Six Weeks Less One Day Tour of Duty 22nd June 2017 to 1st August 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2017, 2:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards; AAdvantage; Alaska Mileage Plan; Wyndham Rewards; Choice Hotels

Part I: The Flights Out
22nd June

After a spell at home it was time to hit the road again. I looked at trip and flight options and settled on what I considered to be the best option and booked an air ticket to DTW. When the time came I got transport to SNA and checked bags and paid the fee. The bags weighed 44.4 and 37.9lbs. I cleared security after a queue and opted out and was patted down. Time from beginning check in to clear of security was 32 minutes.

American #2389 SNA-DFW B-737-800 Group 6
Seat 26A Cruising altitude 37,000 feet Estimated flying time not given, actual 2:36
Depart: Gate 6 Scheduled 11h50, actual 11h55 Taxi: 7 minutes
Arrive: Gate C37 Scheduled 16h53, actual 16h56 Taxi/Hold: 17 minutes

We boarded via jetway. The plane was full or nearly full. A delay was announced due to other aircraft blocking us in. Pushback was 5 minutes late followed by takeoff to the west. We were in the clouds at 22sec and over the clouds at 51sec and I was not sure exactly when we made landfall due to cloud cover below.

At 0:05 the clouds broke and I saw Rancho Santa Margarita. At 0:07 we crossed the Santa Ana Mountains then I saw Lake Elsinore followed by Murrieta and the south split of Interstates 15 and 215. I saw Diamond Valley Lake then Hemet/San Jacinto area. At 0:11 I saw Lake Hemet and Mt. San Jacinto. Afterward I saw the Coachella Valley. I saw Coachella and Thermal. At 0:19 I saw Chiriaco Summit. At 0:21 I saw Desert Center as the seatbelt sign went off.

At 0:23 an announcement was made that an on time arrival was expected at DFW. We crossed the Colorado River north of Blythe, CA into Arizona airspace at 0:26. I got pretzels at 0:27. I saw Quartzsite, AZ and Interstate 10 at 0:28. I saw Buckeye, AZ and the junction of Interstate 10 and Arizona 85 at 0:39 and I saw the Phoenix Metro area at 0:41. I saw downtown Phoenix and PHX at 0:42. I saw the East Valley including but not limited to Mesa, AZ at 0:45. At 0:49 I got a cup of soda.

At 0:58 I saw Safford, AZ. At 1:05 clouds blocked the view and at 1:15 the clouds broke and I saw Elephant Butte Lake near Truth or Consequences, NM. I felt bumps and seatbelt sign went on at 1:16. We crossed the Rio Grande at 1:18 over Las Cruces, NM. At 1:20 I saw White Sands to the distance and the Organ Mountains closer in. At 1:23 we crossed US54 and at 1:36 I saw what may have been Roswell, NM to the distance. At 1:37 we crossed the Pecos River and US285 and at 1:43 I saw what may have been Hobbs, NM.

At 1:56 I saw what may have been Big Spring, TX and Interstate 20. At 1:59 I saw Colorado City, TX and we came abreast of Sweetwater, TX at 2:02. I saw Tye, TX at 2:05 then Dyess AFB and Abilene, TX at 2:06 then we turned southeast. I saw Clyde, TX at 2:08 and Cisco, TX at 2:12. I saw Eastland, TX at 2:14 and Ranger, TX at 2:15.

I felt descent begin south of Thurber, TX at 2:18. We crossed the Brazos River at 2:21 and clouds started to increase. We turned northeast at 2:22. I saw the junction of Interstate 20 and 820 at 2:24 heading northeast. We crossed Interstate 35W over Ft. Worth at 2:26 and clouds partially blocked the view below but I got a glimpse of downtown Ft. Worth. We turned due north at 2:29 then east and south and landed north to south and arrived at gate 3 minutes late. We deplaned via jetway.

During my layover I had evening rations at Salt Lick BBQ and boarding was underway when I reached the gate for the connecting flight.

American #1418 DFW-DTW B-737-800 Group 6
Seat 25F Cruising altitude 37,000 feet Estimated flying time 2:07, actual 2:24
Depart: Gate A15 Scheduled 18h25, actual 18h23 Taxi/Hold: 26 minutes
Arrive: Gate D32 Scheduled 22h06, actual 22h27 Taxi: 13 minutes
Reclaim checked bags 44-45 minutes after arrival

We boarded via jetway. My group was boarding when I reached the gate. The plane was nearly full. It was announced it was partly cloudy at DTW. Pushback was 2 minutes early. Takeoff was to the south. I saw Euless, TX and part of the Metroplex. We turned west then north at 0:03.

We crossed the Red River into Oklahoma airspace at 0:14 and at 0:27 we crossed Interstate 40 and I saw Henryetta, OK to the east and Eufaula Lake farther east. Cruise was announced and seatbelt sign went off at 0:29 40 miles south of Tulsa, OK. It was also announced we would be expected into DTW 10 minutes late at 22h20 and it was 72F/22C and a thunderstorm with low visibility at DTW.

I saw the Tulsa, OK area at 0:31 and downtown Tulsa and TUL at 0:33. I got cup of soda at 0:40. I dozed off for a bit. By 1:25 clouds blocked the view below. At 1:38 it was announced descent would begin in 10-15 minutes and the weather changed and it was light rain and mist and 72F at DTW. Seatbelt sign went on at 1:53 and I thought I felt descent begin at 1:56.

I felt descent for sure at 2:03 and we went into clouds at 2:12. We broke below clouds and crossed Interstate 94 at 2:15. I saw Interstate 275 at 2:17 and crossed Interstate 96 heading north at 2:18. We turned east then south and landed north to south on a wet runway and arrived at gate 21 minutes late. We deplaned via jetway.

