Wiki Posts
Search

Hiroshima and Tokyo in JAL Y/Y+

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2018, 8:03 am
Original Poster

Hiroshima and Tokyo in JAL Y/Y+

Background
I was looking for places to travel to for a short trip before the busy season at work started, and some friends were going on a trip to Hiroshima. Hence I decided to join them for a few days before splitting up to go to Tokyo, which I've never visited before.

Our travel dates were in late March, and it coincided with forecasted sakura season. As expected, airfares were high for that period. There were some cheap(er) fares with the Chinese airlines but these came with long/many stopovers in China and I didn’t fancy risking getting delayed in China.

While playing around with ITA Matrix, I could only find availability on full fare economy tickets for my dates. After a bit more digging, I discovered that flying JL’s premium economy on the SIN-HND-SIN leg would cost approx USD300 more. Thus, I decided to just YOLO and treat myself to a more comfortable flight.

My final itinerary ended up as:
JL 38 SIN-HND Y+
JL 259 HND-HIJ Y
JL 256 HIJ-HND Y
JL 37 HND-SIN Y+

23 March 2018
JL 38
0215hrs to 0945hrs
SIN-HND
B777-200ER
JA708J

Japan Airlines uses Terminal 1 at Changi Airport and there was no queue at the premium economy and business class counters. After checking in with the friendly agent and collecting my overseas WiFi unit, it was time to proceed through immigration. Japan Airlines offers lounge access to Y+ passengers on international flights, and it would be my first visit to the Dnata lounge.

Terminal 1 Dnata lounge

The lounge was quite crowded as it’s a shared lounge for the airlines handled by Dnata. The couches in the lounge were full so I found myself a seat at the dining area.

I got myself some yellow rice, fried fish, chicken satay and nuggets. The buffet area also had salads, Japanese udon and curry, breads and sandwiches on offer.

Alcohol selection. There was also a soft drink dispenser and coffee machine (which I didn’t try as it was a red eye flight and I wanted to get some sleep).

At about 130 am, I went to find my friends who were slumming it out at Coffee Bean cafe since they didn’t have lounge access before heading over to the gate.

JA708J at the gate

A while later, boarding was called for passengers needing special assistance, then business class and JAL Mileage Bank elite customers, then oneworld elites, then economy rows 50 onwards, and everyone else, in that order.

The Japanese are considerate people, and everyone followed the boarding order and waited for their turn to board, instead of just joining the queue and slowing down the boarding process.

My seat and mood lighting of the cabin shortly after take off. As it was quite late, no dinner/snack was served. The flight attendants handed out a bottle of water and the lights were soon dimmed.

Sunrise and the wing somewhere over the Philippine sea.

About 2 hours before landing, breakfast was served. Service started with a hot towel. Unlike SQ, the flight attendants don’t come around to collect the used towels.

Menu

For Y+, food is the same as economy. However Y+ gets champagne, Japanese Shochu and sparkling mineral water.

There was only one choice for the breakfast main. Salmon flakes, minced pork and egg over rice. Served with fruits, pickled seaweed, and unsweetened yoghurt. Miso soup (in a cup) is available on request, although I noticed the flight attendants proactively offered it to Japanese passengers (I suppose they are used to having it during breakfast).

An amenity kit containing a eye mask, face mask, earplugs and toothbrush was provided on the seat. Apparently, economy class doesn’t get one.

Toilets were clean, and toothbrushes were provided, presumably for economy passengers. Y+ and Y passengers used the same toilets.

Personalised message on the mirror.

Legroom. Also, slippers (with a shoehorn included) were provided.

Noise cancelling headphones by Panasonic.

Approaching HND airport.

Parking next to an ANA 787.

There was only about 1.5 hours before the next flight, so we made our way to the free shuttle bus to the domestic terminal. If you show your ticket and passport to the train/monorail counter, you can use those options to get to the domestic terminal too.

23 March 2018
JL 259
1110hrs to 1235hrs
HND-HIJ
B737-800
JA347J
16A

Waiting at the gate area for the flight.

