Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Away for a Month and a Day

Away for a Month and a Day

Old Aug 22, 2018, 2:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards; AAdvantage; Alaska Mileage Plan; Wyndham Rewards; Choice Hotels
Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
Wow, a month and a day. I don’t recall that long of a trip before.
That was not just ONE trip it was ELEVEN total trips on that tour of duty. And that is only about half as long as the longest I've been out at one time. My longest tour of duty was in 2010 and I was out for 61 days.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 2:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by Loose Cannon
That was not just ONE trip it was ELEVEN total trips on that tour of duty. And that is only about half as long as the longest I've been out at one time. My longest tour of duty was in 2010 and I was out for 61 days.
Well by one trip, I mean length of time away from home.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 3:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards; AAdvantage; Alaska Mileage Plan; Wyndham Rewards; Choice Hotels
Almost Missed Flight; Change in Destination; Leaky Truck

Tour of Duty 27th June 2018 to 28th July 2018
Part IV: 10th July to 16th July

Tuesday morning my alarm woke me at a very early hour. As I mentioned at the end of Part III, I did not sleep well the previous night due to my hotel being directly in the landing path of jetliners landing at RDU. I checked out of hotel, headed to the rental car return and returned the car and then got the shuttle to the terminal. I checked at the skycap due to long queue inside then there was another queue at security. Though I did not have Pre Check I was nevertheless directed to a Metal Detector so I did not have decide whether or not to opt out. My briefcase was given additional inspection. Time from beginning of check in to clear of security was 37 minutes. I took a seat in the waiting area and I got confused about what flight was boarding out of what gate and then I heard my name paged so I reported and learned that my flight had just boarded. I was one of the last to board.

Southwest #1629 RDU-BNA B-737-700 Boarding Pass B55
Seat 6E Cruising altitude 34,000 feet Estimated flying time 1:04, actual 1:04
Depart: Gate A8 Scheduled departure 06h40, actual 06h44 Taxi: 7 minutes
Arrive: Gate C19 Scheduled arrival 07h05, actual 07h00 Taxi: 4 minutes

We boarded via jetway. Because of the confusion I had I was stuck in a middle seat. The plane was almost full. Pushback was 4 minutes late and takeoff was to the north. I got a glimpse of downtown Raleigh to the distance out of the window. Then I got a glimpse of Durham at 0:03. I got pretzels at 0:10 and got cup of soda at 0:16. Cruise was announced and seatbelt sign went off at 0:17. I got cup of soda at 0:25. I felt descent at 0:38. Descent was announced and seatbelt sign went on at 0:42 and it was announced it was 75F and clear at BNA. We landed north to south and arrived at gate 5 minutes early. We deplaned via jetway.

Southwest #2560 BNA-MKE B-737-700 Boarding Pass B25
Seat 23F Cruising altitude 35,000 feet Estimated flying time 1:10, actual 1:10
Depart: Gate C25 Scheduled departure 09h50, actual 09h50 Taxi: 7 minutes
Arrive: Gate C23 Scheduled arrival 11h45, actual 11h10 Taxi: 2 minutes
Reclaim checked bags 22-24 minutes after arrival

We boarded via jetway. The plane was not totally full, I had entire row to myself. Pushback was right on time and takeoff was to the south. We made turns west and north and I saw downtown Nashville at 0:01. Then we got into some clouds and I felt some real good bumps on climb. Seatbelt sign went off at 0:15 upon cruise. We crossed the Ohio River into Indiana airspace at 0:17. I got pretzels at 0:20 and we crossed Interstate 64 at the same time. At 0:28 I saw what must have been Bloomington, IN and Interstate 69. At 0:32 we crossed Interstate 70 and I saw IND through breaks in the clouds. At 0:35 we crossed Interstate 74 and I saw Interstate 65 and Lebanon, IN. I got cup of soda at 0:37. Descent was announced and seatbelt sign went on at 0:44 and it was announced there were few clouds and it was 79F at MKE. We crossed Interstates 80 and 94 and I saw Interstate 65 and Gary, IN at 0:49. We went over Lake Michigan at 0:58 and made turn toward shore at 0:59. We made landfall at 1:04 and landed south to north. We arrived at gate 35 minutes early and deplaned via jetway. After I reclaimed my checked bags I got transport to the location the truck was staged.

