A Trip in First To Sydney (Mardi Gras) on United

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A Trip in First To Sydney (Mardi Gras) on United

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2002, 11:47 pm

Programs: LH Sen // HH Dia; Bonvoy LTTE
Looking forward to your next part. Thanks.
Old Mar 19, 2002, 2:11 am

Location: Austin, TX -- AA Life Platinum; QF Life Silver; UA Silver
Great trip report and good to see another Bryson fan. I read a fair number of his books on my trip to Oz a few years back. Can't wait for his next(?) book!
Old Mar 19, 2002, 2:32 am

My favourite Bill Bryson is called (in the UK anyway) "Neither here nor there" and is about his travels around continental Europe.

He also has some books about the USA but I am told that they haven't sold well in his home country!!

Stephen
Old Mar 19, 2002, 4:12 am
rdd

Great trip report. Can't wait for the next leg
Old Mar 19, 2002, 4:49 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Travellin Man,

I've loved your reports. We did Mardi Gras last year. QF Biz over, QF F back, and both were awesome. Your trip sounds like you loved it as much as we did.

My partner and I belive that Australia is one of the most wonderful places in the world; and we met some fantastic people. I am longing to go back after reading your post. Australia is the first country I visited where I didn't feel like a "hated
American", and actually felt welcome.
Old Mar 19, 2002, 12:26 pm
Original Poster

Location: Los Angeles, CA UA Premier Exec, AA Platinum, Marriott Gold
Part 4 - "It Had To End Someday"

March 12th
SYD-LAX
United #816 (N172UA - I looked)
Depart 4:10pm
Arrive 10:30am

This is the toughest part -- saying goodbye. Australia, if you haven't gathered by now, was an absolutely incredible country to visit. The people, the parties, the things to do, the beaches, and the weather. Everything was perfect. My partner and I remarked that if there was one city we could picture moving to outside of L.A., it would be Sydney. (And I agree, they actually like Americans -- or at least hide their distaste very well).

Our final day was filled with tacky souvenir shopping near Circular Quay (kangaroo jerky and boomerangs, anyone?). I, of course, always get nervous prior to a flight, so I was fairly adamant about leaving to the airport at least 2 1/2 hours before the flight home to LAX.

We put our 54 bags in a taxi and zoomed through the freeways to the airport. The check-in area was not too busy, and this time there was a first class check-in line, rather than an office. Check-in was smooth. I asked for seats 1A and 1J, since we thought it would be nice to have a window as well as be close together. Unfortunately someone had already checked in to one of those seats, so we took our previously assigned seats, good old 4E and 4F.

Both of us were hungry, because we had skipped lunch, but we waited to eat because we knew there would be snacks in the Lounge and we would be fed copiously on the plane. We filled out our Departure cards and headed to Departure Passport Control. Of course, the line was around the block because there were all of 2 people checking boarding passes, departure cards, and passports for ALL of the afternoon international departures, including the United flights to LAX and SFO. (On a side note, I find checking your passport and filling out departure cards rather bizarre in the first place -- what's the point?)

We made it through passport control and securtiy (my other half set the metal detector off AGAIN). At this point I was carrying 5 bottles of wine in my carry-on, and another 2 bottles in my souvenir shopping bag, and my arms and shoulder were about to give out. We walked past the acres of Duty-Free stores in search of the First Class Lounge near Gate 53. We found the elevator, and I was barely able to punch the button. We made it to the Red Carpet Club/ First Class Lounge entrance, and I gratefully dropped my bags at the reception area.

I presented our tickets, and she said, "OH. You're in FIRST Class", as if it was the most amazing thing she'd ever heard. Granted, we are fairly young (27 & 29), but the one thing that annoys me more than anything is people who assume you don't belong (and we weren't even wearing tank tops and sandals!). Oh well, she recovered nicely from her shock and showed us to the First Class Lounge.

The Lounge was decent sized (much bigger than the CDG F Lounge), and it fit all of the First Class passengers for the LAX and SFO flights comfortably). Unfortunately for us, the food was not good (weird tasting finger sandwiches), the champagne was empty, and we were still hungry. We had a quick VB, surveyed the crowd (saw another gay couple apparently headed to SFO), and headed back upstairs for something to eat. Little did we know that there is NOTHING to eat in that section of the Terminal except an Asian food place, and the food you could buy at Duty Free. Oh well, we'd wait until the plane.

