Wiki Posts
Search

Bangkok and Jakarta via Oman Air and Thai Lion

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2017, 9:43 am
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Bangkok and Jakarta via Oman Air and Thai Lion

Once again I went to visit South East Asia. Since I went there first time in 2014 it's been my favorite place. This time I've booked flights from Milan to Bangkok on Oman Air. I found those 1000 Euro business class tickets thanks to FlyerTalk back in December.
I had a choice of starting point at LHR, ZRH, MUC, CDG or MXP. However, the cheapest positioning flights from DC were to Milan.
Got them on United/Lufthansa for under $500. After this 12 days journey, I've gained 6 lbs. It was all worth it

My itinerary included 4-day side trip to Jakarta on Thai Lion. Flights to CGK were $100 per person, including 20kg of baggage. At the airport I've purchased Lion Fast service for $10 per person per leg. Which turned out to be better than Lufthansa's first class service. I'm not kidding.

Here is the itinerary:

IAD-FRA-MXP
MXP-MCT-BKK
DMK-CGK-DMK
BKK-MCT-MXP
MXP-EWR-DCA

April 14 2017
IAD - FRA
Lufthansa
LH419
Boeing 747-8
D-ABYN
Seat 38C
Actual flying time 7:00hrs

My flight was departing at 6pm from Dulles airport. I was dropped off at the airport around 3pm. Few minutes later I was wandering around Terminal B. My choice for lunch was the Italian restaurant. After having some food I still had some time to kill. I've walked all the way to Terminal A and then back to the other end of Terminal B. By coincidence, I've run into a friend who was at one of the gates waiting for his wife.
Then the boarding time came. I was in the second group. The flight was absolutely full.

Right on time pushed back from the gate and headed towards runway 30 for departure.

About hour after the take off the drink service started followed by the food service. My choice was chicken with rice.

Couple of hours later there was a commotion few rows behind me. Apparently there was sick passenger. They've moved him to the mid galley and did some work on him (first AID kit, air, etc.). Pilot came to assess the situation and to find out if we have to divert. By looking at the map, the nearest airport was St. Johns in Nova Scotia. Thankfully the passenger was ok and the flight continued.
One hour before the landing light breakfast was served. I think yogurt and fruits. I only had cup of coffee.

We've landed at cloudy Frankfurt almost 1 hour ahead of the schedule.

Quick queue to passport control and I was on my way looking for the gate to catch my next flight.

April 15 2017
FRA - MXP
Lufthansa
LH248
Airbus A319-100
D-AILH
Seat 20A
Actual flying time 58 minutes

Boarding was called on time, and everybody went downstairs to the bus. The load on this flight was pretty low, so everybody had a space on one bus.

The inflight service consisted of cheese sandwich and a drink.

Since there were not many people on this flight, it took only few minutes to deplane. Short walk to the baggage belt and the waiting started.
Men's bathroom was temporarily closed because they were cleaning it. However, shortly after they've reopen it. When I've walked to the bathroom I almost puked from the smell. I thought that they have just cleaned it. It smelled like somebody was pissing on the walls for months.
The smell was terrible. I've never been to an airport bathroom that smelled so bad.

After the short encounter with the bathroom, I went back to the baggage hall to get some fresh air. My bag arrived minutes later.
Headed out to Sheraton Malpensa where I had day room reserved for 80 Euros. On the way I've stopped in many coffee places to pick up some food.

From there it was short walk to the hotel. At the check in I've asked for late check out. The normal day rates are 8am to 6pm. However, my flight was departing at 10pm so I've asked if I could stay till 7pm. My wish was granted.

I've stayed at this hotel back in 2010 when it was brand new. After all these years this hotel still looks like brand new.
Got comfy bed and welcome milk chocolate.
After quick shower I've set my alarm clock to 5pm and hit the bed. I was gone within minutes
Old Apr 30, 2017, 7:03 pm

Programs: QF gold, HH Diamond, VA plat, Aegean Gold
Looking forward to the report on the oman flights
Old May 1, 2017, 9:51 am

Looking forward to he rest of your report.
Old May 1, 2017, 4:53 pm
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

I will try to write as much as possible. Being off from work for almost 2 weeks gave me huge backlog. I'll try to do as much as I can in the next few days (before my next trip to Europe).

April 15 2017
MXP - MCT
Oman Air
WY144
Airbus A330-300
A4O-DI
Seat 11A
Actual flying time 6:38hrs

After sleeping for almost 7 hours I felt good. Consumed one of the sandwiches purchased earlier at the airport, took shower and checked out by 7pm. Fully recharged I was ready for my next two flights.
When I got to the terminal, Oman Air check in counters were not open yet. However there was huge line for economy class desk. I was first person in line for business class desk. About 3 minutes later, Oman Air staff completed their meeting and they've open the flight.
Check in was quick and efficient. The nice lady gave me both boarding passes and two invitations to the lounges. One for MXP and one for MCT. Also, she said that I can use fast track security line at MXP.

