Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Economy Class menus & Experiences from another time?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Economy Class menus & Experiences from another time?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2003, 7:52 pm
LLZ

I'm on a roll recalling these and getting hungry!

1982 Northwest Orient 727-100 DFW-MSP-CLE-BOS
Yes, it was one flight with two stops before the final destination. Service and food were pretty good. The old 727-100 had seen better days...the interior was heavily tobbaco-stained and it still "featured" the hat racks in lieu of more modern overhead bins. Nice over-lake views approaching CLE with snow and all. At the age of 15 I was thrilled to have so many takeoffs and landings on one flight!

DFW-MSP

Breakfast
Cheese Omelette
Sausage Links
Fruit Plate
Sweet Roll with Butter

MSP-CLE

Snack
Pretzels and your choice of beverage

CLE-BOS

Dinner
Salad with Thousand Island
Roast Beef with Gravy
Mashed Potatoes
Green Beans
Roll with Butter
Chocolate Cake
Old Jul 29, 2003, 7:41 pm
LLZ

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by pallensf:
OK - this is going to be another wonderful thread I can just tell... &lt;IMG SRC="http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/thumbsup.gif"&gt;

</font>
I guess it didn't take
Old Jul 29, 2003, 11:52 pm

Programs: DL Plat
Coach-class transcons (LAX-JFK), 1979

At the beginning of my career, I was flying this route monthly or more, at the dawn of deregulation. Sorry, I don't have an actual menu, and am unsure if the experience below was on AA or UA, as I switched between the two (I think it was AA). Flights were always either DC-10s or 747s -- no 737 or similar flying transcons in those days !

1. While boarding in coach (a leisurely 45 - 60 minute process, with no pushing, shoving, or other mob scenes as we see today), the FAs would serve orange juice and warm donuts to passengers as they were seated - Remember, this is "during boarding" and in COACH.

2. After takeoff, a full hot breakfast meal was served to coach passengers (eggs, breakfast meat, breads, beverages) - this part is not too different from what you might experience on a coach transcon today (if lucky).

3. Then, after the movie, it was time to begin the "Deli Lunch Buffet"; that's right two full meals on a domestic coach flight, and this was a true stand-up buffet smorgasboard: During the movie, the FAs had set up a lavish deli buffet in the rear of the coach cabin. The FAs would invite passengers in one area after another of the coach cabin to rise (groups of maybe 20), make their way to the back of the cabin, and then help themselves to a "make your own lunch" meal at the buffet.

The offerings were always :
- assorted varieties of sandwich sliced bread (rye, sourdough, white, etc.) and rolls
- platters piled high with roast beef, turkey, ham, lox (yes, lox - $$$), and sliced cheeses
- various chips, crackers and vegetable munchies
- desserts: cookies and fruits (apples, oranges, bananas)

Each person could help themselves to as much food as they wanted, pile it on a tray, then go back to his seat to enjoy their meal. The food never seemed to run out. And yes, let me repeat -- this was in domestic COACH !

I have no idea what the folks in FC were having --- given the tremendous quantity and quality of the coach food, heaven only knows !

To the person who has flown only in recent times, I know the above is difficult to believe, but it did happen, and the service continued as described for at least 5 or 6 months in 1979, maybe longer !
Old Aug 25, 2003, 2:31 am

I am inspired to post a few Economy Class menus from my years in South America. I have lots more!

The first one is from the defunct Venezuelan airline, Viasa, which flew long haul routes, mostly with DC10s. This is their Caracas-Lima-Santiago menu from 1985.