There was a long wait for bags at baggage reclaim then I went to where hotel shuttles came and it was the best part of an hour before the hotel shuttle came due to police activity and congestion. I finally checked in and spent night in Romulus, MI.
Attached Images           

Last edited by Loose Cannon; Aug 17, 2017 at 4:04 am
Old Aug 17, 2017, 4:20 am

Love the photo's from above.

The tall building on the left looks familiar.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BOK_Tower

Old Aug 18, 2017, 12:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards; AAdvantage; Alaska Mileage Plan; Wyndham Rewards; Choice Hotels
Originally Posted by DanielW
Love the photo's from above.

The tall building on the left looks familiar.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BOK_Tower

Yes. That's downtown Tulsa, Oklahoma
Old Aug 18, 2017, 12:36 am
Original Poster

Muggy Midwest to Steamy South

Tour of Duty 22nd June 2017 to 1st August 2017
Part II: 23rd June to 26th June

I awoke Friday morning to find that the power went out during the night. There was rain but I did not hear any thunder. I was able to take a cold shower in the dark. At checkout I learned that other hotels in the area were also affected. I got transport to the shipper.

Trip: Northville, MI to Gonzales, LA 1,124 miles
Make: 2018 Kenworth
Model: Vacuum Truck
Transmission: Standard Straight 10-speed
Route: Interstate 96 to Michigan 14 to US23 to Interstate 475 to US24 to Interstate 469 to Interstate 69 to Interstate 465 to Interstate 70 to Interstate 57 to Interstate 55 to Interstate 220 to Interstate 20 to Interstate 55 to Interstate 10 to Louisiana 30
Maximum elevation: unknown
Highest diesel price USA: 2.399$ per gallon at Flying J New Haven, IN
Lowest diesel price USA: 2.299$ per gallon at Pilot La Place, LA

I got the truck did the safety inspection and got underway. I had some heavy rain in Michigan but not while driving. I made it to Indianapolis, IN where I spent the night.

Saturday there was fair weather and it was much more pleasant with temperatures in the mid to upper 70'sF. I stopped for fuel and midday rations in Marshall, IL. I saw fireflies in southern Illinois along the side of the road around dusk. I made it real late to Blytheville, AR where I spent the night.

Sunday I started late due to getting in late the night before. The weather was fair and it was warm and there was some discomfort but it was not as bad as it could have been. I saw fireflies in Winona, MS. I spent the night in Brookhaven, MS.

Monday it was warm and I continued toward my destination. I stopped in McComb, MS for midday rations then stopped in La Place, LA for my final fueling. Then I made it to my destination and I dropped off the truck. I booked hotel online and summoned transportation and the swamplands and bayous along Interstate 10 between La Place, LA and Kenner, LA were quite scenic. I spent the night across the street from the Louis Armstrong New Orleans International Airport in Kenner, LA
Attached Images         
Old Aug 18, 2017, 2:09 am
Original Poster

The Trip That Almost Wasn't

Part III: 27th June to 3rd July

I awoke on Tuesday morning and talked to dispatch about a trip from Point of Rocks, Wyoming to Merrillville, Indiana. That was an ideal trip but dispatch found that there were no rental cars out of DEN and SLC. Air tickets to SLC were almost double that to DEN and air tickets to RKS would have cost a small fortune. I almost gave up on this trip but learned that rental cars were available out of Loveland, CO. Dispatch duly booked a rental car from Loveland, CO to Rock Springs, WY, the closest viable city to Point of Rocks, WY. However enough time was burned up that it was no longer feasible to book my preferred itinerary: WN from MSY to DEN with a connection and decent layover at AUS. I was hoping to get a BBQ Beef Brisket Sandwich while laying over at AUS but it was not to be. Instead I had to book plan "B" that is an itinerary from MSY to DEN with a connection in HOU. I was not happy about that also because the weather forecast for HOU was worse as opposed to AUS.

I checked out and got the hotel airport shuttle to MSY. I'm glad I stayed where I did because I got to the airport very quickly. I had checked in online so I checked my bags at the skycap then cleared security after a short queue. I opted out and was patted down. Total time from beginning of check in to clear of security was about 20 minutes. I ended up having a little time to spare before boarding. The weather was overcast but dry at MSY.

Southwest#42 MSY-HOU B-737-300 Boarding Pass B43
Seat 22F Cruising altitude not announced. Estimated flying time not announced, actual 0:54
Depart: Gate B2 Scheduled 14h45, actual 14h48 Taxi/Hold: 26 minutes
Arrive: Gate 51 Scheduled 15h55, actual 16h12 Taxi: 3 minutes

We boarded via jetway. The plane was not totally full and there was an empty middle seat in my row. It was announced there would be no beverage service due to weather along the coast. The captain anounced he would try to stay north of the weather but he could not tell where all the bumps were. Pushback was 3 minutes late. There was a delay due to a minor maintenance issue after pushback. The problem was with an automatic start feature with one of the engines which is not required so a manual start was done.

Takeoff was to the east. I saw the Mississippi River then we turned south and west. During the turn I got a glimpse of downtown New Orleans. After the turn I saw Lake Pontchartrain farther out and the Mississippi River closer in. I saw the swampland between La Place and Kenner, LA. We went into clouds at 0:05 and over the first layer of clouds at 0:06. I felt some good jolts during climb. At 0:14 I saw what looked to be the Atchafalaya Basin through breaks in the clouds.

I felt the plane level off then begin descent at 0:31. Descent was announced at 0:32 and it was 82F with rain in the vicinity at HOU. At 0:37 there were breaks in the clouds and I saw the Gulf Coast. We made landfall at 0:40 either over the Bolivar Peninsula or Galveston Island then we went over Galveston Bay. I saw La Porte, TX and the Texas 146 Bridge between La Porte and Baytown at 0:44. We turned north then east at 0:49. We landed to the east southeast and arrived at gate 17 minutes late. We deplaned via jetway. It was raining at HOU as we arrived.