Exactly 3 hours before the flight I headed out towards security. There was nobody else so I was on the other side in 2 minutes. Next step was immigration. EU line was huge, but Rest of The World was empty. Again, 2 minutes later I was on my way to the lounge.

Last time I flew out of Milan was back in 2010. That time I've used Lufthansa lounge, and I remember being very small, crowded and dark. I didn't expect much from this one. As I entered the lounge I was positively surprised. The lounge had lots of windows, was decent size and had some food and drinks on offer. I was given credentials to login to the lounge's internet, which was pretty fast.

View from the lounge.

I've picked my seats close to the window and did some plane spotting. I've checked my flight and was showing arrival delayed by 30 minutes, but departure was still on time.
I did the walk around the lounge to see what they had on offer. As I wasn't really hungry, I just grabbed some sweets and made myself a drink.

About 30 minutes before boarding time I went downstairs to the terminal to walk little bit and stretch the legs.
Then right before the boarding I went to bathroom and the stench of pee turned me around. What's up with bathrooms at Malpensa airport? All of them smell terrible.

Boarding started right on time and after people with disabilities they've called business class passengers. The load up front was about 50%. When I've walked on to the plane I was happy. I saw that this plane had new suites. Exchanged text with my FlyerTalk buddy who said that it looks like JAL suites.

(sorry about quality of some pictures, they were all taken with my cellphone)

I really like the remote control in the form of touch screen smart device. Much easier to navigate.
You can also have map on the remote and movie on the big screen.

The crew up front consisted of 3 Flight Attendants. One man speaking Arabic and two Eastern European ladies.

As soon as I got to my seat, I've got hot towel. Later another FA came with the ammenity kit and the menus.
I've looked at the Wine List, then quickly glanced at the food menu and I've got scared. I did not see any alcoholic drinks listed besides champagne and wines. I thought to myself, WTH I've got myself into? I'm not an alcoholic, but drinking two or more glasses of wine gives me heart burn. I need something stronger. But just in case, I had Thumbs on the standby

I was asked for my pre-flight drink choice. I had JW in the lounge so just asked for glass of water. Then another FA came with the box of dry dates and Arabic coffee. Very nice touch.

Another FA came and asked me for my meal choice and after departure drink. I've asked him if they have anything besides the wine. He confirmed that they have whiskey, vodka, gin and other spirits. I felt better

This is the choice that I had for my meals:

Appetiser

- Cream of mashroom soup
chive sour cream

- Seasonal salad
"chef's vinaigrette" or 1000 island dressing

- Traditional Arabic mezzeh
a selection of hot and cold appetisers

- Appetiser platter
thinly sliced cured beef, celeriac remoulade, gherkin fan, egg

Mains

- Baked fish fillet
citrus butter, braised fennel, tomato and black olive ragout, brown rice

- Omani hospitality, flavours from the sultanate
Omani style chicken saloona, turmeric and raisin rice, spicy roasted vegetables

- Poached fillet of beef
in a light beef broth crushed parsley potatoes, julienne of root vegetables

- Pan roasted potato gnocchi
caramelized pumpkin, braised red onion, sun-dried tomato julienne, chive feta crumble, light tomato sauce

Desert

Freshly sliced seasonal fruit

Gourmet ice cream selection

Chef's chocolate cake

Selected farmhouse cheese

So my choice was appetiser platter and Omani style chicken saloona. As I had sweets in the lounge, I've declined desert. For my drink I've asked for Scotch with little ice and little Coke.

Soon after we started taxiing to the runway for on time departure.

About 20 minutes into the flight cabin service started. My table was made and I've received Chivas '12 with some appetizers, which were really good.

At that point I was browsing the menus of inflight entertainment. I wasn't impressed with the selection.
They had random TV shows, but nothing in order. In Lufthansa, at least they have the entire season of TV show so you can watch it from episode 1 to 12. Here they had episode 8, 9 and 10. That's my biggest disappointment with Oman's IFE.
Movie selection was also the same as on my LH flight, so I had not many choices. I took out my iPad loaded with TV shows and movies.

My main course was nice. Chicken was tender and had lots of flavor. I saw FA taking 'baked fish fillet' to one of the passengers' and I kind of regretted not ordering it. It looked really good.

The dinner took a while to complete. Not because it was a lot of food, but because there was lack of organization in the galley. All 3 FA were preparing one plate at the time. It was easily 10-15 minutes between the plates.
They did good job with the meal presentation, but they could do few plates at the same time cutting the time in half.
After the meal I was asked if I would like another drink. Yes, please. The FA this time brought for me Jack Daniels with Coke. I'm not going to complain, but for her it was probably the same as Scotch.

Went to the bathroom and saw something that I haven't seen on any of my flights before. The toilet also becomes bidet.

On the way out I was asked by FA if I would like another whiskey. This time I pointed to Chivas bottle

Watched couple more shows and saw on the map city called Batman (somewhere over Turkey). I had to take a screen shot.

