Reload this Page >

Hajj-My Journey of Forgiveness, Redemption and Rebirth

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hajj-My Journey of Forgiveness, Redemption and Rebirth

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2017, 4:38 pm

Thank you for taking the time and effort to post your TR. I enjoyed reading it and your photos were great. And, you are a cute couple!!
Old Jul 14, 2017, 4:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Great report! I'm actually going to be on the exact same EWR-ZRH-DXB connecting flights in a few months so that's a good preview. How did you like the LX Y seat compared to the UA Y seat? I'm not particularly looking forward to sleeping in both.... but the LX Y seat has always been nicer IMHO. (EWR-ZRH is o/n and then DXB-ZRH is o/n too despite going westward as it departs 2am...)
Old Jul 14, 2017, 5:05 pm

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
Thanks for posting. it is not often that us Westerners get an insight into what actually happens during the Hajj
Old Jul 14, 2017, 11:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United Mileage Plus, American AAdvantage, Hilton Honors, SPG
ExpatSomchai;halfcape; duchy;CodeAdam10; atsak; Madone59; Beltway2A

Thanks for all the kind words. Looking forward to posting lots more!
Old Jul 14, 2017, 11:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Smiley90
Great report! I'm actually going to be on the exact same EWR-ZRH-DXB connecting flights in a few months so that's a good preview. How did you like the LX Y seat compared to the UA Y seat? I'm not particularly looking forward to sleeping in both.... but the LX Y seat has always been nicer IMHO. (EWR-ZRH is o/n and then DXB-ZRH is o/n too despite going westward as it departs 2am...)
Comparing the seats strictly, I think the UA seats are a bit more comfortable. To me the LX seats are a bit firm but to be fair I had been sitting on airplane seats for about 10 hours before I sat in the LX seat so my butt may have already been a bit primed. Having Economy Plus legroom of course makes them a bit more comfortable.

Have a great trip!
Old Jul 14, 2017, 11:40 pm
Original Poster

Wa Alaykum Salaam. I've done Umrah five times but Hajj just seem so much more monumentous and frightening (I guess all the horror stories I heard as a child). In retrospect, I wish I could have enjoyed the lead up to actually leaving more but I guess it is all part of the process. Looking forward to going back one day soon insha-Allah and insha-Allah our Hajj will be accepted.

Originally Posted by SSZ
Assalam Alaikum Wa Rahmathullahi Wa Barakatuhu Hajji Idries, I enjoyed reading your trip report where you have documented your spiritual journey enlisting your fears and anxieties which one always experiences before Hajj. May Allah accept your and your wife's Hajj.
Old Jul 14, 2017, 11:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JDiver
Thank you so much for sharing your amazing Hajj journey, twindocstravel! It gives me, a non-Muslim, a vicarious look at the Holy places, and of course it adds to my education and awareness of Islam.

As I occasionally visit a local masjid or community center, this gives me a new view of the Hajjis and Hajjahs I encounter there.

A 2008 study, "Estimating the Impact of the Hajj: Religion and Tolerance in Islam's Global Gathering", conducted in conjunction with Harvard University's John F. Kennedy School of Government, is also revealing as to the effect of Hajj on many. For those interested, the article has recently been released as an Acrobat Portable Document Format / PDF that can be downloaded here.

Malcolm X, an American civil rights activist, said of his Hajj:

"There were tens of thousands of pilgrims, from all over the world. They were of all colors, from blue-eyed blondes to black-skinned Africans. But we were all participating in the same ritual, displaying a spirit of unity and brotherhood that my experiences in America had led me to believe never could exist between the white and the non-white. America needs to understand Islam, because this is the one religion that erases from its society the race problem. You may be shocked by these words coming from me. But on this pilgrimage, what I have seen, and experienced, has forced me to rearrange much of my thought patterns previously held."

I'll look forward to reading how the Hajj affected you, and of course further trip reports.
Thanks for the kind words and for taking the time to read the TR. I guess I should have expected that Hajj would be life changing but I honestly was (and still am) surprised by how life changing it has been. It's funny you mentioned Malcolm X, his account of Hajj was one of the first positive ones I actually heard. Thanks for the link btw, very interesting read.
Old Jul 14, 2017, 11:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by blueferrari
Thanks for sharing. Earlier this year I did Umrah and of course it was much less crowded. And in February, it was much cooler.

What happened to your passport after you gave it in Medina? The bring it to Jeddah for you? I think I hold my passport all the time, but not sure for Hajj.

The official queue for Indonesian unfortunately is as long as 20 years for hajj in some province. Hope I can go there for hajj in my lifetime.
So, what I found out later was that the immigration officials in Medinah used the four digit code that our Hajj organized finally gave me, to link our passports to our group. Before we left Medinah for Mecca our organizers retrieved all of our passports but I guess they are not allowed to give them to you until you are literally going to the airport to fly home. I tried not to think about the whole "where is my passport?" question during Hajj because it just gave me anxiety. Turns out it was with us (or atleast our organizer) the entire time.

When I've made Umrah they have always let us keep our passports. I think they collected only for Hajj (not sure why).

Insha-Allah you will be able to make Hajj soon!
Old Jul 15, 2017, 8:02 am

An excellent report. May God accept your good deeds.
Old Jul 15, 2017, 9:31 am

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'till morning
Programs: SkyMiles
Thank you for your wonderful trip report and for sharing the rituals of the Hajj.
Old Jul 15, 2017, 9:34 am

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
Spectacular stuff. I'm married to an Episcopal priest, and over the years I've become somewhat of a student of world religions. It's fantastic to experience this through your eyes. I'll keep an eye out for your future trip reports.
Old Jul 15, 2017, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Thanks for posting an interesting and great read! As a catholic westerner it's nice to see and attempt to understand what Hajj is and what it means.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 6:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by east_of_the_sun
Thank you for your wonderful trip report and for sharing the rituals of the Hajj.
My pleasure!

Originally Posted by Uzair
An excellent report. May God accept your good deeds.
Thanks! God willing!!

Originally Posted by RandomBaritone
Spectacular stuff. I'm married to an Episcopal priest, and over the years I've become somewhat of a student of world religions. It's fantastic to experience this through your eyes. I'll keep an eye out for your future trip reports.
Thanks! Hoping to post a few more in the next few weeks.

Originally Posted by enviroian
Thanks for posting an interesting and great read! As a catholic westerner it's nice to see and attempt to understand what Hajj is and what it means.
Thanks for taking the time to read!
Old Jul 17, 2017, 8:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: Lowest level possible
The airport you were asking about? DTW.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 8:44 pm

Wonderful read! Thank you very much for posting and welcome to Flyertalk.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.