We headed back to the Lounge and sated our appetites with a VB. They had called the SFO flight while we were gone, so the lounge was much emptier. There was still the empty champagne bottle. I grabbed the Sports section of the USA Today to check out the NCAA conference tournament results -- UCLA had lost in the first round, boo hoo.

Finally, they announced the flight. We packed into the elevator and headed to Gate 53. They were doing the post 9/11 security checks at the gate, including the bag searches and shoe checks. After making it through the check, we marched through the waiting area, down the jetway, and turned left. This time, there was little excitement or happiness -- we were leaving. I thought I'd be ready to go home after 2 weeks, but I needed at least another 2 weeks. Sigh.

We settled in, and I took my champagne and a menu, and tried to console myself. "Maybe the plane will break before we leave." "Maybe they'll say, excuse us, we'll have to put you up here in Sydney for 3 more days while we fix it." Needless to say, it didn't happen. Meanwhile, the First Class cabin was filling up. A woman walked by, and I really wasn't paying attention, but my other half leans over and says, "Isn't that the girl from Crouching Tiger?" I looked, and sure enough, it was the younger girl (I'm not EVEN going to try to spell her name) from Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon (not Michelle Yeoh). She settled into 1A. So SHE was the reason we couldn't get 1A and 1J.

We pushed back on-time (of course) and after a short taxi behind a Malaysia Airlines plane we took off towards the East. We both unhappily said goodbye to Australia (for now).

Service started promptly. Here's the menu (sorry, but I'm going to skip the wines and drinks. They were much like the flight to SYD):

TO BEGIN
Warm grilled shrimp with chervil sauce
Risotto with Parmesan cheese

or

Smoked ham, salami and Swiss cheese antipasto
Grilled zucchini, tomato, and lemon aioli

Garden fresh salad
Tomato vinaigrette or Caesar dressing

MAIN COURSE
Filet Mignon with a mustard demi-glace
Sauteed vegetable in puff pastry and green beans

Roasted halibut with bacon and portobello mushroom ragout
Rice pilaf with onions and sauteed spinach with garlic

Country roasted chicken with jus lie
Green peas and garlic mashed potatoes

Cheese tortellini with Parmesan cheese
Roasted artichoke hearts and Gorgonzola sauce

DESSERT
International cheese sampler
Tasmanian chedar, True Blue and Camembert cheese

Ice cream with sundae toppings

Fresh seasonal fruit

MIDFLIGHT SNACK
Please help yourself to assorted treats between the two main meals. Hot sandwiches are available upon request.

PRIOR TO ARRIVAL
Your selected entree will be served with breakfast breads, butter and fruit preserve.

Scrambled eggs florentine with Hollandaise sauce
Home fried potatoes and a fresh fruit appetizer

Fresh seasonal fruit plate with creamy yogurt

Well, as good as the service was on the flight out, I can only describe the service on the way back as "business-like". The flight attendants were efficient, but not friendly. They didn't really chat beyond the minimal communication needed to take orders and asking if anything else was needed. They were not bad flight attendants, but I guess the standard had been set too high previously. They were all mature female flight attendants (apparently according to a flight attendant friend, all Australia flights are serviced by the older women).

In any case, I ordered the filet (again). This time I was not asked how I wanted it cooked. I also ordered the Australian shiraz ("one last taste of Australia"), which was excellent. My other half also ordered the filet. The movie basket was passed around. I chose "A.I.", and he chose a movie that he never ended up watching. The reason: As we were fiddling with our seats (again), we discovered that the two center seats can watch the same movie on the personal video system. You just have to change the channel, and you can watch it simultaneously. This was a good discovery, and since neither of us had seen A.I., we put that in to my video player, and both watched it.

As we started the movie, the food was deliverd. The shrimp were wonderful, and the salad was good. The filet was tender and juicy (as expected), and overall it was another great meal experience on United (who woulda thunkit?). This time (Maybe to drown my sorrows), I did partake in the hot fudge sundae. Yum. Bring on the cheese! I was voracious (having not eaten for 10 hours or so).

