Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

3 for the price of 2? RTW Babymoon to Japan, Maldives, UK (JL/EY/LH J/F/Apartment)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

3 for the price of 2? RTW Babymoon to Japan, Maldives, UK (JL/EY/LH J/F/Apartment)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2017, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Your friend must have set a record for bringing back Japanese whiskey lol.

Love your TR and photos. Keep it coming!
Old Aug 25, 2017, 8:39 pm

"You have pictures of that Presidential suite posted anywhere? I'm sure they stepped things up when it transitioned from a plane-jane Hilton to a Conrad. Any notable stuffed animals there?"

I just realized that I only took a few pics. LOL

Last edited by brodielayne; Aug 25, 2017 at 8:53 pm
Old Aug 25, 2017, 8:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United Silver, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by jtav559
@chongl , was the Conrad Maldives all inclusive? Interested in that and how HHonors status factored into your stay.

BTW, pics look great! Feels like I am there. Keep it coming, great TR!
Thank you, jtav559. It was not all-inclusive. Being diamond covered breakfast since I booked on points, but in the dedicated hotel thread in the Hilton sub-forum, it sounds like breakfast is included if you pay out of pocket for the stay? Gold and diamond also get access to the afternoon tea everyday. I didn't expect the upgrade to the deluxe beach villa (plenty of other diamonds have reported no upgrades), but it was a very nice surprise.

Originally Posted by Aventine
Your friend must have set a record for bringing back Japanese whiskey lol.

Love your TR and photos. Keep it coming!
It was the only way to haul it back since I would have gotten the load confiscated upon entry to the Maldives. He declared them at customs and had to pay ~$30 in taxes total.

Working on the next post this weekend I hope. Thanks for reading, Aventine!

Originally Posted by brodielayne
"You have pictures of that Presidential suite posted anywhere? I'm sure they stepped things up when it transitioned from a plane-jane Hilton to a Conrad. Any notable stuffed animals there?"

I just realized that I only took a few pics. LOL

That room is unreal...you just set the bar too high for your return and will never come close to that experience. A blessing and a curse at the same time
brodielayne likes this.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 9:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by chongl
Congratulations Duke787! The short answer is we liked the Maldives more. Long answer below, if you feel like reading it

As dumb as it sounds, we went into it really hoping to dislike the Maldives. From CONUS, Bora Bora is a much closer flight, and we had originally decided on going there in 2016 because we made a guess it would be the better place, but boy were we wrong. What made Bora Bora stand out is the landscape/scenery with Mount Otemanu smack in the center of it all. Most of the resorts are on the motu surrounding the central island, so space is a little more limited. Whereas in the Maldives, each resort has their own private island, or islands (2 for guests and 1 for staff) in the case of the Conrad. The open space where you can wander is very expansive on Rangali and there are more restaurants with a seemingly larger selection. You feel as though the occupancy rate is about 30% with how infrequently you run into people (unless you're at the main pool). One could argue that the Intercontinental isn't at the quality/service standard of a Conrad, but all the staff were even more helpful, friendly, and seemed genuinely engaged with you at the latter. I know they converted the Hilton in Bora Bora to a Conrad, but I don't know how that has affected the service and hard product there. You'd still be limited by the resort size though.

Overall, the food, rooms, pool, size, and staff were superior in the Maldives. Bora Bora allows you to get a feel of the local life if you wanted (renting a scooter and riding the circumference of the central island was a great experience) and our resort had cultural immersion activities that taught you how to open coconuts, make hats/bags out of leaves, etc. Both are obviously fantastic destinations to experience, but the wife and I both looked at each other and agreed the Maldives were better within a few hours of arriving at the resort
Thanks for the detailed response! This is very helpful - it's nice to get an opinion from someone who has actually been to both since on their own both seem like incredible places. I have some time before I have to make a decision but combined with the relative ease in getting to the Maldives from the East Coast on points compared to Bora Bora (as long as AA still allows QR redemptions), I think the Maldives is now the early favorite.

Don't want to derail the thread any further - looking forward to the rest of the TR!
Old Aug 26, 2017, 12:47 am

If I am correct they have a restaurant under the ocean but it's very expensive?
Old Aug 26, 2017, 5:35 am

Another great TR, chongl. Love all the pics of Japan, a place I really want to see more of.