At some point I fell asleep and woke up about hour before landing. Flight Attendant asked if I would like to have a breakfast. Typical fruits, yogurt and some pastries.

As we approached Muscat airport, we've made several loops above it. After 20 minutes we started final descend.

Nice front camera view feature allows you to monitor the descend. I love it.

After smooth landing and short taxi to remote stand we have finally arrived. After 6.5 hours it was time to catch my next flight.
First bus took only business class passengers. We've arrived at terminal which reminded me of terminal at Amman Marka airport. Then I've realized that the new terminal is still under construction. I think they are planning on opening it at the end of this year. It's badly needed. All I could say was wow.

Last edited by bwiadca; May 2, 2017 at 2:43 pm Reason: Twisted menus from other flight. Put them back in proper order
Old May 2, 2017, 4:48 pm
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

April 16 2017
MCT - BKK
Oman Air
WY815
Boeing 787-9
A4O-SC
Seat 10a
Actual flying time 5:25hrs

When I stepped into the terminal it was like going back in time. Oman Air badly needs new terminal. I followed the signs for transit passengers until I hit tremendous lane somewhere in the middle of hallways. It turned out to be lane for security screening. Other people from my flight were wondering if there is separate lane for premium passengers.
We took our chance and walked along the walls until we saw first class and business class passengers only lane.
Security checks took two minutes. Then I emerged into duty free area. I've asked one of the airport staff where is the lounge and she pointed me to the door in the very end of duty free shop.

I gave them my lounge invitation and grabbed wifi password. I was informed that my flight will board from the lounge.

Walked into business center section of the lounge. Next you enter food area.
There is a huge table in the middle with a lot of different types of food. Against the wall on your left there was a L shaped table with water, juices, coffee and tea. That area was packed with people. I didn't have any food. Just grabbed glass of water.
Next you walk into seating area. That place was also full. I managed to find a spot.
I've connected to the wifi only to find out that Skype, Line and Facetime doesn't work. I wrote couple of emails and ventured to the food room to get some snacks. I didn't see anything that I would like, so just got some chocolate cake.

From the lounge you can take pictures of the airplanes on the ramp, but I didn't want to risk missing my flight by explaining it to the local police. All the pictures that I took in Muscat were taken from the comfort of my airplane seat.

https://flic.kr/s/aHskUcUCAr

They didn't call boarding for any of the flights. Just 20 minutes before departure you supposed to stand next to the door in the middle of the seating room. Then lounge attendant would walk you downstairs to the bus.
Later short bus ride to the aircraft. I was happy that today's flight was being operated by Boeing 787-9. I've flown on 787-8 but never before on 787-9.

The interior of business class looked exactly the same as in the A330-300 that I just got off from.
Seats and IFE were exactly the same.

On this flight, cabin crew up front consisted of 3 Asian ladies. At least one of them spoke Thai.
The pre flight routine was the same as on my previous flight. Amenity kit, wet towel, menus, pre flight drink order, lunch order, dry Dates service, Arabic coffee service. Departure.

We've managed to depart right on time. About 30 minutes into the flight I've got my Chivas with Coke, and minutes later my table was made. Again, the service was very slow. It took them 15 minutes to bring me my first appetizer, and another 15 minutes for the second appetizer. Same story as on my first flight. They were doing one plate at the time and it was taking loooong time.

This is the menu from the flight:

The Menu

Appetiser

- Cream of Asparagus soup

- Seasonal salad
"chef's vinaigrette" or herb yoghurt dressing

- Traditional arabic mezzeh
a selection of hot and cold appetisers

- Frittata with goat cheese and mushroom
warm tomato coulis, rocket leaves and carrot salad

Mains

- Seafood grill
grilled king prawn, salmon and kingfish served with almond and pomegranate rice lemon butter sauce

- Omani hospitality flavours from the sultanate
baked lamb shank served with qabouli rice, braised tomato and zucchini

- Asian stir-fried chicked
steamed rice

- Linguine pasta
creamy pesto sauce and parmesan shavings

Desert

- Freshly sliced seasonal fruit

- Gourmet ice cream selection

- Chocolate mousse cake
caramel sauce, chilled whipped cream

- Trio of arabic delights
spice-poached dried fruit

- Selected farmhouse cheese
classic accompaniments

I've got traditional Arabic mezeeh with baked lamb shank, and again no desert.
Appetizers were very very tasty. I think they were the best part of the lunch.

After the appetizers I've got refill of my whiskey and some time later my lamb has arrived.

Lunch was good, but I could tell that it wasn't Icelandic or New Zealand lamb.
I think the drink cut off limit for passengers on Oman Air is 3 glasses. I didn't ask for more, but I had a feeling that they wouldn't be happy to pour me another glass. I hit the bathroom and decided to try to take a nap.

While in bathroom, I saw that bidet option on this 787-9. It was little more sophisticated than on the A330

I woke up around an hour before the landing. They've asked me if I would like to have fruits, yogurt, cheese and some breads. I just asked for the tea and was happy with it.
The flight attendant gave me arrival card and instructed all business class passengers to go to the fast track immigration point.

