Search

Moscow, Petra and some Gorillas in Uganda with CX, AA, BA, RJ, QR and EK in J/F

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2018, 7:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Impressive bakery-selection!

@ National: I guess we all know this chairs that can onlx be for decoration.....
Hut likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2018, 5:52 am
Hut
Original Poster

Part 9: Moscow

So, I had glorious plans to explore Moscow and see the Red Square in the summer. Generally, I do a bit of research and figure out what’s going on when I’m in town, however for some reason, I missed a couple of key details...

The first was that the Red Square was filled not with tourists, but tents, stands and equipment for the upcoming military tattoo...

The other was that it being summer, there were tourists everywhere, which meant crazy long lines to see most of the highlights on the tourist circuit.

Luckily, I was more than happy to spend a couple of days walking about the city…

There were many sights too see…

Along with hundreds of coaches, which it seems had helped to bring many of my fellow tourists in by road.

Still, the weather was fantastic, and the sights – amazing.

I also did a tour of almost every sports bar in the city to find one showing the All Blacks test.

And may have indulged in some shopping…
Old Feb 25, 2018, 6:42 am

Programs: AR, LA, A3, UT, 6R, U6, PS, SU, and many more
Isn't it Moscow the world most amazing city? I did the same sightseeing some 6 years ago, also in summer, and just 2 years later moved here definitively. I still adore this city, as the day I first arrived...
Rami Tamimi likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 4:02 am
Hut
Original Poster

Part 10: Moscow to Entebee

It being a lunchtime flight, I had a lazy morning with breakfast at the hotel followed by a long walk around the Kremlin and through Zaryadye Park before heading for the airport.

The train on the way back was mostly empty and worked as advertised. Check in was easy and security took a while but, wasn’t too bad.

S7 Airlines Lounge

I wondered down to the S7 lounge at the end of the pier, which surprised the agent on the desk and she asked if I knew I could go to the, in her words, much nicer business lounge. After saying I was just visiting for a quick look, I was welcomed in, albeit with a politely bewildered look from the agent.

It was okay, pretty busy with a few different seating areas.

There was also a bar and some pretty average looking food.

The Business Lounge

After quick visit to the S7 lounge, I headed back to the business lounge which was in fact, much nicer.

There was a lot more space, less people, but also less comfortable chairs.

The food area had a range of options that looked rather appetising – but after a big breakfast, I restrained myself to just looking.

Headed over to the gate just prior to boarding, where it was quite a mess, three flights all boarding from the same area, two of which were late… and we were also sharing the gate with another flight. A real mess!

Qatar Airways QR234
Airbus A321 (A7-AIC)
Moscow (DME) -> Doha (DOH)
Depart 13:00, Arrive 18:08, Flight Time: 5:09

The Qatar A321’s have a 2x2 layout in business, which works fine for the 5 hour trip down to Doha.

Drinks were available on the ground, so I had an orange juice.

There was also an amenity kit.

It took a while for everyone to get onboard, and I was surprised how many Kiwis were seated around me, there was a couple in the row behind, one across the aisle, another in the row in front and only the couple was travelling together.

After take-off, things started with drinks and I went with the bubbly stuff.

I’ve always been impressed by the catering on Qatar and the menu looked like it was going to be a good meal.

The appetiser was fantastic.

As was the chicken biryani I had for the main.

But, desert was where things got serious… it was so good, I had a second one!

Finally, there were some chocolates, just in case I hadn’t had enough…

Little else to report on the flight down to Doha, we landed, the airport is still impressive, and it was nice not to part with, yet more cash for a visa, when choosing a hotel outside the transit area.

W Doha

So, I arrived at the W to find that they didn’t actually have the room that I’d booked, they had one that looked the same, but was for smokers. I don’t think guy on the front desk thought that there was much of a difference. Hence, a surprised look when I inquired if it came with complementary cancer or heart disease... maybe that was a little sharp, but he got the message.

After a bit more tapping away at the keyboard, a room could be found, but it would be a wait of an hour, with dinner planned with an old college at another hotel, I needed a place to leave my stuff and have a shower, so they gave me a card to the smoking room with a promise of a new room by the time I was back.