JA347J waiting at the gate.

My seat with sufficient legroom for this short domestic flight. The seats in front (Row 15) have even better legroom because it’s the first row of economy.

JAL 767-300 parked next to us.

Next in line for takeoff after the JAL B777-300.

View over Tokyo shortly after takeoff.

Headphones were provided during boarding for listening to the onboard radio stations. Inflight wifi was available (for free!) or you could choose to stream some television shows to your device (however, the available options were all in Japanese).

Soft drinks/juices was provided for this short flight.

After landing at Hiroshima airport.

Taking the train to Tadanoumi Station for the ferry to rabbit island. The island used to be a secret poison gas factory during the war.

Rabbits roaming everywhere. You can buy pallets to feed them.

The next day, we took a ferry to Miyajima island to see the floating Tori gate.

Deer roam freely around the island.

We arrived too early and it was still low tide.

Walking to the cable car station.

Misty view from the cable car up to Mount Misen.

One of the shrines dotting Mt Misen. The flame below is kept burning constantly and is the same fire used to light the peace flame at Hiroshima Peace Park. The room is quite smoky.

See no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil.

When we got down from Mt Misen, it was high tide. I think it looks redder in the promotional photos.

Visiting Hiroshima Castle. This is the reconstructed castle as the original one was destroyed by the atomic bomb.

Sunset.

This willow tree is one of the 2 that survived the atomic bomb. Notice the scar in the middle.

The eucalyptus tree which survived the atomic bomb.

Looking at the atomic bomb dome and peace park.

Okonomiyaki savoury pancake for dinner. There are many versions in Japan and the Hiroshima one has soba or udon in it.

The Kintai bridge. One of the 3 great bridges of Japan.

The cherry blossoms are just beginning to bloom.

Cable car up to Iwakuni castle. It’s old but well maintained.

Iwakuni castle. This is a rebuilt version, the original was demolished about 300 years ago as there was a rule that there could only be one castle per prefecture.

Staying in a Japanese ryokan at Yudaonsen.

Old school cool...

Having a Japanese Kaiseki dinner.

Pufferfish sashimi.

Having a traditional Japanese breakfast.

After checkin out of the ryokan, I split up with my friends to make my way back to Hiroshima.

Footbath at the train station.

Shinkansen racing past.

Inside the shinkansen. Feels a little like flying.

Fukuromachi elementary school. It was one of the few buildings not made out of wood and was still standing after the fires from the atomic bomb finished burning. It was the centre of relief operations and the survivors left messages on its walls asking for news on their loved ones.

The friendly curator recommended visiting the Former Hiroshima Branch of the Bank of Japan, which was another building that survived the atomic bomb because it was built of concrete. It’s been preserved and the city rents it out for free for exhibitions. Currently there’s an exhibition on drawings by the survivors of the atomic bomb on their memories of the aftermath of the bomb, and also collections of photos of Hiroshima before and after the bomb.

The cherry blossoms are beginning to bloom.

Having okonomiyaki at Nagata-ya.

The next day, it was time to leave Hiroshima for Tokyo.

27 March 2018
JL 256
1155hrs to 1315hrs
HIJ-HND
B737-800
JA337J

JAL check-in counters.

ANA 767 bound for Okinawa.

JA337J waiting at the gate.

Legroom shot.

The seats are labelled so you won’t end up on the wrong one.

View of the small HIJ airport as we turn onto the runway.

Similar to the previous flight, soft drinks/juices were served. I chose the JAL Skytime Kiwi Juice, which is an exclusive JAL branded drink.

Similar to the previous flight, inflight wifi was available and Japanese shows were available to stream.

After landing at HND and check into the hotel, I went to find some Ichiran Ramen. A lot of people rave about it to me and I think it’s good, but not the best ramen I’ve ever eaten.

It was in the midst of sakura season and there were masses of pink and white flowers everywhere.