We've landed on time on runway 19R. Taxied to the gate (for a change). Then the walkathon started. No matter at what gate you've arrived, you will always have to walk miles at BKK airport.

Bangkok airport was a zoo. I've arrived here late at night, early in the morning, afternoon, but there is always tons of people. Thanks to the fast track for the immigration, it took 2 minutes to clear it.
Then I went to collect my bag. I've got priority tag at MXP so I assumed that it would be one of the first on the belt.

That didn't work. I had to wait good 30 minutes before my bag appeared. Other people from my flight left with their bags and they didn't have that tag. Another couple from my flight also with priority tags were still there after I've got mine. After that quick scan of the bag and I was officially in Thailand.

My girlfriend was already waiting for me. She arrived on a flight at 3pm (3 hours earlier). After that we went looking for a meeting point for our hotel shuttle.
Oman Air offers Chauffeur service to business class passengers, however, when I've inquired with them if I can use it and have two of us for a ride to the hotel, I didn't get the answer.

It doesn't matter. For the first two nights I've booked us in Suvarnabhumi Ville hotel, which is right next to the runway 19R. We found the person from our hotel and she said that the van will depart in 5 minutes.
Perfect.
Old May 7, 2017, 7:42 am
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

We arrived at Suvarnabhumi Ville hotel about 10 minutes after departing from BKK. There was small queue for check in.
Deluxe Room with King bed was going for $40 a night, excluding breakfast. You could pre pay for breakfast 150B per person.
At the end of our check in process I've asked for second key card. They girl behind the desk told me that I have to pay 200 Bahts as a deposit for second card. That's roughly $7. I couldn't believe it. I haven't been asked to pay for second card anywhere else in the world. I gave her 200B and asked for wifi. She said gave me wifi username and password on a piece of paper but said that wifi doesn't work currently, somebody is working on it to restore the connection.
Then I've asked her if I can have 200B deposit until the wifi is fixed. She couldn't apprehend what I was asking her for. I've told her that if wifi doesn't work then I need to go somewhere to use internet and it will cost me money.
Then she got it. She gave me back my 200B for the second card that I've paid her just few minutes earlier.

The room at Suvarnabhumi Ville was ok. It was clean but very hot. You need to use a card to keep AC on (like in most hotels in Asia). We left our stuff and walked to another building (that hotel has 2 buildings with rooms), and wanted to check Sky Deck restaurant.
That restaurant is the reason why we've stayed there. From the roof you can take pictures of landing airplanes.
They even built small viewing deck on the top of the roof.

On this picture you can see Sky Deck and a breakfast restaurant on the 4th floor.

When we got upstairs I immidiately went to check out the viewing deck. Looked really nice and very close to runway 19R.
That's going to be my place tomorrow afternoon.
As we were hungry we got ourselves a seat and ordered few of my favorite Thai dishes.

Seafood with basil

Fried seafood

And shrimp in some sauce

The last item was not at all like the picture in the menu, and it was overpriced for just 3 shrimps.
In general the food price in that restaurant was way overpriced for the area. They were charging Bangkok downtown prices.
But WTH, I will support them if they are providing nice views of the airplanes and access for spotters/photographers.

As it always happens, next morning I woke up around 4am. Jetlag was hitting me hard the previous night. I was trying hard to stay awake, but lasted probably until 8pm.

So, for the first morning we had schedule trip to Phoenix Hotel, which is on the opposite side of runway 19R.
Room in Phoenix hotel runs about $17 a night. I had quite a number of bookings in that hotel, but never spent there even one night. It's a typical dump.
We took a taxi from Suvarnabhumi Ville to Phoenix, which got me at 50B. Check in was fast and bell boy took us to our room. The room was hot, smelly and just nasty in general. I would never put my butt on that bed.

Immediately we went to the second building (they also have 2 buildings) and straight to the roof. It was still dark outside, but dawn was coming soon. I setup my spotting station with 4 Leo's and 4 Singha's, and I was ready to spot

When the daylight came I was very disappointed. It was completely overcast. First time in my 3 years of going to Thailand I've seen overcast sky.

At 7am they start serving breakfast. My girlfriend went downstairs to the restaurant to enjoy some AC and to eat something. I've stayed on the roof and continued with photography.

Few minutes later a British lad came to the roof to spot airplanes. Of course he accused me of bringing the bad weather with me Then another Brit showed up for spotting, with the same accusations
They were actually staying in Phoenix hotel, but in the second building. They've paid little more for the rooms and had nice place. It appears that the second building where they were staying is completely renovated.

My girlfriend was kind enough and she brought me a breakfast to the roof.
Just typical western food. It was good enough for me. I was happy.

One of the British guys went back to his room just to bring me big bottle of Chang's. He said that he's leaving afternoon for Kuala Lumpur and he already had more than enough beer in Thailand. It was nice of him.

