Old Mar 11, 2018, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
DanielW and safety concerns - like fire and water😂
River in Sight and SFO777 like this.
Old Mar 11, 2018, 2:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
I've been to Ethiopia countless times over the past 7 years, and found your report very excellent. I even learned quite a bit!

Glad you went to the original Tomoca location. There are a few newer ones around town, but they are not the same. The macchiato there is one of the best coffee drinks in the world, IMO!

Also, you are a brave man for having the raw meat, wow!

Thanks for sharing this. You did a great job of showcasing the beautiful people and places of this wonderful country!
Old Mar 11, 2018, 2:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K

Did you have any safety concerns? There have been recent travel warnings by the UK, Canada, and the US.l
You'll be fine. I've been in Ethiopia the past few years during these US travel warnings, and even during the Ethiopian government state of emergencies.

It's an extremely safe and friendly country. Especially outside of Addis. Enjoy!
SanDiego1K likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2018, 3:43 pm

Programs: UA GS, 1MM; Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
What an amazing trip report! So many extraordinary destinations, from lava pits to stone carved churches. I used to think I knew a lot of stuff, but I am constantly learning new things from the great trip reports here. Thanks so much.
T
Old Mar 11, 2018, 10:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MA330
Great report, Daniel. Glad you got your drone back...
Thanks, MA330. Yes, it was great to get the drone back for another trip.
Originally Posted by offerendum
What a journey!
Yes, was only 6 days but felt like alot more.
Originally Posted by zip10001
Thumps-up!
I always enjoy your reports as the narrative and the pictures take the reader in the heart of the action.
When is the book coming out?
​​​​​​​Thanks, zip10001. Not sure about the book, maybe a Youtube video first?
Originally Posted by 757
Amazing report as always, Daniel. It looks like you had an incredible trip. My wife and I love Ethopian food - all the photos of Injera are making me hungry!
Thank you for sharing.
​​​​​​​Cheers, 757. I have eaten injera in Djibouti and Eritrea so was great to finally eat it in Ethiopia too.
Originally Posted by Madone59
Wow, another amazing Trip Report with stunning photos! Thank you for sharing, and for the geology tour
​​​​​​​Many thanks, Madone59. Yes, I think I am a little more knowledgeable on plate tectonics after writing this TR.
Originally Posted by lb8001
Daniel, this one is high on the list of your TRs. Typically amazing photos and so much cool information about the places you visited. And the DanielW selfie smile is the best!
​​​​​​​Thank you, lb8001. Just back from Bhutan so more smiling selfies coming soon.
Originally Posted by EKplat
Ethiopia is the most amazing country with a culture quite different to that in the rest of Africa. I have visited it 26 times over the last 15 years and I am always delighted by the charm and civility of the people and the unexpected sophistication of Addis Ababa. The place is in my blood!
​​​​​​​Cheers, EKplat. Yes, quite a different place from the rest of Africa, from the distinct features of the locals to the relative stability and organisation. Will definitely have to head back some time.
Originally Posted by SFO777
What an amazing trip with spectacular pics. Thanks for posting DanielW.
​​​​​​​Thanks, SFO777. My next TR will be a little interesting too, flying 'first' class to Baghdad.
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
We head to Ethiopia next month so I was very excited to see your report. We'll be traveling the traditional northern tourist circuit, so will only overlap in Lalibela and Addis. Your pictures of Lalibela gave me a far better understanding of the church complex than any I had found to date. Are you on Instagram? If so, what is your handle? I've been following #lalibela so probably see a dozen pictures of the area each day. Yours gave me a far better understanding of all the churches there.
Your picture of the ceiling of the hotel restaurant was great! How colorful.
Did you have any safety concerns? There have been recent travel warnings by the UK, Canada, and the US.
Ethiopia: Feb 2018 travel advisories from UK, Canada, USA. Unsafe for tourism?
​​​​​​​Thank you, SanDiego1K. Unfortunately I'm not on Instagram yet. As econometrics said below, you should be fine in Ethiopia. I normally check with the UK travel advice, and apart from some border areas, the country is mostly green (i.e. relatively safe): https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/ethiopia
Originally Posted by offerendum
DanielW and safety concerns - like fire and water
​​​​​​​Yes, although my next TR will be a little less safe.
Originally Posted by econometrics
I've been to Ethiopia countless times over the past 7 years, and found your report very excellent. I even learned quite a bit!
Glad you went to the original Tomoca location. There are a few newer ones around town, but they are not the same. The macchiato there is one of the best coffee drinks in the world, IMO!
Also, you are a brave man for having the raw meat, wow!
Thanks for sharing this. You did a great job of showcasing the beautiful people and places of this wonderful country!
Many thanks, econometrics. Yes, the macchiato at Tomoca really hit the spot, such a great place to enjoy a coffee with the locals too. Such a beautiful country, will definitely have to head back.
Originally Posted by fivevsone
What an amazing trip report! So many extraordinary destinations, from lava pits to stone carved churches. I used to think I knew a lot of stuff, but I am constantly learning new things from the great trip reports here. Thanks so much.
T
​​​​​​​Many thanks, fivevsone. yes, got to see and do alot in six days, and experience some amazing things.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 3:13 am

