Wiki Posts
Search

Escape to the sun - ABZ-LHR-MAD-SVQ and back

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2018, 1:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond, Mucci de buveur de gin
Escape to the sun - ABZ-LHR-MAD-SVQ and back

I needed to book something to get me away from Aberdeen for a long weekend in the summer. I'd done a few London trips but I wanted to head off somewhere to get some sunshine for the weekend. I have done a few Spanish cities - they are always good for the TPs coming from Aberdeen (200 connecting via Madrid). So I decided on Seville after playing around with a few places. Ģ430 later and I was booked for three nights in the city of oranges (I'm not sure if that's its correct title but when I think of Seville I think of oranges!).

I left work and headed home after getting a few bits and bobs. I booked myself into the Hampton hotel right by Aberdeen airport for the Thursday night as the flight to London was at 6.55am so I thought I would get slightly some more shut eye.... and at Ģ42 for a night, who can complain?! The ride across on the airport bus was quick - 30 mins - and the sun was setting as we made our way across to ABZ.

The Hampton is fine for the night. It used by a lot of the offshore workers in Aberdeen so it is always quite busy. There's a limited menu in the bar but it's not too bad. I grabbed. panini and a few beers and headed up to (the very comfy) bed for a few hours shut eye before my alarm went off at 5.40am!

The hotel is in a great location - just 10 mins walk from the entrance to the terminal building. So I toddled on down just before 6am. Timed it brilliantly - I was at the terminal just after 6am, through security by 6.10am and time for a few espressos in the new BA Aberdeen lounge before boarding was called.

BA1301, ABZ - LHR, A320, G-EUYS

I was welcomed on board with a "Good Afternoon!" by the lovely Gaynor who then realised her mistake..... "Oh, I'm all over the place this morning!". Everyone was on board really quickly and we sat for a while. There were air traffic restrictions in London so we had to sit for about 40 mins to wait. The crew in CE were brilliant and took around glasses of water which was a nice touch.

We took off around 10 mins late and made our way south to London.

Breakfast in CE was the usual affair r- cooked English breakfast or vegetarian omelette. I obv went for the meat option....

Accompanied with a Buck's Fizz cause, ya know......holidays! Gaynor was great - when she noticed I was half finished my drink she would take my glass away and top it up with orange juice. Much appreciated and it's crews like these which make me enjoy flying BA - ones which notice the small details and just act without the passenger having to ask.

We came in over central London and got the usual nice views out of the window as we came into Heathrow.

One of my friends was in the CCR when I landed so he kindly guested me in there and we enjoyed a good few hours together having some breakfast, drinking some LPGS and having some Espresso Martinis! The time passed WAY too quick!

Just before 11am, I headed down to A18 (so handy for being in the lounge) to get in board the IB flight to Madrid. Not sure about anyone else but I will always book Iberia between London and Madrid and Madrid to London. I think they are so much better than BA. Added to that, you get get wide body flight back every afternoon on Iberia (A359 coming up when I return hopefully). Granted, BA do put a 777 on that route but it isn't year round.

Stay tuned!
roadwarrier, nequine and kosy91 like this.

Last edited by stu1985; Sep 1, 2018 at 11:44 am
Old Aug 26, 2018, 5:07 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Miles and Smiles, Hhonors, ICHotels
Great to see another TR from you!! looking forward to this one.
stu1985 likes this.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 1:00 am

Programs: BA Bronze, Emirates Silver, Virgin Silver, Marriott Titanium
Fantastic sunset over Marshall College! Sunrise over Dyce wasn't bad either!

Looking forward to reading the rest of your report. My family had a weekend in Seville not to long ago but think you'll have had a different trip to the one they did!
stu1985 likes this.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 1:08 pm

Programs: Free agent!
Originally Posted by stu1985
I wanted to head off somewhere to get some head for the weekend.
Either this means something completely different in the UK or FT got a lot more, uh, "adult" recently
Old Sep 1, 2018, 11:45 am
Original Poster

Oh my goodness! I'm not even sure if that was an auto-correct or I wasn't paying attention!
Old Sep 1, 2018, 12:25 pm
Original Poster

LHR - MAD, BA510 (operated by Iberia), A321, EC-HUI

I got on board and took my seat in 1A - luckily, I didn't have a seatmate today which was nice. Load in Business was 6. Down the back looked pretty busy.

It was a relatively long taxi all the other way to the end of the airport. My friend was travelling to Budapest and we had a race to see who got to the runway and off first..... I won!

After take off, the curtain was closed and the crew set about the service. We got offered small cold towels from a packet and were then offered the menu.

Service took a while to get started and we were offered the lunch and drinks at the same time. With such a small load in business, you'd have thought that the crew might have done a drinks run first. I went with the steak for lunch and it was great - a far superior offering to what BA offer on their Madrid services. The tray came with a salad, some oil and balsamic, cheese and a yoghurt.