Southwest #3767 HOU-DEN B-737-800 Boarding Pass A10
Seat 4A Cruising altitude not announced Estimated flying time 1:58, actual 2:23
Depart: Gate 50 Scheduled 17h15, actual 17h27 Taxi: 8 minutes
Arrive: Gate C25 Scheduled 18h45, actual 19h03 Taxi: 5 minutes
Reclaim checked bags 33-35 minutes after arrival

We boarded via jetway. It quit raining and was clearing by the time we left. The plane was full with all 175 seats taken. It was announced it was 93F at DEN and would be bumpy leaving HOU then bumpy arriving at DEN. Pushback was 12 minutes late and takeoff was to the east southeast. We turned left to head northwest. I saw the Sam Houston Tollway/Beltway 8 then Interstate 610. I saw downtown Houston. We diverted around some storms and there were some bumps but not too bad. Drink orders were taken at 0:28. I got Wheat Thins and Peanuts at 0:31. Seatbelt sign went off at 0:34. I got cup of soda at 0:42. At 0:48 we crossed US287 west of Wichita Falls and I saw Electra and Vernon, TX.

At 0:50 we crossed the Red River into Oklahoma airspace. At 1:03 it was announced we were given a reroute to DEN that would add at least 20 minutes to the flying time and we were expecting to arrive at gate 25-30 minutes behind schedule. By that time we were back in Texas airspace over the Panhandle. I saw Interstate 40 and Groom, TX at 1:08. I saw Pampa, TX below and AMA and Amarillo, TX to the distance. At 1:48 I got cup of water over northern New Mexico. At 1:49 we turned north. At 1:55 it was announced the cabin would be cleaned up early in anticipation of turbulence going into DEN. We were over southern Colorado when I felt descent at 2:00.

Descent was announced and seatbelt sign went on at 2:02 and it was 92F with winds out of the northwest gusting to 25mph and partly cloudy at DEN. We crossed Interstate 25 over Castle Rock at 2:15. We landed south to north and arrived at gate 18 minutes late. We deplaned via jetway.

After I got my bags I got Green Ride Shuttle to Harmony Transit Centre in Fort Collins, CO. Then I got transport to motel and spent the night in Fort Collins, CO.

Wednesday I awoke and got ready and got transport to car rental in Loveland, CO. When I was picking up the rental car I learned why there was such a problem getting a car out of DEN or the Denver area. There was a major hailstorm that damaged all cars that were not parked in a garage and the rental car companies were swamped and the body shops were swamped with some having a waiting list of up to a year.

After I got the car I took some pictures of Loveland, CO then headed north on US287 and avoided Interstate 25. I worked my way through some stoplights in Loveland and Fort Collins before getting into more open territory. I took some pictures of Laramie, WY and experienced a brief thunderstorm in Laramie. Then I got on Interstate 80 and stopped and took pictures of downtown Rawlins, WY at sunset. Afterward I continued west on Interstate 80 to Rock Springs, WY where I spent the night.

Thursday I got fuel for the rental car then turned the car in and was picked up and taken to Point of Rocks where I got the truck after a wait. I loaded my gear and did the inspection and was good to go.

Trip: Point of Rocks, WY to Merrillville, IN 1,213 miles
Make: 2015 Freightliner
Route: Wyomng 337 to Interstate 80 to Interstate 65 to US30
Maximum elevation: 8,640 feet at Sherman Summit Interstate 80 10 miles east of Laramie, WY
Highest diesel price USA: 2.539$ per gallon at Pilot Cheyenne, WY
Lowest diesel price USA: 2.259$ per gallon at Cenex Underwood, IA and Citgo Minooka, IL

This truck was a bit dirty inside and outside and had some wear and tear due to previous use but there were no major issues. There was fair weather to start. I took on fuel in Cheyenne and saw lightning to the south but did not get rained on. I made it to Kimball, NE where I spent the night.

Friday I continued east and stopped in Sidney, NE and took a couple pictures of First Baptist Church pastored by Raymond Stokes (Bootwearer Preacher) then stopped at truckstop where I found that Trip Permits were no longer sold there. I phoned up a permit service and after giving information a Trip Permit was faxed to the truckstop. Then I stopped at Cabela's where I had midday rations. I continued east and after taking on fuel in North Platte I saw fireflies at rest area in Cozad, NE. I ended up spending the night in Grand Island, NE.

Saturday I continued east. The weather warmed up and there was some discomfort. I stopped at Petro in York, NE where I hit the buffet for late midday rations. I had Roast Beef and BBQ Pork Ribs. I stopped at Underwood, IA to take on fuel and I saw fireflies farther east. I stopped at the Flying J in Altoona, IA expecting to eat in the restaurant but found it was closed (It was formerly open 24/7). I ended up getting a sandwich and continued to Newton, IA where I spent the night.

Sunday I had a late start. It clouded up and there were a few drops of rain but nothing significant. I took on fuel in Victor, IA and continued east to Davenport, IA where I attended the evening service of Grace Fellowship Church. I pulled in right when the service was starting so I was not able to talk to one of the elders to get permission to take communion. Afterward there were evening rations which consisted of spaghetti. Afterward I continued east and spent the night in Morris, IL.

