Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Continental Report

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2003, 11:43 am
Original Poster

Continental Report

SEA-IAH-EWR was my flight plan. I left on the 6:20 am, and connected to the 1:15 pm flight. 1st flight was a 757-200, the second a 767-400

Some of you may think this routing is quite akward, but I wanted the extra miles, and the fly on the 767-400.

I was not EUAed on any of the flights, so I wanted to check-in early. I was dropped off at the curbside by my car service, and went to firstclass check-in. An agent named Ed waived me over, and asked where I was going. I told him IAH then EWR.

His reponse: Houston, THEN Newark??

I laughed quietly to myself. He was quite surprised I was going to IAH first, then to EWR, but I explained I wanted the extra miles. I asked him about the upgrade, but he told me that all he could do was place me on the stand-by list for both. I was given seat 8C, and 26A on the connection.

CO has the 6:20 am to IAH take off from the South Satelite, which is not there normal terminal, B. These gates are mostly operated by NW. I took the train out there, and went over to the WorldClub. As I entered, there was no agent inside to check your membership. I just walked right in over to the buffet. I grabbed an espresso from the machine, and a toasted bagel with cream cheese. The club was fairly crowded with about 8 people. The club had a collection of newspapers, TV, computer areas, luggage stowing area, and clean bathrooms. The buffet consisted of bagels, muffins, juice, and alcohol. This club, unlike many, does not have a bar. It also seemed like they were VERY understaffed. Only one agent was running the whole club, and she had to do all the cleaning up. I saw her running back and forth between the entrance and seating area. The worldclub is much more spacious then the President's club in the B terminal, but the view of the tarmac from Terminal B is much better. Overall, I think the WorldClub outranks the Presidents club in SEA. I especially enjoyed the espresso machine.

After eating some breakfast, I walked over to the departure gate, S11. I asked about the upgrade and he said only 1 seat was left, he also said I was not on the top of the list, so I wouldn't get it. Boarding began at 5:55 am, and I boarded shortly after F/C. The F/A's were standing in the doorway, chatting with eachother. After settling in, I realized just how small CO's coach seat really is. Push back was on-time, and we taxied out. On take-off, I saw an AS 737-200. It was a really nice site, anyone know what is was doing at SEA?

Shortly after take-off, a breakfast service was offered in coach. I accepted the basket with an orange juice. The basket contained, a crispix cereal, milk, sticky bun, napkin, banana, and a spoon. I realized that they just gave us a spoon, and not the whole thing with fork and knife, must be another cut-back measure. I was pleased with the breakfast, and found it rather tasty. I thought it was quite acceptable for coach.

A movie was offered, Analyze That, but I was not interested for 2 reasons. 1: I had already seen it, 2: It was the clean version. I realized that when it's cut, it's just not as funny. I slept for about 2 hrs after breakfast.

The staff was very professional on this flight. In-flight, the FA even brought around a tray of water or orange juice for coach passengers. I awoke to the aroma of fresh cookies being baked in first class. I was filled with envy. We made our descent and landed a little early in IAH. We made our way to gate, B39. This gate was far from my connection, D5. I was out of the plane by 12:20 pm, a little earlier than scheduled.

IAH is a nice airport, a little dirty, but acceptable. A red coat agent was there the greet our flight, and informed me of my connecting gate, very professional. I made my way to the D terminal, and had a quick bite at the Lone Star Grill. It's a very good place with burgers, fries, salads, ETC.... I recommend it. I checked at the gate for my upgrade, and she handed me seat 2L, boarding began shortly after.

I was lucky to have been upgraded on this flight, since it had BusinessFirst seats. I was offered a pre-departure drink, as I settled in to my seat. I really like the overhead bins on the 767-400. It's a very smart design. The bins fold down, and then you can push them back up. It saves alot of space. We pushed and taxied out for departure, this time we had to wait to take-off. When it was our turn, we took off, and I was very surprised at how quite the 767-400 is.

After take-off the FA came around to take lunch orders. It was either a salad with split pea soup, or brisket sandwich with soup. I ordered the sandwich with a coke. They were about the start the PTV's, and I could not locate a headset. I politely asked the FA in the back of First Class if I could have a headset.

