Wiki Posts
Search

After the rain, comes the sun in BURUNDI, Kenya Airways to LHR via CPT in J

Search this Thread

Old Dec 25, 2017, 2:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: Flying Blue, Diamond Club
A tranquil second leg: Livingstone to Cape Town

Then a tasty lunch followed. I settled for an American movie that could equal the beauty of the Planet Earth and gazing outside at the Okavango delta.

Okavango delta in Botswana

LVI – CPT lunch with hake (fish)

Snow in South Africa

Landing on time, no wait at the immigration and I went to pick up the rental car.

Cape Town is one of my favorite city on the continent. Despite having being there twice, I could never to go to the top of Table Mountain due to either lack of time or bad weather conditions. Glad this time I could make it.

I stayed one night at the comfortable and modern Hotel Park Inn by Radisson Cape Town Newlands which offered a no brainer deal at €32 per night/no breakfast...(usually one can expect 90 -150 euro per night in various locations worldwide).

Finally, I've made it to the top of Table Mountain – yeah!

Calamari starter at Spur Steak Ranches

A really good value chain, i.e. this amazing 500g T-Bone steak for only ZAR 170
Old Dec 25, 2017, 2:25 am
Original Poster

Cape Town airport

After returning the rental car at Hertz office, (which fooled me because they added some obscure charges and included a fee for filling up the tank which I nonetheless did it – with the BP petrol station receipt prior handing over the key), I walked to the upper level at the check in area. The friendly SA contracted staff tagged the luggage up to Montpellier instead of, as per the booking, Paris CDG.

Beautiful architecture

Quick and efficient check in procedure

Like JNB, most intercontinental flights depart in the evening, so only the domestic screening was busy. In no time airside, I stocked up on delicious biltong snacks and headed off to the multi airlines Bidvest Lounge located at the mezzanine, where a delayed EK fustrated premium passengers inside.

Airy and luminous

It matches with the JNB one though on the smaller side, great F&B offering, view to the terminal (here a glimpse to the apron too), vast individual toilet/shower cabin, SA magazines/newspapers, reliable and fast wifi and nice furnitures.

Main room

More seating

Some of the booze

Cold and hot options

Sparkling wine so sweet and disgusting!

A Star Alliance majority

Old Dec 25, 2017, 2:27 am
Original Poster

Kenya Airways, Cape Town to Victoria Falls

Boarding process began on time, but we were put on hold for a while inside the jetbridge.
Apparently, a one off B738 was scheduled on that route in August 2017, otherwise be ready to endure 7h in an Embraer 190.
Exactly the same crew as the eve, so great and personalized welcome! 50% LF in J and 80% in Y..
We took off 30 minutes behind the schedule for unknown reason.
Immediately after Wayingu took the lunch order and distributed the rudimentary headphones.

KQ793
Cape Town – Nairobi
Via Victoria Falls (Zimbabwe)
14:25 – 22:10 (06h45)
Embraer 190
Business

A 1 – 2 lay out in business class, could be worse for the next 7h.

No coaster?

CPT

Why on earth did I pay to go to Table Mountain the eve???

No suggestion of reading material prior taking off, while my favorite paper was on stock!

No tablecloth present? (Spicy meat balls)

Sorry I was starving and asked for a second course. (Pumpkin gnocchi)

Sadly no more Amarula with KQ, thus sticking to Baileys

Okavango delta, again

Victoria Falls airport – VFA

We landed slightly late, the lone international aircraft welcomed 6 passengers in J and roughly 45 pax in Y on this 2 sector trip at sunset.

Original construction to bring an international dimension

Old terminal, now dedicated to domestic ops

Old Dec 25, 2017, 2:28 am
Original Poster

KQ793: Victoria Falls to Nairobi

As a venerable armchairs aviation expert, without any official figures and purely based on observing the 4 sectors loads, I can conclude that the route is performing pretty well!

As you can watch on the footage, Captain Keyra and his mate worked wonders with the free Flight of Angel as a gift like yesterday! So please folks, share your experiences if you too have flown KQ recently on that route, did you get free loops above the Mosi Oa Tunya?

A huge mistake from the cabin crew that considerably ruined the night experience over the Falls! ;-)

Service wise it was a certified copy of the previous leg.

Sarah, one of the crew, asked a service related question to a Chinese guy something like if he wanted a drink or anything else after the dinner. The customer, who seemed totally lost/confused, rushed instantly to the Y cabin. 3 minutes later he pointed out to the staff his Chinese colleague. The latter did the interpreter for both parties to get a cup of tea for his alleged boss. I did like the puzzled crew face during the "long" minutes of his disappearance!