Monday I stopped in Minooka, IL to take on fuel. I did that because at the first of July a diesel tax increase of 31 cents a gallon became effective in Indiana. Indiana formerly had some of the lower prices for diesel but with the tax hike the prices were now on the higher end but not the very highest. However my fueling patterns were altered. I stopped in Gary, IN to top off the fuel tank as the truck was full of fuel when I got it. Then I continued to hotel in Merrillville, IN where I checked in for two nights and dropped off nearly all of my gear. After that I took the truck to the receiver and made an after hours drop as the place was closed for the long Independence Day weekend. After the after hours drop I walked back to hotel. There was a rain shower then I walked to Red Lobster where I had evening rations. I spent night in Merrillville, IN.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 2:22 am
Original Poster

WN42 MSY-HOU 27th June 2017

Some pictures I took during the flight
Attached Images           
Old Aug 18, 2017, 2:31 am
Original Poster

WN3767 HOU-DEN 27th June 2017

Some pictures I took during the flight
Attached Images           
Old Aug 18, 2017, 3:30 pm
Original Poster

Fourth of July Layover; Three "Trashy" Trips

Part IV: 4th July to 8th of July

I awoke on Tuesday the 4th of July. I did not really want to just sit and vegetate all day so I looked into transportation options. I got transport to the Metro Transit Centre in Gary, IN. While waiting for the next train I took some snapshots of downtown Gary, IN. Another item to cross off my bucket list! I purchased a ticket and took the South Shore Line to Millennium Station in downtown Chicago, IL. The train ride was only 7$ one way.

I walked around and took pictures of various attractions in Chicago including Millennium Park and "The Bean" as well as the end/beginning of Old Route 66 and various shots of various buildings. I had late midday rations at Potbelly's on Michigan Avenue. I then walked north and saw the Trump Tower and walked a segment of the Riverwalk along the Chicago River. Finally I made it to the John Hancock Tower and got a ticket and took the lift to the 94th floor which is called the 360 degrees Observation Deck. The cost was 20.50$ and there was almost no queue when I arrived. I took various daytime snapshots then sunset came and I took snapshots of that then I took various nighttime snapshots as well. That would have been enough for me to get my money's worth but then fireworks started going off all over the place. I saw fireworks going off as far as Indiana. The climax came when the fireworks show started at the Navy Pier. I got to look down to see the fireworks and I had a very good view of the Navy Pier fireworks.

On a previous visit to Chicago back in 2006 I went up the observation deck at the Sears Tower but this was much closer to the Navy Pier hence the very good of the fireworks. Afterward I headed back to the Millennium Station and caught the last South Shore Line train back to Gary then got ride to hotel and spent the night in Merrillville, IN.

Wednesday I awoke and got message from dispatch about a truck in Winamac, IN. I got transport to Winamac, IN and the 115$ ride took about an hour or so. I loaded my gear into the truck and did the inspection and I was good to go.

Trip: Winamac, IN to Adamsville, AL 592 miles
Make: 2018 Peterbilt
Model: Roll-off (garbage truck without the body)
Transmission: Automatic
Route: US35 to US31 to Interstate 465 to Interstate 65 to Interstate 265 to Interstate 64 to Interstate 264 to Interstate 65 to Tennessee 155 Briley Parkway to Interstate 40 to Interstate 440 to Interstate 65 to Interstate 22
Highest diesel price USA: 2.359$ per gallon at Good to Go Winamac, IN
Lowest diesel price USA: 2.299$ per gallon at Pilot Nashville, TN

I had to head to the nearest diesel station to get fuel. I got underway and stopped for evening rations in Kokomo, IN. There was a rain shower on US31 between Kokomo, IN and Indianapolis, IN. There was some construction in the Indianapolis area which delayed me some but I go through that and spent the night in Columbus, IN.

Thursday it was cloudy to start. I had to alter my route and refrain from staying on Interstate 65 to cross the Ohio River into Louisville, KY. Instead I took Interstate 265 west then Interstate 64 east to cross the Ohio River. Reason for that is the Interstate 65 bridge now has a toll and cash is not an option. Instead the toll is electronic. It is not feasible for me to have a transponder as each trip means a different truck so if I stayed on the 65 a photo would be taken of the licence plate then the company I contract with would receive a bill in the mail for the toll plus administrative charge sometime later. I got into rain south of Louisville. I got out of the rain by the time I got into Tennessee. I made it to Fultondale, AL where I spent the night.

Friday it was quite warm and muggy. I finished up that trip by making delivery in Adamsville, AL. I made delivery and switched my gear to the next truck that I was picking up at the same location. There was a minor issue where the seat would not stay up but it was fixed by a mechanic then after I did inspection I was good to go.

Trip: Adamsville, AL to Pelham, AL 35 miles
Make: 2016 Mack
Model: Roll-off (garbage truck without body)
Route: US78 to Finley Blvd. to Interstate 65
No Fuel purchased this trip

This was a short trip made longer by an accident where a semi truck pulling a stepdeck flatbed trailer lost the rear set of wheels and axles. That caused a traffic backup and added time to the trip but I made it to the receiver while it was still open. I located the next truck, switched my gear, did the inspection and went to the office about three minutes before closing time to get paperwork for both trips signed then I was good to go.

Trip: Pelham, AL to Cleveland, TN 191 miles
Make: 2016 Mack
Model: Garbage Truck
Route: Interstate 65 to Interstate 459 to Interstate 59 to Interstate 24 to Interstate 75 to US74
Diesel price USA: 2.299$ per gallon at Circle K Pelham, AL

I headed to a nearby truckstop where I got some supplies then I parked and went to Golden Rule BBQ for evening rations. I had a quarter chicken, dark meat, 3 St-Louis style BBQ Ribs, French Fries and Black Eyed Peas. I was surprised that place did not have any BBQ Beef. There were some clouds but the storms missed me. I stopped at another truckstop one exit north to take on fuel then got on the Interstate. I heard some beeps and there was some sort of alarm and I was unable to get a hold of the customer so I shut down earlier than intended and spent the night in Ashville, AL.