The room for smoking, was as expected – a normal room with a distinct fragrance... still, it would suffice for a quick shower.

I returned several hours later to find a new room key and my stuff had been moved, great – or so I thought...

Fast forward several more hours, its dark, the clock says 2am and the phone is ringing… my first thought, I didn’t book a wakeup call, second thought – hopefully it isn’t something urgent… so, I answer the phone to find no one on the other end.

A minute later and the phone is ringing again, but this time there is someone there… he calls himself the night manager and explains the last guest left something in the room that they needed to collect… do I mind? Well, its 2am and it sounds pretty dodgy, but you’ve woken me up so, why not?

For some reason it took 15 mins in the dead of night for the appointed staff member to arrive and collect a coat from the wardrobe… So, with that excitement over, I went back to sleep as one does in the early hours, only to find the phone ringing again, this time the clock says 2:45 and it’s the same guy… it seems the coat collector forgot to get the shoes that were under the coat. Seriously unhappy, suggest they come quickly and get everything.

When it was time to check out, the person at the front desk asked how my stay was… clearly not knowing about last night’s events, he was surprised to find me wishing I’d stayed anywhere else… This resulted in the manager being called who, to add insult to injury, clearly didn’t believe me, so called the security team to check the cameras… once they confirmed it… then he offered 10k points and a future upgrade but didn’t think to apologise. Which I think perfectly summarises my stay at the W in Doha. With so many other options, I can’t imagine I’ll be back.

I stopped by to have breakfast with an old friend and given how much talking was involved, was a little late arriving at the airport and so had to go straight to the gate… no time for lounging!

Luckily, the train is now operational, so getting to the remote gate at the other end of the terminal was much quicker!

Qatar Airways QR1387
Airbus A330-200 (A7-ACE)
Doha (DOH) -> Entebbe (EBB)
Depart 08:05, Arrive 14:07, Flight Time: 6:02

After a short drive around the airport, which I always find fascinating, we arrived at our ride for the trip down to Entebbe.

This A330 was fitted with the MiniPod seats which are similar to the 777 ones.

Drinks were on offer on the ground, so I went with an early morning Champagne.

Amenity kits were distributed.

As was the paperwork for our arrival.

Breakfast orders were taken on the ground, and I decided I was more than ready for a second one!

After a bit of a taxi we were on our way to Africa!

After take-off there was a nice smoothie.

I went with the salmon starter and wasn’t disappointed.

This was followed by the frittata, which was also pretty good.

I spent most of the flight reading and watching the world go by.

Around midday, the crew offered drinks and nuts. There was food if we wanted, however I was still a little full after two breakfasts…

We found ourselves descending over Kampala and arriving in Entebbe a short time later, where the passport queue took well over an hour.

The tour I was doing included a transfer and the driver was waiting outside. While it took a couple of hours to get through the traffic, it was an interesting drive and I even got to help change the flat tyre!

Red Chili Hideaway

The meeting point to pick up the tour was the Red Chili backpackers, there were 6 of us joining the tour for the 7-day Uganda leg. The tour, if you do the whole thing starts in Nairobi and ends in Cape Town 58 days later!

Ended up with a relatively nice room, there was also warm running water with good pressure.

And, so the adventure begins!
Old Feb 26, 2018, 4:03 am
Hut
Original Poster

Originally Posted by eielef
Isn't it Moscow the world most amazing city? I did the same sightseeing some 6 years ago, also in summer, and just 2 years later moved here definitively. I still adore this city, as the day I first arrived...
It's a facinating place, I know I'll be back!
eielef likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 5:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Looking forward for the adventure.... Running warm water sounds promising
Hut likes this.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 3:00 am

Programs: QFF, Krisflyer
Excellent trip report. I’m looking at also staying at the Movenpick Petra. What other items that were include did they give you are a hard time over? Also how was the food both at the hotel and in Petra?
Old Mar 1, 2018, 4:16 am
Hut
Original Poster

Part 11: Queen Elizabeth National Park

The map says that Queen Elizabeth National Park is just under 300km from Kampala, however the practicalities of African overland transport dictated that getting there would take all day. Hence, required an early start to make a 5:30 departure…

A benefit of that early start, was we got to stop and have breakfast on the equator!

