Wiki Posts
Search

Live Trip report LHR-DOH-CMB-CGK-CMB-DOH-CMB-CGK-CMB-DPH-LHR

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2018, 4:55 pm

Old Feb 10, 2018, 10:28 am

Programs: BA GGL for a little while longer
Originally Posted by wonderman
Made it with ease, but cheated slightly.
The FA spoke to ground crew and handed me over to someone as soon as the door opened. I explained I needed to get back on the plane, gave him my printed boarding pass and he opened the door to the departures gate and let me straight in while he went to check my ticket. Came back confirming it was all OK and then later turned up with boarding passes presumably printed from the check in desk.

That's not cheating, that's being creative
Old Feb 10, 2018, 11:06 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
This is like the Everest of TP running. Second time counts for all...
memesweeper likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2018, 11:44 am

Programs: VS Gold and a few more.....
Well done for making the first CGK B2B work - I'm assuming you will try the same on the 2nd attempt. I wonder what the ground crew will make of it second time around if it's the same team?

Hope me it all works out well.
Old Feb 10, 2018, 1:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by StormDog
Well done for making the first CGK B2B work - I'm assuming you will try the same on the 2nd attempt. I wonder what the ground crew will make of it second time around if it's the same team?

Hope me it all works out well.
If I’ve learnt one thing it’s that the best policy is to explain exactly what you need and why you need it then stand their helpless laughing now that everyone knows what an idiot you are. I’ll never be sure if they’re laughing at me or with me once they realise what’s going on.
proper write up coming up but I’m on the plane in DOH now ready for round 2.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 9:03 am
Original Poster

Flight 5: Feb 9th 19:00 CMB - 21:35 DOH Sri Lankan A330 + 24 hour layover in Doha.

Took advantage of the wifi on this flight to book in my hotel in Doha as I'd left it to the last minute pending making the return journey in CGK.
Flight on time, feeling a bit fatigued with all the flying now, looking forward to a day off on the beach in Doha.
Pics of Sri Lanka on the layover...

Immigration was much quieter than on my initial arrival, immigration officer asked when I will leave but no futher comments from him other than that relating to multiple entries.
Nightime shot of Doha from the Taxi

Nice bath to relax after a 20 odd our set of flights.

View from the Hilton Doha

Took the opportunity to get a gym session in before heading to the beach to relax, later in the day i took a taxi over to the pearl before returning to the hotel for dinner, There was a Biryani festival near the sheraton which attracted the most people Ive seen in one place in Doha.

Half of the flying over now. Feeling recovered and ready to go again!

Last edited by wonderman; Feb 11, 2018 at 4:34 pm
Old Feb 11, 2018, 9:15 am
Original Poster

Flight 6 and 7: (photos will be updated once I'm within a decent wifi zone)
Feb 10th 22:50 DOH - 06:05 CMB Sri Lankan A330
Feb 11th 07:20 CMB - 13:35 CGK Sri Lankan A330

Well rested after a day on the beach and visit the the pearl in Doha. Nice change having 25 degrees and sunshine compared to the British winter.
Taxi over to DOH from the hilton, check in and through to the Al Mourjan lounge which is once again spookily empty.

I check in for the return flights from CGK and print paper boarding passes off again in the hope that the B2B will be the same set up this time.

I've eaten dinner in Doha already and decide to sample some desert at the lounge, the somehow managed to make these 3 deserts all taste of the same thing, sweet cardboard!

Unfortunatlely the F1 car did not work

Flight to CMB once agan delayed by 30 minutes, but otherwise goes smoothly. some photo's of the night departure from Doha.

Settle down to a cup of tea, this is how you serve tea on a plane!

Tried to capture the perspective off the sunrise from inside the plane on descent into CMB

Transit at CMB was very simple, again not a huge amount of spare time but that makes the journey pleasant.

Board the flight to CGK, pretty tired still so get down to sleep for this flight. Wake up about an hour prior to arrival and have a word to the FA to see if they can alert ground staff to my situation which they say they will help with.

Flight arrives bang on time at 13.35 this time into CGK, meaning if the turnaround isn't as simple I'll be pushing my luck!

Hang luggage ready, seat 1D again so I can be first off the plane. I'm certainly more optimistic than 48 hours ago!

