Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Three Days In Libya

Three Days In Libya

Old Jan 7, 18, 5:17 pm

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan, Alaska MVP, AAdvantage, Etihad Guest, SPG Plat 75
Another big WOW!! Terrific photos.

I almost wish and think that you should be travelling with Soft Body Armour but that may present some challenges with the customs and immigration authorities.

Travel safe!!
Old Jan 7, 18, 8:57 pm

Hi Daniel,

Thank you for another good TR. How do you compare Algeria and Libya in terms of places of interests and overall attractions?

Thanks
Old Jan 8, 18, 12:46 am
Moderator: Trip Reports
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hauteboy View Post
Great report and glad I could join you on this trip! Guess I need to write my report
Many thanks, hauteboy. Yes, always great to travel with company and I guess more hassle to kidnap two of us as well. Looking forward to your Kenya adventure too.
Originally Posted by Traveller2 View Post

Fantastic report. Thanks for posting. Made for a very enjoyable read.
Travel safe.
Thanks, Traveller2. Actually looking forward to a more 'normal' and safer travel destination for a change now.
Originally Posted by snabbu View Post
As always a fascinating report Daniel, thank you.
Cheers, snabbu.
Originally Posted by roadwarrier View Post
Thank you once again - I can only echo what everyone has mentioned already. Thank you for taking time to write up these TR's.
Thank you, roadwarrier. Got a few more TR's coming soon.
Originally Posted by offerendum View Post
Impressive as always
​​​​​​​
Thanks, offerendum. My next TR may be of interest, with a few Michelin stars included.
Originally Posted by phranktzi View Post
Thanks for sharing another wonderful location that is not frequently visited.
​​​​​​​
Cheers, phranktzi. Yes, you know that you're going to some place interesting when you're the only westerners on the plane.
Originally Posted by rob_flies_ua View Post
Fantastic, thank you again for sharing! Any time I see a new TR from you, I set aside a chunk of time to go through it
​​​​​​​
Many thanks, rob_flies_ua, great to know these TR's are appreciated.
Originally Posted by Tocsin View Post
Having a non-UK passport may come in useful considering this: Map of the Day: Where the Brits never invaded - Humanosphere

Great TR, DanielW - yet again!
​​​​​​​
Haha! Yes, the NZ passport has the advantage of being relatively powerful, but also relatively benign.
Originally Posted by 757 View Post
Amazing report and photos, Daniel as always! Thank you. I always look forward to each of your reports!
​​​​​​​
Thank you, 757. I've got a couple of interesting destination TR's coming soon.
Originally Posted by flying_blue_white_red View Post
The Oscar to the best TRs goes to..., as usual, DanielW.
I'm surprised that even after our (thankgod) ousted stupid president N. Sarkozy who decided to bomb Libya (and whose presidential rallies was funded by the ex-leader of this country) , they still keep the "French Street" name...
For anyone interested in art and "old stones", what a perfect report!

Thanks a ton!
​​​​​​​
Many thanks, flying_blue_white_red. Yes, the bombing of Libya by NATO had some short term gains, but the long term instability seems to be a very high price though.
Originally Posted by frankmu View Post
Thanks for the amazing TR! As I finished the report, my thought was how does he top this? Safe travels !
​​​​​​​
Thanks, frankmu. Just back from a trip to Baghdad and it was actually probably safer than Tripoli.
Originally Posted by miuk View Post
Wow! Just amazing that you pulled off such a trip. Really an eye opener for me when comparing it Libya to the scenes from the "13hrs Benghazi" movie
​​​​​​​
Cheers, miuk. Yes, there was recent fighting in Sabratha, about 80k's west of Tripoli, when we were there so parts of the country still seem to be pretty dangerous.
Originally Posted by worldtraveller73 View Post
Another big WOW!! Terrific photos.

I almost wish and think that you should be travelling with Soft Body Armour but that may present some challenges with the customs and immigration authorities.

Travel safe!!
​​​​​​​
Many thanks, worldtraveller73. Yes, a kelvar helmet and jacket may be a good request for my next birthday or christmas present!
Originally Posted by Stefan Sip View Post
Hi Daniel,

Thank you for another good TR. How do you compare Algeria and Libya in terms of places of interests and overall attractions?