Trip: Saukville, WI to Joliet, IL 150 paid miles
Make: 2019 Kenworth
Model: Vacuum Truck
Transmission: Automatic
Route: Wisconsin 33 to Interstate 43 to Interstate 39 to Interstate 80
Maximum elevation: unknown
Diesel price USA: 3.199$ per gallon at Pilot Minooka, IL

I made the pickup and stopped at McDonald's for midday rations before getting on the Interstate. I ended driving more miles than I absolutely had to but I altered my route to give a wide berth to the Chicago area. There were a few raindrops around Rockford, IL. I had only one toll (I would have had more tolls had I gone through the Chicago area) and I learned that tolls on the Illinois Tollway system were hiked only for trucks, not cars. After I checked into hotel I phoned up Jimmy John's and had a sandwich delivered to me for evening rations. I spent the night in Rochelle, IL.

Wednesday was a warm day in the mid 80'sF with some humidity and discomfort. I got underway and made a stop in Ottawa, IL to get some supplies. Then I made another stop in Minooka, IL to take on some fuel. I made it to Joliet, IL where I dropped off the truck and switched my gear to another truck I picked up at the same location for my next trip.

Trip: Joliet, IL to original destination of Greenville, SC but destination changed to Wharton, NJ 767 paid miles
Make: 2019 Kenworth
Transmission: Standard straight 10-speed
Route: Interstate 80 to New Jersey 15
Maximum elevation: 2,250 feet Interstate 80 about 10 miles west of Clearfield, PA
Highest diesel price USA: 3.459$ per gallon at Pilot Roxbury, NJ
Lowest diesel price USA: 3.399$ per gallon at Pilot Fremont, IN and Flying J Hubbard, OH

I did the inspection and got underway. The weigh scale on eastbound Interstate 80 in Illinois was open but I was directed to the bypass lane. I stopped at the Oasis in South Holland, IL and saw a message from the company that the destination was changed from Greenville, SC to Wharton, NJ. I was given the option to take the truck back to Joliet if I did not want to go to New Jersey but I opted to stay with the trip. I was informed early enough I did not have to do any backtracking. The new destination meant that I had more toll roads than I had planned. I made it to Fremont, IN where I spent the night.

Thursday morning I was in the shower (I always or nearly always shower in the morning to start the day fresh and clean) and the water quit in the middle of my shower! I phoned the front desk and it was not long before the water was restored. The weather was not bad. I made good time for the first half of Ohio then I encountered one construction zone after another with a few breaks. I stopped in Hubbard, OH to take on fuel. I made lousy time in Pennsylvania due to unfavourable terrain. I spent the night in Clearfield, PA.

Friday I got locked into a trip from Columbia, NJ to Gnadenhutten, OH. I learned the next truck was staged at a truckstop. I stopped at the truckstop, got the key from the fuel desk and put as much as my gear as possible in the next truck. I did the safety inspection then continued to Wharton where I dropped off the truck and then I got transport back to the truckstop to start the next trip.

Trip: Columbia, NJ to Gnadenhutten, OH 429 paid miles
Make: 2008 Sterling
Route: Interstate 80 to Interstate 76 to Ohio 8 to Interstate 77 to US250 to US36
Maximum elevation: 2,250 feet Interstate 80 about 10 miles west of Clearfield, PA
Highest diesel price USA: 3.759$ per gallon at TA Milesburg, PA
Lowest diesel price USA: 3.399$ per gallon at Flying J Hubbard, OH

I arrived back at the truckstop and got into the truck It was late enough I did not get very far and I spent the night in East Stroudsburg, PA.

