in the finish which is quite something – it exudes a sense of richness of the champagne.

After take-off, we were provided with drinks and some light snacks. I was hoping for a good rich full Bordeaux to sink my teeth in, but perusal of the wine list the only red wine that catches me is one from Fronsac in Bordeaux. It’s a region that’s heavily Merlot focused but it will do. The wine is the Ch teau Moulin-Haut-Laroque, Fronsac, Bordeaux, France, 2012. It is actually better than I expected; there are beautiful aromas of berry and smoke which are quite tantilising. The blackberry fruit with hints of vanilla and wet cedar flow effortless on the palate without much bite. There is some good acidity to balance the fruit and some nice chewy well integrated tannins which balance the wine. It’s a decent wine and am happy it be used to pair with some of favoured dishes on the menu.

LUNCH

There is a chef which prepares your food and can design off the menu items if you wish and dining is on demand; so, you can order what you want and when you want it.

Signature Caviar Service: Russian Oscietra caviar with accompaniments: The Russian Oscietra caviar is one of the world’s prized caviars and is harvested from the Ossetra sturgeon from the Caspian Sea. I’m pretty impressed with Etihad here, they haven’t gone for the more cost-effective Abu Dhabi farmed version but for what is a premium product. The caviar has a grey colour with a golden glow almost when the light reflects on it. I gently take a spoonful with the mother of pearl – I want it without any condiments…. the virgin caviar in its purest. I protrude my tongue and lick it off the spoon with eyes closed to let only the hum of the A380 jet engines interfere with the moment. My tongue slips back into my mouth and playfully moves the caviar around the roof of my mouth and the rest of the tongue. The pearls burst to release a sensual medley of light salinity, a creamy flow and a nutty residue with a light sweetness which appears then disappears like a hidden. The texture is delicate and jelly-like a firmness like no other. The privacy of the apartment aids this moment as my eyes closed I continue to feel the pearls in my tongue and gently let them flow. I awake from the moment breathless and reach for the champagne. I tip the glass on the angle and the golden bubbles flows like a pied piper directional order onto my tongue. It’s stone fruit flavours, acidity and buttery flow melds with the remaining pearls and caviar residue. I sip a little more champagne to recover from the moment and lean back in the chair and rub my cheek on the beautiful leather…. It sends a tingle through my nerves and I must say this is a golden moment.

Duck with hoisin, cucumber, sesame, spring onion: This dish is a taste of the orient, the duck is gamey and the natural oils of the duck exude their rich flavour. It’s nicely done, the skin could have been a little crispier but still projects the majority of the dishes flavour and is a treat. The hoisin has a saline BBQ like flavour while the spring onion adds a little crunchy texture and heat to the dish. The fruit in Ch teau Moulin-Haut-Laroque the is strong enough to keep up the duck and it proves to be a good pairing. It’s a very nice entrée to follow on from the caviar.

Beef Tenderloin with beans and potatoes: Beef tenderloin is served with some side vegetables and a reduction sauce. The sauce has some good salinity and richness to pair with the beef and is provided on the side for you to pour as you desire. The sides aren’t too substantial which is fine given I’ve already had two courses. Instead of celeriac as was on the menu, there some fluffy potato cakes and potatoes. The beef is probably a little too well done for a medium rare but still tender and juicy. The Ch teau Moulin-Haut-Laroque has some weight to go with the beef, it’s not quite the heavy hitter it needs to be. But the tannins in the wine are good to work with beef and it turns out to be a good little drop to nurse over the course of lunch.

Chocolate Lava Cake with Crème Anglaise: The dish is out of this world rich if that’s the way I could phrase it. The lava cake is thick, moist and oozing a rich chocolatey sensation. The crème anglaise is smooth with a mildness of flavour to balance the richness of the chocolate cake. The only aspect was generally lava cakes have a have a drippy gooey centre and firm outer shell. This had a blend of moist chocolate throughout – don’t get me wrong it was amazing, but maybe it’s hard to replicate the structure onboard. The taste was on the money!

