Changes in Altitudes: Last Trip of 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2018, 12:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards; AAdvantage; Alaska Mileage Plan; Wyndham Rewards; Choice Hotels

Tour of Duty 14th December 2017 to 19th December 2017

I got word of a trip from Bakersfield, California to Brighton, Colorado. I got the details locked in and the company booked me a rental car. I got transport to the local pick up location for the rental car. There was no one at the office when I arrived and another guy arrived to rent a car as well. When the person came she hurried to get me in the car in order to take care of the other guy who came before closing time.

I headed to Bakersfield late and still got caught in traffic in Los Angeles. It was after midnight before I checked into hotel and I spent the night in Bakersfield, CA.

Friday I headed to the shipper that was actually a ways from town even though it was considered to be Bakersfield due to the zip code. I checked in and then loaded my gear into the truck. I did the safety inspection and got signed off then I headed back into town and had midday rations then I stopped at a filling station. Afterward I went to where I was told to turn in the rental car and was told to go to another location closer to where the truck was. I made it to the location closer to where the truck was and I dropped off the car. Not so fast as damage was discovered. Due to the rush when I picked up the car the damage was not discovered or noted then. The person in the office had to write up a report after I gave my side of the story. That took some time then I was taken to where the truck was and I got underway.

Trip: Bakersfield, CA to Brighton, CO 1,050 miles
Make: 2018 Western Star
Model: Vacuum Truck
Transmission: Standard 18-speed
Route: California 43 to Lerdo Highway to California 99 to California 58 to Interstate 15 to Interstate 70 to Local Roads to Interstate 76
Maximum elevation: 11,158 feet at Eisenhower Tunnel Continental Divide Interstate 70 8 miles east of Silverthorne, CO and 12 miles west of Georgetown, CO
Highest diesel price USA: 3.079$ per gallon at Pilot St-George, UT
Lowest diesel price USA: 2.839$ per gallon at Flying J Richfield, UT and Aurora, CO; Pilot Green River, UT

I headed to the Flying J north of Bakersfield to get the truck scaled out as I was concerned about the overall gross weight due to a 54,000lb legal weight limit for straight trucks in Colorado. I found out the weight was in the good but only by about 1,300 pounds. I headed to Hodel's and had evening rations before leaving Bakersfield. I got on the 58 east and made a pit stop in Tehachapi before heading farther east. When I entered San Bernardino County a few miles west of Kramer Junction, the 58 became two-lane head on traffic. There was a blockage just west of Kramer Junction as a tractor-trailer made a left turn into the desert and appeared to be stuck. I had to wait for the Highway Patrol to signal me to proceed. After I got a ways east of Kramer Junction the 58 became twinned again and I was expecting it to go back to two-lane but I was pleasantly surprised to find out that the rest of the 58 from that point to Interstate 15 was upgraded. I got on the 15 and made it to Yermo, CA where I spent the night.

Saturday I continued north on the 15. I stopped for midday rations in Baker, CA and there was some wind there. I continued north and made another pit stop in Primm, NV around sunset. Traffic was messed up and I was delayed getting through Las Vegas due to at least two crashes and one additional incident that may have been a crash or breakdown. I stopped in Mesquite, NV for evening rations then continued through Arizona into Utah and I was surprised to see the Port of Entry closed when entering Utah. After I took on fuel I headed to hotel where I booked the night's stay. It was a bit of a challenge parking the truck but I got parked safely and legally and spent the night in St-George, UT.

Sunday morning I headed to Desert Ridge Baptist Church and attended the Sunday Morning service. The sermon was on Deuteronomy 18:15-22. After the service I had a brief visit with a friend of mine who lived in southern California but moved to St-George some years ago after he retired from his Teamsters job. Then I continued north on the 15 and the temperature dropped as I gained altitude. I did not have any precipitation but I saw some snow on the ground though the roads were clear and dry. I had midday rations in Beaver, UT before starting my run east on the 70. Interstate 70 has many up and downgrades both in Utah and Colorado west of Denver. I stopped in Richfield, UT to take on fuel then continued east in the darkness. If it was daylight it would have been very scenic. I made it to Green River, UT where I spent the night.

