ON THE ROAD AGAIN: On The Run From Old Man Winter

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ON THE ROAD AGAIN: On The Run From Old Man Winter

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2017, 11:22 pm

Programs: AAexp, AC75k, HertzPC, NationalEE, Accor/MariottP, Hilton/HyattG
Love the little details and your story telling abilities! Always a pleasure to read. Thanks for sharing.
Old Jan 20, 2017, 4:23 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards; AAdvantage; Alaska Mileage Plan; Wyndham Rewards; Choice Hotels
Thanks for the Trip Report.
Old Jan 20, 2017, 5:28 am

Programs: AA Plat, various hotels
Ive been playing with the Amtrak website recently, trying to decide which journey to take this year. You have helped me decide. Thanks for a great report as usual.
Old Jan 20, 2017, 11:20 am

Terrific! I'd love to do a train trip, just gotta convince my wife
Old Jan 20, 2017, 11:41 am

Programs: trash airline program here
Thanks for another excellent trip report!
Old Jan 20, 2017, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
I'd like to start here by thanking all of you who've taken the time to read this report, and then after having done so, felt it worthy of a comment. I've always looked at writing these trip reports in very much the same vein I look at cooking. Give me some decent ingredients and I can whip you up a pretty passable meal.

Some might argue that flying on a regional jet to Milwaukee and then riding the rails across the frozen northern plains in January don't make for very good ingredients. Yeah, under ideal circumstances, I suppose not. There's nothing I'd like more than having a cupboard full of premium class travel experiences aboard great and varied airlines and trains whisking me off in plutocratic ecstasy to exotic lands. And sometimes I do. But not at the present. Not yet. Honestly, I just felt like writing something and this report reflects what I scrounged up in my travel cupboard. I am glad a few of you found this report "edible" though and thank you all so much once again for your kind comments.

Originally Posted by LizGross144
You make the Empire Builder sound like such a lovely experience. I've taken it from a rural Wisconsin stop (Columbus) to Chicago, and it seemed like a sad, forlorn line. Perhaps that's because it's the the last 90-120 minutes of the trip and they're winding everything down right about the time you get on.

I think you've hit it, Liz. It's no fun when so many of the services that make a ride on a train so pleasant are being closed down in preparation for arrival. You'd like to think full service could be offered at least until Milwaukee. That said, I do hope you get a chance to enjoy a longer ride on an Amtrak train someday - if not your hometown Empire Builder, then perhaps the California Zephyr.
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
In July 2016 I took the Empire Builder (roomette) from Seattle to Chicago. It was a good trip and it arrived at CHI 15 minutes early.
And in July 2017 I may be in Milwaukee for 5 days.

As I recall, Mwenenzi means "traveler" in Swahili. Glad to see you've added a ride on the Builder to your already extensive travels. Should you get back to Milwaukee in July and fancy a trip into the surrounding countryside, you could easily drive up to Wisconsin's beautiful North Woods or even light out toward Dubuque as I did. Wherever you go, happy travels, Mwenenzi!
Originally Posted by GRALISTAIR
I really need to do more train travel in the US. Only done Boston -New York on the Acela. Great report.

Seems I've heard this from you before, G. Next time you go back to Kansas City for some of your favorite BBQ, why not head out of town in a roomette aboard the Southwest Chief?
Originally Posted by jmail1
As someone who has been to Bali every year for the past 15 and loves reading your trip reports I cannot wait to read your report on my favorite place on Earth. For someone that loves interacting with people you are sure to have the time of your life, they do not make them any better than the Balinese.

Well, I'll only have three days in Bali, but call it a starter. I wish I'd gone back in the 80s when I used to spend 1-2 months at a time in Australia.
Originally Posted by dat4life
Excellent report, though I'd expect nothing less from you, Seat 2A! It was an excellent way to pass the evening here in dusty South Texas. I think you've convinced me to take a trip on Amtrak one of these days.

I hope so, dat, and thanks for the kind comments. I understand Amtrak is working on reopening the line between New Orleans and Jacksonville. A train appropriately named "The Gulf Wind" used to ply those rails. That would be a nice trip to take, especially if done during daylight hours and, as a possible extension of the current Sunset Limited, you could board right at the Amshack in downtown Houston.
Originally Posted by offerendum
Nice! The vegetarian options are indeed above average ^

Indeed they are. Amtrak's food is not gourmet, but I think its culinary council has done a great job of addressing the concerns of vegetarians over the years. As one who enjoys a good steak as much or more than the next guy, I also love a good vegetarian dish with grains like millet, amaranth, quinoa or bulger not to mention all the other more usual ingredients.
Originally Posted by tennislover9
Your commentary below the Milwaukee Brewers Park photo was beautifully written. There are some of us (including Millennials like myself) who still enjoy the experience of getting from Point A to B.