THE BED

Eventually it’s getting late and I ask the cabin crew will make-up the bed. The fully lie-flat bed comes with a mattress, plush duvet, smooth cotton sheets, and pillows. The mosaic patterned pillow adds a lovely touch to contrast with the rest of the bedding. My head hits the pillow and I am thinking about my birthday in a few days… I’m excited; I love being in New York and I just adore the 21 Club Bar Room. It’s hard to sleep with all that excitement, but I watch the sunset on the horizon and the alcohol eventually gets to me and I drift off to sleep.There’s also a “Do Not Disturb” button on your handset if you want to avoid being disturbed but I am fine with just having the doors closed.

THE ONBOARD LOUNGE

There is also a lounge area which is shared with the First and Business Class cabins. It is a quaint little spot with space for 6-8 people to sit in a circular lounge. There is a fully stocked bar with some snacks. If you’re in First Class you will need to ask one of the attendants to bring your preferred choice of drink from the cabin. You can watch some TV with your friends if you wish too.

As luck would have it I met a lawyer sitting at the lounge and through our conversations realised his firm acted for us on many business deals before. We sip on wines and discuss our travels and business and while away the evening. The flight attendant pours me a glass of wine from the First menu and unfortunately my new acquaintance is traveling in business and is refused the First wine … I have always believed fine wine must be shared, so upon the next refill I pour half into his empty glass and we cheers to enjoyable flight.

THE SHOWER

At the front of the cabin are the two first class lavatories; the first lavatory is spacious and easy to use to change into your new swish PJs, the second one is smaller but that’s because most of the space is occupied by the amazing onboard shower. In each bathroom there are Omorovicza products such as some hand wash, lotions and my favourite; the face mist. The showers are scheduled in advance at the start of the flight and the crew will prepare the shower for you with towels and an induction on the functionality onboard shower experience.

Enough water is loaded for a specific number of showers so each shower session only has 5 minutes of running water. There is a lighted timer to guide you and you can start / stop the shower as you need (i.e. the water doesn’t have to continuously run for 5 minutes). Each shower session is 15-20 minutes, so you can freshen-up, blow dry your hair etc. post the shower.

The shower suite itself is reasonably roomy and the shower head is affixed to the ceiling for a rainforest style effect. There is enough storage space with amenities. It is really an experience to behold, when you’ve had a long flight and feel like you need to freshen up before landing. The water flow is pretty good and I feel like a dream when I’m finished. It’s truly something to have an experience like this in the sky and definitely adds to the experience!

It was difficult to give you a full view of the shower in pictures, so please check out the video diary below for a full overview of the shower suite.

BREAKFAST

I had the Eggs Cooked to Order with steak, kipfler potatoes, roma tomatoes sautéed asparagus. For breakfast I opt for the steak and fried eggs (sunny-side-up of course). I ask to pair the dish with a glass of red wine and the chef notes that they may have sealed-up the wine but he would check. He never returned… so I find myself waiting then I head into the galley area looking for him to follow-up on the request. He informs me the wines had been sealed and unfortunately would not be served. This was probably the most disappointing aspect of the service.

So, I stuck into my steak which is nice and tender. I pierce the egg yolk softly to let its gooeyness run like a sprinter all over the dish coating it with is translucent yellow glow. The steaks were nicely cooked and a little more succulent than the earlier beef dish. The potatoes are decent and I thought the tomatoes and sautéed asparagus were okay but I really could have eaten just the steak and eggs.

The flight eventually lands in the dark of the Abu Dhabi night and I race to the lounge to chill before heading through the US Pre-Clearance Facility for my flight to New York.