Programs: BA Bronze, Emirates Silver, Virgin Silver, Marriott Titanium
Thanks for another great trip report Daniel!

Some fantastic photos as always, especially the church stuff at the start. Bummer about the drone being taken away though but the ones you got from it were fantastic.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 3:19 am

Really, really interesting! Thank you very much for all the details - and I love how you include links to more information on Wikipedia. Makes the trip report a really valuable piece of information.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 4:50 am

Programs: BA - Gold, Doner kebab gold member
Great trip report, loved it
Old Mar 12, 2018, 8:53 am

Programs: DL Diamond, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold
Awesome trip report and pictures once again. I have Ethiopia planned for 2019, maybe I'll use the same tour operator you did, looks like it all went well minus the drone confiscation. They also seem to offer a train ticket to Djibouti, maybe I can fit in a 1-2 day trip to Djibouti before leaving East Africa.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 9:41 am

Thanks for a look at Ethiopia.

Particulalry Dalol, which I'd never heard of.

cheers

kl
Old Mar 12, 2018, 10:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nequine
Thanks for another great trip report Daniel!
Some fantastic photos as always, especially the church stuff at the start. Bummer about the drone being taken away though but the ones you got from it were fantastic.
Thanks, nequine. Yes, a bit of a downer with the drone, I figured I would have probably crashed in the lava lake or something though.
Originally Posted by flybranchen
Really, really interesting! Thank you very much for all the details - and I love how you include links to more information on Wikipedia. Makes the trip report a really valuable piece of information.
Thanks you, flybranchen. Yes, Wikipedia is incredibly helpful, makes you wonder how we used to get by without it!
Originally Posted by IlikeBowling
Great trip report, loved it
Cheers, IlikeBowling.
Originally Posted by ChiefNWA
Awesome trip report and pictures once again. I have Ethiopia planned for 2019, maybe I'll use the same tour operator you did, looks like it all went well minus the drone confiscation. They also seem to offer a train ticket to Djibouti, maybe I can fit in a 1-2 day trip to Djibouti before leaving East Africa.
Many thanks, ChiefNWA. ETT is the main tour company for the Danakil. There are others too, but the trips they run are not so frequent since they are alot smaller. Yes, the train to Djibouti looks like quite an adventure, apparently there is frequent unplanned stops due to power cuts.
Originally Posted by kalderlake
Thanks for a look at Ethiopia.
Particulalry Dalol, which I'd never heard of.
cheers
kl
​​​​​​​Cheers, kalderlake, Yes, I hadn't heard of Dallol before the trip too, but was really blown away by the surreal beauty though.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 4:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Wonderful trip report. I love different cultures.

I love the pic of the man in the local corner store. He was so happy.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 6:13 pm

Programs: BA Gold, *A Gold
What a great trip! I visited Lalibela and Axum as a child (over fifty years ago) and I still remember them very well. I have been to Addis and Lake Tana as well, the last time less than 18 years ago. Once again, great photos and thank you for showing me familiar places through your eyes. It is very interesting.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 7:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Great TR - thanks so much!! The churches tour and the green land hikes were amazing. How was the raw meat in cubes? Im only accustomed to it in thin slices and ground tartare! Also the meat was both red and white - which animals?
and yes, very glad that the drone was returned without major hassle.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 3:42 pm

Programs: AC 75K
Once again another excellent TR to a (somewhat) off-the-beaten-path destination! Always enjoy reading your TRs as they are quite the contrast to the usual F and J reports on the major airlines. I second gaobest's question above, how was the raw meat??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.