Between airplane shots I was playing with my new camera to see what type of features it had.
My favorite feature was "Miniature" objects. Here are some shots from the roof.

As you can see, this hotel is not in the nicest area. It's located in a side street of Lat Krabang street.

Around noon I've decided that it's time to eat something. Across the street we found local Thai restaurant. It's the one with the green banner.

We've got some food to go and took taxi back to Suvarnabhumi Ville hotel.
Old May 7, 2017, 12:14 pm
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

After having lunch in our room I went to the reception and asked for access to the roof. Before booking that hotel for two stays, I've sent them an email asking if they will open roof for me so I can take pictures of airplanes.
No problem. Roof will be open for you. Great. So I've booked this hotel for beginning and end of my trip.

At the front desk I've asked if the roof is open. The same rude receptionist from last night was working. She said that she will get the manager. The manager came and asked me if I've sent the request for roof access before my trip.
I've told them that I've contacted this hotel in December asking about it and they said yes.
The manager and receptionist spoke Thai and minute later the manager told me that she will have me sign the form.
Fine, I'll sign it. Then she brought the form. The form was saying that ANY picture taken from hotel's ground will be property of hotel, and that I have to pay 5000 Bahts as a deposit. They will pay me back after I give them the pictures. ...??? In other words the form was for professional TV crew, and even then I don't know who would sign it.
I've told her that this is just a hobby and I'm not professional photographer. She didn't give a damn.
I had no choice but to sign that stupid form. I've signed it and went on the roof. During my 3 hours stay on the roof I had 3 staff members 'escorting' me. I guess labor in Thailand is cheap...

View from the Sky Deck

After 3 hours I had enough (the weather was still bad). I went downstairs and the manager said that she wants my SD card to copy the pictures that I took. I've told her that I'm not going to give her SD card because I have other pictures on it and I don't wish to show them to people I don't know.
She said that I can go to one of the computers in the business corner of the lobby and copy them to that computer.
Fine, I'll do it. I had 5 people standing behind me. I've told them that if they want any pictures then they have to walk away, otherwise I'm not going to copy the pictures. I need privacy.
Of course I didn't have any other pictures on that card, just pictures from the morning and afternoon of the airplanes.
I've created folder on the desktop and copied ...... pictures from the afternoon. Not everything, just some crappy shots. It makes me mad when I think about it now.
I've copied the pictures, manager came to just get a glance (to make sure that I've copied the pictures) and I've walked away to my room.

I was pissed off. Never, ever, in any of the 40 countries that I have visited for plane spotting, anything like that happened to me before. And I've been to several hotels in Thailand taking pictures from the roofs.

In the evening, instead of going to the Sky Deck restaurant for dinner, we walked 2 minutes outside of the hotel and had food at local restaurant.

Next morning the weather was also bad, I didn't want to go to Phoenix hotel. Instead I went to the roof of this hotel.
The same rude receptionist was behind the desk. I've told her that I'm going on the roof to take pictures. She said that the manager is not here and that I have to sign the form.
I've told her that I've signed that stupid form yesterday, and if manager will come to work, she can find me on the roof.
The roof was actually never closed. It's a big entrance from the 4th floor, next to the breakfast area.

My girlfriend went to get the breakfast and I went to the deck. I've stayed there maybe one hour and went back to the room. On the way out I did not stop at the front desk to give them my pictures and to talk to that stubborn, rude manager.

At 11am we checked out from that hotel. The manager was behind the front desk, and when she saw me she said that next time I should give them 7 days notice if I want to take pictures of the airplanes.
I've told her - Right now I'm giving you my 7 days notice. I'll be back in this hotel in 7 days to take pictures.
She was confused. I've told her again that in 7 days I'm staying in this hotel again, and it will be probably my last stay there ever if they don't change that stupid policy.

Our Uber ride showed up and we were on our way to Hilton Millennium.
Old May 7, 2017, 4:43 pm
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

When we got to the Hilton it was still pretty early. I was hoping that they will let us check in. No problem whatsoever.
We were checked in at the side station for HHonors status members.
Few days before I've requested upgrade from regular room on the Executive Floor to a suite. My request was accepted.
And that's how you end up in a nice suite for extra $10 a day
I've reviewed this suite at this very hotel 6 months ago, so I'm not going to do it again. They have very spacious suites with oversized living room.

Since it was around lunch time, we've decided to go to the market next to the hotel. It's a two minutes walk along the
river. Before we got the food, my girlfriend wanted to change cover case on her phone. We went to the same stall where I got mine 6 months ago. The salesman remembered us She got her new case and new screen protector for a total of $10.

We had to cross countless stalls with clothing. Then you get to the food section of the market.
We've decided what we wanted and took the food with us upstairs.

Of course I had pork with basil. My GF had pad-see-ew (noodles with chicken) and some papaya salad. All this for a whooping $2.75.

After lunch I had to take a nap. Jetlag was still bothering me. Woke up around 3pm and really wanted some coffee.
In the executive lounge they have good coffee. So we went upstairs. I forgot that at 3pm in the lounge they serve canapes
and snacks. Good timing. We had coffee and some mini sandwiches and some sweets.