Saturday morning I saw the truck had developed a major leak. Apparently the truck decided to mark its territory in a big way. I contacted dispatch and was told to go back to the truckstop and see if it could be fixed. I was told the wait would be about 2 hours 30 minutes but the wait instead was 7 hours 30 minutes and I learned they could not fix the leak which was a hydraulic fluid leak but by then the leak had completely run out. That hydraulic leak did not affect the drivability of the truck but instead affected the operation of the equipment. So after wasting much of the day I headed west on Interstate 80 once again and paid toll to cross the Delaware River into Pennsylvania once again. I was concerned about getting a room as nearly all hotels were either full up or jacked their prices up sky high. I finally found a good deal. I saw fireflies in New Jersey and I saw some lightning in Pennsylvania. I spent the night in Berwick, PA.

Thunder woke me up Sunday morning. It was raining but the rain quit by the time I was ready to leave. I proceeded into Bloomsburg and attended part of the morning service at Bloomsburg Baptist Church in Bloomsburg, PA. The message was on First Kings 18:30 about the prophet Elijah where God wants to be exalted in His Servants. Afterward I took some pictures of downtown Bloomsburg before getting on the westbound 80. Later I had a scare where the fuel gauge went down to "empty" even though there was fuel in the tank. To play it safe I took on some fuel in Milesburg, PA. I stopped in DuBois and had evening rations at Sheetz and I liked the Grilled Cheese and Pepperoni sandwich. There was construction and stop and go traffic due to lane closure near Emlenton, PA. I saw the sunset in Harrisville/Barkeyville, PA. I saw fireflies in Mercer County, PA. I took on fuel in Hubbard, OH and then I got a hotel and spent the night in Youngstown, OH.

Monday I proceeded west on Interstate 76, south on Ohio 8 then south on Interstate 77 to New Philadelphia where I took US250 then US36 to my destination and I dropped off the truck in a rural area near Gnadenhutten, OH. Just after I completed delivery a thunderstorm hit with heavy rain. The rain quit and I got a lift to Enterprise Rent A Car in New Philadelphia, OH where I got in a rental car bound for Toledo, OH to get the next truck.

I had some rain and thunderstorms at times en route. I stopped and saw part of the Cuyahoga Valley National Park near Valley View, OH. I then had some rain off and on and proceeded into downtown Cleveland where I parked and took some pictures. I saw a rainbow while in Cleveland. Then I proceeded west on Interstate 90 and west on Ohio 2 in order to avoid the Ohio Turnpike and I stopped and took some nighttime pictures of Sandusky, OH. I continued to avoid the Turnpike and ended up spending the night in Millbury, OH.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 4:06 am
Original Poster

WN2560 BNA-MKE 10th July 2018

Nashville just after takeoff

Nashville area

Nashville area

Ohio River

Service

Indiana Coast of Lake Michigan

Going over Lake Michigan

Landfall

Approach into MKE
Old Aug 22, 2018, 4:17 am
Original Poster

Pictures

Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Milwaukee, Wisconsin

My ride from Saukville, Wisconsin to Joliet, Illinois

My ride from Joliet, Illinois to Wharton, New Jersey

My ride from Columbia, New Jersey to Gnadenhutten, Ohio

sunset Columbia, New Jersey 14th July 2018

Sanctuary of Bloomsburg Baptist Church Bloomsburg, Pennsylvania

Bloomsburg, Pennsylvania

Bloomsburg, Pennsylvania

Bloomsburg, Pennsylvania
Old Aug 22, 2018, 4:29 am
Original Poster

Even More Pictures

Cuyahoga Valley National Park near Valley View, Ohio

Cleveland, Ohio

Cleveland, Ohio

Cleveland, Ohio

Cleveland, Ohio

Cleveland, Ohio

Cleveland, Ohio

Sandusky, Ohio

Sandusky, Ohio
standch likes this.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 4:30 am
Original Poster

Back and Forth Between Ohio and New Jersey; Detour Thru Memory Lane

Part V: 17th July to 22nd July

I awoke on Tuesday the 17th of July in Millbury, Ohio near Toledo. I stopped at a Tim Horton's for midday rations then I headed to the shipper where I checked in, loaded the truck and did the inspection before heading to a filling station then I turned in the rental car and got a lift back to the truck.

