Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

2 studs do Hawaii (via AMS, DUB, JFK, LAX and CDG for good measure on the way back!)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2 studs do Hawaii (via AMS, DUB, JFK, LAX and CDG for good measure on the way back!)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2017, 10:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond, Mucci de buveur de gin
Originally Posted by daftboy
Great TR so far, thanks for sharing ^

And that’s a travesty you have never been to NYC proper, glad you are rectifying it!
Thanks daftboy - can't wait for NYC!

Originally Posted by Andriyko
Great report so far Stu! Always, always enjoy reading your TRs. Thank you for sharing.
Cheers Andriyko - have started to tap the next part out so should be up soon.

Originally Posted by hugolover
Nice report. ABZ Hampton looks really good, the breakfast always puts the US properties to shame. There's loads of Hiltons in Aberdeen and soon there will be a full Hilton opening that will bring an Exec Lounge to the city.

New CW food looks great. Love the starters, especially soup (shame it was cold), and the glassware. I think the salmon looks lovely but then I love wilted spinach! Real improvement.
Ah hugolover - I didn't know about the new Hilton opening in Aberdeen. Where will it be situated?

New CW definitely an improvement - some things to work on but a step in the right direction.
Old Dec 27, 2017, 10:41 am
Original Poster

Woke up the next morning at a fairly decent time. It's amazing what some shut eye on the plane achieves. The view from the balcony was pretty good!

After grabbing a quick breakfast, we hopped into the car and drove up the centre of the island and popped out at the north of the island (North Shore area) taking in the views as we worked our way along the windy roads.

I even managed a paddle in the sea which was lovely (until a massive wave came and caught me off guard and my shorts got drenched!)

C said that he wanted to stop at some of the numerous shrimp trucks that are by the side of the road so we ended up stopping at Giovanni's. I mean this place didn't look like much - a few tents selling cheap tat and then a truck where some guy serves shrimps at the side of the road. Anyway, I wasn't hungry after having had a massive breakfast but C was. From joining the queue to C getting his shrimp took an hour - I'm hoping that they were the best damned shrimp he had ever had! You gotta hand it to Giovanni - he's got a simple menu - the lemon butter shrimp or the "No Refunds" shrimp (named that way because the shrimp are doused in hot sauce which you get to have a taste of before you place your order in case it is too hot for you to handle). 14 bucks for 6 shrimp - this guy must make a KILLING! I forgot to take a pic of the truck so you'll have to make do with a google image.

Anyway, the shrimp were decent - by the time C actually got them I was getting hungry so I tried one of each. The hot sauce was great.

It was great not having a plan as such. We just drove and stopped off at parts which looked like fun while heading down the east coast.

Stephenk82 likes this.

Last edited by stu1985; Dec 30, 2017 at 7:24 am
Old Dec 27, 2017, 10:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
All that food looks so nice.

Great report.
Old Dec 28, 2017, 1:00 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, Emirates Silver, Virgin Silver, Marriott Titanium
Great scenery there and a great place to watch the sun set.
Old Dec 30, 2017, 7:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Annalisa12
All that food looks so nice.

Great report.
That was one thing I couldn't fault on the trip - the food. Thanks for reading Annalisa12!

Originally Posted by nequine
Great scenery there and a great place to watch the sun set.
Cheers nequine - yeah, would definitely choose an ocean facing room if I stayed at that hotel again rather than one which faced the hills and / or Diamond Head.
Old Dec 30, 2017, 8:52 am

Programs: BA Gold, KFC 'The Colonel's Club' Palladium tier, Mucci des Visions Célestes du Nord-Pas-de-Calais
I love your writing style, very upbeat and I can tell you would be fun to travel with.
Old Dec 30, 2017, 1:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by choosethedrew
I love your writing style, very upbeat and I can tell you would be fun to travel with.
Aww thanks choosethedrew - glad someone here thinks so! Heheheh!
choosethedrew likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2017, 2:06 pm
Original Poster

Meh - it was a bit cloudy when I woke up the next morning although it was mild enough outside.

After another big breakfast, we decided to walk up to Diamond Head which is described as a volcanic tuff cone around 400,000 - 500,000 years old. It would take us around an hour to walk up to the top where we would be rewarded with some great views over Waikiki (like this one which I took a couple of years back.....)

Unfortunately today, the reality was a bit different. We got to the entrance where there was a sign up saying that Diamond Head was shut every Monday - Thursday as they were trying to sort out the stability of rocks on the volcano which had been coming loose and falling down the side. Damn! We walked around Diamond Head through a residential area and saw a wee beach and a lighthouse. It wasn't what we were expecting but the walk itself was nice. At one point, it did start pouring with rain so we hastily took shelter under a nearby tree.

On the way back down we came across some of the cutest houses!