It was pretty good. Just made me ready for dinner
Around 6pm we've returned to the lounge for happy hour. That place was packed. Last few times when I've stayed in this
hotel, the lounge was almost empty on weekdays, but packed on weekends. Today was Tuesday evening and it was packed.
I've noticed that they've expanded the patio part on the outdoor deck. In place where used to be just decorative rocks and plants, now they have added about 6 tables and lots of chairs. I guess more and more people book executive floor rooms. I'm not surprised about this hotel, as this Hilton is one of the better ones that I've been to.

As appetizers we had few items from the self serve buffet, and glass of red wine.
The only available tables were outside on the deck. It was actually quite nice outside, as the temperature was going down to low 30s and the breeze was hitting the roof.

As it got more crowded we've decided to go out and have nice dinner. The choice was obvious. The Never Ending Summer
restaurant next to the hotel. (Don't mix it with Neverending Summer restaurant next door).
Like a broken record I've ordered the same food as I've been for the past couple of years. Shrimp fried rice and grilled fish. My GF had shrimp fried rice too, but with wild rice.

All that with couple of Mojitos goes for about $50 total. It's not the cheapest restaurant, but we really like the food in there. Let me put it this way, the quality of the ingredients is amazing. Always fresh and tasty.

I haven't told the waitress that I want 'farang' spicy. I think I've assumed that when they see me they will make it mild. I was wrong. The food was so damn good but also so damn spicy. I think that was the spaciest food I ever had in my life. I don't know what they put in it, but the chilies from prik nam pla were actually cooling it down.
The waitress finally saw me sweating bullets and drinking anything from the table besides the water in the flower bowl, and she apologized for the heat in my food. She asked if they can make another plate for me but not as 'pet mak mak' as this one I didn't want any more fried rice, so I just focused on the fish.

After the dinner we went back upstairs to change and to the swimming pool on the 4th floor. The swimming pool area is nice. You have chairs on the water, or you can have cabana on the beach. However, it was little disappointing to find out that the pool is only 4 feet deep. The water was very cold but refreshing.

Next morning as suggested by other FTer instead of going to executive lounge for breakfast we went downstairs to the restaurant called Flow. We have been there for dinner before and it was great so we had high expectations for breakfast too. The food selection was huge. I've noticed few items in the lounge not in the buffet downstairs but that's understandable. Besides that, everything was great. I would also recommend that you should try one day breakfast in the lounge and one day in the Flow.

Around the noon we've decided to take the free boat to the BTS station on the other side of the river. From there we've walked around to see the area. As I haven't been in the Thai mall before, and the weather was 40+ degrees so we went inside to mall called Robinson in Bangrak area. That mall reminded me of shopping malls in Europe in the early 90s. I've looked around to see the prices of the clothing, and asked myself 'how the hell Thai people can afford this?'. The prices for known brands were almost twice what you pay in USA.

From there we've walked into a side street where I have found online small restaurant called Khao Ka Mu Trok Sung. Ka Mu means pig's leg and that's what I wanted to eat for lunch

That restaurant had about 10 tables all together. Eight under the roof and 2 literally on the street.
Our waiter(ess) pointed at the table on the street with plastic chairs and brought us a menu. All they do in that place is just everything made out of pig's legs. I've pointed out pork on the rice and my girlfriend had the same thing + some veggies. Our waitress was ladyboy nearing the retirement age. That was my first (known) encounter with ladyboy in Thailand that I know of. She brought our food and sat down with us asking the questions, where are we from, why are we here, etc. We didn't mind. It was entertaining

That place was very popular with the locals. The food was good, but not what I've read on online reviews. The only memorable thing from that visit will be conversation with the waitress

After lunch we hit some pharmacy to get Aloe gel for my neck. Even though it was overcast when I was taking the pictures of the airplanes, the sun got to my neck pretty bad. Then back to the pier to catch the boat back to the hotel.
Old May 13, 2017, 7:50 am
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Sorry for slow posts, but I've been so busy at work and had couple of trips out of town. Will try catch up over this weekend.

Around 3pm we went to the lounge again for some coffee and cake, then again at 6pm for happy hour. Got some finger food and a wine.
After that we went to the hotel's pier to catch first boat to Asiatique Night Market. We were planning to go to Japanese restaurant for shabu-shabu that we've seen 6 months earlier but didn't have time to try it.

Arriving at Asiatique Night Market

Soon we found that restaurant and got big table. The prices in the menu were misleading. It shows 599B for set of meat and seafood for two. However, when we got our check it was 599B times two. There is a small print saying that the picture shows two sets. Bait and switch. Never seen that before in a restaurant.