Alas, the coffee was instant, and at this point in my life, I was unaware that there was such a thing as a portable hand powered espresso machine…

This is also where we got a daytime introduction to our ride for the trip. As our driver would insist – it’s a truck not a bus, and it came well equipped with pretty much everything we could need. Storage under the cabin for tents, tables, chairs and cooking gear. Storage in the back for the bags and a large fridge. Seating was fairly tight and the weathertightness questionable, but it got us where we needed to go, over and even through some interesting roads!

9 hours of driving later and we had arrived… the general plan was to visit the Kyambura Gorge where it’s possible to not only see, but get pretty close to the chimpanzees and go on a game drive through the QENP. On our arrival we were split into two groups, one group would go see the chimpanzees that afternoon and our group would go the next morning.

We dropped the others off – and headed for our place to sleep for the next two nights, the Simba Safari Camp. With it forecast to rain, inquiries were made about moving from the tent to a dorm, and for a few extra dollars it was an easy choice!

Kyambura Gorge Chimpanzee Trek

The next morning, we were up only a little less early than the day before. The road out to the gorge is a shocker, so we were all well awake by the time we got there!

After signing in with the rangers, our guide led us along a pretty good track to the river below and we went in search of the chimpanzees.

We didn’t have to work hard, as we came around the corner on the track to find one walking down the track towards us, and upon seeing each other we both froze while our guide had a mini-freak out reminding everyone not to move, the chimpanzee took a seat in the middle of the track to eye us up.

All in all, I don’t actually think he cared in the slightest we were there…

So, after a bit of a think he got back up and continued walking down the path, the same one that we were all standing on, as he got closer… he did the logical thing and just walked around us! Incredible really.

We continued down the trail and saw a couple of hippos in the water.

We several more chimps in the trees, but only one more that got that close, which was very cool!

After an incredible few hours in the gorge it was time to head back to camp, on the road back we encountered some cheeky locals looking for a free feed.

And a large herd of elephants.

Queen Elizabeth National Park Game Drive

The afternoon activity was an optional game drive around the park, with 8 of us choosing to go, two open top vans arrived to take us on our way.

While the park doesn’t quite rate up there with Maasai Mara or the Serengeti NP, we saw a few hippos…

More antelopes than I could count… and I can count past three I swear!

So, here are three more!

The highlight however, had to be the lioness with her three cubs in a tree! While the cubs watched us curiously, I think mum might not be a first timer, because she didn’t really care and after lazily opening an eye went back to her mid-afternoon snooze.

I don’t often find myself wanting a better camera, but on the trip around the park I really wished I’d brought along more than just my phone!

After a couple of hours in the park it was time to head back to camp, and again, we encountered more elephants on the road!

Back at camp a great home cooked dinner was had, along with a few drinks before having a relatively early night, as it seems early starts were to be a common theme!
lb8001 and bitterproffit like this.
Old Mar 1, 2018, 4:32 am
Hut
Original Poster

Originally Posted by spizzy
Excellent trip report. I’m looking at also staying at the Movenpick Petra. What other items that were include did they give you are a hard time over? Also how was the food both at the hotel and in Petra?
The rate included breakfast and also 'rewards' which were:
  • 15% discount on Flexible Rates
  • Guaranteed upgrade to next available room type
  • Free cancellation up to 12pm on the day of arrival
  • Complimentary late check out up to 6pm
  • A USD20 voucher to spend at restaurant outlets at your booked hotel
I only ate at the hotel, so I can say that breakfast was fair to middling, not like at the Marriott or Intercon where I had to actively resist temptation... The buffet dinner was better, but if I was less tired and didn't have a voucher to spend, I probably would have headed elsewhere.

