Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Fiji, NZ & French Polynesia via Fiji Airways, Air NZ & Air Tahiti Nui Business Class

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Fiji, NZ & French Polynesia via Fiji Airways, Air NZ & Air Tahiti Nui Business Class

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2017, 8:05 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, IHG Gold, HH Silver
Great finish to your report! Wow, sorry to hear about your poor airport experience in the lounge - how poor!

Air Tahiti Nui looks like a good airline, but upon reading your report, I'm surprised by a few of the things they lack for an international business class service.

Looking forward to your next report!
Old Oct 4, 2017, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Okay, okay... so you had to fly there Business Class.

The report was totally First Class though.

^^^^^
Old Oct 8, 2017, 9:58 am
Original Poster

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by 757
Great finish to your report! Wow, sorry to hear about your poor airport experience in the lounge - how poor!

Air Tahiti Nui looks like a good airline, but upon reading your report, I'm surprised by a few of the things they lack for an international business class service.

Looking forward to your next report!
Thanks for the continued readership 757. Easter Island is coming up! We leave today.

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
Okay, okay... so you had to fly there Business Class.

The report was totally First Class though.

^^^^^
Thanks for your support Seat 2A!! Hope you are still traveling in style. ^
Old Oct 8, 2017, 10:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
United Club
Los Angeles International Airport
Terminal 7

Since there were no good connection options with reward seats available on One World from Tahiti to Vancouver, Canada, we had a nine hour connecting layover in Los Angeles. I thought about ending our award ticket in Los Angeles and paying for a seat to Vancouver on Air Canada or United, but the business class fares were over $500 each. I guess we’ll stick with finding that free award segment.

We ended up having a 9 hour layover arriving at 11 AM and departing in the early evening at 8 PM on the last American Airlines flight. Since American Airlines doesn’t offer business lounge access for international flights to Canada or Latin America under 5 hours, we were a little bit stuck and had to find something to do. At the time of our visit, the AAdmirals Club was also not selling day passes due to it’s renovation.

Another side story. After spending the day in the sun, and the muggy and rainy transit from Bora Bora to Papeete, we were both busting for a shower on arrival in Los Angeles. I can’t speak for MrsWT73 but I sure needed one! We tried and failed to get into the LAX Terminal Four AAdmirals Club with our Air Tahiti Nui International Business Class boarding pass. American has a rule that doesn’t allow lounge access for flights to Canada or the Carribean unless the flight is over 5 hours in length, or you are connecting from a One World carrier. Air Tahiti Nui is not a One World partner but is an Aadvantage partner. I tried to tell them it was an American Airlines international business class ticket but they won’t budge, or make an exception on our behalf. We tried as the Aadmirals Club had showers, which we needed, but we were ultimately shut out. I know that rules are rules, but overall, the Star Alliance Lounge Access Rules are much more relaxed for us Canadians; allowing access regardless of destination for the most part. We went over to the TBIT terminal for lunch, ended up eating at the Shepard and the Tavern. Thankfully, I remembered that I had gotten two United Club one day passes with my Hyatt Diamond package last year and they were expiring at the end of June 2017 so what a perfect time to use them.

We also found our Air Tahiti Nui plane being re-loaded for its onward trip to Paris Charles de Gaulle.

After lunch, we took the long zig zagged walk over to the United Club in Terminal 7. It had just opened December 2016 and I had get to take a look. As mentioned, the access was granted by the Hyatt Diamond United Club one day passes (which were expiring in 10 days time!). This guy is using some free wi-fi presumably...

The lobby is on the lower level, followed by an escalator up to the top of the 3rd floor. Thankfully, no elevators!

At the top of the stairs, there was another series of connection or re-booking desks. It was totally empty on our visit.

Heading into the lounge: Wow – United has upped their game in the United Clubs. This place was far better than the old United Club. It was bright and airy – they must have taken over a third level of the Terminal 7 as there were windows on all sides. During our 5 hour visit, there was always capacity and places to sit.

There were plenty of desk spaces for working professionals.

There was a much fancier bar than the old bars typically found in the United Clubs.

There was also a pleasant cool outdoor space which was actually comfortable to be in (not too hot temperature wise).

There were also great views, including this one of a United Boeing 787. We also saw our Air Tahiti Nui flight taxing for take off to Paris about 3 hours behind it’s schedule. My gosh that would have been a long flight doing those back to back.

Unfortunately, we didn’t get one of these transfer's to our next flight.

The food offerings have also been upgraded. The cereal silos have been vanquished to never never land. I have to report that the cheese cubes are still around but the individually wrapped Tillamook cheese are no more.

The drinks were served in proper stemware and the gin and tonics that I had were in actual glassware!! I don’t know why this was so astonishing – but it was for United.