Anyway, we've ordered 2 sets of seafood and meat with spicy and regular broths. When they brought the food it was a lot. The entire table was covered with dishes. When I've picked up my seafood dish, I've noticed huge black hair on the top of it. I gave the dish back to a waitress and asked for new one. Then the owner came when he saw me giving back food, and asked me what's wrong with it.
I've told him that there was long hair on the food and I would like to have replacement dish.
He said "Oh no, no hair in our food, no, no" and he left.
So, after few minutes they brought back my seafood. I'm guessing that they just removed the hair and brought the same shrimps, but I would like to think that they brought new shrimps

The food was ok. Since the owner was handling checks for all guests in the restaurant, I was hoping that he would knock off few Bahts from the bill. It was full price of 1200B and no apology whatsoever.

Went back to the pier and waited for our boat to take us back to the hotel.
Old May 13, 2017, 9:28 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Miles and Smiles, Hhonors, ICHotels

That looks so good. Also stayed at the Hilton - have snacks in lounge and then go to the market for dinner. Feels so wrong, and yet, it feels so right.
Great photos - thanks.
Old May 13, 2017, 9:42 am
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Next morning we hit the lounge for breakfast. The lounge was almost empty. I have to say that lounge staff members have been great comparing to my previous visits. During my previous stays at this hotel, lounge staff had flies in their noses. This time they were great and attentive.

Lazy morning with packing at the end. I've requested late check out and my request was granted.

Then we took Uber to Don Mueang airport for our flight to Jakarta.

April 20 2017
DMK - CGK
Thai Lion
SL118
Boeing 737-900ER
HS-LTU
Seat 2A
Actual flying time 3:04hrs

We've arrived at Don Mueang airport 5 hours before our flight. The idea was to grab some lunch and do some spotting from the observation deck.
The first stop was upstairs restaurant. The food was ok. Just enough to fill the hunger.

After the lunch we went next door to the indoor observation deck so I could do some plane spotting.

About 3 hours before our flight we went to the Thai Lion ticket office. I wanted to purchase Lion Fast service for 350 Bahts per person per flight segment. About $10 each way per person.
The only reason why I wanted to purchase it, was to select the seat and get emergency exit row. Their seat pitch is 29". Which would be a disaster (like my Ryanair flight from Hahn to Fargo). The Lion Fast service includes seat selection, priority check in, priority baggage, priority boarding and car service to/from the plane if they park at remote stand.
After paying for the service I've asked the lady if I can get emergency exit row. She said that all exit row seats are taken...
Krap. But she said that I can select any seats in rows 6-9, which are the preferred seats for Lion Fast customers. She also said that the seat pitch is also the same as any other seat on the plane.
I've told her what about second row of the airplane? She was confused. She asked if I want to seat in row 7? Then I've told her that if the aircraft start with row 6 then 7 will be fine. After some clicks she got us seats 2A and B. But was still confused why I don't want seats in rows 6-9.

After that we had to go to the check in desks. There was absolutely no priority check in desk. Had to wait behind Chinese tour group, which took about 30 minutes. At that point I thought that Lion Fast is just bullocks. Anyway, when it was our turn, I gave the lady our passports and handed over receipt for Lion Fast. She put priority tags on our bags and gave us some cards with airline logo to give it to the gate agent.

Then the immigration part. Went to the Foreign Passports line, stood there for about 10 minutes and then everybody moved. We were standing in the line for Thai Passports only. WTH? You have 6 desks in Foreign Passports only and right in the middle they put Thai only? So the immigration part took about 20 minutes. Then comes the security check. That went very fast. Maybe 3 minutes total. They had a lot of lanes open.

Next stop was duty free shop. I wanted something to drink while in Indonesia. Got bottle of Bacardi Black Rum and went near the gate to do some more plane spotting.
Our 6pm departure time was getting closer. Then they've announced that the flight is being delayed by 1 hour due to the lack of crew. It was too dark to take any pictures so we were waiting by the door.
The boarding is done like in Istanbul or like in Singapore. However, you don't go through another security check. They screen your bags before you are allowed to enter check in desks, and then you have another security check past immigration.

At 7pm we saw the crew entering the boarding area. Two gate agents were getting ready to let people in. Minutes later hoards of people stormed the door. We were somewhere at the end. Another queue formed in the holding room. That room was packed.
But when the first agent saw our Lion Fast cards, she stopped people from entering the room, and took us right in front of the long queue. Then another agent took us to the jetway and we've boarded the plane before the boarding call was made.

When we got to the seat we were greeted by the crew. Then I saw holy grail! The plane is missing seat 1A!!! Hallelujah!!!
That was pure luck! Since it wouldn't let me check in online and seatguru doesn't have Thai Lion seat maps I didn't know which seat to select.

After the boarding was completed, they've made several announcements that food and drinks purchased outside the plane are not permitted during the flight. That airline doesn't even serve free water. You have to purchase everything. We had our own water and snacks. Consummated it when the crew was busy selling their stuff.
Little over 3 hours later we've touch down in Jakarta.