Last edited by ArrowFlyer; Sep 20, 2018 at 1:14 am
Old Sep 6, 2018, 10:05 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Miles and Smiles, Hhonors, ICHotels
The caviar has a grey colour with a golden glow almost when the light reflects on it. I gently take a spoonful with the mother of pearl – I want it without any condiments…. the virgin caviar in its purest. I protrude my tongue and lick it off the spoon with eyes closed to let only the hum of the A380 jet engines interfere with the moment. My tongue slips back into my mouth and playfully moves the caviar around the roof of my mouth and the rest of the tongue. The pearls burst to release a sensual medley of light salinity, a creamy flow and a nutty residue with a light sweetness which appears then disappears like a hidden. The texture is delicate and jelly-like a firmness like no other. The privacy of the apartment aids this moment as my eyes closed I continue to feel the pearls in my tongue and gently let them flow. I awake from the moment breathless and reach for the champagne. I tip the glass on the angle and the golden bubbles flows like a pied piper directional order onto my tongue.
Well, I had to take a deep breath and relax after reading that.

Enjoying this, and Happy Birthday!!
ArrowFlyer and mad_atta like this.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 9:22 am

Happy Birthday! Would love to see some pictures to accompany the interesting narrative.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 3:41 pm

Great review!
ArrowFlyer likes this.
Old Sep 8, 2018, 12:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Happy birthday! I definitely thought that the apartments were only ABU-LHR and am glad their are more destinations. I loved reading this star and am glad you enjoyed it aside from the breakfast steak without wine :-
ArrowFlyer likes this.
Old Sep 8, 2018, 10:48 am

Was this an Award? If so was it difficult to get the seat? I flew etihad business on an American Award but at first had to book econo my; 2 weeks before I found Business but not First.
ArrowFlyer likes this.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 8:06 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by roadwarrier
Well, I had to take a deep breath and relax after reading that.

Enjoying this, and Happy Birthday!!
Originally Posted by amandarub
Great review!
Thank you!! Much appreciated!
Old Sep 9, 2018, 8:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gaobest
Happy birthday! I definitely thought that the apartments were only ABU-LHR and am glad their are more destinations. I loved reading this star and am glad you enjoyed it aside from the breakfast steak without wine :-
Thanks so much! The apartments are on the routes for JFK, SYD, LHR AND I think CDG. They used to have them on the MEL route but I think it got scrapped!
Old Sep 9, 2018, 8:11 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by vn33
Happy Birthday! Would love to see some pictures to accompany the interesting narrative.
Thank you!

If you'd like to see the photos / the video they're actually all on the blog; the link is at the start of the TR.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 8:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Bretteee
Was this an Award? If so was it difficult to get the seat? I flew etihad business on an American Award but at first had to book econo my; 2 weeks before I found Business but not First.
It was an Award seat. It was booked 9 months ahead and there was availability but anything which touches JFK is difficult with Etihad.
Bretteee likes this.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 1:13 am
Original Poster

Here is my review of my second flight of the journey:
Flight: EY103
Carrier: Etihad Airways
Class: First Class Apartment
Depart: Abu Dhabi
Arrive: New York

The review is below. I did take a fair few photos and compiled a mini YouTube Video Dairy of the flight - If you want to check them out you can view them on my blog site – https://lifeofatravelczar.com/etihad-first-class-apartments-abu-dhabi-to-new-york/

THE LOUNGE
I land from my flight from Abu Dhabi and head to the lounge. The First Class Lounge in Abu Dhabi is lovely, there’s beautiful bar areas, a cigar lounge, an open dining area, a spa and a set of shower suites. It is a pretty impressive lounge. Given I had a fair bit to eat on the flight, I decline the dining options and don’t even drink in the lounge. I opt for the spa treatment to rejuvenate myself and before long I have to leave the lounge to clear U.S. Customs and Border Protection (US CBP) through the pre-clearance facility.

I have mixed views on the pre-clearance facility in Abu Dhabi. On the plus side you get to land in the USA as a domestic flight and hence all you have to do is pick up your luggage and head out of the airport. But on the other hand, you have leave the First Class lounge a good 1-2 hours before departure and go through another set of security checks and then clear US CBP. Mind you there is a premium lounge once you’ve gone through US CBP, but it is woeful compared to the First Class Lounge. If you’re a US Citizen or with one of the priority programmes (Nexus, TSA preclearance, etc.) you’d probably prefer if they didn’t have a pre-clearance facility and go through the process on US soil, but all passengers must do the pre-clearance.

