Burj Al Arab

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Burj Al Arab

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2003, 7:24 am
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Excellent Report, thanks very much...
Old Aug 27, 2003, 11:04 am

Programs: Amex, Avis, BA, BD, CX, FS, Hertz, HH, IC, LH, NH, RC, RCCL, Sixt, SPG, SQ, UA
very good Uli, vielen Dank.

best hotel report I have read so far!
Old Aug 27, 2003, 12:26 pm
Uli
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by flamboyant 1:
very good Uli, vielen Dank.

best hotel report I have read so far!
</font>
Thank you for the flowers!
Old Aug 27, 2003, 7:25 pm

Programs: Amex, Avis, BA, BD, CX, FS, Hertz, HH, IC, LH, NH, RC, RCCL, Sixt, SPG, SQ, UA
My pleasure!

What temperature was the pool / ocean ?
How hot was the sand ? Did they do anything to cool the sand ? At the Amanpuri they cool the beach (some walkways to and around the beds/long-chairs) with water.
Old Aug 27, 2003, 7:46 pm

Pool? Do they have one? Where would they put it? Suppose it could be indoors.

They don't cool the sand. It's hot as hell, but they do come by with frozen towels and canned evian.
Old Aug 27, 2003, 11:33 pm
Uli
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by flamboyant 1:
What temperature was the pool / ocean ?
How hot was the sand ? Did they do anything to cool the sand ? At the Amanpuri they cool the beach (some walkways to and around the beds/long-chairs) with water.
</font>
Pool was around 24 degrees, ocean 32. even with anoutside temp of 40-something, this feel like pretty warm water.

Sand is f***ing hot, really. bring your slippers!
Old Aug 27, 2003, 11:35 pm
Uli
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Darren:
Pool? Do they have one? Where would they put it? Suppose it could be indoors.
</font>
one pool is indoors in the spa.
another pool is outside.

both pools are not olympic size, just to do a little swimming. they are not crowded. outside pool is more a place to be seen.

if you want a huge pool, you can use the one of the jumeirah beach hotel right across the bridge or the wild wadi water park right next to it.
Old Aug 28, 2003, 4:34 am

I thought that I would offer a different perspective on the Burj al Arab. I stayed there for 2 nights in a deluxe suite at the end of July.

I have to say that I found the decor of the suite to be so overwhelmingly ostentatious as to make me uncomfortable. There was gold all over the place, and other bright, mismatched colours, which did not at all match the building's stunning exterior. There was no effort at subtlety, and I would not have been able to stomach staying another night there. I prefer hotels with a more tasteful (in my opinion, of course!) design. The amenities in the room were excellent, and the sheer size is breathtaking.

Service was generally good, but I have had better elsewhere. Some requests for information were not answered, or answered with superficial information which showed that little effort had been made. The worst thing for me was when I checked out on my floor. The floor manager asked whether I had had anything from the mini bar the night before. I replied in the negative, at which point she tried to call the butler (in front of me) to have him check whether or not this was true. It took her about 5 minutes to reach him, and another 5 minutes for him to go to my room to ascertain that I had not stolen everything from the mini bar (it would have taken her 30 seconds to walk to my room herself).

I was left sitting at the desk twiddling my thumbs for this 10 minutes, wondering what exactly I had done that she should think I am a liar. It really was most disappointing (and blatant), and not something that has happened anywhere else.

I would not stay there again, because of the rooms and the disappointing attitude at checkout.
Old Aug 28, 2003, 6:14 am
Uli
Original Poster

in the hotel the service is wonderful

but you get no reply on emails, faxes from outside etc.
the email addresses on their website and in the reservation systems get returned as "cannot be delivered" some days later

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.