I'm really impressed by your love and dedication for fine Japanese whiskey too, making not one but two ~900 kilometre round trips to the distillery in Kyoto! Isn't the Nozomi Shinkansen the fastest way to get there though?

The Conrad in Maldives looks amazing, must have been a nice change of pace too.
Old Aug 26, 2017, 10:40 am

Thank you, jtav559. It was not all-inclusive. Being diamond covered breakfast since I booked on points, but in the dedicated hotel thread in the Hilton sub-forum, it sounds like breakfast is included if you pay out of pocket for the stay?
Yes. All cash stays include breakfast for two. Some really great pics, BTW.

Originally Posted by Bretteee
Yes. It's called Ithaa (pronounced 'itta'). It's the first and still the only truly underwater restaurant in the world. There is another similar restaurant in the Maldives but there's no water over the ceiling so it's more like an 'in-the-water-restaurant' rather than under-the-water. The link to Ithaa is here and a virtual tour here if you want to take a look. Lunch is $210++ and dinner is $325++ per person (that's $259 & $400 including taxes) and that's without drinks. So yes, not cheap.
Old Aug 27, 2017, 11:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: United Silver, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by Duke787
Thanks for the detailed response! This is very helpful - it's nice to get an opinion from someone who has actually been to both since on their own both seem like incredible places. I have some time before I have to make a decision but combined with the relative ease in getting to the Maldives from the East Coast on points compared to Bora Bora (as long as AA still allows QR redemptions), I think the Maldives is now the early favorite.

Don't want to derail the thread any further - looking forward to the rest of the TR!
No worries...hope to see a report from you when the time comes ^

Originally Posted by Bretteee
Yeah, it was $800+ for the two of us without drinks

Originally Posted by DanielW
Another great TR, chongl. Love all the pics of Japan, a place I really want to see more of.

I'm really impressed by your love and dedication for fine Japanese whiskey too, making not one but two ~900 kilometre round trips to the distillery in Kyoto! Isn't the Nozomi Shinkansen the fastest way to get there though?

The Conrad in Maldives looks amazing, must have been a nice change of pace too.
Thank you, DanielW. Definitely nothing as exciting or immersive as your trips though!

You are 100% correct that the Nozomi is slightly faster since it has fewer stops, but it isn't valid with the JR Rail pass. I think the Hikari is ~20 minutes slower, but there is no cost out of pocket once the JR pass has been purchased.

We were definitely glad to welcome the change of pace. Going from running all around the city to just sitting back on the beach helped us recharge.

Originally Posted by MaldivesFreak
Yes. All cash stays include breakfast for two. Some really great pics, BTW.

Yes. It's called Ithaa (pronounced 'itta'). It's the first and still the only truly underwater restaurant in the world. There is another similar restaurant in the Maldives but there's no water over the ceiling so it's more like an 'in-the-water-restaurant' rather than under-the-water. The link to Ithaa is here and a virtual tour here if you want to take a look. Lunch is $210++ and dinner is $325++ per person (that's $259 & $400 including taxes) and that's without drinks. So yes, not cheap.
Thanks for the clarification and your dedication in the Conrad Maldives thread, MaldivesFreak. Your knowledge definitely helped me as I was in the planning stages of the trip.
Old Aug 27, 2017, 7:54 pm

Programs: SQ Krisflyer, Hilton Gold, Best Western Diamond, SPG Gold
may i know which dates were u in Maldives? The weather looks fabulous. it should be shoulder season now right?
Old Aug 28, 2017, 3:59 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Fantastic Maldives photos! Now, bring on the flights home
Old Aug 28, 2017, 5:02 am

Originally Posted by kt85
may i know which dates were u in Maldives? The weather looks fabulous. it should be shoulder season now right?
Indeed. Shoulder season is this month and next.

Originally Posted by Madone59
Fantastic Maldives photos!
+1. Have been perusing the Flickr account. So many to go through it's a blessing in disguise.

And glad I could help out in your planning, chongl. I know how involved it can get at a resort of that size with so many choices and so little time to do everything, eat everywhere and whatnot. I went a bit overboard and spent 200-300 hours planning my first trip there.