Saturday I got a hold of the customer who advised me on what to do to solve the alarm problem. Then I got underway. I went through the northwest corner of Georgia and made a pit stop there before proceeding. I entered Chattanooga, TN and stopped at motel where I offloaded nearly all my gear. During that time there was a thunderstorm which delayed me getting back on the road but the storm soon ended and I headed to the receiver and made delivery. Afterward I got transport back to Chattanooga, TN where I had evening rations and spent the night.
Attached Images           

Last edited by Loose Cannon; Aug 18, 2017 at 3:46 pm
Old Aug 19, 2017, 1:51 am
Original Poster

Longer Layover; New Airport; Stormy St-Louis; Southern Discomfort

Part V: 9th July to 15th July

I awoke on Sunday 9th of July and after I got cleaned up I got transport to Grace Reformed Baptist Church in Chattanooga, TN. Before I left I notified the front desk that the room would need new towels and the bed would need to be made. I made it to church in time for the message which was on Doctrines of Demons. I got a lift back to the motel afterwards and found that the room was not serviced yet. No big deal as I thought housekeeping had not gotten to my room yet. I tried to do laundry but found that the machine was broken. I got transport downtown and took some pictures and I took the Electric Shuttle and saw the area near the Aquarium. Afterward I took the Electric Shuttle back to the Chattanooga Choo Choo then got transport to Ruby Falls.

I was going to tour Ruby Falls then take in the view from Lookout Mountain but I realised there was not enough time to do both so I ended up getting a taxi to take me to the top of Lookout Mountain where I took pictures of views of Chattanooga then I went to Point Park where I saw Civil War Memorials and saw more views. I saw Interstate 24 and Interstate 59 as well as downtown Chattanooga and the Tennessee River. When I looked south I saw into northwest Georgia and possibly even northeast Alabama. Looking south, I got some good pictures of the sunset then I saw fireflies on my way out. I headed back to the motel and found that the room was still not serviced so I complained to the front desk and asked for more towels. The washer was fixed so I finally did laundry. I spent the night in Chattanooga, TN.

Monday I woke up and before I was ready to check out a call came in from Safety. Safety wanted to know where I was so I answered and I was informed I was selected for random alcohol and drug screening. A rental car was booked to get me to the clinic I was told I needed to go to in order to get the tests done. I got picked up and got the car and headed to the clinic where the alcohol test was done first and I blew a 0.00 then the drug test was done after someone from the clinic confirmed some details with Safety about payment. Some trips disappeared on me while I was having the test. I finally settled on a trip from Independence, KS to St-Louis, MO as I wanted to visit the office in North Kansas City to take care of some business so an air ticket was booked the following day from CHA to MCI via CLT and a rental car was booked from MCI to Independence, KS. I had some free time so I went to Cleveland, TN and took some pictures of downtown before heading back to Chattanooga. I paid 1.839$ per gallon for unleaded for the rental car and later I saw a sign at a place saying 1.699$ per gallon for unleaded. I had evening rations then spent night in Chattanooga, TN

Tuesday morning I arose bright and early. I turned in the car and was given a lift to CHA. I checked in and checked bags which weighed 45 and 40lbs. I paid checked bag fees. I got a boarding pass that did not have a seat assignment for the second leg. I cleared security after short wait and got TSA Precheck so I did not need to opt out. Total time from beginning of check in to clear of security was 18 minutes.

American Eagle #4124 CHA-CLT CRJ-200 Group 7
Seat 2A Cruising altitude 19,000 feet Estimated flying time 0:41, actual 0:45
Depart: Gate 1 Scheduled 09h19, actual 09h13 Taxi: 8 minutes
Arrive: Gate E5 Scheduled 10h38, actual 10h24 Taxi: 17 minutes

We boarded via jetway. The plane was mostly but not totally full. Pushback was 6 minutes early and we took off to the south southeast then made a reverse "U" turn and I saw Lookout Mountain during the turn followed by downtown Chattanooga and the Tennessee River as we started to head northeast. The window was scratched pretty bad which detracted some from the quality of pictures I took.

At 0:08 I got cup of soda and at 0:15 I thought I saw part of the Knoxville area. We turned more east or southeast. At 0:20 I got bag of pretzels. At 0:25 we crossed Interstate 26 and I saw the Appalachian Mountains. At 0:28 I felt descent begin. At 0:39 I saw Interstate 77, lakes and Mooresville, NC. We landed north to south and arrived at gate 14 minutes early. We deplaned via stairs.

I headed over to Concourse C and checked in at the desk and asked for a window seat but was told none was available and I was given a boarding pass with an aisle seat assignment.

American #1964 CLT-MCI A-319 Group 7
Seat 27D changed to 27F Cruising altitude 38,000 feet Estimated flying time 1:48, actual 1:49
Depart: Gate C15 Scheduled 11h35, actual 11h32 Taxi: 14 minutes
Arrive: Gate 84 Scheduled 13h05, actual 12h38 Taxi 2 minutes
Reclaim checked bags 20-23 minutes after arrival

We boarded via jetway. The plane was a new A-319 and all 128 seats were taken. A woman and her daughter were in my row and the daughter was assigned window seat but she said she did not like to sit by the window so I was asked if I would trade and I was happy to. So I got window seat after all. The outside of the plane was painted in the retro colours of the former airline PSA which operated exclusively within California at one time but after deregulation PSA started service to some other western states then was finally bought out by USAir which became USAirways which ultimately merged with American.

Pushback was 3 minutes early. After a queue we took off to the south then turned west. At 0:12 I saw the junction of US74 and Interstate 26 then at 0:15 I saw Hendersonville, NC, ASV then the Appalachian Mountains. At 0:17 I saw Asheville, NC to the distance. At 0:18 I saw Waynesville/Lake Junaluska, NC then more mountains.

