Wiki Posts
Search

Great experience onboard Alitalia Magnifica - FCO-EZE

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2018, 1:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Flying Blue Gold
Great experience onboard Alitalia Magnifica - FCO-EZE

I was supposed to fly FCO-CDG-EZE on Air France Business on March 30th, but around midnight two days before departure I got a notification on my phone, through the AF app, stating that my CDG-EZE flight was cancelled because of the strike. This was inconvenient on a personal note, because I had allowed for a 12-hour connection in Paris so as to have lunch in the city with some friends. Besides, FCO-CDG would have been my first Joon flight, and I was curious about trying them. Oh well.

Anyhow, it was late in the night —or too early in the morning—, so the Flying Blue hotline in Italy was closed, as it only operates during normal office hours. I contacted Air France through Facebook and Twitter and got no response after half an hour or so. And then I thought I have always had good experiences with KLM’s social media team, so I sent them a Whatsapp message. Jackpot! I got an answer five minutes later. I told the wonderful KLM person that I would accept changing my flight to a nonstop FCO-EZE, either on Alitalia —preferably— or on Aerolíneas Argentinas. Some 10 minutes later he/she booked me on AZ 680 on the same day than my AF flight. He/she even selected a window seat after I asked. KLM social media team is always fantastic.

I then sent a few e-mails to my Parisians friends cancelling lunch, and went back to bed feeling relieved this issue was sorted out.

Fast forward two days and I got to Fiumicino at 6:30pm, i.e. with lots of time to check-in because, I thought, these re-booking things are never so easy. I walked to the Magnifica counters and after a small wait I was greeted by a nice Alitalia agent. She did find my PNR but couldn’t see the ticket, so asked me to go to the AF ticketing desk, which I obliged. There was a free agent at the Sky Priority counter, and the AF lady did lots of typing for over 10 minutes until the printer spat out my ticket. “It’s been a hell of day, I suppose?” I asked. “A nightmare”, she answered with a smile.

Back to the Magnifica check-in, where the agent was now able to print my boarding pass and tag my bag. I asked for an open check-in because I had to go through customs in order to get my tax-free stamp, so then walked with the suitcase to the customs stand, from where they took care of checking-in the bag, which is a good thing.

Security through the Sky Priority lane, and immigration with the e-passport gates, took no time. I really like Fiumicino for this.

Quick stop at the duty free shop for a bottle of grappa, and it turned out tonight’s flight would not leave from the satellite but from the main terminal, so the lounge was the older Casa Alitalia off gate E11. The place was absolutely packed with Korean Air passengers, who left some half an hour later. I sat with a newspaper and a glass of Aperol Spritz, prepared by the nice barman, until boarding was called. The only problem with the lounge, apart from the sheer amount of people, was the wi-fi, which took a long while to connect.

When I got to gate E24, boarding was well underway, but the agent made me skip the line when I showed him the “SkyP” on my boarding pass. Exchanged a few smiles and “buona sera” with the flight attendants, one of which came to take my coat, and then settled in seat 2J. The seat is very comfortable, with lots of space for stretching. On the armrest were the three quintessential Alitalia menus — food, wines and coffee.

I counted four free seats out of 24 in total, which I think is a good sign considering Alitalia’s load factors. I wonder if I was the only passenger rebooked from Air France.

Before taxiing the crew came with pre-departure drinks.

And then with newspapers (Italian and the International New York Times), and with the Bulgari ammenity kits.

I hardly ever use the in-flight entertainment on any plane, preferring instead to read and sleep. However, the IFE on this particular plane seemed quite dated, especially when comparing with the newer AZ planes. Tonight we were flying on 777-200 EI-ISB “Porto Rotondo” — funny, I flew it before when it still carried an Italian registration. Did they switch it to Ireland for, I assume, tax reasons?

After take-off, the flight attendant in charge of our section came seat by seat to ask about dinner. AZ is going thematic on its food services in Magnifica, and tonight we were being offered a menu based on regional food from Calabria.

This, as discussed on the AZ forum, is good news for lovers of Italian food —like myself—, but could go spectacularly wrong when catering is loaded at outstations. I consider myself knowledgeable on Italian food and have never cooked Ziti, I can’t imagine how the cook at an EZE catering company could know whether it is well done or not.

Tonight, however, the food was fantastic, probably among the best dinners I ever had on airplanes. The wine was a Primitivo di Manduria — a great suggestion from the flight attendant. “It is robust, strong. You’ll enjoy it and sleep very well afterwards”, he said.

Started with the broccoli flan:

Primo: Ziti pasta. This was the highlight of the service. Marvelous!

Secondo: sea bass filet.

Formaggio: the butirro —apparently, a typical Calabrese cheese— was particularly enjoyable.

Dolce: Tartufo. It was also fantastic, but I gave it just a few bites for the sake of my waistline.