Caracas-Lima - Breakfast

Fruit Supreme
Omelette Gardener's Style or
Ham Omelette
Cheese and Crackers
Croissants and Rolls

Lima-Santiago - Lunch

Cold Appetizer
Chicken Ragout ++ Rice Pilaw or
Veal Collop Marsala ++ Vegetables & Potatoes
Cheese and Crackers
Strawberry Cake

Another Venezuelan airline that was renowned for good food and service was Servivensa, and here is their menu for the Lima-Quito-Bogota-Caracas route (1990s):-

Lima-Quito - Breakfast

Orange, Grapefruit and Strawberries
Scrambled Eggs ++ Bacon and Diced Potatoes or
Fine Herbs Omelette ++ Bacon and Sausages
French Rolls and Croissants

Quito-Bogota - Snack

Cheese or Turkey Open Sandwiches
Sweet Ricotta Pastries

Bogota-Caracas - Lunch

Italian Salad
Blanquette of Veal in Mushroom Saucee or
Supreme of Chicken in Creole Sauce
Mixed Vegetables ++ Potatoes ++ Rice Pilaf
Cheesecake with Raisins

Another airline that disappeared was Ladeco, which was absorbed into LanChile. Their catering was renowned, and the following menu is from a domestic route lasting less than two hours. I'll give the original Spanish (minus acccents!) and then translate it.

Lunch

Cornets de Jamon Rellenos
Pollo Marengo o
Corvina ++ Salsa Mousseline
Papas Duquesas y Zanahorias Baston
Tronco de Chocolate o Carlota Rusa
Frutas de Estacion
Cafe y Licores

Stuffed Ham Cornets
Chicken Marengo or
Corvina (Fish) with Mousseline Sauce
Duchess Potatoes and Carrot Batons
Chocolate Log or Charlotte Russe
Seasonal Fruits
Coffee and Liqueurs

This menu dates from 1986

Finally, a recent one from TAM (Brazil), for their Sao Paulo-Paris route. I'll give it literally, and you will see one or two terms that might amuse.

Dinner

Salad of Frayed Chicken Supreme with Yoghurt and Chestnuts Sauce

Assorted TAM Hot Breads

Jerked Meat typically served with Tomato Sauce and Vegetables, Pumpkin and White Rice or

Chicken Supreme with Herbs abd Demiglace Sauce, served with Saute Vegetables or

Ham & Chicken Ravioli with Tomatoes Concasse and Bechemel Sauce, Italian Cheese sprinkled

Lemon Pie with Meringue

Breakfast

Fresh Fruits
Assorted Cold Cuts
Hot Breads
Croque-Monsieur
Yoghurt
Butter and Jelly

Not a bad offering for Economy Class!

Enjoy!
ID

Old Aug 25, 2003, 2:46 am

Location: newyork london paris munich everybodys talking about mmm pop musik
Programs: UA, QF
I have a Qantas economy menu from SYD -PPT - LAX in 1982.

SYD-PPT 6 Hours 45 Minutes
DINNER
-Seafood Salad
-Fillet Steak Forestiere
-Passionfruit Pavlova
-Cheese, Coffee, Tea

PPT-LAX 7 Hours 50 Minutes
BREAKFAST
-Fresh Fruit Cocktail
-Omelette Fines Herbes
-(with grilled bacon and Tomato)
-Danish Pastry
-Coffee, Tea

LUNCH
Garden Salad Vinagrette
Chicken Portugaise
Pear Belle Helene
Cheese
Coffee, Tea

and the movies playing on the mainscreen during the whole journey:
"Victor/Victoria"
"I Ought to be in Pictures"
"Absence of Malice"
"Starstruck"
Old Aug 26, 2003, 4:25 pm

Location: Huntsville AL, previously Kwajalein - Republic of the Marshall Islands
Programs: CO Plat, DL Plat
UA circa 1984 BDL-BOS-LAX
Beverage service BDL-BOS, then breakfast BOS-LAX:
Choice of Scrambled Eggs or French Toast
Link Sausage
Breakfast potatoes (real diced & sauteed potatoes, not those deep-fried McPotato rectangle thingees)
Muffins
Orange juice cup
Fresh mixed fruit

2nd service (which today would be a "light snack prior to landing"):
Hot soup (veg beef, I think)
Fresh Pineapple half filled with a delicious chicken salad
Assorted rolls & butter
chocolate cake/fudge frosting

Doubt we'll see anything like this in domestic coach today!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.