Trip: Toledo, OH to Totowa, NJ 551 paid miles
Make: 2018 Mack
Model: Garbage Truck
Route: Interstate 280 to Interstate 80 to Interstate 79 to Pennsylvania 208 to
Highest diesel price USA: 3.459$ per gallon at Sheetz DuBois, PA
Lowest diesel price USA: 3.299$ per gallon at Lake Township (Toledo area), OH

This was not a comfortable ride due to the location of the front axle relative to where I was sitting. I stopped to take on fuel before getting on the Ohio Turnpike. I ended up making it to West Middlesex, PA where I spent the night.

Wednesday, I was not too happy as I displayed the "Do Not Disturb" Sign outside the door of my hotel room. In spite of that housekeeping knocked on the door anyway well before checkout time. I got on Interstate 80 east and encountered a traffic jam for several miles leading up to a lane closure because of road construction. There was also congestion in the work zone so I took a detour by heading south on Interstate 79 and then taking the first exit I came to and headed east on Pennsylvania 208 into Grove City, PA. At an intersection just outside Grove City, I saw a sign saying I was four miles from North Liberty. That meant I was only four miles away from the graveyard where one set of my grandparents are buried. Furthermore that graveyard is just across the road from that farm that those grandparents owned for many years before they moved into Grove City proper. As I turned left to take Pennsylvania 173 north, I passed by Grove City College, where both my parents and my sister went to school. After passing through downtown Grove City, I rejoined eastbound Interstate 80 and my detour through memory lane came to an end. I made lousy time due to more construction zones and a crash. I was not familiar with areas farther east to attempt any more detours. I stopped in DuBois, PA to take on fuel and waited for awhile as I learned Interstate 80 was totally closed due to a crash. I ate while I was waiting then after I learned the Interstate was open I got underway and made the mistake of getting back on the Interstate as I immediately encountered a large parking lot as traffic had not yet cleared. I crawled forward and stopped and crawled forward again and finally resumed normal speed which was 45-50mph for the garbage truck. It took a total of 8 hours to drive 229 miles that day and I made it to Danville, PA where I spent the night.

Thursday, I continued east and was not sure if I would make make it in time for delivery due to another traffic jam I encountered leading up to a construction zone near Hazleton, PA. I phoned up the customer and I ended up barely making delivery minutes before the receiver closed for the day. I ended up booking a hotel room and I got transport to the hotel and spent the night in Parsippany, NJ.

Friday I did not have a very good choice of trips as there were no trucks available in New Jersey. I ended up getting locked into a trip from Twinsburg, OH to Wharton, NJ. There were no rental cars in Parsippany so I had to get transport to East Hanover, NJ and the only thing immediately available was a Ford F-250 Pickup Truck. That vehicle was much less fuel efficient than the usual rental cars. I took US46 west to Columbia and stopped in Columbia, NJ for a pit stop and snack. Then I stopped at the Kittatinny Visitor Center in the Delaware Water Gap on the New Jersey side of the Delaware River where I took some pictures. Afterward I crossed the Delaware River into Pennsylvania. I stopped in downtown Milton, PA to take more pictures. I stopped in Bellefonte, PA and had evening rations at Sheetz. Then I continued west on Interstate 80 and made it to Barkeyville, PA where I spent the night.

Saturday I continued west and had a few raindrops in Twinsburg, OH. I headed to the shipper where the truck was staged and loaded my gear into the truck and did the inspection before heading to Solon, OH where I turned in the rental car. Then I got transport back to the truck.