Also, if you book a flexible room and then change it, their booking engine might offer you some 'frequent guest' benefits...
Old Mar 1, 2018, 12:23 pm

Programs: BA Exec Gold , Qatar Priviledge Club Plat
Loving this so far, W Hotel in Doha sounded beyond crap ....
Old May 13, 2018, 6:50 am
Hut
Original Poster

Part 12: Bwindi Impenetrable National Park

As promised, the next dawn was enjoyed, not from the snugness of a sleeping bag, but the bus. This would be a travel day with an estimated 8-hour drive to Lake Bunyonyi where we would be spending the next couple of days.

Overland travel was surprisingly smooth once we made it on to the main roads and we arrived just in time for a mid-afternoon drenching…

It was really, really wet! Luckily, it stopped after half an hour and we could put up the tents and retired to the restaurant for a few drinks.

Finding the Gorillas in the Bwindi Impenetrable National Park

The next morning was a super early start, with us on the road in the darkness, and the first hints of sunrise were seen an hour or so in… We arrived at the ranger station just before 8 am where there was a briefing. In the briefing they explained that we would all be divided up into groups of 8 people and each group would then go out to a different family of gorillas and went over the instructions for the trek. They also set some expectations… apparently some groups could be trekking for 8+ hours through the rugged terrain before they managed to find their group! Once we were there we would be allowed to say for an hour.

We met our assigned a ranger/guide and then jumped back in our van to drive as close as we could and then started heading through the bush, the first 20 mins was rugged, but walking along established trails so not too bad.

The next 20 mins was a make your own track affair with the ranger at the front doing most of the work with his machete while we concentrated on not falling over.

But, it was worth it because then we went over a ridge and found the family we were looking for. Our guide pointed up into the canopy and we could see a Gorilla, and after watching for a few minutes it was clear there was a baby too! Soon, they descended to the ground and we moved towards the silverback.

We followed, finding him 20 metres or so further down the hill, where he was mid breakfast, and we just watched…

It was an amazing, the silverback was indifferent to our presence and just kept munching as we stood watching a few metres away.

After a bit of rustling in the background the newest member of the family turned up for some time with dad.

Then, all too quickly, our hour was up and it was time for us to leave. We retraced our steps and found ourselves on the road out of the park reflecting on an amazing experience. It has to be one of the most interesting things I’ve done on a tour, we basically rocked up in the middle of the forest and spent an hour watching a family just living their life. It felt so intimate, where you wondered if you really should be there, just standing there watching. I think what surprised me most was that it felt so familiar, almost like I understood what was going on in their interactions, even though I know that wasn’t the case. All in all, an incredible experience – I’d thoroughly recommend it!
bitterproffit likes this.
Old May 14, 2018, 12:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

That´s a great experience!
Old May 14, 2018, 9:14 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Miles and Smiles, Hhonors, ICHotels
So glad that I stumbled upon this TR today!! Great write up and some good photos. Thank you, and looking forward to the rest.
Old May 15, 2018, 7:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Bwindi is an amazing experience, and overland trucks, a great way to travel accross Africa, but quite the difference between F/J class and an overland truck
Do you mind sharing how much the permit is now?
Old May 17, 2018, 8:36 pm
Hut
Original Poster

Part 13: Kigali

After the awesomeness of the Gorillas, we had a free day around the lake, however our guide also offered a day trip to Kigali, having never been I didn’t think twice about signing up. In the tour itinerary they don’t mention the option, so I didn’t get the East Africa Visa which would have included Rwanda, however there were no issues with obtaining a visa at the border.

The trip down took most of the morning, 90 mins of which was spent at the border, it wasn’t that bad, just a few different lines to wait in, one to leave Uganda, another to see someone about getting into Rwanda, then another at the bank to pay for a visa which our guide stood in while we waited to actually get the visa!

Apparently on the last Saturday of each month everyone in the country stops for the morning to perform a community service, this could include cleaning up the streets, maintaining community infrastructure or even building something new. So, it was a surreal experience to drive through the capital’s empty streets…

We stopped off for an early lunch at Hôtel des Mille Collines, which I knew as the place which featured in Hotel Rwanda.

Which had a beautiful garden and we enjoyed a lovey lunch.

Next up was the Kigali Genocide Memorial.

Which was, well I don’t really know how to adequately describe it, extremely sobering seems empty. We spent a few hours before heading back to Lake Bunyonyi in a very subdued van.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.