Reload this Page >

A Trip in First To Sydney (Mardi Gras) on United

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A Trip in First To Sydney (Mardi Gras) on United

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2002, 12:27 pm

Fantastic trip report! Mr. Buster and I will be traveling to Australia in 2 weeks. I was feeling pretty pleased with ourselves for being able to get QF business class award tickets...but now I want to fly first class! Oh well, we've never flown anything other than economy internationally, so this will be a tremendous improvement.

Where did you stay in CNS? We have reservations at the Radisson Treetops in Port Douglas, but are starting to rethink that. I think we're going to try to keep any eye out on wotif.com for any last minute deals. Any other suggestions on what to do/where to stay/what to eat?

Again, great trip report, thank you!
Old Mar 14, 2002, 1:50 pm
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
travellin man: Thanks for the tips. I just ran out this morning and picked up Bill Bryson's book too.
Old Mar 14, 2002, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

letiole- be prepared for people looking at you like a weirdo when you are laughing hysterically as you read it!
Old Mar 14, 2002, 6:45 pm

Chexfan,

I was in Sydney (Mardi Gras) last year this time too! I could have been standing next to you for all I know.

My boyfriend and I arrived later than we should have, so my view of the parade was not that good. I am only 5'3 and I could hardly see over the massive crowd in front of me. However, I did have a very good time.
Old Mar 14, 2002, 7:48 pm

Sorry you got that horrible aircraft VH-NLH, an ex-BA B747 that's been leased. We locals affectionately call it 'should've Never Left Home'.

I guess that's just another story of what we Aussies will have to put up with after the demise of AN.

Thanks for the detail, enjoyed.
Old Mar 14, 2002, 10:19 pm

Fantastic report! I'm a New Yorker transplanted to Sydney and fly AA/Qantas all the time (not enough miles for an F-class trip yet) but you make me almost wish I was loyal to United/Star Alliance!

Very funny too, reading your reaction to the local and bizarre Aussie news, which after a while becomes par for the course.

Good on ya, mate!

-Ironminds (sitting in his Woollahra apartment with the doors and windows open on the sunny garden, drinking an ice-cold VB)
Old Mar 15, 2002, 12:02 am
DKM

Add me to the list of folks at Mardi Gras this year. It was my last stop on a RTW trip (Cape Town, Hong Kong, Manila, Singapore, Sydney). And I marched in the parade! A friend of mine from Philadelphia is a Sydneysider by birth, and he arranged for us to march near the front of the parade with the Sydney Anglicans. So, if you saw two people carrying the banner and dressed as Bishops, I was one. Oh yes, I was also staying at the Renaissance near Circular Key.
Old Mar 15, 2002, 11:48 am

Location: New York, NY, AA 4MM PLT, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Platinum, IHG Platinum, CC Gold
travellin man, great report. I'm going to SYD this summer on a CX 1st award via HKG and will be flying QF to CNS. Did you stay in Cairns or at Turtle Cove? After reading your report I've lowered my QF expectations even further. It'll be a nightmare flying QF steerage after CX 1st.
Old Mar 15, 2002, 2:38 pm
Original Poster

Location: Los Angeles, CA UA Premier Exec, AA Platinum, Marriott Gold
First of all, Ironminds, I'm bitter that you get to be in Australia drinking VB (my new favorite Australian beer). DKM, were you the one dressed up like the flying nun? We got to ride up in an elevator with two guys, and one of them looked like Sally Field in the Flying Nun on crack. I think I got a picture of you in the parade! AAPlatinum, yes we stayed at Turtle Cove during our visit. It was actually pretty nice (we got one of their ocean-front rooms). You can always hope that the Qantas International economy is better than their domestic product.

OK, so I'm a little later than I thought with the Qantas return report.

March 11
CNS-SYD
Qantas #569
Departed 1:55pm
Arrived 5:30pm

After a fantastic 5 days in Queensland, we really weren't ready to leave, but all good things must end (so they say). So, after all of our purchases, we piled our 52 bags into the car and headed back to Cairns (we stayed at a resort closer to Port Douglas).

Again flashing my AA Platinum card, we head to the Qantas Biz Class check-in line, which was empty. I gave the agent our tickets, and then she looked at us strangely. She looked my partner up and down and asked if he had anything to change into. We were both confused (and I thought it was rather forward of her), but then she said that since the flight was oversold we had been automatically upgraded to Business Class IF my partner had something to change into. (He was still in vacation mode and wearing a tank top and leather sandals). I guess there is a dress code in Business Class (as there probably should be, though maybe not from a resort destination such as CNS).

Well, you've never seen clothes fly out of the suitcase so quickly! He pulled out shoes, socks and a t-shirt and ran to the restroom to change. As he was leaving he said "ask for the top deck." So, I did, and she assigned us two seats in the upper deck, 17H and 17K. I realize I could have asked for a couple of the sleeper seats in the First Class section (it was a 3-class aircraft, but only 2 classes of service), but we both had minimal to no experience in the upper deck. Our bags were priority checked, and we went through security with no problem. (except my other half set off the metal detectors, as usual.)

We went into the Qantas Club. It had the same decor as the Sydney Club, just on a smaller scale. There were the usual array of juices and finger sandwiches. I thought I would be able to send postcards from there, but the woman in the Qantas Club directed me to a mailbox outside the security area, so I had to go through security twice. (Lesson - Send your postcards at Cairns Airport prior to going through security).

