Wiki Posts
Search

Flight of Fancy

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2003, 3:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM MM
Flight of Fancy

It had been many years since I had been on a hot air balloon trip, so I called my travel buddies, and we agreed to meet in Florence to pursue a ballooning adventure in Siena, and the neighboring town of San Gimignano.

Using Sky Miles to secure a first class seat, I was soon aboard a plane crossing the Atlantic, marveling at how far the science of flight had come since 1783, when two French brothers named Montgolfier sent up a hot-air balloon for Louis XVI and Marie Antoinette. The unwitting passengers were a duck, a rooster, and a lamb!

My friends and I stayed at the Excelsior Hotel in Florence, and after two glorious days seeing the city's fabled art treasures, dining on heavenly Italian food, and shopping for leather goods, we set off for Siena to meet the rest of the balloon group.

Prior to each day's balloon flight, the pilots released a small, red helium filled balloon, and carefully watched its ascent to determine the direction of the prevailing winds. Armed with the latest weather reports, they selected a launch site upwind of the day's destination.

Inflating the hot-air balloons was an exciting beginning to the day's flight. The deflated balloons were laid out in a field, with the wicker baskets and attached propane burners resting on their sides. Two large fans inflated the balloons with air, which were then heated by the propane burners, causing the tethered ballon to rise.

As soon as we were all aboard, the tether was released and we began out glorious flight. The pilots coordinated the takeoff so that both balloons rose at exactly the same time. This provided wonderful photo opportunities for the passengers.

Balloons don't have steering wheels. In order to change direction, the pilots must climb or descend to catch different layers of moving air.

One memorable takeoff site was outside the 13th century ramparts of San Gimignano. We drifted lazily over this perfectly preserved medieval town and its surrounding patchwork of wheat fields, vineyards and olive groves.

Rooftop-level balloon flights were the most enjoyable because they allowed us to wave, and shout, "buon giorno" to the astonished people below. Winding city streets with churches, houses and perfectly tended vegetable gardens unfolded below us as we floated overhead.

On one flight, we spotted a large tent pitched in a field below, we decided to drop down and say good morning. A surprised troop of Belgian girl scouts tumbled sleepily out of the tent. Their leader offered us some of their cereal and milk for breakfast. We declined their hospitality, and after many questions, and much picture taking, we were aloft again.

Our next chance to surprise someone came when we passed over an Italian farmhouse that had been converted to rental guest cottages. We saw people swimming in the pool below, and decided to pay them a visit. Imagine their surprise when our nine-story, flower decorated balloon floated down for a landing!

We were welcomed by barking dogs and squeals of joy from the children, who immediately climed out of the pool in their eagerness to see the amazing contraption that had just landed.

We offered the adults Moet & Chandon champagne, a tradition at the end of every flight. Our new friends set up a table and proceeded to bring forth salami (the best I have ever eaten), bruschetta, and delicious local cheeses.

We sat in the shade of a fig tree and enjoyed the impromptu feast, surrounded by olive trees and multicolored zinnias. Our Italian host told us that he had phoned his boss and related the arrival of a giant balloon in his yard.

The boss replied, "You must be drunk."

Invited to see for himself, his boss soon arrived to join the celebration. He honored us by bringing several bottles of very fine Brunello, arguably the best of all the Italian wines.

Another day, the duomo of Siena was our hoped for destination. The winds cooperated, and we arrived over the cathedral just as the Sunday morning bells were ringing. Our pilot was able to hover, and turn the balloon 360 degrees, so that everyone could get an unobstructed view. The smell of freshly baked bread wafted up from a bakery below.

Following every balloon flight, we were hosted at elegant lunches in the private homes of Italian nobility. One luncheon took place in the baronial dining hall of a castle built in the 14th century, complete with suits of armor; another happened in a country home and wine-producing estate that dated to 994, and still another in a city penthouse overlooking the rooftops of Siena.

All the meals featured an abundant variety of home cooked Tuscan cuisine and wines.

Sometimes we followed our meals with a climb to the top of a turret for a view of the surrounding Chianti countryside, or a leisurely stroll through a garden, or a swing in a hammock shaded by a canopy of giant cedar trees.

This Italian dream trip finally came to an end. We celebrated with a farewell luncheon and were awarded our balloon lapel pins for having successfully completed all the flights. As we drove back to Florence for the trip home, I wondered what could top this experience.

I think I'll call my friends again and see if they want to go on safari in South Africa this June!

Old Apr 6, 2003, 4:53 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines
Dorlee - Bienvenue a Flyer Talk...

Thank you for a most refreshing report...

Blessings to our new member...

------------------
Patrick A. Inouye, CMT
volunteer trip reports moderator
Old Apr 6, 2003, 11:27 pm
Suspended

I would love to find out the details how how to arrange such a ballon trip. It makes me mad that I did not think of doing that when we were in Tuscany last summer. I would email you , but none is listed, please pass on the DETAILS!!!

Marc
Old Apr 7, 2003, 12:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM MM
Marc - The name of the company is The Bombard Society. Buddy Bombard is the owner, and has been in business since 1977. The phone number is 800-862-8537; web address is www.bombardsociety.com

I have taken three trips with him, two in France, and this last one in Tuscany. He does trips to Salzburg, Prague, Turkey, and the Swiss Alps in winter, and summer.

They have a wonderful video they will send to you. Hope you get to go sometime!
Old Apr 7, 2003, 2:35 pm

Sounds great but if I am correct these tours are verrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr rrry exxxxxxpensive.
Old Apr 7, 2003, 6:43 pm
Suspended

WOW.

That is expensive. I thought you had just arranged for 1 morning flight over Tuscany, not a week long adventure!!

Looks fabulous!!

Marc
Old Apr 10, 2003, 12:37 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
didn't think I would enjoy/be into a balloon ride until wife convinced me to take on in the outback.

Great report and I sure want to take another.
They are so relaxing!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.