Seatbelt sign went off at 0:28 but I was unsure of location. At 0:42 we were over the Nashville, TN area and I saw Interstate 65, Interstate 24 and part of the Briley Parkway. I did not see downtown Nashville. At 0:46 I got cup of soda and Biscoff. I thought I saw some other passengers getting cans of soda. We crossed the Tennessee River at 0:49 and I saw Land Between the Lakes to the north then we turned northwest. We crossed the Mississippi River at 0:58 and I felt descent begin at 1:13 and seatbelt sign went on at the same time. I felt some bumps.

Descent was announced at 1:22 and we crossed US50 at 1:35. We crossed Interstate 70 at 1:37 andI saw the Missouri River. We crossed Interstate 435 at 1:38 and Interstate 35 at 1:39. We made turns and landed north to south and arrived at gate 27 minutes early.

I got a ride to the office in North Kansas City and got the business I needed taken care of. Afterward it turned out there were no cars available at the local edition so I got ride back to MCI and got rental car and headed down toward Independence. I stopped in Olathe, KS and took pictures of downtown the took pictures of downtown Ottawa and afterward had evening rations at a buffet. I continued south and spent a warm and muggy night in Independence, KS.

Wednesday I went to the shipper, loaded the truck and got signed off then headed to filling station to fill the tank of the rental car and turned in the car then I was taken back to the shipper.

Trip: Independence, KS to St-Louis, MO 366 miles
Make: 2018 Freightliner
Model: Straight Box Truck
Route: US160 to US166 to Alt US69 to Kansas 66 to Missouri 66 to Interstate 44 to Kingshighway to Interstate 64
Maximum elevation: unknown but Springfield, MO is listed at 1,300 feet
Highest diesel USA: 2.399$ per gallon at Conoco Independence, KS
Lowest diesel USA: 2.359$ per gallon at Flying J Sullivan, MO

It was hot and uncomfortable and my glasses fogged up when I got out of the truck. I took two lane roads for awhile including part of Old Route 66 in Kansas and the Joplin, MO area. I stopped and took pictures of Baxter Springs and Galena, KS before entering Missouri. I got on the 44 near Carthage, MO. There were some delays due to construction but I made it to St-Robert, MO where I spent the night. I stopped in Villa Ridge, MO to get midday rations then headed toward St-Louis. As I pulled in to make delivery thunder started. I heard thunder and saw lightning and I learned if I was only an eighth of a mile south I would have gotten soaked. I made delivery and got no more than a few isolated drops of rain at delivery location. I got a ride to rental car and as we were en route we got dumped on and traffic was bad.

I got rental car in Creve Coeur, MO bound for Paris, TN. I stopped in Festus, MO and saw a rainbow. I stopped in Bloomingdale, MO and filmed lightning while it was light. I stopped in Perryville, MO and filmed lightning after dark. I had evening rations of toasted ravioli and St-Louis style (square) pizza. Then I headed south on Interstate 55 and the rain was no more than moderate. I made it to Cape Girardeau, MO where I saw a light show, got some downpours and spent the night.

Friday I took some pictures of Cape Girardeau then crossed the Mississippi into Illinois. I saw the confluence of the Mississippi and Ohio Rivers near Cairo, IL then had midday rations in Cairo, IL. I crossed the Ohio River into Kentucky and Dixie. I took narrow two-lane roads and made it to shipper in Cottage Grove, TN where I loaded my gear and staged the truck outside the gate. Then I headed to Paris where I got fuel at filling station then was given ride back to the truck.

Trip: Cottage Grove, TN to La Grange, KY 275 miles
Make: 2016 Kenworth
Transmission: Standard Straight-10
Route: Tennessee 140 to Tennessee 54 to US641 to Purchase Parkway to Interstate 24 to US62 to Interstate 69 to Western Kentucky Parkway to Interstate 65 to Interstate 264 to Interstate 71
Diesel price USA: 2.199$ per gallon at Casey's Paris, TN

I headed into Paris and took on fuel after determining that I would not hit the overhang. Then I headed to Steak n Shake where I had late evening rations. Afterward I took US641 and that road was narrow until I reached Murray, KY. Afterward I shut down in Eddyville, KY where I spent the night.

Saturday I continued toward my destination. I stopped in Lebanon Junction, KY then proceeded to the receiver in La Grange, KY where I did an an after hours drop. Then I got transport to hotel and spent the night in La Grange, KY.
Attached Images           

Last edited by Loose Cannon; Aug 19, 2017 at 2:23 am
Old Aug 19, 2017, 2:16 pm

Programs: AA
Do you stop at the Pilot in La Place?

When I find myself in that part of the world driving between Baton Rouge and New Orleans, I often stop there for a couple of corn dogs. Not sure what it is, but I can't resist.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 6:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by theshaun
Do you stop at the Pilot in La Place?

When I find myself in that part of the world driving between Baton Rouge and New Orleans, I often stop there for a couple of corn dogs. Not sure what it is, but I can't resist.
That's exactly where I stopped.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 11:31 am

Programs: AS MVP 75K, DL PM
Loose Cannon Do you mind me asking what you do for a living that takes you across all parts of these 50 states on a regular basis?
Old Sep 14, 2017, 2:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tennislover9
Loose Cannon Do you mind me asking what you do for a living that takes you across all parts of these 50 states on a regular basis?
I contract with a transporter company to deliver new and used trucks. I drive the truck to where it needs to go.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 3:50 pm
Original Poster

La Grange Layover; Double Diversion; Miserable Memphis

Part VI: 16th July to 20th July

I awoke Sunday the 16th of July. I hailed a ride to Grace Baptist Church for the morning service or what was left of it. Afterward I had a chat with the pastor and he gave me a small tour of the La Grange area and showed me where Queen Elizabeth II stayed when she was in the area to see the Kentucky Derby. La Grange, Kentucky is a town where railroad tracks go through the main street of downtown. I was dropped at my hotel then picked up and taken to evening service and returned to hotel so I spent Sunday night in La Grange, KY.