Trip: Twinsburg, OH to Wharton, NJ 406 paid miles
Make: 2018 Kenworth
Transmission: Standard Straight 10-speed
Route: Ohio 91 to Interstate 480 to Interstate 80 to US19 to Pennsylvania 208 to Interstate 79 to Interstate 80 to New Jersey 15
Highest diesel price USA: 3.659$ per gallon at Pilot DuBois, PA
Lowest diesel price USA: 3.339$ per gallon at Flying J Hubbard, OH and Pilot Roxbury, NJ

I got underway and stopped in Hubbard, OH to take on fuel. After I entered Pennsylvania I took another detour to avoid anticipated construction and this time I headed south on US19 then east on Pennsylvania 208. I stopped at Hoss's Steak & Sea House for evening rations. Afterward I got on northbound Interstate 79 then rejoined the eastbound 80. Raindrops started around Clarion, PA and there was light to moderate rain as I shut down and spent the night in Brookville, PA.

Sunday morning the fire alarm went off at my hotel. The front desk told me it was a false alarm but firemen checked each room anyway. It was dry to start and stayed dry for the first 150 miles or so. Rain started east of Bloomsburg, PA and there were some downpours and cloudbursts around Hazleton, PA as well as White Haven, PA. It was dry in the Stroudsburg area. After I entered New Jersey there was mist, drizzle and fog for the most part. I stopped in Roxbury, NJ to take on fuel then I made an after hours drop at the receiver in Wharton, NJ. Then I got transport to my hotel and checked in and afterwards I walked to the Budd Lake Diner where I had late evening rations. I spent a rainy night in Budd Lake, NJ.

My ride from Toledo, Ohio to Totowa, New Jersey

My ride from Twinsburg, Ohio to Wharton, New Jersey
Old Aug 23, 2018, 4:40 am
Original Poster

Miscellaneous Pictures

Totowa, New Jersey

Delaware Water Gap, New Jersey

Milton, Pennsylvania

Milton, Pennsylvania

Milton, Pennsylvania

Milton, Pennsylvania

Milton, Pennsylvania

Milton, Pennsylvania

Twinsburg, Ohio

Late evening rations 22nd July 2018 at Budd Lake Diner Budd Lake, NJ
Old Aug 24, 2018, 12:34 am
Original Poster

A Trip to the Finger Lakes Followed By A Trip Through the Woods.

Part VI: 23rd July to 27th July

Monday 23rd August I awoke to better weather. I ended up getting locked into a trip from Bellefonte, PA to Farmington, NY. I had to travel to Ledgwood, NJ to get the rental car. I took US46 west in lieu of Interstate 80 all the way to Columbia, NJ. There were a few raindrops then I had some cloudbursts and downpours around White Haven, PA then more downpours near Loganton, PA. I made it late to Bellefonte, PA where I spent the night.

Tuesday it was rainy but not as bad and there were some breaks in the precipitation. I headed to the shipper and loaded the truck and a heavy downpour interfered with the safety inspection. After the rain let up I continued the inspection then staged the truck outside the gate. Afterward I headed to where I thought I was to turn in the rental car and found no one was there so I then headed to SCE and turned in the car and got transport back to the shipper.

Trip: Bellefonte, PA to Farmington, NY 195 paid miles
Make: 2019 Ford
Model: Small Tank Truck
Route: Pennsylvania 150 to Interstate 80 to US220 to Interstate 99 to Interstate 86 to Interstate 390 to New York 15 to New York 253
Maximum elevation: 2,157 feet at Bloss Mountain about 6 miles north of Liberty, PA
Highest Diesel Price USA: 3.699$ per gallon at Pilot Mill Hall, PA
Lowest Diesel Price USA: 3.499$ per gallon at Sheetz Bellefonte, PA

There was not much special about this trip. I drove a few more miles than the most direct route due to staying on the big road and the need to secure lodging in Henrietta, NY as I was not aware of any lodging in Farmngton, NY. I spent the night in Henrietta, NY.