They called our flight, and again it appeared there was no real boarding process, just a general boarding call. Of course, we herded in with the 400 other people in the slow-moving, warm and humid jetway. I looked at the plane, and this time we had a proper Qantas plane with the Kangaroo tail. Into the plane, turned right, and then up the stairs. We were almost the first people there and took our seats. The flight attendant offered us juice or water (why no champagne?). He didn't seem too happy, for some reason. We both took juice and fiddled with our seats. The Qantas Business class seats are comfortable. We both thought the upper deck Business Class section was nicer and more intimate than the 7-across Business class below us. As people filled up the Business Class cabin, we noticed sandals and tank tops worn by several men and women. I take it the dress code is applied sporadically? It definitely made us wonder why my partner had to change (it's not like he was wearing a g-string and a toga or anything.)

We pushed back precisely on time, and after a short taxi we took off towards the South. We sniffed and said good-bye to Queensland. I hate saying goodbye. Anyway, approximately 30 seconds after take-off (I am not making this up) while we are in our steep climb out, the Captain turns off the seat belt sign and the flight attendants spring into action. We were probably climbing at a 20 degree angle and banking, and the flight attendants were holding on to the overhead bins. I appreciate the head-start on service, but it seemed a little ridiculous to say it was safe to move about the cabin so quickly!

Although the flight attendants were able to move quickly, surprisingly they didn't come around asking if we wanted drinks (Does Qantas have a problem with people drinking beverages on their aircraft?). About 30 minutes into the flight, they pulled the cart out and asked what we'd like for dinner. (No menu, sorry). The choice was chunks of lamb or a chicken salad. We both chose the lamb, and I was surprised when it was whipped out of the cart.

Let me emphasize, I am not a primadonna, or someone that expects a gourmet meal with flawless presentation at 35,000 feet. Frankly, I was happy we were upgraded at all, thankful for the comfortable seat and personal video screen. However, if I'd have paid for Business class, I would have been slightly upset. The reason is this: I managed to get my tray out, in time to receive a tray of food. There were no tablecloths offered. My tray of food had the FOIL on it. I almost laughed. I've never even had to take the foil off my meal in Economy before.

So, we each gingerly took the foil off the hot tray. The lamb and rice were fine (though small), and the salad was fine. The bread was very good. There was also a piece of chocolate about as big as the eraser of a pencil. But the presentation itself was an "F". A single tray, no tablecloth, and food covered in foil is not my idea of Business class.

He asked us what type of wine we'd want. I asked for a vodka tonic, but that was met with an icy stare that suggested he'd prefer that I'd die. "We're doing the dinner service right now, but afterwards we can get you a cocktail." Oh. OK, then, I'll have a Chardonnay.

We finished dinner, and the trays were taken away promptly. I didn't feel like a vodka tonic afterwards (which was fortunate, because none was ever offered), so I had a couple of re-fills of wine. They did ask if we wanted dessert, which relieved me as I had assumed the microscopic piece of chocolate with dinner was "dessert". There was one choice, which was fine, because it was mango sorbet, which we both like.

During the flight, I watched a variety of Australian TV (Channel 10, or Channel 9 or something like that). I also watched the Australian countryside go by outside my window. I also started a new Bill Bryson book, because the Sunburned Country book had gotten me hooked. (I already know I'll probably purchase every Bryson book out there). It's called "Notes From A Small Island" about his travels through the UK. It's not as good as the Sunburned Country book, but people very familiar with the UK will probably get a kick out of it.

My other half watched that movie with Robert Redford ("Castle" something), and he said it was great. Unfortunately, they turned off the video system prior to him finishing it, which was quite frustrating. You would think they'd have plenty of time to finish the movie on a 3 hour flight, but apparently the video system was started late, and then it was turned off rather early. Oh well, I guess we'll rent the movie to see how it ends. (United did this to me on "The Contender" last year, and I was SO frustrated because it was right at the end where the big confrontation was going to happen).

So we descended into Sydney (and don't kill me, Sydney-siders, but it was smoggy and there were a lot of crowded freeways, and frankly it looked like Los Angeles from the air.) We did the turn over the ocean and landed towards the north across Botany Bay. Our luggage was the first out again (Qantas definitely has good luggage service), and we took a taxi back to the Renaissance for one final hurrah in Australia.

Overall, I did not get a good impression of Qantas from our 2 flights. Maybe my expectations were too high. Maybe it was just bad luck in our flight attendants and service. There were plusses -- the Qantas Clubs were excellent, the baggage service was prompt, and they upgraded us. But there were BIG minusses -- The on-board service ranged from bad/hostile at worst to indifferent at best. The meals were not that good, even in Business. The boarding "process" was terrible. Perhaps internationally Qantas is very good (I've heard as such), but domestically, at least for us, Qantas left a lot to be desired.

OK, my final portion of the trip report will be next -- the return SYD-LAX in United First.

[This message has been edited by travellin man (edited 03-15-2002).]
Old Mar 15, 2002, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Can't wait for the next installment. These are great reports! Thanks very much
Old Mar 15, 2002, 5:05 pm

I really like your trip reports. I look forward to your next one.
Old Mar 16, 2002, 6:57 am
DEK

Thank you for the excellent reports! Eagerly awaiting SYD-LAX.....!
Old Mar 16, 2002, 1:24 pm

These are great reports, It's very interesting to read, since I'm probably going to be doing a near identical trip early this summer. Thanks!
Old Mar 16, 2002, 8:45 pm

Thanks for sharing your trip with us travellinman, I really enjoyed your report.
Old Mar 17, 2002, 10:47 am

Programs: QF Bronze
That service you got was a domestic Business Class. It is not comparable to the service on an international flight. Just cause its a 744 does not mean a thing these days. Its just a 737 on steroids really. Having said that I have never had a hot meal put on my tray in Business Class with the foil still on it.
Rather sadly the nice things in life here in Oz seem to be going the way of flying in the United States. No more table cloths in Business on short hops etc. CNS to SYD is
a relatively short flight so it seems it falls under these new conditions.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.