THE APARTMENT
Eventually I board the flight to New York and I’m on the Airbus A380. The apartment and configuration is the same as my prior trip; There are nine private apartments on the A380 which are fully enclosed; the product is almost unparalleled to anything I’ve flown before.

There is 30-inch reclining lounge chair with full massage functions, a separate full-length ottoman which transforms into a fully flat bed. The chair and the ottoman are upholstered by Poltrona Frau, which provide the leather for Ferrari’s interiors. The only difference is the chair and ottoman have a dark chocolate coloured leather rather than the toffee colour on my previous flight.

THE AMENITY KIT AND PYJAMAS
I am provided with Etihad’s pyjamas which are designed by “A Friend Of Mine By Xpoze,” which is a local UAE fashion house. I slip them on soon after take-off. Etihad Airways also provided a luxury amenity bag from luxe fashion house Christian Lacroix and these were stocked with beautiful amenities from Hungarian skincare brand, Omorovicza.

THE CHAMPAGNE
Prior to take-off I am offered a glass of champagne by Daniela, one of the crew members for the flight; she’s so sweet and charming. She asks me the purpose of my trip and I mention it’s my birthday. She notes “oh so you’re a Leo”. I naturally assume she is also a Leo – only the best people are! But when I inquire; she states that she’s not a Leo, but her father is.

The champagne is the Charles Heidsieck, Brut Réserve, Champagne (2006) which was the same one as the flight to Abu Dhabi; so here are my tasting notes from that flight: “There are wonderful floral, tea, honey and beautiful stone fruits (notably white peach) aromas with hints of nuts after the champagne has settled. On the palate there is a beautiful minerality and flow which guides the wine, the stone fruit flavours and acidity present themselves quite strongly with little lag. There is a hint of rich creamy texture of taste intermingled with honey which surfaces in the finish which is quite something – it exudes a sense of richness of the champagne.”

The flight departs at around 3am in the morning, so after take-off, I decline to have dinner but state that I’ll sleep and then have the meal later in the flight. The chef takes my order for lunch and he’ll prepare lunch when I wake-up. I love the dine on demand which some other airlines lack – it saves you from force feeding yourself at some unearthly hour.

THE BED
The bed gets made and I watch the Minions for a bit before nodding off to sleep. The fully lie-flat bed had a comfortable mattress, plush duvet, smooth cotton sheets, and pillows. I loved the mosaic patterned pillow and the cabin temperature was spot on which is quite rare.

LUNCH
I awake during the flight and open the window and see that we’re in sunlight. My sleep patterns are thrown with all the time zone changes. I love taking photos of the inflight food and beverage in daylight as they turn out much better than night time snaps even if the cabin lighting is bright. I ask to have lunch served and the chef obliges.

I open the windows and the rest of the cabin is in the cover of darkness. Although the apartments are fully enclosed, the doors are a little lower than I realised so the natural light flows into the cabin disturbing the other passengers, who promptly protest. Rosel, the cabin manager, approaches me to state that other passengers have complained. I was expecting them to shutter the windows; which would have been devastating, as I delayed dinner just so I could snap the food & wine in daylight.

Rosel says she’s not going to ask me to shutter the windows completely, but just to do a semi-shutter. The A380 windows have three settings, closed, open and then a light shade (the semi shutter) which is in between the two modes. So, I do the semi-shutter and there’s still enough light to take some snaps to share with you. I was impressed with the way this was handled; on other flights I have been ordered to close the windows, but here a decent compromise is offered by the crew and the situation was handled so well.

Signature Caviar Service: I start with the caviar. Like the earlier flight, Etihad serves Russian Oscietra caviar which is one of the world’s prized caviars and is harvested from the Ossetra sturgeon from the Caspian Sea. The caviar’s grey and golden reflective colour glows with an alluring invitation. I have had this on the flight before and it was a magical moment. Second time is also a charm; I place a little dollop on the mother of pearl spoon, and taste it and almost relive the initial moment – it’s quite a sensation. Each beautiful pearl contains a sensual medley of light salinity, a creamy flowiness, a nutty residue with a gentle sweetness which appears then disappears like a hidden treasure. The texture is precise and leaves a majestic feel on the tongue.