The Japanese were out at Ueno park to take in the cherry blossoms. Families, couples and office workers had mats laid out with food and were picnicking away.

You know you’re in Japan when you see a pikachu feature at Takashimaya.

Sensoji temple at night. I much prefer it at night when it’s more peaceful.

Don Quijote. 4 floors of pure shopping heaven, they have everything for sale there.

Layout of level. The purple coloured area with the heart shape is for adult goods.

The next morning, I went to Tsujiki market for some fish breakfast.

Scenes from the market.

Tokyo station and office buildings.

I was searching around for good ramen and saw this place was recommended.

Konjiki Hototogisu. It seats 8 people at a bar and there are only 2 people doing everything. You place your order in a vending machine and give them your ticket. Then you sit down and pour yourself a glass of water and wait for your food to be served. Once you’re done, you return them your used bowl and wipe down the table for the next person.

Much better than Ichiran ramen...

Shibuya crossing.

Searching for another highly rated ramen place. This place is famous for ramen with a tinge of yuzu.

Similarly, you place your order at the vending machine, then take a seat at the counter and give your order to the cooks and then pour a glass of water for yourself. This was my favourite bowl, the meat is nicely charred, noodles al dente and the yuzu just brings out the flavors and gives it a refreshing twist

Trying one of the famous cronuts. I was finding my way back to the hotel when I saw this bakery appear on google maps.

The next day, I planned to leave early to HND airport as I wanted to do some last minute shopping for souvenirs, and also explore the sakura lounge.
Old Apr 1, 2018, 8:06 am
Original Poster

29 March 2018
JL 37
1130hrs to 1735hrs
HND-SIN
B777-200ER
JA710J

View of HND international airport terminal.

HND’s observation deck. Open air view over the runway. Much better than Changi Airport’s glass enclosed viewing gallery with those window shades that block your view during the day and show you your reflection during the night.

There’s even an interactive display telling you which livery belongs to which airline from which country.

After exploring the airport and finishing my shopping, it was time to head to the lounge. JAL has 2 sakura lounges at HND and the check-in agent recommended the Sakura Lounge Skyview.

Lounge entrance.

Seating areas. I like the clean Japanese design.

A row of seats overlooking the apron. Great view.

Then it was time to sample the buffet.

Tomato soup. Kimchi soup was available too.

Japanese breakfast with some western options too.

Beer machine!

Enjoying the view with some beer and pastries.

Soon it was time to proceed to the gate.

Boarding started soon in the same order as the inbound flight. Again, everyone followed the order instead of clogging up the queue.

My seat with the amenity kit, noise cancellation headphones, slippers, pillow and blanket.

View across during boarding.

Touchscreen interface. Decent selection of movies and shows.

Seat control panel.

Turning to the runway.

Service started with a hot towel service.

Then some rice crackers and drink. I got the JAL kiwi juice again

Lunch was soon served. JAL is currently allowing some promising chefs to create the menus for economy class.

As the meal was served, cards were given out describing the chefs and the dishes they created.

My main of prawn curry. It was tasty and it’s nice to see an airline put some thought into economy class meals. The curry went well with bread.

Dessert was the pannacotta as part of the special menu, and Haagen-Daz ice cream.

Toilets were kept clean during the flight and toothbrushes were provided. Although there was no special message on the mirror this time.

Trying out the moisture mask in the amenity kit.

About 2 hours before landing, a chocolate brioche was served along with coffee/tea/juice.

Approaching SIN over the harbour. We had to circle over Bintan for a while.

Taxiing pass QF 2 from LHR.

Parking next to G-XLEC which just landed from LHR as BA11.

Waiting for my bags.I didn’t have to wait long as Y+ on JAL gets priority baggage handling with business class. JMB elites and First class/OWE bags were out first, followed by the business class and OWS bags.

Japanese souvenirs.

Conclusion:
It was a fun trip and a nice experience flying with JAL. The flight attendants were friendly, toilets were kept clean, and the fellow passengers were considerate. There's no rush to board to grab overhead cabin space, unlike in Europe or South East Asia where people carry-on their whole house and the kitchen sink.