Thanks
​​​​​​​
Thanks, Stefan Sip. I haven't spent much time in both countries, but Libya didn't seem to have the same heavy police presence as Algeria. Better for security I guess, but more hassle with taking photo's as a tourist and checkpoints etc.
Old Jan 8, 18, 12:56 am

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Wow, what an Amazing TR. Thank you so much. I always get nervous regarding safety and am impressed by your patience and ability to travel so safely.
Old Jan 8, 18, 7:42 pm

Programs: Miles and More
Wow you managed to see quite a lot for a three-day trip. Thank you for a wonderful TR.
Old Jan 8, 18, 8:34 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond Medallion, IHG Platinum, HHonors Gold
Looks like you were kept busy for those 3 days. Fantastic photos as usual!
Old Jan 8, 18, 11:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gaobest View Post
Wow, what an Amazing TR. Thank you so much. I always get nervous regarding safety and am impressed by your patience and ability to travel so safely.
Thanks, gaobest. There is probably a good dose of luck with regard to safety and travel. Last month I was at Erta Ale in Ethiopia and two days after I left a German tourist was shot and killed .
https://www.ezega.com/News/NewsDetai...Medical-Doctor
Originally Posted by kubrick View Post
Wow you managed to see quite a lot for a three-day trip. Thank you for a wonderful TR.
Thank you, kubrick. Yes, definitely recommend the travel company we used, Yousuf and Salem were very friendly and professional.
Originally Posted by ChiefNWA View Post
Looks like you were kept busy for those 3 days. Fantastic photos as usual!
Many thanks, ChiefNWA. Yes, only wished we could have seen Sabratha if it was safer.
Old Jan 9, 18, 3:52 am

Programs: UA Plat, 0.7MM; PPL
A fantastic report from a fearless traveler. Thank you so much for posting it!
Old Jan 9, 18, 4:37 am
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by DanielW View Post
Thanks, offerendum. My next TR may be of interest, with a few Michelin stars included.
Im looking forward too it. Guess it will be a surprise without DanielW in grave danger
Old Jan 9, 18, 5:40 am

Programs: Some basic level ones
Fascinating and beautiful photos, as always. Thanks for taking the time to write this.
Old Jan 9, 18, 7:27 am

Programs: OneWorld Emerald (BA) & Sapphire (QR), Star Alliance Gold (O6), SkyTeam Elite Plus (AZ)
Excellent report! It's amazing to see just how normal life can seem even with gunfire in the distance!
Old Jan 9, 18, 8:50 am

Programs: AA Exp, One World Emerald
Great report, looks like it was a good adventure.
Old Jan 10, 18, 12:45 pm

You have a lot of courage. Always wanted to see these Roman ruins.
Old Jan 11, 18, 12:33 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sincx View Post
A fantastic report from a fearless traveler. Thank you so much for posting it!
Thanks, sincx. Probably not fearless, may be a little foolish though.
Originally Posted by offerendum View Post
Im looking forward too it. Guess it will be a surprise without DanielW in grave danger
A bit more conventional but still alot of fun.
​​​​​​​
Originally Posted by mlpinto View Post
Fascinating and beautiful photos, as always. Thanks for taking the time to write this.
Thank you, mlpinto. Thanks for reading it.
​​​​​​​
Originally Posted by shefgab View Post
Excellent report! It's amazing to see just how normal life can seem even with gunfire in the distance!
Cheers, shefgab. Yes, hard to imagine there was hardcore fighting an hours drive west of the city too.
Originally Posted by tjcnkc View Post
Great report, looks like it was a good adventure.
Thanks, tjcnkc, yes a great three days away.
Originally Posted by Bretteee View Post
You have a lot of courage. Always wanted to see these Roman ruins.
Many thanks, Bretteee. Yes, the Roman ruins were the best I have ever seen, especially in terms of the 'exclusivity'.
Old Jan 11, 18, 12:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG / Marriott GLD, HHonors GLD
Fantastic trip report, thank you for taking the time. Your pictures speak more than words could. Also took a little bit too much time the last few days reading through some your previous escapades. Glad to see that I'm not the only one drawn to the less traveled and more fascinating places - just need to borrow a little bit of your fearlessness. Given your frequent travels through less conventional places, your family / friends must be more used to it by now, but how did you handle their concern/worries when you first started exploring more off the beaten path / conventionally considered dangerous places?

Search this Thread