The stone fruit flavours and acidity of the champagne lather on the palate to contrast quite nicely with the salinity of the caviar – there is a hint of latent salinity in this champagne which nicely melds to the sweet and salt together. The chef enters the apartment to check in on me and catches me savouring a moment of the caviar experience which proves mildly embarrassing. But there’s nothing to be ashamed about immersing oneself in this experience; it’s an assortment of taste, sensation, pleasure and luxury.

Wine: I opt again for the Ch teau Moulin-Haut-Laroque, Fronsac, Bordeaux, France, 2012. Here are my tasting notes from the prior flight: “There are beautiful aromas of berry and smoke which are quite tantalising. The blackberry fruit with hints of vanilla and wet cedar flow effortless on the palate without much bite. There is some good acidity to balance the fruit and some nice chewy well integrated tannins which balance the wine.”

Arabic Mezze: The Arabic mezze plate has some pita, tabouleh, hummus, another middle eastern dip, lamb kibbeh and a pastie. I tuck into the mezze and its rustic, I especially love tangy rustic hummus and the beautiful kibbeh. It’s a lovely interwoven taste of the gulf. If I close my eyes I could almost imagine sitting crossed legged in a traditional Emirati house enjoying such cuisine.

Steak Frites: Fillet of Beef, Frites Tomatoes, Béarnaise: When I placed the order before I slept, I did ask for the beef, dish but I was brought out the Steak Frites from the Lounge and Grill section the menu. Maybe I wasn’t clear (and I suspect that was the case), but I did think about sending it back and asking for the beef tenderloin from the a la carte menu, but I thought, why not try it and I can always ask for the other dish.

I’m glad I did. The steak was cooked to perfection. It was tender and layered to perfection – the smoked caramelised outer portion, the medium ring just below it and the jelly like rare centre. The heat must have been just right for the steak to cook with evenly and precision. The juices flow effortlessly through the beef, its natural flavour shines thoroughly and it was seasoned just right! I have oddly had some amazing steaks in the sky than on the ground, and this one was a culinary master stroke. I sit there and gently work my way through the steak, each piece is savoured for as long as possible then washed down with the Ch teau Moulin-Haut-Laroque.

It is a gentle pleasure to work my way through this steak – I almost picture myself at a Friday lunch at 21 or the Four Seasons in idyllic fashion genteelly letting every minute linger for as long as it can. The frites are quite the treat; I don’t ever recall having these on a flight before; moist fluffy potato encased within the light crisp outer layer of the chip. It’s a little contrast of textures and pleasure found in simplicity.

I skip dessert and continue sipping the Ch teau Moulin-Haut-Laroque and watching movies and bit of the live TV.

THE LOUNGE
I wander down to the shared lounge area in between the First and Business Class cabins. There is no one at the circular lounge on this flight, so I have the area to myself. Daniela kindly pours me my choice red wine, although apparently, I don’t get the large wine glasses as they can only use the smaller glasses in the area. I relax at chill in the area, before realising that no one else is going to join me – all the passengers onboard seem to be asleep which is downright frustrating, so I head back to the apartment.

THE SHOWER
I had requested a shower just before landing so I’m super fresh! Daniela prepares the shower and lets me it’s ready, but given the time to landing I only have 15 minutes which I’m fine with. I skip the induction given I’m familiar with the functionality.

The shower suite is roomy and I love the rainforest style effect. I love the amenities from Omorovicza and feel suitably refreshed prior to landing. The water flow was amazing and I certainly didn’t feel like I had just been on two long-haul flights. The first shower was quite an experience, but this one was more practical as I was landing in New York in the morning and check-in only opens at around 2pm at the hotel.

BREAKFAST
Scrambled Eggs with potato salad, veal rasher, hollandaise: I opt for silky scrambled eggs, potatoes and veal rashers. This time, the chef provides the wine for the pairing. It is a moment of luxe but with the signature simplicity of the moment to tuck into beautiful buttery silky scrambled eggs onboard with a nice touch of salinity and crisp of the rashers. The fluffy potatoes are a treat and the rich thick creamy hollandaise holds the dish together.