I guess if I were to nitpick, its that some of the Japanese flight attendants weren’t very proficient in English although they still tried their best.
Old Apr 1, 2018, 9:44 am

Thanks for the report and the pictures.

I tried to work HIJ into an upcoming trip, but the connections just would not work.

Perhaps next time.

cheers

kl
Old Apr 1, 2018, 3:36 pm

Thanks for sharing your trip and photos. The food looked great! Thanks again.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 4:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
I guess a moisture mask at an amenity kit is only available at JAL.
nequine and 07L 25R like this.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 8:12 am

Programs: UA 1K; AA Gold; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Gold
Very nice, and thank you for the ideasto do around Hiroshima, as that will be on the next trip to Japan!

And the nighttime photos look terrific!
Old Apr 4, 2018, 8:53 am

Very nice trip report!

The Itsukushima Shrine is far less impressive in the low tide and I agree that it seems more colorful in the promotional pictures. I'm guessing it is painted every so often, or they photoshop the hell out of their pics.
Old Apr 7, 2018, 4:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by halfcape
Thanks for sharing your trip and photos. The food looked great! Thanks again.
Thank you for reading. I'm missing the ramen already...

Originally Posted by kalderlake
Thanks for the report and the pictures.

I tried to work HIJ into an upcoming trip, but the connections just would not work.

Perhaps next time.

cheers

kl
Oh well, there's still lots of things to see throughout Japan. I'm actually deciding if I should visit Japan again, MH is offering some attractive business class fares during summer...
07L 25R likes this.
Old Apr 7, 2018, 5:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by offerendum
I guess a moisture mask at an amenity kit is only available at JAL.
Yup, it's a very North Asian thing. There were a few people wearing the mask on the way to Tokyo, but strangely on the way back, I didn't see anyone else wearing it.

Originally Posted by deuce1
Very nice, and thank you for the ideasto do around Hiroshima, as that will be on the next trip to Japan!

And the nighttime photos look terrific!
Thanks for reading. I took this with my Sony phone camera and had to discard a lot of other photos as they were too blurry. These were the few usable ones...

Originally Posted by farbster
Very nice trip report!

The Itsukushima Shrine is far less impressive in the low tide and I agree that it seems more colorful in the promotional pictures. I'm guessing it is painted every so often, or they photoshop the hell out of their pics.
Haha, I'm leaning towards the photoshop idea....
Old Apr 8, 2018, 3:21 am

Thank you for the great TR to Japan, wjin.

Love the decor at the ryokan, and the classy phone!

Surprised to see Tsujiki still open, the relocation seems to be taking forever.

The JAL Y meal looks amazing, can't go wrong with ice cream either.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 11:37 am

Nice read, thanks for sharing. I quite enjoy Tokyo, always have to have at least 3-4 bowls of ramen whenever I’m there. I always get disappointed with udon dishes though.

Great pictures reflecting the history of Hiroshima too. Think I will go there with my family one day now. Far better to experience the reality of the past than to go USJ in Osaka.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 6:09 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DanielW
Surprised to see Tsujiki still open, the relocation seems to be taking forever.
Thanks for reading. Yup, I vaguely remember hearing somewhere that it'll close in October last year? But maybe I remembered wrongly...

Originally Posted by Mlee888
Nice read, thanks for sharing. I quite enjoy Tokyo, always have to have at least 3-4 bowls of ramen whenever I’m there. I always get disappointed with udon dishes though.

Great pictures reflecting the history of Hiroshima too. Think I will go there with my family one day now. Far better to experience the reality of the past than to go USJ in Osaka.
Thank you for reading. Personally, I prefer soba over udon. But ramen's still the best
Old Apr 22, 2018, 9:37 am

Programs: Tesco Clubcard, Heathrow Rewards, M&S Sparks, Caffè Nero, HSBC rewards... BAEC defector
If only Japan wasn't so expensive!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.