Wednesday there was rain early then the rain quit. I got locked into the next trip. I made delivery then had to get transport to ROC where I got into a rental car bound for BUF. Before leaving the Rochester area, I stopped at a Verizon location to get a new charger cord for my mobile phone. The difference between the old cord and the new cord was like night and day. I stopped for a snack at Tim Horton's at a Service Area not too far east of the Buffalo area. I went to First Bible Baptist Church in Lockport, NY for midweek service and the message was on Second Timothy 2:12-15. After the service I headed to the hotel where I had a room reserved and checked in. Then I had evening rations at Friendly's which consisted of a Fish and Chips meal followed by a custom-made Ice Cream Sundae for dessert. I spent the night in Amherst, NY.

Thursday the weather was fair. I drove to a repair shop where the truck was. I loaded the truck and did inspection. Then I headed to Tim Horton's across the street from BUF where I had midday rations. Afterward I went to a filling station to top off the tank then I turned in the rental car at BUF before getting transport back to the truck.

Trip: Buffalo, NY to Frederick, MD. 356 actual miles
Make: 2011 International
Model: Bucket Truck
Route: US62 to Interstate 190 to Interstate 90 to US219 to Interstate 86 to US219 to Pennsylvania 255 to Pennsylvania 153 to Interstate 80 to Pennsylvania 970 to US322 to Pennsylvania 350 to Interstate 99 to US30 to Interstate 70
Maximum elevation: 2,305 feet Red Hill Summit Allegheny Mountains Pennsylvania 255 midway between St-Marys, PA and Weedville, PA
Highest Diesel Price USA: 3.699$ per gallon at Sapp Brothers Clearfield, PA
Lowest Diesel Price USA: 3.099$ per gallon at Jim's Buffalo, NY

I headed to the nearest truckstop which was Jim's in Buffalo, NY. I saw signs saying that parking was for customers "while here" and when you leave take your truck and trailer with you. The air conditioner did not really work so this was not a very pleasant trip and fortunately it was a short though slow trip. The truck did not do well going up upgrades so I did not make very good time. In Pennsylvania I went through part of the Allegheny National Forest and I had some two-lane roads and the terrain was unfavourable as I was in the Allegheny Mountains. I had a downgrade where I had to stop and then there was a truck speed limit of 20mph. I ended up spending a sometimes stormy night in Clearfield, PA.

Friday traffic I encountered a major delay as there was road construction at the intersection of Pennsylvania 970 and US322. There was a flagger stopping and directing traffic as only one lane was open. I experienced a thunderstorm in the Altoona area on Interstate 99. I talked to the customer and got instructions for an after hours delivery. I held short in Hancock, MD and while I waited I paid a visit to the Chesapeake and Ohio Canal National Historical Park. I parked at the truckstop and the entrance to the Hancock Visitor Center was across the street so it was a rather easy walk. I took some pictures. The Visitor Center itself was not open but some trails were. Then I headed back to the truck and checked the doppler radar and found the bad weather moved out of the Frederick area so I proceeded into Frederick where I checked into hotel and unloaded as much gear as possible into my room. Then I headed to the receiver and completed an after-hours delivery as the sun was setting. I saw some fireflies. I walked back to the hotel and stopped at Roy Rogers for evening rations on the way. I spent the night in Frederick, MD

My ride from Bellefonte, PA to Farmington, NY

My ride from Buffalo, NY to Frederick, MD
Old Aug 24, 2018, 12:43 am
Original Poster

