Reload this Page >

A Trip in First To Sydney (Mardi Gras) on United

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A Trip in First To Sydney (Mardi Gras) on United

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2002, 3:06 am

Programs: QF Plat QC Life Member; AA Plat; EK Silv; SPG Plat; Hyatt Diamond; Sirius (Jumeirah) Silver
Alas QF Domestic Business Class may have degraded a bit. I did a MEL-PER and PER-MEL in business on one day a few weeks ago. They have killed linen on that leg as well - it's not just short CNS-SYD length flights.

I do find the disturbingly large number of reports (not just travellin man's) involving rude QF cabin crew suprising. I think I have had 1 bad one - from LAX-MEL where she basically abused me for not trying to get duty free earlier (I was obviously asleep at the time). I have had a couple who needed to get more (or get better if you follow my drift) and usually were pleasent enough when I was super nice to them.

The crew that serves in Business Class are usually amazingly great in Domestic. The guy we had from ADL-PER last year with just 2 business class passengers at the height of the post Ansett backlog and the team on a PER-ASP-CNS Airlink flight come straight to mind.

Maybe I have low expectations of service people?
Old Mar 29, 2002, 11:21 am
Original Poster

Location: Los Angeles, CA UA Premier Exec, AA Platinum, Marriott Gold
I really don't notice "bad" flight crews unless they are really bad. I honestly don't need to be best friends with the flight crew, and usually a smile will suffice. On both my Qantas trips, however, I found the service REALLY bad. We were not even asked if we'd like anything to drink on the SYD-CNS leg!

They may be relatively "short" flights (at just under 3 hours, I consider it a moderate-length flight), but I guess I was expecting at "more". And believe me, I'm not THAT picky.

The ironic thing is that the QF flight crews were the only surly Australians we encountered the entire time we were there!

Of course, it is entirely possible we unluckily happened upon the few flight crews that really don't care.

(P.S. - Bers, is there really no boarding process with Qantas, other than "first come, first served"?)
Old Aug 21, 2002, 7:43 pm

Programs: AA ExecPlat; AF Gold; UA GS; Hyatt L. Globalist; Marriott Plat; Hilton Diamond; National EE
I'm now catching up on my trip report backlog... and what a gem we have here! Thanks, travellin man. I wish we could get the adult version on here too!

Two notes:

A. I've never seen priority boarding on Ansett or Qantas domestic Australian flights.

B. I hated AI too!
Old Aug 22, 2002, 10:42 am
In Memoriam

Programs: Mucci
Travellin man - thanks for the reports - rest assured that the treip reports DO get back to Qantas management, and are indeed acted upon. Glad you had a happy Muddy Grass, I love it myself. Always glad to take a weekend off work, and Muddy Grass is as good enough reason as any.

As far as Qantas domestic service goes, we are in the same situation here as in the United States - we have a budget carrier operating on vastly lower costs, and Qantas have to match their fares - the result is the lower service standards you experienced, particularly those on your SYD-CNS flight when you were in economy. The dreaded box is something we have all come to loathe, but it is still more than you get on Virgin Blue, the only alternative. And something sub-standard is surely better than nothing, is it not?

As for your CNS-SYD flight in Business Class, I have to apologise - your description of the flight is worse than anything I have experienced, and I mainly do small hops like SYD-MEL and SYD-BNE - both around about an hour. Perhaps it was the crew on the day....

Regardless of this, I am glad you both enjoyed Australia, and we would be glad to see you back - thought about popping back over for the Gaymes in a few months time?

Dave
Old Aug 22, 2002, 10:46 am
In Memoriam

Programs: Mucci
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Buster CT1K:
A. I've never seen priority boarding on Ansett or Qantas domestic Australian flights.</font>
It doesn't happen - they are strict enough with carry-on baggage that you do no need to be first on to secure bin space - so elites prefer to stay in the lounge until the last possible moment.

Dave
Old Nov 8, 2002, 2:46 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by thadocta:
Regardless of this, I am glad you both enjoyed Australia, and we would be glad to see you back - thought about popping back over for the Gaymes in a few months time?

Dave
</font>
Sigh. I'm looking back at my trip report (I had to change screen name from travellin' man because I changed e-mails, lost my password, etc. etc. etc.) and wishing I was going to the Gaymes right now. Don't mind me, I'm just reminiscing about Australia. I hope the folks down unda' right now are going to write a trip report when they get back!
Old Nov 8, 2002, 3:06 pm

Programs: NZ Airpoints GE
Travellin Man

That was a simply marvellous trip report. Well doen and thank you for those nice words about my home country. It made me proud.

This is the last day of the Gay Games. Due to work committments I have been unable to attend any of the events. I felt sooooo for the participants yesterday as the temp in Sydney yesterday was 37c (and its only november). From all acccounts it has been a resounding success

Come back soon won't you!!!!!!!

Brent
Old Nov 8, 2002, 4:04 pm

Thanks MrSydney! I have friends that went down there, (and did a little r&r afterwards at my urging), and I can't wait for them to come back.

P.S. You have a great name.

Brent

;-)
Old Nov 8, 2002, 6:18 pm

Programs: A shadow of my former self
I'm so glad you bumped this thread, biztraveller28, because I missed your fabulous report the first time around. I laughed right out loud several times... and it was great to read about you and your BF. I hope my partner & I are as fun and observant when we travel as you two. Well done!

David
Old Nov 8, 2002, 6:27 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines
Loved reading your colorful trip report...I look forward to the last installment.

:-)

------------------
Patrick A. Inouye
Old Nov 8, 2002, 6:28 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines
ooops! forgot to read the 2nd page.....

LOL

------------------
Patrick A. Inouye
Old Nov 9, 2002, 4:14 pm

Programs: UA/CO-1KPlat, MARRIOTT-LT PLAT
The best place to watch the parade is from the restaurant bar on the 2nd floor with hugh windows at a corner of the large intersecting street at Oxford. Even chairs were available or you could move from window to window.

For $150.00 a few years back, there were stacks of shrimp, shellfish, beef, etc, etc, on tables to help yourself with waiters going around with hot and cold tidbits to eat. Drinks galore including champagne and wines. The people were all very nice. Many from the States.

No need to go hungry or be thirsthy!

Old Apr 2, 2003, 6:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Travellin Man.

We may be doing OZ for vacation this July.

When I typed in Australia (search function), your trip report was the first one up.

I like your style. Very enlightening. At this point we're contemplating UA C seats.

Question for you. Two weeks in OZ, or 1 in OZ and 1 in NZ?

Dan
Old Apr 3, 2003, 2:49 pm

In 1986 I flew on Ansett between Sydney and Cairns on a 737 and we were served a hot meal; in fact on every leg of our trip.

In regards to the cold QF meal, I am sure it was no better than what Continental serves on a 4 hour flight I recently took from EWR to Denver which consisted of a cheeseburger, cheese nachos which I could not eat, and an unedible hard dark chocolate nougat peanut bar.
Old Apr 3, 2003, 2:57 pm

I flew in 1986 on QF from Sydney to Los Angeles in Y and in those days it was great. Friendly crews and nice food with big portions. I slept most of the way, which I hardly do on planes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.