I had a few interesting reads during dinner:

“Air France throws a lifejacket at Alitalia: more routes to the USA”

After dinner I had a small glass of amaro and then put the seat on the full-flat mode. I found it particularly comfortable, and slept pretty much for the remainder of the flight. I was only woken up twice — once during a small turbulence area over the Atlantic, and then because I was thirsty, so I walked to the galley to help myself with some water. I have to say, my only criticism of this flight was the temperature. It was too hot. Not unbearably hot, but I had to remove my sweater, which is something I hardly ever do on airplanes.

I finally woke up for good around 1 hour out of Buenos Aires, when flying over southern Brazil. The flight attendant appeared in no time next to my seat and asked whether I wanted breakfast. He offered to prepare some eggs, but I declined, going instead for the fruit salad and a croissant, and two double espressos.

The Italians have a cult for coffee, and I appreciate the fact that Alitalia serves it on nice cups rather than on bigger mugs.

I spent the rest of my time checking the Ulisse in-flight magazine. I think Ulisse is an appropriate name for an in-flight magazine. Not like Varig, which in the 1990s had a magazine called “Icaro” — Icarus seems not to be the right name for anything related to flying.

Everything was set for an early arrival into Buenos Aires, but we had to hold over the city for some 15 minutes, so landing was at the end right on time. For the first ever at Ezeiza, we had two jetways connected to the airplane, so Magnifica pax deplaned through door 1L. A positive surprise.

Seat, as seen after 14 hours being used:

Immigration at EZE was chaotic as usual, but the delay allowed for the bags to be on the belt when I got there. Customs took no time, and since a driver was waiting for me, I was on the way home around 1 hour after landing, which is quite good for Ezeiza standards.

So, this is the end of my most recent AZ experience. It's a brave new world when you are saved from an Air France strike by, out of all airlines, Alitalia. I had a great flight, and I hope you enjoyed your reading. Alitalia is the Phoenix of airlines, and everything looks set for it to once again survive its current crisis. I hope it is the case - they offer a very solid product, and, for us in South America, FCO is a very convenient European hub.

Ci vediamo presto!

Last edited by Marambio; Mar 31, 2018 at 1:19 pm
Old Mar 31, 2018, 2:37 pm

Hi Marambio,

I'm initially glad to hear that you got back to Buenos Aires without any further delay or disruption further to the Air France strike, always good to be on the direct flight in any case.

Thanks for the quality report and the food looks good indeed. I didn't get chance to try any of the pasta choices from the Calabria's menu during my last couple of trips to Santiago in March but I hope to do so next week (funny as I promise myself not to [over]eat during the long layover in Rome but always end up snacking a bit-too much of everything which, together with the [far too many] Ferrari's top-up trips to the bar, gets me on sleep-mode as soon as I put my feet up on the triple-seven!).

Again, thanks and enjoy your Easter break

G

Last edited by AlicorporateUK; Mar 31, 2018 at 2:46 pm Reason: various editing.
Old Mar 31, 2018, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Good pasta is unfortunately not the norm at an aircraft- glad you enjoyed one of the excemptions.
Old Mar 31, 2018, 7:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Thanks for this nice trip report. ^ Alitalia's meal service looked and sounded great!

I consider myself knowledgeable on Italian food and have never cooked Ziti, I can’t imagine how the cook at an EZE catering company could know whether it is well done or not.
From my experience in Argentina and particularly BA, the food is consistently excellent! Additionally, I believe there is a significant population of Italian ex-pats living in BA. I should imagine catering out of BA would be pretty good regardless of the style the food is cooked in. My premium class flights out of BA with LAN, United and Lufthansa have all been very nicely catered.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 8:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AlicorporateUK
Hi Marambio,

I'm initially glad to hear that you got back to Buenos Aires without any further delay or disruption further to the Air France strike, always good to be on the direct flight in any case.

Thanks for the quality report and the food looks good indeed. I didn't get chance to try any of the pasta choices from the Calabria's menu during my last couple of trips to Santiago in March but I hope to do so next week (funny as I promise myself not to [over]eat during the long layover in Rome but always end up snacking a bit-too much of everything which, together with the [far too many] Ferrari's top-up trips to the bar, gets me on sleep-mode as soon as I put my feet up on the triple-seven!).

Again, thanks and enjoy your Easter break

G
Hi G!

Thanks for your comments. Avoiding snacking at the Casa Alitalia lounge in Rome is indeed an endurance test, much like not finishing the dessert of tartufo and vanilla sauce

I am apparently due to fly to Tel-Aviv in June and Alitalia is my favourite option from Buenos Aires to the Eastern Mediterranean (flight time is considerably shorter than via CDG, MAD, etc., and Fiumicino is, I insist, my favourite European airport for connections these days), so hopefully I'll have another trip report by then. In the meantime, it's just a few domestic hops in AR, and lots of cooking at home with all the Italian ingredients I smuggled past customs on my suitcase -- ironically, in Argentina, "the world's barn", it is impossible to find 00 flour, the base for good pasta, so I was actually forced to bring in a few kilos with me.