Monday I found out it got down to 16F in Green River, UT. The weather was fair and it got up into the low 40'sF in eastern Utah and western Colorado. I headed east and made good time between Green River, UT and Grand Junction, CO. The Utah section of Interstate 70 was posted 80mph between Green River and the Colorado line but the truck was only able to do 75mph. The weigh scale not far into Colorado was open and I got weighed but was not pulled in. I took on fuel in Grand Junction then headed east and the curves started in De Beque Canyon. It straightened out and I went through Parachute and made a pit stop in Rifle around sunset. East of Glenwood Springs I entered a canyon and the Interstate was narrow and there were curves and the speed limit was 50mph. Then it opened up to 75mph once I exited the canyon but I started gaining altitude more. I made another pit stop in Edwards, CO and booked a room for the night in the Denver area. Then I really started ascending east of Vail and topped Vail Summit before descending into Silverthorne. Then I started gaining elevation again until I reached the Eisenhower Tunnel at the Continental Divide. East of the Eisenhower Tunnel I took it slow descending. I saw some High Occupancy Toll Lanes east of Georgetown. West of Denver I was expecting a speed limit of 55mph cars/35mph trucks but that was increased to 65mph cars/45mph trucks. Road Conditions the entire length of Interstate 70 were as good as it gets especially for December. I spent the night in Wheat Ridge, CO.

Tuesday I found out there were no other suitable trips I could do and still get home in time for the Christmas Holidays. I went ahead and booked my flight home from DEN as the price for the air ticket jumped to 45$ from 40$ earlier in the morning. I checked in online. I stopped in Aurora to top off the fuel tank then headed to the receiver and after some confusion as to where to go I made delivery. The weather was fair and the temperature got up into the 50'sF which is not bad at all for December in the Denver area. I got transport to DEN then checked my bags which weighed 43 and 40lbs. I cleared security after a queue and got TSA Precheck so I did not have to opt out. I saw a lot of dogs that were not in any type of carrier at DEN. After I cleared security I ended up having evening rations at Einstein Brothers Bagels.

Southwest #6376 DEN-LAX B-737-700 Boarding Pass C20
Seat 23C Cruising altitude not announced. Estimated flying time 1:55, actual 1:55
Depart: Gate C46 Scheduled 17h35, actual 17h59 Taxi: 13 minutes
Arrive: Gate 15 Scheduled 19h15, actual 19h16 Taxi: 8 minutes
Reclaim checked bags 35-38 minutes after arrival

The plane was late arriving from SAN. We boarded via jetway. Though I was unable to get a window seat I was very fortunate not to be stuck in a middle seat. The plane was full with load of 143/143. Pushback was 24 minutes late. I was unsure of takeoff direction but we felt bumps on climb. Seatbelt sign went off at 0:22. Drink orders were taken at 0:33. I got Nabisco Snack Mix at 0:38. I got cup of soda at 0:52. I got second cup of soda at 1:03. I felt descent begin at 1:31. Descent was announced and seatbelt sign went on at 1:36 and it was announced it was 61F and clear at LAX. I felt some bumps on descent and we landed east to west and arrived at gate one minute late. We deplaned via jetway. I saw construction at Terminal 1 entered another phase at LAX. After a lengthy wait I got my checked bags then handle on my briefcase broke so I got a luggage cart. The strap on my watch also broke. I got transport home to end this tour of duty in time for the Christmas and New Year Holidays. I am finally caught up with Trip Reports for the time being. I have not been on the road this year yet as I am dealing with a bout of the Shingles.

Outside Hodel's Bakersfield, California

Yermo, California

My ride from Bakersfield, California to Brighton, Colorado

Looking back into California from Primm, Nevada

St-George, Utah

St-George, Utah

Sunset 18th December 2017 Rifle, Colorado

Sunset 18th December 2017 Rifle, Colorado
AJO likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 1:36 am

Great trip report as always.Love the photos.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 9:19 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
That truck is impressive. Nice pics
Old Jan 19, 2018, 12:07 am

Programs: some
Nice pix!
Old Jan 20, 2018, 2:43 am

Programs: VA Gold, QF Gold, Accor Platinum
Thanks for the different trip report.
interesting what a long distance driver experiences.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.