Last edited by wonderman; Feb 11, 2018 at 4:40 pm
Old Feb 11, 2018, 4:52 pm
Original Poster

Flight 8 and 9:
Feb 11th 14:25 CGK - 17:30 CMB Sri Lankan A330
Feb 11th 19:00 CMB - 21:35 DOH Sri Lankan A330

I made it, same story at CGK, ground staff open the door straight to the departures gate for me and the desk at the boarding gate prints me off airport issue boarding passes for travel all the way through to Doha.

Great relief, I'd go as far as to say that it's one of the easier runs in terms of the TP's per amount of time spent goes. Found the TLL turnarounds far more annoying than this as I could only get 200TP's in a 24 hour period whereas DOH-CMB-CGK-CMB-DOH nets 560TP's in 24 hours.

Sleep through the entire first flight and I have to say the old style 2-2-2 seating is more comfortable to sleep in than the new style 1-2-1 as your legs aren't forced into a confined space so can turn and move easily.

Haven't been eating as I tucked into an all you can eat buffet at the hilton before departure so on the flight back from CMB to Doha I have a reasonably decent lamb dish and follow up with a celebratory cup of tea and Baileys!

Straightforward into DOH, taxi to doubletree for the night which is where I write this from. Quick gym session and shower and need to be up for my flight back to LHR tomorrow. Little bonus that my first flight LHR-DOH posted at 140 TP's!

All in all certainly not the most grueling of runs that I've done and should the return flight also post at 140TP's will net 1400TP's in total, can't be far off the most time efficient route to gold out there these days.
dawntreader380 likes this.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 7:48 pm

dawntreader380 likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 4:04 am

Programs: BA exec, HHonors Diamond
Good read with plenty of useful info ^

Originally Posted by wonderman
Straightforward into DOH, taxi to doubletree for the night
I'm in Doha on the 26th Feb for 3 nights then off SYD.. Can I ask how much the taxi is from DOH to the Doubletree?
Old Feb 14, 2018, 9:49 am

Programs: AA EXP, TK Elite, HH Gold, SPG/Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Telecasterman
Good read with plenty of useful info ^

I'm in Doha on the 26th Feb for 3 nights then off SYD.. Can I ask how much the taxi is from DOH to the Doubletree?
Get a Uber. Very inexpensive in Doha. (30 QAR)
Telecasterman likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 3:48 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by flyalways
Get a Uber. Very inexpensive in Doha. (30 QAR)
+1

And airport wifi up to the doorway at the exit avoids unnecessary data roaming charges.
Old Feb 17, 2018, 8:45 pm

You’re my HERO!! (and you do have an uncanny resemblance to Chester Bennington, another hero of mine).

I’m about to attempt the same route in a fortnight but from the other way round CGK-CMB-DOH-CMB-CGK and originally wanted to do it twice on the same back to back itinerary at CGK.

I suspect while you were given a smooth path for the CGK same flight turnaround because it was on the same PNR and ticket, I dared not risk it for mine because it will be another ticket and PNR that originated from CGK... or should I have done so?
Old Feb 18, 2018, 5:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by carrotjuice
You’re my HERO!! (and you do have an uncanny resemblance to Chester Bennington, another hero of mine).

I’m about to attempt the same route in a fortnight but from the other way round CGK-CMB-DOH-CMB-CGK and originally wanted to do it twice on the same back to back itinerary at CGK.

I suspect while you were given a smooth path for the CGK same flight turnaround because it was on the same PNR and ticket, I dared not risk it for mine because it will be another ticket and PNR that originated from CGK... or should I have done so?
I coudn't book on the same PNR as the min connection time in CGK is longer than 50 mins so I booked DOH-CMB-CGK as a return and CGK-CMB-DOH nested as a return. Things are relatively relaxed at CGK, it's not like heathrow - you explain what you need to do and they get you to the right place on the ground.

I wouldn't hesitate to do a B2B there again. Genuinely one of the most chilled out runs I've done, it's a very easy way to rack up 560TP's in 24 hours and end up somewhere that you can relax for a few days on the beach or by the pool in the sunhine before any onward travel.

Airport taxi to the doubletree was 48 QAR from memory, 62 to the hilton.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 9:15 pm

Hi wonderman - just to confirm that as you stayed airside at CMB, there is no need to Sri Lankan transit visa?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.