Monday I got ready and got word of a trip from La Grange, KY to Salisbury, MO. Salisbury, MO is north of Columbia and west of Moberly, MO. I got transport to the shipper, the same place where I dropped the previous truck and loaded my gear and did the safety inspection and I was good to go.

Trip: Original Itinerary La Grange, KY to Salisbury, MO 461 original paid miles
Farthest Point Reached: Foristell, MO
Diverted To: La Grange, KY
Farthest Point Reached: Leavenworth, IN
Diverted To: Memphis, TN 1,000 actual miles paid
Make: 2016 Peterbilt
Route: Interstate 71 to Interstate 64 to Interstate 70 to Interstate 70 to Interstate 64 to US231 to Audobon Parkway to Interstate 69 to Purchase Parkway to US51 to Interstate 155 to Interstate 55
Highest diesel price USA: 2.499$ per gallon at Marathon Georgetown, IN and Flying J West Memphis, AR
Lowest diesel price: 2.239$ per gallon at Mr. Fuel Foristell, MO and Double Nickel Hayti, MO

I headed out and found a lower priced fuel stop in Indiana where I took on fuel and I continued west on Interstate 64 and that night I crossed the Mississippi and transitioned to Interstate 70 west in St-Louis. I continued west to O'Fallon, MO where I spent the night.

Tuesday late morning a friend of mine met me and we visited for about 30 minutes before I fired up and headed to Foristell, MO where I took on fuel and had midday rations. During that time I received word from dispatch that the customer in Salisbury, MO canceled and for me to stand by for further instructions. Soon thereafter I was told to take the truck back to La Grange, KY and a new trip number was given for that move. After some paperwork I reversed course and headed east. I crossed the Mississippi back to the "dirty side" and continued through Illinois and ended up spending the night in Evansville, IN.

Wednesday I headed east on Interstate 64 in southern Indiana. I stopped in Leavenworth, IN to top off the DEF. Before I was able to leave the truckstop I got a message I was being diverted again as the truck was needed in Memphis, TN. I was only 58 miles shy of La Grange, KY when this happened. I was given a new drop location in Memphis, TN and was told to deliver by Friday. I saw some new territory as I headed west on Interstate 64 then south on US231 and I went around Owensboro, KY. I saw a nice sunset after I had evening rations at a truckstop near Owensboro, KY. I ended up spending the night in Calvert City, KY.

Thursday was hot and humid, icky and sticky. I detoured to get on the Purchase Parkway which is future Interstate 69 as there is lots of construction. I had midday rations at Zaxbys in Union City, TN. I talked to the customer and got instructions for an after hours drop. I dropped the truck at dusk and got a ride to hotel. Due to the heat and humidity I felt miserable. I spent the night in Memphis, TN.
Attached Images        

Last edited by Loose Cannon; Sep 14, 2017 at 3:56 pm
Old Sep 15, 2017, 1:33 am
Original Poster

Bus Trip Then Back to Back to Back Trips

Part VII: 21st July to 31st July

I awoke and accepted a dispatch from Little Rock to Kansas City. I had to figure out how to get from Memphis to Little Rock and opted for Greyhound. I purchased a bus ticket online after signing up for Greyhound's Road Rewards.

I had a lot of time before the bus so I was able to stash my gear and I walked over to Catfish Cabin for midday rations which consisted of two Chicken Tenders, two Catfish Fillets and Fries. Then after I got back to hotel I got ride to the bus depot. After a delay I checked in and checked my bags and got them tagged. Unlike the airlines I had to keep custody of my checked bags until I boarded the bus. I learned the bus was being delayed due to another bus with connecting passengers being delayed due to an accident.

Greyhound #1539 Memphis, TN to Little Rock, AR Boarding Position #14
Depart: Gate E Scheduled 16h40, actual 18h26
Arrive: Scheduled 19h15, actual 20h52

We finally boarded late and left Memphis 1h46min late. We made a brief stop in Forrest City, AR then on to Little Rock where we arrived 1h37min late. My seatmate had a connection in Dallas and she was concerned she might miss that connection due to the delay. After we arrived in Little Rock I claimed my checked bags bus side and then got transport to the hotel but not until we made a stop so I could take some nighttime pictures of Little Rock. I spent the night in Little Rock, AR.

Saturday it was hot and I felt icky and sticky. My ride was delayed getting to me but finally came and I made it to the shipper in the nick of time. I made the pickup and loaded my gear and did safety inspection but I did not turn the truck on until I had to as there was almost no fuel.

Trip: Little Rock, AR to Kansas City, MO 425 miles
Make: 2018 Peterbilt
Model: Dump Truck
Transmission: Standard 6-speed
Route: Arkansas 5 to Arkansas 300 to Interstate 430 to Interstate 40 to Interstate 49 to Interstate 435
Diesel Price USA: 2.129$ per gallon at Kum & Go Little Rock, AR

I headed to the nearest place with diesel where I thought the truck would fit which was not far and I took on fuel. The place I fueled up at was 30 to 40 cents per gallon cheaper than the major national truckstops. I stopped to take a nap just west of Little Rock then continued west and got off the Interstate in Ozark, AR. I had evening rations at Rivertowne BBQ and I took some pictures of that city before hitting the road again. I switched to Interstate 49 and went through a tunnel before shutting down and spending the night in Bentonville, AR.

Sunday I got cleaned up and headed to Cornerstone Baptist Church where I arrived in time to hear a message on Romans 2:1-10 "Principles of Judgment". Afterward I had midday rations at the church before proceeding to downtown Bentonville. I found a safe and legal place to park the truck and snuck in some sightseeing. I saw the town square and the original Walton 5-10 and took pictures before touring the Walmart Museum. The admission price can't be beat as it is free. I saw cloud cover encroaching but there was no rain. Afterward I headed north and I had a long talk on the phone with a friend who lives east of Joplin, MO. He was unable to see me as he was going to his son's birthday party. I stopped in Joplin, MO and took more pictures before resuming my journey north on Interstate 49.