Thank you, TL9. Miller Park is a huge upgrade over the old County Stadium. See you on the rails!
Originally Posted by AKCuisine
Thanks for yet another well-written trip report, Seat 2A. It's always a pleasure to vicariously follow along on one of your journeys.

Thank you, AKCuisine! As a fellow Alaskan, I hope even vicariously I might be able to transport you to a warmer clime now and then. I heard it was -20 in Anchorage two nights ago
Originally Posted by lamphs
Yep, I read all 13,000 words. A lot of good detail and a lot of good reference info for potential trips. Thanks!

You're welcome, lamphs. And thank you! Amtrak's got an excellent website at amtrak.com but they've also got a fine brochure available with good descriptions of onboard accommodations and amenities, time tables, lots of pictures, a national map, etc. Give 'em a call at 1-800-USA-RAIL and they'll send you one for free - or, if you live near a station, stop by and pick one up.
Originally Posted by SKYEG
Love the little details and your story telling abilities! Always a pleasure to read. Thanks for sharing.

Thank you, SKYEG! Without detail, my reports would be pretty bland. The trick to trip reporting is in deciding which detail is worthy of mention. I'm glad you enjoyed ^
Originally Posted by Gatwick Alan
I've been playing with the Amtrak website recently, trying to decide which journey to take this year. You have helped me decide. Thanks for a great report as usual.

Good to hear it, GA! Where are you going? To the West Coast? Maybe a Florida Run? Wherever it be, have a great ride!
Originally Posted by farbster
Terrific! I'd love to do a train trip, just gotta convince my wife

Book at least a roomette or even better a bedroom for starters. Talk up the spectacular scenery on routes like the California Zephyr or the Coast Starlight! Once onboard, be active. Go out and mingle, enjoy the meals, enjoy the ride. Here's hoping you both have a great ride!
Per phranktzi: Thank you Seat 2A for another well written report.
Per Wickersley: Wonderful, as always, thank you Sir.
Per gaobest: Great TR - thank you! I also learned why Amtrak trains have to yield priority for cargo / freight trains.
Per Loose Cannon: Thanks for the Trip Report.
Per Gripevo: Thanks for another excellent trip report!

Given the amount of time that goes into putting a trip report together, I am most appreciative of your comments. Thank you all for your kind words! ^

Last edited by Seat 2A; Jan 20, 2017 at 11:34 pm
Old Jan 20, 2017, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Great report. When I read your report, I hear Garrison Keilor's voice for some reason.

I haven't thought about a long US train journey in many years. Might be something to consider if the price was right.

20 years ago I won a 30 day Amtrak pass for 2, but had to work, so family members used it. I believe my mom booked a family room of some sort, that all three stayed in. PHX to New Orleans, and then later to DC and NYC.
Old Jan 20, 2017, 3:01 pm
TCD

Programs: UA Gold, BA, HHonors, Avis
Great report, but it actually made my rather sad. I should hasten to add that this is entirely Amtrak's fault, not yours!

My story is that a few years back my wife had to get from New York to Vancouver for a conference. We decided to go mad and take the train the whole way (the Lake Shore Limited to Chicago then the Empire Builder to Seattle and finally the Cascades to Vancouver). The faces of our New York City friends when we explained this decision, and just how many days it would take were something else, but I digress.

Anyway, the day of our trip I get a voice mail from Amtrak saying "Your train has been cancelled, please call us if you want to discuss this further." Err, you bet I want to discuss this further! It turned out that a freight train had derailed west of Milwaukee and the Empire Builder was cancelled for a week. I can't really fault Amtrak for that, but their attitude to the IRROPS was shockingly bad. The apology free voicemail was followed up by a agent telling me that as a gesture of good will she'd refund the Empire Builder fare. How generous. She did eventually send me the offical complaint form to request further compensation but not without putting up a struggle. And how we got to Vancouver for the conference was apparently my problem, and my problem only. No interline agreements on Amtrak, it seems.

In the end the travel gods smiled on me and I managed to get two last minute award flight from Chicago to Portland to replace the missing middle portion of a journey with a pleasant overnight visit to a new city for us, so it all worked out fine in the end.

We did at least get to travel on the Lake Shore and the Cascades, but not the Empire Builder. I wonder if we ever will now, its going to be pretty hard to convince my wife to give them another chance, no matter how many trip reports like this I send her!
Old Jan 20, 2017, 3:08 pm

Programs: Meh
Enjoyed that interesting TR. Your set up was great and I almost hoping you would stick around and report on the incoming storm.

Anyway thanks.
Old Jan 20, 2017, 3:11 pm

Another enjoyable read from the finest trip report writer on FT, always a pleasure to read. Thank you!
Old Jan 20, 2017, 3:22 pm

Programs: BAEC
I do love a Seat 2A trip report! Thank you for writing another one.