Enjoy Chile!

Originally Posted by offerendum
Good pasta is unfortunately not the norm at an aircraft- glad you enjoyed one of the excemptions.
Indeed. I was particularly surprised by the good taste of the pasta, considering that it is obviously pre-cooked as no aircraft has a place to boil water -- unless the Italians put a stove on the galley, which would be reasonable considering how the Italians are with their food.

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
Thanks for this nice trip report. ^ Alitalia's meal service looked and sounded great!

From my experience in Argentina and particularly BA, the food is consistently excellent! Additionally, I believe there is a significant population of Italian ex-pats living in BA. I should imagine catering out of BA would be pretty good regardless of the style the food is cooked in. My premium class flights out of BA with LAN, United and Lufthansa have all been very nicely catered.
Hi Seat 2A. Thanks for your comments.

I am glad you had good catering out of EZE. I agree that the British Airways caterers in Buenos Aires are pretty good, but in the particular case of Alitalia, I have had terrible food when flying ex-EZE. I don't know the reason for this, but that's why I am a bit skeptical towards regional Italian dishes prepared down here.

Again, tante grazie everyone for your kind comments!
Old Apr 2, 2018, 8:53 am

Programs: Status? What's status?
Originally Posted by Marambio
I spent the rest of my time checking the Ulisse in-flight magazine. I think Ulisse is an appropriate name for an in-flight magazine. Not like Varig, which in the 1990s had a magazine called “Icaro” — Icarus seems not to be the right name for anything related to flying.
Oh Varig. My only memory of Varig was when my family and I had flown on Varig to Brazil for Christmas and New Year. Two days before we were supposed to fly back to the US, Varig went bankrupt and cancelled all international flights. It was an interesting few days, but we did eventually make it home thanks to AA.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 10:27 am

What worries me is that Alitalia may disappear. I understand they are again bankrupt.
Old Apr 3, 2018, 6:36 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Wow... Yet another nice report about AZ long haul C. Looks really nice...
Old Apr 4, 2018, 7:36 am

Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL G (SC), Bonvoy LTP, & IHG AMB
Thanks, Marambio, for the detailed report. Don't see much here on AZ longhaul. Honestly, from your report it looks like a very nice J experience. When I lived in southern Italy for about two and half years, I always avoided AZ based on some pretty pathetic experiences with their short and medium haul ops and instead went with LH who had convenient connections through MUC. Maybe AZ J is worth considering. Thanks again!
Old Apr 4, 2018, 9:22 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Miles and Smiles, Hhonors, ICHotels
Originally Posted by Bretteee
What worries me is that Alitalia may disappear. I understand they are again bankrupt.
And yet, they are advertising a new route to Johannesburg with some very attractive fares. Like SAA, I will not rush and buy a ticket on them any time soon.

Last edited by roadwarrier; Apr 4, 2018 at 9:22 am Reason: spelling
Old Apr 8, 2018, 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by roadwarrier
And yet, they are advertising a new route to Johannesburg with some very attractive fares. Like SAA, I will not rush and buy a ticket on them any time soon.
Yes I hope SAA does not go bankrupt. I flew with them nonstop from / to New York and may again this year or next. It would be really bad I think if they did.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 7:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lmsalman
Oh Varig. My only memory of Varig was when my family and I had flown on Varig to Brazil for Christmas and New Year. Two days before we were supposed to fly back to the US, Varig went bankrupt and cancelled all international flights. It was an interesting few days, but we did eventually make it home thanks to AA.
I was *A Gold with Varig many years ago, and I actually miss them - they were consistently better than your average Latin American airline (*cough* LATAM *cough*)

Originally Posted by TPJ
Wow... Yet another nice report about AZ long haul C. Looks really nice...
Thanks!

Originally Posted by CHOPCHOP767
Thanks, Marambio, for the detailed report. Don't see much here on AZ longhaul. Honestly, from your report it looks like a very nice J experience. When I lived in southern Italy for about two and half years, I always avoided AZ based on some pretty pathetic experiences with their short and medium haul ops and instead went with LH who had convenient connections through MUC. Maybe AZ J is worth considering. Thanks again!
In this case I didn't pay for the ticket because I was rebooked from AF, but Alitalia consistently has the best J prices between South America and Europe, and FCO is a pretty convenient hub. Maybe you could give them a try.

Originally Posted by roadwarrier
Yes I hope SAA does not go bankrupt. I flew with them nonstop from / to New York and may again this year or next. It would be really bad I think if they did.
Actually, you made me remember the crew made an announcement about the new flight to Johannesburg. Apparently, the eternal state of bankruptcy seems to fit Alitalia quite well
AlicorporateUK likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.