Pictures

Roxbury, New Jersey

Hackettstown, New Jersey

Pennsylvania 255 between St-Marys and Weedville, Pennsylvania

Pennsylvania 255 between St-Marys and Weedville, Pennsylvania

Chesapeake and Ohio Canal National Historical Park Hancock, Maryland

Chesapeake and Ohio National Historical Park Hancock, Maryland

Potomac River. Chesapeake and Ohio National Historical Park Hancock, Maryland

Old Aug 24, 2018, 3:03 am
Original Poster

Alexandria, Virginia

Potomac River and Interstate 95/495 Capital Beltway

Looking Across the Potomac River

Waterfront

Looking across the Potomac River

Old Aug 24, 2018, 4:00 am
Original Poster

The Trip Home: Some Final Sightseeing and The Flight Home

Part VII: 28th July

I awoke Saturday 28th of July to a warm but not terribly hot day. There were no suitable trips available at least not without a long layover. A ticket was booked on AA IAD-LAX and I used miles for First Class. A rental car was booked from Frederick, MD to IAD. I was picked up and had to wait for a car to be ready. Actually it was a Ford F-150 pickup truck. I went to Costco to take on unleaded fuel at 2.639$ per gallon in Frederick, MD and I had midday rations there. Then I headed east on the 270 to the southbound 495 Capital Beltway then I took the eastbound George Washington Memorial Parkway, a road that is off limits to larger commercial motor vehicles. I headed into Alexandria, VA and took some pictures of Old Town Alexandria and the waterfront before heading to IAD. I turned in the rental car then got the shuttle to the terminal at IAD. I checked in and checked my bags and the weight was OK. I cleared security after a queue and did not get PreCheck. I did not opt out due to time constraints. Total time from beginning of check in to clear of security was a little under 30 minutes.

American Airlines #1339 IAD-LAX B-737-800 Group 1
Seat 4A First Class Cruising altitude 30,000 feet later 36,000 feet Estimated flying time 4:58, actual 4:57
Depart: Gate B79 Scheduled departure 18h57, actual 19h16 Taxi: 13 minutes
Arrive: Gate 40 Scheduled 21h40, actual 21h46 Taxi/hold: 19 minutes
Reclaim checked bags 28-31 minutes after arrival

We boarded via jetway. First Class was full and I learned there was only one or two empty seats in the Main Cabin. The plane was a Boeing B-737-800 with capacity of 16F/144Y for a total capacity of 160. It was announced it was 75F and winds from the west at LAX. A predeparture beverage was offered and accepted. I had a soda in a plastic cup. Pushback was 19 minutes late followed by takeoff to the north and a turn to the west. I saw Interstate 66 at 0:03 and we crossed Interstate 81 at 0:10. There was Moist Towel Service at 0:13. At 0:23 meal orders were taken over West Virginia. The only choice left was Chicken Meatbells with Polenta Sauce for the main dish and that's what I would have ordered anyway. We crossed Interstate 77 between Charleston, WV and Parkersburg, WV at 0:30. At 0:31 I saw the Charleston, WV area to the distance. At 0:33 we crossed the Kanawha River. At 0:34 we crossed the Ohio River and I Huntington, WV and vicinity to the distance.

At 0:42 I got glass and can of soda plus some mixed nuts while over the southern tip of Ohio. We crossed Interstate 75 over northern Kentucky a little south of the Cincinnati area at 0:51. At 0:54 I was served the meal on a tray (except for dessert) and in addition to the main dish there was some corn which I am allergic to and a salad that did not look appetising. However the main dish of Chicken Meatballs and Polenta Sauce was tasty. I saw Interstate 71 in northern Kentucky at 0:55. We crossed the Ohio River into southern Indiana airspace at 0:56. At :57 I was offered bread and I chose Sourdough bread. The other choices were Whole Wheat and Cheese Bread. At 0:59 we crossed Interstate 65 and I saw Louisville, KY and vicinity to the distance. At 1:00 the seatbelt sign went off. At 1:12 we crossed the Wabash River into Illinois airspace near Vincennes, IN. At 1:20 we crossed Interstate 57 and I saw Mt. Vernon, IL and Rend Lake farther out. Then I saw Interstate 64.

The seatbelt sign went on at 1:23 as I felt a few bumps. Clouds increased at 1:24 approaching the St-Louis area. We crossed the Mississippi River at 1:29 just south of St-Louis, MO. I saw the Mississippi River and Interstate 55 through a break in the clouds. At 1:34 orders were taken for Sundaes. At 1:35 we crossed Interstate 44 and I saw Rolla, MO. I got Hot Fudge Sundae made to order at 1:39. Seatbelt sign went off at 1:49. We climbed to 36,000 feet as we entered Kansas. Seatbelt sign went on at 2:18 as we crossed Interstate 35 south of Wichita, KS and I felt some bumps. Seatbelt sign went off at 2:58. I asked for and got ice water at 3:05 over northeast New Mexico. I saw the lights of Albuquerque, NM and vicinity at 3:25. At 3:28 a Snack Basket was offered and I chose Potato Chips. I forget what the other choices were. At 3:34 I got more water and saw the lights of Grants, NM.