Our tables were cleared, and as I concentrated on the movie, I could not help but realize how much it sucked. Visually interesting, yes, but it was not engaging and the "story line" was ridiculous. "Are you the blue fairy?" Yech. I might be in the minority here, but I could NOT wait for A.I. to be over. (I didn't have much luck with movies this trip).

Mercifully, the movie ended, and we changed into our sleep clothes. The beds were made, and we settled in. Unfortunately for the man in 3J, his seat would not turn into a bed. The flight attendant disappeared and in a moment returned with a large woman mechanic (do they keep them stored back there?) who began yanking on the seat. They were at it for over a half hour, when I suppose it was determined the poor guy in 3J would have to gin and bear it. (the F cabin was full).

I finally fell into a nice sleep, but unfortunately it was brief. After only about 3 hours of rest, I woke up and could not go back to sleep. I looked at the airshow "4 hours 30 minutes to destination", sighed, and popped open my book. I happened to glance over at 3J, and somehow the guy had gotten it flat and was sleeping (as was the rest of the cabin). The flight attendant asked me if I needed anything. Since she didn't have a sleeping pill, I said no.

After an eternity, (and with about an hour to go in the flight), people were stirring, the sun was up, and we were given breakfast. Again, we both chose the scrambled eggs benedict. Unfortunately, these eggs turned out to be the aircraft eggs I so un-fondly remember. I picked most of them off and ate my "muffin-ham-spinach" benedict.

We descended into a smoggy L.A., and I have never been unhappier to see my home. It was a nice landing and short taxi, and our vacation was officially over.

Over all, the flight was OK. There was not really the first class service I had expected (and experienced on the way out). Maybe I was just in a bad mood. But in any case, overall United lived up to my expecations of what trans-Pacific first class would be. The food, service, and most of the flight attendants were excellent.

Thus, the conclusion of my trip report. This was fun. Hopefully I'll be able to do another one shortly! (and if you have any questions, just ask. I'm sure I missed a bunch of stuff). But if you liked "A.I.", I don't want to hear it. (just kidding).
Old Mar 19, 2002, 1:35 pm

Thanks, Great report! What a great place Australia is, I was there last year at this time and wish I could go back in time.

Old Mar 19, 2002, 10:48 pm

What a great trip report over all !! Thanks !

Hope you go soon on your next journey to report from it.
Old Mar 20, 2002, 10:18 am
Original Poster

Thanks guys! I hope to travel again soon (for fun). Unfortunately, my wallet is saying "no".
Old Mar 20, 2002, 11:58 am

Where can we sign up to get the adult version!
Old Mar 20, 2002, 12:33 pm

Location: New York, NY, AA 4MM PLT, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Platinum, IHG Platinum, CC Gold
Great finish. Really makes me look forward to my P class JFK-LAX-HKG-SYD-HKG-SFO-JFK flights on AA/CX -- not looking forward to Y class SYD-CNS-SYD flights on QF.
Old Mar 22, 2002, 8:19 am
Joh

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Honours Gold, KLM Gold
Great report. Makes me wish I lived there.
Old Mar 24, 2002, 6:07 pm

Awsome Trip Report...infact this was one of the best that I have read!!!

I saw A.I. last summer with my ex girl friend. She was inlove with that movie, and I was like "boooring." I pretended to like it though.

Glad you liked United. One question...did they close teh cabin curtains on your UAL flights?
Old Mar 24, 2002, 6:15 pm

Awsome Trip Report...infact this was one of the best that I have read!!!

I saw A.I. last summer with my ex girl friend. She was inlove with that movie, and I was like "boooring." I pretended to like it though.

Glad you liked United. One question...did they close teh cabin curtains on your UAL flights?
Old Mar 25, 2002, 10:11 am
Original Poster

Yeah, they closed the cabin curtains throughout the flight in both directions. I don't know if they closed them between Biz and Economy, though.

(And you can buy the adult version of the trip report. Just send $5 and a self-addressed stamped envelope to...)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.