Minus 300 on the Scoville scale, well, bread rolls tasted spicier than the peri peri sauce chicken ...!

Too bad the traces from crew fingers or tongs certainly!

I mostly spent time discussing with 4A Kenyan chap

Late landing, and we parked at T1D where a paxbus drove us to the T1A.

A bit delayed
Old Dec 25, 2017, 2:30 am
Original Poster

Kenya Airways' flagship Pride Lounge, T1A – 1/3

The downside of willing to experience the new London timetable appears on the longish lay over of 10h at JKIA. (Technically half way between CPT – VFA , I was already requalified as Flying Blue Gold).

At closing time of the nice Simba Lounge, I made my way to KQ's flagship lounge – open 24/7 to settle down and starting writing this TR. Every now and then, a break needed to buy trendy African stuffs incl sandals, mine were near to death.

4th floor at gate 17

The African version of Skyteam Lounge iconic vegetal wall

Seating with the best views to the traffic

Like that (taken later)

KQ B788 5Y-KZG, sporting the « Magical Kenya » livery, taxiing out

Dining room

Old Dec 25, 2017, 2:34 am
Original Poster

Flagship Pride Lounge Nairobi - 2/3

When I left the Pride Lounge to buy the sandals, mostly NBO/KQ staff strolled there, either for cleaning or for resting/break time. They were all polite and quiet so not a big deal!

Near gate 15, a coloured old tired man, holding a BP in his hand, was begging in French everyone passing by if he/she could assist him. Like in many streets of this world, most of people ignored him, in this case, mainly due to the language barrier, I presume.

Initially, I paid little to no attention to his request and showed him the direction of the infos desk not to far.
However, having 8h to spare before KQ100, intrigued by this "Mzee", he told me that he nor his wife – sitting on one of the bench nearby – could speak any English word properly. (Mine is lackustre though)!

Basically, after visiting their oldest daughter, studying in Roma, their return journey with the clowns at Ethiopian Airlines was a comedy of errors. Tuth be told, they were living a nightmare and were stucked here with no information and no assistance!

They departed FCO with a 2h delay for technical issue and were told by the staff in Italy that everything should be all right for the rest of the trip to Madagascar (TNR). Upon landing at ADD, as the pilots could not make up the delay, they missed the connecting flight and were told they would be rebooked on the horribly late evening flight, which finally got cancelled by ET due operational reasons!?!

Stranded in ADD in a miserable position for their venerable age plus with no option to choose from, an ET agent suggested a midday flight to NBO and then the KQ option to TNR, forcing them to endure a 53h trip including this long wait at NBO... It was extremely shocking the way Ethiopian treat passengers in case of IRROPS, let alone the elderly people! To add insult to injury, they had not received any food/drink or zero assistance since they arrived in NBO.

Honestly, I could not believe my ears/eyes until I felt obliged to help them!

Now It sheds light on why ET suggests so very attractive fares if customer service is so crap! Think twice before booking with Ethiopian. In case of you are clearly left on your own somewhere far from your homecountry .

Admittedly, it was not a piece of cake to solve their tricky situation. While waiting for positive answers, the retired Police officer ("Gendarme" in accurate French) obviously revealed me that Ethiopian Airlines sucks from A to Z and they will never fly again with them. And he was 110% right. I explained them about the EC261/2004 compensation (when we exchanged mails last November, without hope they were still waiting for an answer from ET) and the fact they should expect food & drinks and eventually accomodation during long lay over.

KQ staff, especially Lavy, handled perfectly the issue on behalf of indifferent and apathetic ET staffs, that clearly showed no sign of interest of their problem. The worst thing is that 30 other travellers got the same issues as this couple, but people started getting upset to KQ staff that had nothing to do with the orign of the problem in ADD & Ethiopian...! (sigh).

This innocent elderly couple was granted a much needed invitation to the foremost KQ Simba lounge ( unfortunately no shower for them) opposite to the Government and/or smoking Lounge at gate 6 that seemed to be the strict minimum they should have been allowed now and even hours before. We shared a last drink at 3.30am (yup, you read correctly, 2.5 long hours to find a suitable solution) and I made sure that their luggages would follow them on the flight and they would report on time at 8.30 am first at the transfer desk to check the gate and then will be directed to the correct flight.

Back to the PL – sleeping zone

(sorry for the blurry picture)

Newspapers stand before the morning (local) newspapers

Free to use Samsung gadgets – no printer though!

Complimentary shower kit offered

Old Dec 25, 2017, 2:37 am
Original Poster

Kenya Airways flagship Pride Lounge Nairobi - 3/3

After a quick search through the FT tool, I believe this the first report covering this lounge.

By the way, don't be shy to visit there, especially if you are on a night lay over, as subject to availability, anyone can enter here after paying a small fee of usd 40.