I pulled into the Americas Best Value Inn on Blue Ridge Road and shut down and checked in for what turned out to be possibly my worst stay ever in a motel or hotel. The location was great and that attracted me. Nothing happened when I flipped the light switch upon entry. There was no chair to go with the desk. I found there were no towels, washcloths or bath mat and that was rectified by the front desk. However the air conditioning did not work in a meaningful way. I thought it might take some time but it cooled the room one whole degree Fahrenheit from 83F all the way down to 82F. I had a most uncomfortable night due to the temperature but that was the only non-smoking room available due to my late arrival as well as the fact that the property was being remodeled and some rooms were out of commission. I ended up taking some sheets and putting them on the floor by the air conditioner so I could try to stay cool. I spent a most unpleasant night in Kansas City, MO.

Monday I headed the rest of the way to delivery and after delivering the truck learned there was another one coming out of the same location. After a wait I was taken to the truck and loaded my gear and did the safety inspection.

Trip: Kansas City, MO to Cinnaminson, NJ 1,157 miles
Make: 2016 Freightliner
Model: Bucket Truck
Route: Interstate 435 to Interstate 70 to Missouri 370 to Interstate 270 to Interstate 70 to Interstate 465 to Interstate 70 to Interstate 76 to Interstate 276 to US13 to Pennsylvania 413 to Bristol-Burlington Bridge to New Jersey 413 to US130
Highest diesel price USA: 3.059$ per gallon at Sunoco Middletown, PA
Lowest diesel price USA: 2.179$ per gallon at Quik Trip Oak Grove and St-Peters, MO

I started the trip and took on fuel and ate in Oak Grove, MO. I ended up making it to Boonville, MO where I spent the night. Tuesday I continued east. It was hot and sticky. I made it as far as Terre Haute, IN where I spent the night. Wednesday I contined east and spent the night in Cambridge, OH.

Thursday I continued into Pennsylvania. Interstate 70 between Interstate 79 in Washington, PA and the Pennsylvania Turnpike in New Stanton, PA is a stretch of highway with unsafe onramps in my opinion. That is because with many if not most or all of onramps in that stretch the vehicle must come to a complete stop and then accelerate from a total stop and enter the Interstate with little or no merge space. That is dangerous in my opinion. Anyway I got on the Turnpike which I often try to avoid if possible but I took the Turnpike in the interest of time. Almost all of the Pennsylvania Turnpike now has a 70mph speed limit except stretches in and around tunnels as well as the far eastern portion around Philadelphia. I continued east and there were brief but heavy downpours and thunderstorms in Carlisle and Harrisburg, PA. It cleared up by the time I stopped at the Service Plaza in Middletown, PA for my final fueling. I made it to Exton, PA where I spent the night.

Friday my smartphone routed me around downtown Philadelphia and I used the Bristol-Burlington Bridge to cross the Delaware River into New Jersey. I finished up the delivery and was told there was no trip available but shortly thereafter I was told there was another truck at the same location going to Carol Stream, Illinois.

I had a chat with one of the people at the shipper about the timeline of the upcoming trip then I loaded my gear into the truck and did the inspection and was signed off and I was good to go.

Trip: Cinnaminson, NJ to Carol Stream, IL 812 miles
Make: 2017 Freightliner
Model: Bucket Truck
Route: US130 to New Jersey 413 to Bristol-Burlington Bridge to Pennsylvania 413 to US13 to Interstate 276 to Interstate 476 to Interstate 80 to Interstate 294 to Interstate 88 to Interstate 355 to Illinois 64
Maximum elevation: 2,250 feet Interstate 80 10 miles west of Clearfield, PA
Highest diesel price USA: Sunoco Bloomsburg, PA
Lowest diesel price USA: 130 Truckstop Cinnaminson, NJ and Marathon
Holiday City, OH

I went to the nearest truckstop which was just a couple hundred meters from the shipper. I took on fuel and then went a short distance to Wawa in Delran, NJ where I took a break and got some supplies as well as a snack. I used the Bristol-Burlington Bridge to cross the Delaware River and this time there was a toll of 12$. I took part of the Northeast Extension of the Pennsylvania Turnpike and stopped at service plaza in Allentown for evening rations. I phoned up hotels in Danville, PA and was unable to get a room there but I reserved a room in Bloomsburg, PA. I saw some lightning to the distance and got some light to moderate rain but no major precipitation and I made it to Bloomsburg, PA where I spent the night.

Saturday I took on fuel at Sunoco and had midday rations at Sheetz before heading west on Interstate 80. I stopped and had late evening rations at Primaniti Bros before heading into Ohio. Interstate 80 was closed in the Youngstown area so I exited and took a detour. I spent the night in Austintown (near Youngstown), OH.

Sunday the weather was nice and I had a late start. There was a total of five construction zones on the Ohio Turnpike. I headed west and in northwest Ohio I exited the Turnpike and headed into Bryan, OH where I attended evening service of First Baptist Church. Afterward I took on fuel and headed back to the Turnpike which became the Indiana Toll Road. I got a first quick look at a new Service Plaza in Howe, IN before continuing to South Bend where I spent the night.

Monday the weather was fair. I had a late start. There was significant construction on Interstate 80/94 in and around Gary, IN. I made afternoon delivery shortly before closing time in Carol Stream, IL and booked a room in Elk Grove Village. I got a ride and checked into the hotel then I had evening rations at Hibachi Grill Buffet. I booked my flight home then spent the night in Elk Grove Village, IL.
Attached Images           

Last edited by Loose Cannon; Sep 15, 2017 at 1:47 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.