Seatbelt sign went on at 3:47 over northeast Arizona. At 4:04 I saw lightning over northwest Arizona. I felt descent begin and descent was announced at 4:32. We crossed Interstate 15 and I saw Corona/Norco at 4:45. I got a mint at 4:48 while crossing California 57 near Diamond Bar. We crossed Interstate 605 at 4:51. We crossed Interstate 710 at 4:53. We crossed Interstate 110 at 4:54 and I was on the wrong side of the plane to see downtown Los Angeles. We crossed Interstate 405 at 4:56 and we landed east to west on one of the north runways and we had a longish taxi and arrived at gate 6 minutes late. We deplaned via jetway and I reclaimed my checked bags after a wait. I got transport home to end this tour of duty.

I do have some observations as I have flown on this same route on American three times previous. In the summer of 1976 I was a NRSA in coach on a Boeing 707 and a complimentary meal was served. I think there was a movie. Estimated flying time on that flight was 4:43. In February 1979 I was a NRSA in First Class on a Boeing 707 and there was no doubt a meal and probably a movie. Estimated flying time was 5:13 on that flight. In the summer of 1980 I was a NRSA in First Class on a McDonnell Douglas DC-10 and I was in seat 1A. No doubt there was a meal and estimated flying time was 4:36 on that flight.

I must say the meal service is not what it was like during the 1976-1980 time period. If you were to take away the mixed nuts, choice of breads and the Hot Fudge Sundae for dessert the meal I had in First Class in 2018 would be equivalent to a complimentary meal in coach in the 1976-1980 time period. Also there was more legroom in coach. The DC-10 I was on in 1980 had a capacity of 44F/220Y for a total capacity of 264 and there was usually a crew of 13. Configuration for First Class was 2x2x2 and Coach was 2x5x2 by that time. In earlier years Coach was 2x4x2.

Dulles International Airport was different during the 1976-1980 time frame. Passengers did have to go through security to board flights but security was not nearly as big a deal as it is today. In addition people could pass through security and see someone off or pick someone up at the gate. Furthermore passengers and visitors were not asked to show identification either at the ticket counter or prior to entering security. Also there were not the numerous concourses that Dulles International Airport has today. Instead there was the one terminal building and the planes parked at remote stands. There were mobile lounge vehicles that passengers boarded that went to the planes and passengers boarded directly from those mobile lounge vehicles so no stairs were required and passengers were not subject to the weather. Today there are concourses and passengers board via jetway except for small regional jets.

Last edited by Loose Cannon; Aug 24, 2018 at 4:40 am
Old Aug 24, 2018, 4:21 am
Original Poster

AA1339 IAD-LAX 28th July 2018, Pictures

Concourse B at IAD

At the Gate

View of Terminal Building at IAD

Predeparture Beverage

Pushback

Soon after takeoff

Interstate 66

Blue Ridge Mountains

Ohio River and Huntington, WV and Vicinity

Mixed Nuts and Soda

Complimentary Meal. Main Dish was Chicken Meatballs with Polenta.

Ice Water

The Lights of Albuquerque, New Mexico and Vicinity

Got Chips from the Snack Basket

Lightning over northwest Arizona

Southern California

Southern California

Diamond Bar, California 57 and the lights of north Orange County to the distance

Los Angeles County and Interstate 605

Greater Los Angeles Area

Greater Los Angeles Area

Rather Long Taxi to the Gate
Old Aug 25, 2018, 6:50 am

Programs: UA 1MM *G (recovered GS), SPG Nothing, Hilton Nothing, AA Nothing
Interesting trip! You drove right by my house near I270.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 4:23 am

Fantastic trip report as usual. Now I must wait six weeks for the next one. I love your photos^

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.