At 5 am, the morning wave of pax started flowing into the spacious lounge but got quickly crammed.
NBO staff set up the breakfast buffet for the arriving passengers. To catch forty winks I settled down on the one and only place you can view arriving/departing traffic, at the right after the lounge entrance... Just in case!

Outside view from the dining area shown above (taken in the morning too)

The largest of the 2 bars

A tastier variant is poached eggs with spinach

(Past midnight, low light due to energy saving, and cleaning)

Second (smaller) bar near the smoking room

Old Dec 25, 2017, 2:39 am
Original Poster

Kenya Airways' flagship route: KQ100 to London

1h pior departure, the boarding gate almost deserted would predict a light load.
Heck no way, the jetbridge being jam packed meant that the British clients inconsciously endorse the Ryanair attitude by anticipating boarding ??

Time to reach G17

KQ100
Nairobi - London
9:20 - 16:15 (08h55)
Boeing 788
Business

At the time of writing, except the BKK-HKG-BKK sectors (now axed), all intercontinental flights were nearly full in both cabins in 2017. For the best of East Africa and Kenya!

The angled lie seat, Zodiac Aura Lite is definitely comfortable even though not full access. A new pouch less attractive was already there in one of the few storages.

Usual pre-departure procedures, welcoming charming crew, an orange juice, local newspapers and a weekly American magazine and off we go!

3rd time with Zambezi River (a wink to something cool the days before?)

Seats 2G&H (Taken upon disembarking)

For British travellers, a few years ago Virgin Atlantic was scheduling from Nairobi a morning departure that allowed also great views all the way. One could glimpse the magnificient Mount Kenya outside!

For skillful climbers : the challenging Mount Kenya culminating at 5199 m

Last edited by flying_blue_white_red; Dec 26, 2017 at 10:29 am
Old Dec 25, 2017, 2:41 am
Original Poster

Kenya Airways' flagship route: KQ100 to London - 2/3

The breakfast menu was handed over and the windows were not darkened at once quickly by the crew which was reassuring!
Next to me, the Norwegian lady dived into bed after breakfast main course.
After a quick cabin tour, only 7 min afterwards I imitated her for an impressive 4h deep sleep.

« Paneer and Vegetable Brochette, Sauteed Mushrooms Maxim Potatoes, Sauteed Spinach and Grilled Tomatoes » an interesting discovery, for sure !

(Taken at home)

Lip balm and shoe-horn are sadly no more

More than 2m to stretch out your legs under or not the thick warm blanket

Second cabin : no upgrade and no seat left..

First cabin : same story here, completely full

Frequent visits from the crew, in case you needed anything !

Last edited by flying_blue_white_red; Dec 28, 2017 at 4:51 pm
Old Dec 25, 2017, 2:43 am
Original Poster

Kenya Airways' flagship route: KQ100 to London - 3/3

Waking up over Egypt, time to continue the job, at 1pm UK time.
An "incredible" news was the onboard bar set up, 3rd time to see it out 8 flights on their Dream)liner (+1 on their 77W).
Actually, you can just tell your wish and the caring crew will bring over to your seat in no time! A perfect G&T to warm you up along with some cashew nuts (no photo sorry)!

The flight duration is slightly longer (20-30 min mostly due to circling over London ) than CDG/AMS, hence it was surprising to get a second hot meal served above the Greek Islands. It tasted great, I'm just disappointed because there are no choice anymore for starter, but if this cost cutting measure can turn the airline into profitability asap then, it's approved!

The Egyptian path (instead of Libya) since 2011, still a no fly zone?

Feeling thirsty ?

Wine list

Lunch menu

Warm bread roll

Salad of Marinated Grilled Vegetables, Quenelle of Babaganoush

Slow Cooked Grilled Beef Medallion, Balsamic Jus, Pureed Potatoes with Leeks, Sauteed Broccoli and turned Carrots

Cognac and cappucino

Ok, one of the main reasons to select KQ over the competitors, be them African or European, is their incredibly African music library. They certainly have the finest and trendiest especially with the East African tunes.

The movie I tried to watch Hang Over which did not live up to the expectations but it did not matter as for once I got the best side to enjoy stunning views over Europe's finance capital!

Hang Over 3 movie was like watching grass grow...

One of Kenya Airways' many attributes

An excellent responsive touchscreen TV

The next carrier !
Old Dec 25, 2017, 2:45 am
Original Poster

At the end of the day...

I spent one hour at the Skyteam Lounge, before boarding Air France A320 to CDG, quite full!

Kenya Airways B788 5Y-KZB at London LHR

See you soon Zambezi River !

