Search

Fall Trip To Eastern Canada

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2017, 1:18 pm
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold
Originally Posted by somemale
Well done by not being taken aback by the service at Chinese restaurants!

Great observations about the Ethnic Town's in Toronto. China Town and Korea Town are indeed extremly small compared to other North American counterparts, but similar to how SoCal has places like San Gabriel, Montery Park, Arcadia etc, Toronto has a huge ethnic population in the GTA (Greater Toronto Area), with Chinese being the largest. There is a larger Korean Town north of Downtown Toronto as well. To be honest, Chinese food in Chinatown is average at best. There are many Hong Kong level Chinese restaurants in the GTA (and to me, exceed in some areas as I find the Seafood cheaper and fresher in Canada compared to Hong Kong) that you can try to venture out next time if you ever return. My overall take on this is; Chinatown was established long time ago for immigrants to be able to survive and make a living. But as time goes on as you have a new wave of immigration where people are coming with 'plane' (no longer boats) loads of money, they bring with them the need for more luxurious or higher quality Chinese restaurants. That's when you start having Chef's from Hong Kong come over to bring thier expertise. As the more affluent Chinese people tend to live in the suburbs, that's where you'll find better Chinese restaurants. IMO it's very similar to LA downtown Chinatown vs some of those places that I mentioned at the beginning of this paragraph.
Got it. So like LA one would need a car to really discover all of burbs of Toronto.
Old Jan 1, 2018, 11:32 pm

Programs: VA, SQ, IHG, HH,ALL, Europcar
Originally Posted by somemale
Loving this Trip Report so far, especially since Toronto is where I'm from! It's nice to see first time visitors appreicate the city as much as I do. I surely do miss it... this picture in particular, since I live in the building on the left (whenever I am back in TO every 3-4 months).

It is quite strange how you had multiple questions about it being a Fall TR, yet your positing in December. Perhaps it is your awesome pictures that distract everyone from the text?

Looking forward to reading the rest. Great style and perspective!

Great TR

I enjoyed your words and your pictures.

I totally get why you are posting your Fall TR in December - it is because you had time to write and edit.

It does not matter to me when you travelled I appreciate the efforts you made to share your experiences with is, which is the whole purpose of this part of the forum.

While it can be exciting to have a hot off the press updates - it does not diminish from the content if its posted later even a year later.

Maybe the critics should post more - and be more appreciative of other contributors.

Personally I found the TR of BBB to be excellent - and I was following a big trip he did, but so many critics stopped him in his tracks.

If you don't like someones contribution move on ....
Old Jan 2, 2018, 2:16 pm
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold
Originally Posted by adampenrith
Great TR

I enjoyed your words and your pictures.

I totally get why you are posting your Fall TR in December - it is because you had time to write and edit.

It does not matter to me when you travelled I appreciate the efforts you made to share your experiences with is, which is the whole purpose of this part of the forum.

While it can be exciting to have a hot off the press updates - it does not diminish from the content if its posted later even a year later.

Maybe the critics should post more - and be more appreciative of other contributors.

Personally I found the TR of BBB to be excellent - and I was following a big trip he did, but so many critics stopped him in his tracks.

If you don't like someones contribution move on ....
Thank You for taking the time to read the report and respond. Luckily for me I can hold my own in a knife fight so the topic you mentioned above do not bother me.
adampenrith likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.