I sip the coffee and the wine interchangeably as we head across towards the US east coast. It’s quite a treat when the eggs are as fluffy as the clouds you’re gazing at through the window.

The flight eventually commences its descent into New York (JFK). Grey skies greet our arrival but the cameras on board provide a good view as we land. I head off the plane and pick up my luggage and make my way into beautiful New York City.

OVERALL
This flight was one of the best flights I’ve been on: I would confirm the aspects of the hard product from my previous summation; the apartment is probably the most amazing product out there (albeit now rivalled by Singapore’s new First Suite which I haven’t tried). It is spacious, offers unparalleled levels of privacy, a spacious bed / ottoman, very wide lounge chair. There are wonderful touches such as extensive lighting options, in-seat massages, private mini-bar and vanity cupboard. I have heard reports previously of the bed being too hard, but I didn’t find this to be the case, the duvet and the bedding was quite comfortable and I did enjoy a lovely night’s sleep.

The reason this flight stood out was because of the service and the chef; The three crew members who looked after me were on the ball throughout the flight. They were friendly, personable, charming and engaging at a level that was above my experience on other carriers which are normally renowned for personable service. Daniela, Rosel and the chef (whose name escapes me) were just incredibly impressive. This is especially pertinent given it was an overnight flight where normally the service levels would be trimmed compared to a daytime flight. Not on this flight – it was a full court press!

The standard of food on this flight was a step up; the caviar would receive the same marks as the prior flight, the steak and frites was just perfect and will be my go to dish in the future – I did my best to savour every moment of it. I admit I’m not a connoisseur of Arabic mezze was well set out and was better than what I had on Qatar a few years back. The scrambled eggs were a winner…. well executed scrambled eggs never go astray in my books. The chef tailored each dish and some of the dishes had special touches which weren’t on the menu. The wine list still probably lacked the punch of JAL’s cellar, but the champagne was decent and the Chateau Moulin-Haut-Laroque did grow on me on this flight.

Now the shower proved to be pretty important on this flight and was a winner. I landed in New York in the morning and as it turned out the hotel took forever to get my room ready beyond my expected check-in time. Feeling super refreshed I could take a stroll through midtown Manhattan without having to hang around waiting for my hotel check-in to freshen up. Definitely my favourite First Class experience!
Old Sep 20, 2018, 5:31 am

Programs: Infinity Milage Lands Gold,Star Alliance Gold, IHG Diamond RA, Kimpton Inner Circle
Great report, you certainly know how to do things in style and I love how you seem to absorb and enjoy every moment of the experience.
ArrowFlyer likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 2:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by shoven
Great report, you certainly know how to do things in style and I love how you seem to absorb and enjoy every moment of the experience.
Awww thank you! I do love to immerse myself in the moment and the novelty of air travel has (fortunately) never worn off even after all these years.
Old Jul 6, 2019, 7:51 pm

ArrowFlyer thanks for a fabulous tr. I will be flying ey F for the first time in may of 2020 It will be jnb/auh/iad. Only the last segment will be in F and it is not the apartment or the a380. It is the 787-9. So I am sure it will not be the same as the experience you had. I have high expectations for the food and service.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 3:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Arrow Flyer, your background in food and wines shines through and contributes to this being an overall superior trip report. Sorry I missed it earlier. I must've gotten lost in a bottle of MD 20-20.. It happens with that particular brand, along with nightly bottles of Jack Daniels.

I do love to immerse myself in the moment and the novelty of air travel has (fortunately) never worn off even after all these years.
Good for you! I occasionally get the sense from some of the tired old stiffs that present or comment on these reports that the reporter or commenter is blase as to the food and services, and that everything is pretty much expected as opposed to being appreciated for what it's worth. For this type of posters (See BA Forum) it is clear that the magic of First Class air travel has long since worn off. Good for you for keeping the flame kindled. You Da Man!

Last edited by Seat 2A; Jul 7, 2019 at 3:34 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.