AF1281
London LHR – Paris CDG
17:35 – 19:50 (01h15)
Airbus A320
Business

Preparing KQ101 to Nairobi

Afternoon menu

AF C class meal
Old Dec 25, 2017, 2:47 am
Original Poster

Final thoughts

1/ Burundi

Bujumbura is far from a rundown dirty city as one could think. Currently it's impressive the number of Police Officers, soldiers and armed force on the streets, hence security is enforced. Most (if not all?) Burundians are welcoming, friendly and... honest, I mean they are not trying to rip tourist off!
Werstern medias news and foreign travel advices must be taken with grain of salt. You now have the proof that traveling to Burundi is safe, and moreover, you'll enjoy your stay!

2/ Kenya Airways

My shuttles between Europe and Rwanda/Southern Africa over the years have been mainly focused on Kenya Airways.

Since the first flight in 2001, generously offered by my dad for being graduated cost 4000 French francs (EUR 800 at today's rate) on a CDG-AMS-NBO-CDG, where with my best pal we'd thoroughly enjoyed the most of delights of AMS during our layover, they are consistent and reliable.

Despite facing many challenges/competitors even from East Africa with RwandAir and soon Air Tanzania with its B787, they remain the one and only Pride Of Africa, even if sometimes small details are forgotten especially on continental services!

Surely, they might certainly not be the best carrier covering the globe, but they don't let you down if something unexpected happens !

As a simple conclusion, there are some of my stats with KQ right after that TR and 102 sectors (distances in miles) :

1/ Number of destinations travelled/total: 16/53 (30%)
AMS, BJM, CDG, CPT, DXB, EBB, HKG, HRE, JNB, KGL, KIS, LHR, LUN, LLW, NBO and MBA.

11 African destinations

5 intercontinental routes

1/ Most flown sectors: Nairobi – Kigali (23/102) with a majority of KQ448 (9)
3/ Shortest leg flown: Kigali – Bujumbura, 110 miles
4/ Longest leg: HKG – NBO, 5427 miles
5/ Average/total distances: 1337 miles, like a NBO – FIH, meaning 6,2 times a round the world or 64% earth to the moon distance, translating into 336 hours nonstop spent in their tubes.
6/ Class of travel: 76 Y / 26J
7/ Aircrafts: E70/E90/733/737/738/767/772/77W/787 with mostly 737 all variants!
8/ Special liveries: EMB190 Skyteam (NBO – KIS), EMB190 - 900th from Embraer (KGL – NBO)
9/ Fifth freedom sectors: 1/9, Kigali – Bujumbura return, 7 times

FUN FACTS:

*Flights cancelled by KQ: 0 (= yes, Zero...)
*Scheduled flights changed by more than 30 min : 0 (Yes, exactly the same)
*Number of upgrade: 0/102 (albeit 2 with AF, 1 with Garuda)
*Diversion: 1/102 on a KGL-NBO via BJM, that landed at MBA instead.
*Celebrities: RwandAir CEO (January 2015), KQ's former CEO (November 2016)
*Liters of Tusker Lager drunk: 1,66 meaning 5 cans
*Liters of champagne: 4,7 or 6,26 bottles or 37,6 glasses

Nota Bene: The old couple landed at odd hours in TNR, with all the luggages on time. They sent a claim to ET for the insane delay in July, but so far apart from an automated answer, they haven't seen any apologies nor goodwill gesture from Ethiopian. (From the last discussion with them in November 2017)!

EDIT: At the 24th of December 2017, the updated figures show that now:

118 flights, including 2 generous upgrades... but for the rest of the stats, you will have to wait the 200th version of this report.

The very first upgrade from KQ.

Many thanks for reading until the end of this long trip report, hope you enjoyed!

Comments and corrections are always valuable, so feel free

Leonard / Flying Blue White Red
Old Dec 25, 2017, 10:29 pm

Love the pics from Bujumbura. Burundi is on my travel list but have heard since the political crisis it isn't so safe any more. An American travel blogger I follow got arrested and spent the night in jail on suspicion of being a spy!
https://globalgaz.com/dustin-pfundhe...0-help-tinder/

And another got fleeced by a corrupt cop.
Burundi ? Ramblin' Randy

KQ looks like a good experience, and the great east African tunes.
Old Dec 26, 2017, 8:38 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, Hyatt Prive, Hilton Impressario, Marriott Stars/Luminous, Roswood Elite, MO Fan Club
Thanks for such a detailed report on my home carrier, KQ! Brings back the memories of the several flights I took with them to visit my family on KIS-NBO-BOM in my childhood.
Old Dec 26, 2017, 9:01 am

Programs: BA Gold, ELAL Top Platinum
Fabulous read!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.