Beijing, Xi'an and Chengdu via JAL and Korean First Class

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Beijing, Xi'an and Chengdu via JAL and Korean First Class

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2017, 6:05 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
I was in XIY for 3 ish days in between some crazy mileage running with CX. Amazing food, amazing sights, really blown me away...even with my xenophobia as an HKer. Have fun.
Old Oct 15, 2017, 6:08 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, IHG Gold, HH Silver
Great report so far, SFO777. Excited to see another report from you and looking forward to the rest!

JAL F looks nice, but not as nice definitely from your last trip with them. The food looks good, but it does look like the catering this time around was different!
Old Oct 15, 2017, 6:55 pm
Moderator, All Nippon Airways and Japan

Programs: NH SFC (*G), JL JGP (OWE), AS MVP, WOH E, IHG SE
A good start to your report, SFO777. Catering ex-Japan has always been better than that from outstations, both on JAL and ANA, and regardless of class. However, like you I have noted an overall downward slide in quality (more so with ANA than JAL), unfortunately.
Old Oct 15, 2017, 7:40 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.1MM , Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Discoverist
This will be another great one! Great start already, SFO777. Looking forward to the rest.
Old Oct 15, 2017, 7:45 pm

Programs: SPG LT Plat ANA Plat
Welcome back SFO, losudy weather in Japan , Seoul will be better.

BEDD, hmm, sometimes having things explanied just doesnt help, It seems not to be strange in Japanese, after 15 years I just let it slide, but maybe you need " a subtle reminder you have a flat bed " we wre all getting older !!
Old Oct 15, 2017, 8:35 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
SFO777 Great start....realistic report...I will make sur never to blow my miles on JAL F !
Old Oct 16, 2017, 7:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Thanks for the report! That food looks pretty miserable. I was thinking of blowing some AA miles on a JL J award ticket to TYO but it doesn't appear to be anything above and/or beyond AA's J product.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 8:26 pm

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
Yikes. Two years ago JL had the best catering of any carrier I'd yet flown in F (LH, CX, SQ, EK, TG).
Old Oct 17, 2017, 8:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by SFO777
While Mrs. SFO777 chilled, I headed over to the One World Business Class Lounge to find a colleague and guest her into the Qantas Lounge. On the way, the line to get into the Korean Lounge. Wow. It ain't that great folks. LOL.

But... all the bloggers tell me all I need for lounge access is a CSR and its Priority Pass! Makes me wonder how long certain lounges like the Korean LAX one will put up with the crowds and probably crappy atmosphere all the guests are creating and just opt out of PP.

Good start to the report. I'm going to Beijing in February for the first time, so curious to see that portion. That JAL F meal looks straight up bizarre, and worse than the ANA J meal I had a few months back ex-USA.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 5:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by krazykanuck
But... all the bloggers tell me all I need for lounge access is a CSR and its Priority Pass! Makes me wonder how long certain lounges like the Korean LAX one will put up with the crowds and probably crappy atmosphere all the guests are creating and just opt out of PP.

Good start to the report. I'm going to Beijing in February for the first time, so curious to see that portion. That JAL F meal looks straight up bizarre, and worse than the ANA J meal I had a few months back ex-USA.
At many of the PP lounges there are signs that say they PP members might not have access during certain time of the day. Amex is making changes to the PLT cards and access to the Centurion lounges.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
One phrase I read again and again: not very good. Shame.......See how Korean will perform
Old Oct 18, 2017, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Sorry for the delay in updated this report. I'm having issues with stable and reliable internet connection. It seems like either the Chinese firewall doesn't like my PVN or my MacBook has an unknown ailment. I just can't get consistent quality internet for me to update with pics.

Originally Posted by G-CIVC
I was in XIY for 3 ish days in between some crazy mileage running with CX. Amazing food, amazing sights, really blown me away...even with my xenophobia as an HKer. Have fun.
Thank you G-CIVC. We're just finishing up Xian today before heading to Chengdu. Terracotta warriors were amazing. And we burned off our 20 course HotPot lunch by biking all 8.5 miles around the city wall.

Originally Posted by 757
Great report so far, SFO777. Excited to see another report from you and looking forward to the rest! JAL F looks nice, but not as nice definitely from your last trip with them. The food looks good, but it does look like the catering this time around was different!
Thank you very much 757. Sorry for the delay in updating.

Originally Posted by armagebedar
A good start to your report, SFO777. Catering ex-Japan has always been better than that from outstations, both on JAL and ANA, and regardless of class. However, like you I have noted an overall downward slide in quality (more so with ANA than JAL), unfortunately.
Thanks armagebedar and your perspective on what's happening with JAL and ANA. That's a shame.

Originally Posted by UAL250
This will be another great one! Great start already, SFO777. Looking forward to the rest.
Thanks very much UAL250.

Originally Posted by BRITINJAPAN3
Welcome back SFO, losudy weather in Japan , Seoul will be better.
BEDD, hmm, sometimes having things explanied just doesnt help, It seems not to be strange in Japanese, after 15 years I just let it slide, but maybe you need " a subtle reminder you have a flat bed " we wre all getting older !!
LOL. Thanks BRITINJAPAN3. Our China weather was been on the cool side but actually perfect for sightseeing. I'd rather wear a jacket vs. sweltering in heat.

Originally Posted by HMPS
SFO777 Great start....realistic report...I will make sur never to blow my miles on JAL F !
Originally Posted by enviroian
Thanks for the report! That food looks pretty miserable. I was thinking of blowing some AA miles on a JL J award ticket to TYO but it doesn't appear to be anything above and/or beyond AA's J product.
Thank you HMPS and enviroian. I think I'd seriously consider AA. The seat, IFE and even food would likely be better.

Originally Posted by txflyer77
Yikes. Two years ago JL had the best catering of any carrier I'd yet flown in F (LH, CX, SQ, EK, TG).
Thanks txflyer. I would also agree that it JL catering, even the western option, was superb. It was JL's inflight service that kept them higher on my overall F rankings.

Originally Posted by krazykanuck
But... all the bloggers tell me all I need for lounge access is a CSR and its Priority Pass! Makes me wonder how long certain lounges like the Korean LAX one will put up with the crowds and probably crappy atmosphere all the guests are creating and just opt out of PP. Good start to the report. I'm going to Beijing in February for the first time, so curious to see that portion. That JAL F meal looks straight up bizarre, and worse than the ANA J meal I had a few months back ex-USA.
Thank you krazykanuck. So it's PP that is likely causing that line and the inevitable crowding. And that line was not just a temporary. It was that long the entire half hour we were in the QF lounge. Can't imagine what the place looked like inside.

Originally Posted by FlightNurse
At many of the PP lounges there are signs that say they PP members might not have access during certain time of the day. Amex is making changes to the PLT cards and access to the Centurion lounges.
Indeed. I've seen AS restrict access at times at LAX.

Originally Posted by offerendum
One phrase I read again and again: not very good. Shame.......See how Korean will perform
Thanks offerendum.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 6:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP Marriott Ambassador
Great TR I'm hooked! Hope you have a great trip!
Old Oct 19, 2017, 1:11 pm

Programs: AA MM, AA EXP; OW Emerald, EK silver
Another great trip report! However, one request, when traveling with Mrs SFO could you also show us the female amenities kit and not just yours. Just a thought!
Old Oct 19, 2017, 2:40 pm

SFO777, looking forward to the Chengdu and Xian updates. Your brief mention of the cycle around the city walls brought back lovely memories of a trip back in 2007.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.