After a quick stop at an ABC store for some beers and some coke, we headed back to the hotel to chill for an hour or so and decide what we wanted to do in the afternoon. Nothing better than a beer on the balcony watching the world pass by below, is there?!

Uh-oh.....some rain clouds coming in over the mountains!

We decided to drive along the south of the island. Once we were on the road, it looked familiar and I realised that I had taken a tour down this way when I had been there in 2015. We stopped off at the Kahauloa Cove lookout first and then headed down to the Halona Blowhole point. I could have spent hours and hours here watching the seawater come rushing into the hole and the resulting explosion of water coming up from the rocks. In fact, I think C got bored waiting for me as I took photo after photo - haha! It was great to go back because last time I was there, the sea was relatively calm and this time, it was anything but. There's a video on my Instagram of a great wave coming up from the rocks!

The waves and the colour of the sea against the dark rock just looked spectacular!

We then hopped back in the car and drove around to the Makapu'u Point Lighthouse trail. It was a decent enough hike and actually great to do while it was slightly cloudy. Once we got to the top (after maybe 30-35 mins of walking), there were some nice views to Kaupo Bay and Makapu'u Beach.

The sun was just starting to set as we were at the bottom of the hike but I was back at the hotel in enough time to get a glimpse of it from my balcony (while sipping on a cold IPA).

That night, we took a walk to some place that C had been recommended to go to for dinner - House Without a Key. It's a restaurant in the Halekulani hotel. To be honest, I was a bit underwhelmed. The hotel looked great, there was a cool band playing when we arrived, the staff were really nice but the food wasn't up to all that much. But you live and learn!

It was strange seeing Christmas decorations up when it was warm outside - a very different experience to back home!

I ended up staying out myself that evening and made some new friends in my (now) favourite pub in Waikiki, the little Karaoke haunt. It never ceases to amaze me some of the really interesting people you get to meet when you just start up a conversation at a bar. Anyway, I had a great night. Lots of drinks were consumed, shots were slammed back and I managed to find my way back to the hotel (to be fair, it was just around the corner.....!). The booze was the pre-cursor to a brilliant night's sleep
Old Dec 31, 2017, 3:57 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, Emirates Silver, Virgin Silver, Marriott Titanium
I'd be keeping you company watching the blowhole too! I could stand for hours watching the waves when doing the Great Ocean road in Australia.

Your detour certainly looked quite good on the photo front.
Old Jan 1, 2018, 5:11 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, MUCCI, Elite Fan of MO, ALL Accor Live Gold
​​​​​​​Love your TR’s ​​​​​​​stu1985​​​​​​​, they are the best ^​​​​​​​
Old Jan 1, 2018, 7:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Oh, the memories this engenders, stu1985 , including 'creative routings'!

Especially the photos showing our previous hotel (Pacific Beach) alongside the church with the green roof! Haha, we had a better view of Waikiki, if only from the 28th floor No-status OAPs have to choose hotels based on (a) smoking rooms, and (b) cost!

Fully agree with your comment on the random clothing of AA's FAs. Anything dark blue seems to do!

Last edited by T8191; Jan 1, 2018 at 7:37 am Reason: hoops ... [b] is not helpful!
Old Jan 1, 2018, 7:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nequine
I'd be keeping you company watching the blowhole too! I could stand for hours watching the waves when doing the Great Ocean road in Australia.

Your detour certainly looked quite good on the photo front.
^

Originally Posted by Grande Annee
Love your TR’s ​​​​​​​stu1985​​​​​​​, they are the best ^​​​​​​​
Aww thanks Grande Annee - wha a lovely thing to say!
Old Jan 1, 2018, 7:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by T8191
Oh, the memories this engenders, stu1985 , including 'creative routings'!

Especially the photos showing our previous hotel (Pacific Beach) alongside the church with the green roof! Haha, we had a better view of Waikiki, if only from the 28th floor No-status OAPs have to choose hotels based on [a] smoking rooms, and cost!

Fully agree with your comment on the random clothing of AA's FAs. Anything dark blue seems to do!
Thanks reading Uncle T! The creative route wasn't my idea..... and it was quite long on the way back! Still fun though. Yeah, there are some hotels with better views. I might try stay somewhere a block closer to the ocean next time I go!
T8191 likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2018, 7:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by stu1985
Thanks reading Uncle T! The creative route wasn't my idea..... and it was quite long on the way back! Still fun though. Yeah, there are some hotels with better views. I might try stay somewhere a block closer to the ocean next time I go!
Our return from OGG was a 48-hour grind from getting up in the morning, or 36 hours from leaving the hotel ... and we're older than you
Old Jan 1, 2018, 8:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Two studs, haven’t even seen one yet?
choosethedrew, T8191 and kosy91 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.