We've taxied for long time before getting to the stop at remote stand. Flight Attendants held people so we could be first at the door. Walked down the stairs where some two guys invited us to a van. Ok, so the Lion Fast is working with the car service.
In the car they've asked us for our passports. Then we walked to the immigration desks. We were the only people there. The only question agent asked was how long we are planning on staying in Indonesia. "Till Sunday" was the answer, and we got our entry stamps. Then the guy who escorted us to the immigration, walked with us to the baggage belt. The priority tags did not work. We've waited good 30 minutes for our bags, and they arrived at the very end. He loaded them on the cart and cut the line to the entry screening machine. The customs guy selected one bag from the cart for x-ray and we were in arrivals hall.

I saw hotel representative holding a card with my name. We've walked to him and he gave us instructions to wait 5 minutes right there for the hotel shuttle. Meanwhile I went to exchange the money. I didn't do math before and gave the guy $200. In exchange I've got over 2.6 million Indonesian Rupiah. I assumed that it would be enough for 3 days at the hotel, if not I can always use credit card. That cash 2.6 million was bundled up with 50 000 bank notes being the biggest one. I had a lot of bank notes They gave me envelope to put the money in. It was huge

As soon as I've returned, the hotel guy said that the shuttle is waiting for us upstairs. The airport employee took our cart and we went upstairs to the waiting van. As I didn't know how much I should tip him (in local currency) I gave him US$. He was very happy.

Ride to our hotel FM7 Resorts took about 10 minutes. We finally arrived at the hotel few minutes before midnight.
Old May 13, 2017, 9:45 am
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by roadwarrier
That looks so good. Also stayed at the Hilton - have snacks in lounge and then go to the market for dinner. Feels so wrong, and yet, it feels so right.
Great photos - thanks.
We've learn that having a lot of snacks in the lounge is not good There is a lot of good food outside, and so cheap! But on another hand, the snack food during happy hour in the lounge is so delicious
Old May 31, 2017, 4:33 pm
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Sorry again for the delay with my TR, but had trip to Europe. Visited 5 countries in 9 days. Meetings all day and in the evening regrouping with my coworkers to summarize the day. I have 3 more days before my next trip, so I'll try to squeeze more in this trip report.

So we've arrived at the FM7 Resort hotel shortly before midnight. Hungry and tired. I've asked them what time the restaurant closes. We were happy to hear that Thai restaurant is open 24/7.
In this case we were in no rush anymore. We were taken to our room ($45 a night including free wifi and breakfast).

Room was not bad. Comfy bed, clean bathroom and working AC. Don't need anything else.

Minutes later we went upstairs to the Montezuma roof top bar. As it was very late, not many people were there. My girlfriend had some juice and I've tasted Indonesian beer Bintang.
Then we went to the Thai restaurant called The Porte. This restaurant is also used for the breakfast.

To start we've got satay chicken. It was really good.

Also, got more Bintang beer.

For the main course we've got shrimp with basil and fried morning glory, along with fish curry.

Food was very good. After the dinner we hit the bed for early wake up call.

Before we knew, it was 6am and time to get up. Went back to The Porte restaurant to check out the breakfast.

They had western style food and Asian dishes. The best item on the menu was BBQ chicken. It was very delicious.

Since my main objective in Jakarta was to do aviation photography, I went to the front desk and asked them to call manager and see if they can open roof top for me. My wish was granted 2 minutes later. One of the bell boys went with me upstairs and opened the door, so I could enjoy spotting.

Location on the roof for photography was perfect. Unfortunately the sun moves around to the other side sometimes after 11am, and the pictures are kind of backlit.

By noon I was spent. The heat was unforgivable. My girlfriend was bringing me water every hour and to check on me if I'm still alive

We were still full from the breakfast, we've decided just to go for a coffee to the coffee shop in the lobby called Lulu Lala. As you can imagine, they have huge selection of tea and coffee, and also nice selection of cakes and some light fare. And that's what we've got. Behind the window there is a bird cage (it's the size of 3-4 full size rooms). In that cage they had few Indonesian native birds called Raggiana Bird of Paradise. They were fun to watch.

Before the dinner we went back to Montezuma roof top bar to have some drinks.
I've got my new friend Bintang and my girlfriend had mojitos. Evening breeze was very comfortable so we've stayed there for a while.

Roof top bar has indoor and outdoor seating. As the weather was nice we've opted for the outdoor setting.

For dinner we've decided to try Indonesian/Malaysian/Chinese restaurant called AJ Brandon. That restaurant was in another building and required quite a hike.
We've got some dishes from each menu. Food was also good, but high on the calories

After the dinner we've called it a day.
Old May 31, 2017, 4:55 pm

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
Shame you didn't make it to my friends bar/restaurant in River City just behind the pink boat. Nice place to hang out on the river.

Old Jun 1, 2017, 5:50 am
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by ExpatSomchai
Shame you didn't make it to my friends bar/restaurant in River City just behind the pink boat. Nice place to hang out on the river.
I didn't even know that there are restaurants. We've assumed that that place is just to board dinner cruise boats.
We will try it next time while in Bangkok, because we will definitely stay at Hilton Millennium again

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.