Though, coming from the climate that I live in I would have relished 'hunkering down' for the storm to come as nothing happens here in Ireland year round other than grey skies and rain with either cold wind or warm wind depending on the season!
Old Jan 20, 2017, 4:18 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Thanks for the report Seat 2A ^

One of these days I really must allow more time in US to fit in a train ride. From your reports it seems to be very different experiences to NZ trains, such as the 12 hour ride up the North Island I did a few weeks ago.
Old Jan 20, 2017, 7:06 pm

Programs: QF WP LTG
Bravo Seat 2A another fine report, thank you once again for a great read.
Old Jan 20, 2017, 8:40 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Oneworld, *A; Hilton, SPG
^ Really enjoyed reading this trip report! Thanks
Old Jan 21, 2017, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Thanks again to all of you for your readership. Given the subject matter I wasn't sure how well this report would be received but I very much appreciate all of your kind comments. In response...

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
Great report. When I read your report, I hear Garrison Keilor's voice for some reason.

Thank you, JC! What is it with my voice? On my 8 hour trip into Denali Park each day, I've had many people say I have a great radio voice. Last summer I had two separate people say I could've been a baseball announcer. Holy Cow! I like to think I have a face made for radio.

I haven't thought about a long US train journey in many years. Might be something to consider if the price was right.

For sleeper accommodations in particular the prices can vary considerably from day to day. Unfortunately Amtrak's website doesn't employ a fare calendar so be sure to check multiple dates around your desired dates.
Originally Posted by TCD
We did at least get to travel on the Lake Shore and the Cascades, but not the Empire Builder. I wonder if we ever will now, its going to be pretty hard to convince my wife to give them another chance, no matter how many trip reports like this I send her!

For many, a trip by train is long enough without having to deal with major delays. Having an entire 2000 mile leg cancelled is a major as it gets and, with little means to reroute you or provide extra compensation (if the delay isn't its fault) Amtrak comes up too short for some people to ever forgive them.

That said, how often do things like this really happen? Did your wife enjoy the rides on the Lake Shore and the Cascades? If you can get her to consider another go, the scenery on the California Zephyr and the Empire Builder is very good.

HERE is a photo trip report I submitted from a trip involving the California Zephyr, the Coast Starlight and the Empire Builder. Perhaps these photos might help her reconsider... Good luck!
Originally Posted by stevie
Enjoyed that interesting TR. Your set up was great and I was almost hoping you would stick around and report on the incoming storm.

Thanks, stevie. According to my neighbor, we got through the storm with only a short 20 minute blackout. I did however have a lot of shoveling awaiting me upon my return. 15" of snow did indeed fall but at least it was fairly dry snow.
Originally Posted by view
Another enjoyable read from the finest trip report writer on FT, always a pleasure to read. Thank you!

You've placed me amidst some pretty rarified company here, view. Thanks for the kind words and I'm glad you enjoyed the report. ^
Originally Posted by noniron
I do love a Seat 2A trip report! Thank you for writing another one. Coming from the climate that I live in I would have relished 'hunkering down' for the storm to come as nothing happens here in Ireland year round other than grey skies and rain with either cold wind or warm wind depending on the season!

Thank you, noniron. Hindsight being 20-20, I too would have loved to have been comfortably sat inside during a 15" storm. I love the sound of a good windy night, preferably with heat and light though.

Here's a shot of my truck ready and warmed up just prior to my driving to the airport for this trip. The snow was just beginning, so add another 15" to what you see upon my return home.

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
One of these days I really must allow more time in US to fit in a train ride. From your reports it seems to be very different experiences to NZ trains, such as the 12 hour ride up the North Island I did a few weeks ago.

Thanks, Kiwi Flyer. From my more recent experiences (since NZR have been privatized) New Zealand's trains offer all the scenery but only a fraction of the comfort and amenities of Amtrak's long distance trains.

Years ago (1984) I rode the Southlander from Dunedin up to Christchurch. The lambswool covered seats were wide and comfortable, arranged in a 1-2 configuration. We had bar and snack service from the trolley with uniformed train attendants. There was no dining car but the usual rolls, sandwiches and pies could be purchased onboard. That was the best ride I ever had on a NZ train.

A couple of years later I rode the Silver Fern from Wellington up to Auckland. Great scenery but comparatively utilitarian comfort onboard. I would have liked to have tried the sleeper service on the Northerner but alas, it never happened for me
Per snabbu: Bravo Seat 2A another fine report, thank you once again for a great read.
Per jdtravels: Really enjoyed reading this trip report! Thanks

Thank you both! I hope both you and everyone else here get a chance to experience long distance premium class train travel someday.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.