Her: There $5.
Me: No, i'm sitting in first.
Her: Oh, well they should have them in the front.

So I went up front, where I asked again, this time to a very rude FA.

Me: Could I have a headset?
Her: (in a rude tone) They should be in your seat pocket. (and she walked away.)

I returned to my seat to look once more, and could not find it. Hot towels were brought around by a FA (Pat) who I had not asked for a headset. When she handed me a towel she said, " did you find the headset?" I told her that I couldn't locate it, and she went to go get me one. I was very impressed with her service. I hadn't even asked her for one but she overheared me.

The entertainment selections were, Hot Chick, Friday After Next, Sopranos, Sex and the City, History's Lost and Found, Frida, and some other stuff I don't remember. The PTV is also equipped with games such as, Invasion, Hangman, and a few others. I decided to watch Hot Chick, and History's Lost and Found afterwards. History's Lost and Found featured the waffle iron that was used to make the first NIKE running shoe. Yes, those spikes on the bottom of your shoes were made from a waffle iron. I found it rather interesting.

After the towel service, we were offered smokehouse almonds. I love those nuts, a little salty, but with a coke to wash it down, there very good. After, my sandwich was handed to me on one tray, without linens.

The sandwich was accompanied by a tangy BBQ sauce, the pea soup, a pickle, potato salad, and a pecan delight. The pecan delight was a cheap dessert for the time of day. Surely they can offer a peice of cake or something. I guess it saves them a few bucks. I was not disappointed with my choice at all. The soup had little peices of ham, with the green broth. It was served a little to hot, so I used a few ice cubes to cool it down. The soup was good, as was the sandwich. The only thing I didn't enjoy was the potato salad. I like the coleslaw much better. I highly recommend this choice to anyone. My seatmate got the salad, and it didn't look appetizing to me.

After I was finished, Pat, cleared my tray, and offered more drinks. I declined and watched the rest of the movie. I also noticed that the movies were not cut for "family" viewing. Personally, it doesn't matter to me, but some people could get offended.

The seat on the 767-400 is very spacious, electronic, and legroom is never ending. Something that was offered on this plane, that is not offered on the BF 757, or 777, is the level of your lumbar. You can lower the lumbar to your lower back, or raise it to the higher part of your back. It also had the footrest, and went back to an almost flat degree. It seemed like the BF 757 seat went back a little further, but it could have been my imagination. I was impressed by the seat. Surprisingly, I didnt sleep at all. I also played a few games, invasion, and hangman. After my movie was finished, I watched the airshow map. When I viewed the map, I realized just how weird our flight plan was. We went over ATL, then turned north to CLT, and then up to EWR. Right between Norfolk, and EWR, we were in a holding pattern. The captain came on the PA and informed us that ATC had to slow us down since NYC was experiencing some traffic delays. It's to bad that we had an ATC delay, because the airshow was showing us coming in at 5:30 pm. Instead we touched down at 6:05, a little late, and taxied to gate C95. Newark was very cloudly and raining.

I was pleased with CO's service, and I especially liked the BF seat. The only downer was my request for a headset. I was very mad that the FA's didn't seem to care. Pat, on the other hand, made up for it.

[This message has been edited by NWseaflyer (edited 04-13-2003).]

[This message has been edited by NWseaflyer (edited 04-15-2003).]
Old Apr 12, 2003, 1:32 pm

Programs: Active: AA, UA, DL
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by NWseaflyer:
Some of you may think this routing is quite akward, but I wanted the extra miles, and the fly on the 767-400.</font>
Awkward? I'd say expected!

- Pat
Old Apr 12, 2003, 3:28 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by NWseaflyer:
Some of you may think this routing is quite akward, but I wanted the extra miles, and the fly on the 767-400. </font>
Haha, your talking to some who just did SEA-EWR-MCO just for the miles and the fact that it was cheaper than IAH.

Congratulations on the upgrade. I got them on my flights as well, great description of the 764. Much appreciated, as I shall be flying MCO-IAH-LAX-IAH on this aircraft later this month. Hopefully the upgrades come through for me.
Old Apr 15, 2003, 8:16 pm
Original Poster

I guess the agent was not a OnePass member.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.