Drinks were topped up and there was a bit of a commotion when a guy came running to the galley saying that they needed a doctor at the back. All of the crew were flying around and the captain was informed. Was wondering if we would have to divert but it appears all was well as the commotion died down thankfully. I spent the rest of the time listening to music and enjoying the scenery out of the window.

We landed in Madrid and I was first off the plane. My connection to Seville gave me an hour to enjoy a drink in the lounge. I headed upstairs but the lounge is closed for renovation. Eligible customers get ONE drinks voucher (which also gets you a snack at some of the outlets in the terminal). I did think it was a bit stingy given that you could only get a small can of beer!

Anyway, the beer wasn't meant to be. Right after I had taken that pic and was walking to find somewhere better to sit, an out of control kid ran into me and said beer went flying. Dad admonished said kid in French and offered me some money for a new beer but I didn't take anything from him. The sight of the kid's face as she realised what she had done was enough for me!

IB8516, MAD - SVQ, CRJ1000, EC-MJP

I love these wee planes! The flight was full and it felt quite cramped but the flight was only 45 mins down to Seville.

After we took off, the crew did the business class service. Normally expect a sandwich on these flights but pots of ice cream were handed out with some drinks to follow and then bottles of water and then cereal bars.

We landed in a HOT Seville - that feeling of heat which just smacks you in the face as you get off the plane was so overpowering! There were a load of taxis waiting out the front so I jumped into one and off to the Melia hotel.

Arrived at the hotel and checked in at The Level. The Level is Melia's concept for executive lounge benefits. You check in at the lounge reception, you get a drink while they do the formalities and there are canapés during the day, drinks in the evening and breakfast in the morning here too. I was checked in by a lovely Spanish lady called Carmen who asked me to enjoy a drink while she checked me in and not to rush when my key was ready. My favourite thing about Melia hotels is the smell - I'm not sure what scent they use in their hotels but it's the most gorgeous smell!

My room was on the top floor - the 11th. The room was spacious and had a nice view over the pool.

That evening, I just chilled in the lounge after having a long day. A decent sleep was needed before a day of exploring!
nequine and roadwarrier like this.
Old Sep 1, 2018, 2:10 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, Emirates Silver, Virgin Silver, Marriott Titanium
Nice looking hotel there!
Old Sep 2, 2018, 3:22 am

Programs: No more shiny cards -- former LH SEN, SPG Platinum, Flying Blue Platinum, BA Silver
Originally Posted by nequine
Nice looking hotel there!
Have stayed there before.

It is not a looker from the outside but is in a perfect location and that pool -- in the Seville summer -- is an absolute god send.

We ended up with a massive suite which gave us access to their very well provisioned lounge.

Enjoy the rest of your trip stu1985 !!
Old Sep 3, 2018, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Will be in Sevilla in a few days but decided against Melia and will go with Alfonso XIII. Will be interesting to see more.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 6:33 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus
I loved Sevilla when I was there about 45 years ago. I'd like to go back.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 4:31 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
enjoying reading your report, thanks
Old Sep 5, 2018, 12:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pdsuk

Enjoy the rest of your trip stu1985 !!
Thanks pdsuk!

Originally Posted by offerendum
Will be in Sevilla in a few days but decided against Melia and will go with Alfonso XIII. Will be interesting to see more.
Hope you enjoy your trip there offerendum

Originally Posted by HawaiiFlyerDC8
I loved Sevilla when I was there about 45 years ago. I'd like to go back.
It's definitely a very pretty city.

Originally Posted by fotographer
enjoying reading your report, thanks
Thanks fotographer - more to come!
Old Sep 5, 2018, 1:16 pm
Original Poster

After a great sleep and a decent breakfast in the lounge, I headed out into the heat. Got a great view of the Plaza de Espaņa from my bedroom as the sun came up.

I decided to walk round there first and take a look. It was an absolutely stunning Plaza - the building was beautiful and I'm not sure if the photos will do it the justice it deserves.

I loved the little canal that went around the Plaza and the fact you could hire small boats to row around. Think I timed it brilliantly that morning - there weren't many people going around when I was there. I imagine it gets packed later on in the day.

After I was sh!t on by a pigeon and managed to wash out the splat from my Toms, I took a wander into the city down by the river where I timed it well to catch a river cruise which was leaving imminently.

After getting off the boat, I headed across one of the bridges and found a wee tapas bar where I had a few much needed beers to cool down. It was 36 degrees and it was HOT! After chilling out for a while, I headed off and found a spot by the river where I had some delicious halibut.

I wandered back into the city and had a wander around some of the small back streets and then headed back to the pool to enjoy some quality time in the sun!

offerendum, Andriyko and nequine like this.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 3:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
You make me more looking forward to it.
stu1985 likes this.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 4:59 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Great trip report Stu1985! Thank you for sharing. The city looks beautiful.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.