Last edited by MaldivesFreak; Aug 28, 2017 at 8:47 am
Old Aug 28, 2017, 10:11 pm
Original Poster

Second day we did breakfast at Atoll again and hung out in the room and on the beach. The views in the morning aren't as stunning as the evening, but am I really going to complain in a tropical paradise?

Sunset grill in the foreground and Ithaa entrance further back

Going by the main pool

Back at room, taking in the views until it was time to relocate.

Mr. Crabs

It wasn't until 11AM that we were scheduled to change rooms. We called reception once we were packed and ready to go. Our bags got picked up and we had a separate ride over to the other island, where deluxe villa 348 awaited us. This was a villa at the end of a "branch" and boasted amazing, unobstructed views across the horizon. The water current is a bit strong, but signs are posted to advise caution against swimming for those less capable or experienced. I'll let the pictures do the talking.

Stepping inside

Bathroom

The deck with a hot tub

We booked a spa day in the afternoon followed by Ithaa underwater restaurant for dinner. No pictures of the spa, but it was a good 1+ hours of relaxation. We even got a bonus 15 minutes over the allotted time as diamond members, so it was another awesome bonus. With time to kill, we consolidated our score of chocolate from Japan

...followed by some R&R before dinner. We got dressed and went early since we received approval to take pictures prior to official opening. This gave us a chance to avoid the crowds and we could take our time snapping away, but first, a portrait on the deck

We approached Ithaa a few minutes prior to 6 (reservation was at 6:30).

A table filled with water and actual floating leaves

A spiral staircase takes you downstairs and under the water

As dinner service begins, there is somebody up top that does a feeding to create more of a frenzy. We noted this a few days later and it made sense why so many fish suddenly swarmed into the area.

360* view if you click on it

A glass

The first course was caviar, served with dill sour cream and lemongrass blinis. The wife had a special menu for her 'condition' and started with fruit caviar

Dory's cousin

Amuse bouche was a foie gras and truffle dumpling accompanied with cucumber and green grape consomme. The wife had a mushroom dumpling

The appetizer was a prawn tartare served with plantain chips and quail egg gravlax

Hoisin duck for the wife with home made cucumber pickle and ceramal jus

Entree of reef lobster stuffed calamarata pasta with tomato and lemongrass veloute

Green apple and ginger sorbet cleanser

After sunset, the setting is more private and intimate

For the main, we both opted for the sous vide wagyu beef tenderloin, served with yabby ragout, smoked garlic and celery root puree, charcoaled kohlrabi and black garlic gnocchi

Dessert was Bolivian cru sauvage chocolate and kaffir lime panna cotta with coconut sorbet and aerated chocolate

All of the food was delicious. The wagyu beef was comparatively tough after having some top tier steak at Dons de la Nature just a week prior and the prawn tartare was slightly too salty, but that was the only thing off about the meal. Considering that it's north of $400 per person, and more than any 3-Michelin star restaurant we've been to, it was hard to swallow (no pun intended). The redeeming factor was that we were one of 2 parties there for dinner. It was relatively quiet and had none of the Chinese mainlander infestation that is a common complaint in the Conrad Maldives thread and on TripAdvisor reviews. We're glad we went for it...didn't want any regrets flying halfway around the world to skimp on something that turned out to be a special experience.

Next: more sunsets and more food!
Old Aug 28, 2017, 10:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kt85
July 9th through the 15th. I don't think we had any rain, although I did see some in the distance.

Originally Posted by Madone59
Fantastic Maldives photos! Now, bring on the flights home
Working on it! A few more posts before I get on to London via EY Apartment. Did you see JohnRain's offer to us about Vettel gear? I wonder if the enthusiasm has worn off after #44's win this weekend
Old Aug 28, 2017, 11:11 pm

The redeeming factor was that we were one of 2 parties there for dinner. It was relatively quiet and had none of the Chinese mainlander infestation.....
July 9th through the 15th.
That's indeed a miracle! They have their school holidays at that time. Wish I had that kinda luck both times.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 5:46 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Working on it! A few more posts before I get on to London via EY Apartment. Did you see JohnRain's offer to us about Vettel gear? I wonder if the enthusiasm has worn off after #44 's win this weekend
Trust me JohnRain's loathing for Lewis is unwavering .....he and I have been texting a bit after Spa and he ain't happy. Don't accept his Vettel gear, it's a trap. You and I need to stick together for #44 !!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.