This was actually a club that I would spend some time in and made for a comfortable layover. It has a nice and bright location with an outdoor space that makes for great seating options. Unfortunately, there are no showers at this location, which was the only draw back. MrsWT73 said “we should have come here sooner!” I can’t say that I would have ever heard that of a United Club a few years ago!!
nequine likes this.
Old Oct 8, 2017, 11:36 am

Programs: BA Bronze, Emirates Silver, Virgin Silver, Marriott Titanium
I hope after all that, you got a shower!!
Old Oct 20, 2017, 9:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nequine
I hope after all that, you got a shower!!
Ha Ha nequine. A longish trip with no shower- at least not until the end of the next segment.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 10:06 pm
Original Poster

American Airlines
Compass Airlines Operated as American Eagle
First Class (U)
LAX-YVR (Los Angeles – Vancouver International Airport)
AA 1723
June 20, 2017
Booked: Embrauer RJ 175
Flown: Airbus 319
Departure: 7:50 PM
Arrival: 10:40 PM

We headed for the gate at about T-75. We were over in Terminal 7 and we wanted to stop to get some duty free.

We didn’t have a boarding group on our boarding cards issued by Air Tahiti Nui so we just boarded with Group 1-2 since American today didn’t call what the groups were – just the numbers on their own. A short upgrade list tonight; I guess Vancouver on the last weeknight flight of the day isn’t too popular with elites.

On board, we settled into the smallest First class cabin I’ve been since our Inter Island Flight on Hawaiian Airlines. We had two rows of First class in a 2-2 configuration, for a total of 8 first class seats. I guess that's one way of getting rid of top tier complimentary domestic upgrades; shrink the cabin to non-existence.

An open bar pre - departure beverage was offered. Today it was a continuation of Gin and Tonics from the United Club Lounge in a plastic cup with lime.

We were quite delayed in departing the LAX rush hour and it was over 1 hour on the ground before we even got clearance for take off. We had an apologetic cabin address about it.

Today’s service started with warmed nuts and a pre-supper drink. I went with white wine (unnamed and unidentified).

It was followed by chicken with quinoa, along with a terrific salad with oil and vinegar dressing After all that time in Tahiti, it was great to actually get some greens. A lot more generous than the usual Alaska meal, but not as tasty or exotic as our recent Delta First Class meals.

It was followed by a warmed chocolate chip cookie on a Coke Napkin. The presentation wasn’t the best, but the cookie was great.

There were movies available via the American Airlines App.

Along with internet available for $10.

The flight itself was mostly uneventful. We eventually landed in Vancouver without any delays and parked at Gate E84.

Despite having a seven hour connection in Los Angeles, American lost my bag or simply decided to leave it off the plane due to weight as it never made it to Vancouver. I last saw it when I placed it on the connections conveyor belt at the Tom Bradley International Terminal connections desk. MrsWT73’ bag on the other hand arrived safely.

Despite assurances from the American Airlines app that my bags were in Vancouver, it turns out they were not.

It took about 72 hours before I was reunited with it, attributed mostly to slack organization on the part of the organizations of ground agents in Vancouver. The bag was flown up the next day but somehow lost in YVR until it was put into a taxi after the third night after I telephone hassled them. Funny how two can be side by each on the conveyor belts in Los Angeles and one makes it and the other one doesn’t. This has been the fourth bag lost between us in 5 years. It assured me that I’m doing the right thing by continuing to carry on as a primary bag, with secondary stuff in checked bags!! A reasonable flight except for the loss of the bag situation, which was handled about to be as expected; poorly. =)
Old Oct 20, 2017, 10:13 pm
Original Poster

Conclusion:

In closing, I enjoyed the trip to French Polynesia. Although admittedly, I’ve enjoyed our trips to the Maldives and other beach resorts around South East Asia much much more. French Polynesia didn’t have the same wow factor that the Maldives had- and being at similar price points, at times for average accommodation in French Polynesia, it just didn’t make sense to me as the value proposition wasn’t there. Fiji was a nice bonus to visit on a stopover, although I don’t know if I would make another trip just to see it. I sure enjoyed their friendly smiles.

Hope you enjoyed following along on this trip report. Thanks for reading.

Coming up: Kaanapali, Maui, USA via Alaska Airlines with my son.
roadwarrier and bitterproffit like this.
Old Oct 22, 2017, 2:01 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, Emirates Silver, Virgin Silver, Marriott Titanium
Thanks for a fantastic TR from you, I have enjoyed very much reading it.

Lost luggage sucks although if its got to happen, better on the way home than on the way out as we've suffered twice!
Old Oct 23, 2017, 1:02 pm

Outstanding trip report! I stayed at the Meridien in May of this year and our thoughts are aligned. Interestingly we had no issue eating at the pool, so I'm not sure what that was all about. The property is tired and needs a good remodel to get it up to par. I would pick the Intercontinental going forward.
Old Nov 4, 2017, 10:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nequine
Thanks for a fantastic TR from you, I have enjoyed very much reading it.

Lost luggage sucks although if its got to happen, better on the way home than on the way out as we've suffered twice!
Thanks nequine. Lost luggage is always better on the way home!!

Originally Posted by brodielayne
Outstanding trip report! I stayed at the Meridien in May of this year and our thoughts are aligned. Interestingly we had no issue eating at the pool, so I'm not sure what that was all about. The property is tired and needs a good remodel to get it up to par. I would pick the Intercontinental going forward.
It interesting that we had similar experiences at the Le Meridien Tahiti brodielayne. It's a bit of an odd property that seems to be filling a gap between luxury and budget. If it weren't for the SPG points, I'd probably stay somewhere else, although I don't know if all it's other guests feel the same way.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.