Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A Trip To Eritrea

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2017, 2:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gaobest
Wow I'm shocked that you haven't had injera before! I imagine that you've known about Eritrean & Ethiopian food forever, esp with the injera. And I assume that you can get this in Dubai.
I've only had it here in San Francisco, where the size of injera is based on table sharing. So a party of 4 will have a larger shared injera than a party of 2, as the course will be on top of the injera.
Was the injera / course shared by other tables at the restaurant? It would be interesting if people don't share the injera in Eritrea.
Anyway glad you had it - hope you can enjoy it again.
I just shared the injera with my guide, Mehritab, plenty for both of us.
Originally Posted by Fa Hz
Impressive pics and fabulous report, thanks for sharing
Thank you, Fa Hz, just getting ready for my next adventure now.
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
As lovely as are your pictures of the land, the buildings and the food, I like your people pictures the best. Thanks for such unique and entertaining trip reports over the years, Daniel! You are a real pro! ^
Many thanks, Seat 2A. I definitely prefer the people photo's too. People you encounter and see when you travel are often much more memorable than some ornate church or a beautiful landscape. They don't see many tourists about too so the locals weren't too bothered with me sticking a camera in their general direction.
Old Jan 25, 2017, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Great report! Love the pictures. ^
Old Jan 25, 2017, 6:21 pm
DSI
formerly declinespecificinformatiom

wow, huge thanks for such an awesome report. I learned a ton.
Old Jan 26, 2017, 2:14 am

Asmara looks incredible.

It is not surprising though that a country with a dreadful human rights record even by African standards is so hard to get into.
Old Jan 26, 2017, 2:35 am

Programs: TK Gold
That was a wonderful report, I really felt I was there, it's a very dreary day here in London and your report really brightened up my day.
Your trip report was a breath of fresh air!!
Old Jan 26, 2017, 5:35 pm
Suspended

Another fantastic TR, thanks very much for sharing the adventure with us!! ^
Old Jan 26, 2017, 8:45 pm

Programs: *A Silver, AA Gold + Miles Scattered Everywhere.
thanks for another great trip report to another off the beaten path location! always enjoy reading your reports and seeing the pictures.
Old Jan 29, 2017, 2:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Calchas
Great report! Love the pictures. ^
Thanks, Calchas, yes, it was a very photogenic country.
Originally Posted by DSI
wow, huge thanks for such an awesome report. I learned a ton.
Cheers, DSI. I learn't quite few things too about this not-often heard of country.
Originally Posted by camsean
Asmara looks incredible.
It is not surprising though that a country with a dreadful human rights record even by African standards is so hard to get into.
Thank you, camsean. Yes, Asmara was very pretty. They've had the same President since independence and he seems to have everything and everyone firmly under his thumb.
Originally Posted by Sean_005
That was a wonderful report, I really felt I was there, it's a very dreary day here in London and your report really brightened up my day.
Your trip report was a breath of fresh air!!
Many thanks, Sean_005. Yes, I like to 'escape' into my previous TR's too, a good remedy for a bout of boredom or idle time.
Originally Posted by SgtRyan
Another fantastic TR, thanks very much for sharing the adventure with us!! ^
Thanks, SgtRyan. Just trying to map out another adventure now for 2017.
Originally Posted by aaron1262
thanks for another great trip report to another off the beaten path location! always enjoy reading your reports and seeing the pictures.
Thanks, aaron1262. Has been a pleasure sharing them with everyone here.
Old Jan 29, 2017, 11:25 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
In my opinion (fwiw) Daniel and sfo777 are the best trip report writers on here. Keep them coming. Where next ?
Old Jan 31, 2017, 2:17 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mike&co
In my opinion (fwiw) Daniel and sfo777 are the best trip report writers on here. Keep them coming. Where next ?
Many thanks, mike&co. Just packing my bags now for a trip to the sub-continent, Bangladesh.
Old Feb 4, 2017, 10:24 am

Programs: BAEC silver, CX gold, FB ivory
Just to say Daniel I really enjoyed this

Cheers, RTW00. Yes, I think this is only the 4th Eritrea TR on FT

I was one of those 4!
Doesnt look like much has changed over the last 15 years. I followed a similar itinerary to you but also went up to Nakfa and were able to try diving in Massawa which was great.
Thanks again for posting it was very nostalgic for me.

Last edited by zanskar; Feb 4, 2017 at 12:27 pm
Old Feb 4, 2017, 11:34 am

Programs: AY, BT, DY and SK. Scandic, Radisson, Marriott and HHonors. ClubONE
Wow, can't believe I almost missed this report. I think this must be the first time the pictures in a trip report make me feel as though I'm really there myself.
Old Feb 6, 2017, 11:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by zanskar
Just to say Daniel I really enjoyed this

Cheers, RTW00. Yes, I think this is only the 4th Eritrea TR on FT

I was one of those 4!
Doesnt look like much has changed over the last 15 years. I followed a similar itinerary to you but also went up to Nakfa and were able to try diving in Massawa which was great.
Thanks again for posting it was very nostalgic for me.
Many thanks, zanskar. Diving in Massawa must have been great. And yes, I wouldn't be surprised if Asmara looked the same in another 15 years!
Originally Posted by tsastor
Wow, can't believe I almost missed this report. I think this must be the first time the pictures in a trip report make me feel as though I'm really there myself.
Thank you, tsastor. Just getting ready for my next trip now, and to see what US border control thinks about all my previous exotic travels.
Old Feb 8, 2017, 10:17 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Beautiful, beautiful photos. Thank you for sharing and for continuing to take us all with you on these journeys.
Old Feb 10, 2017, 12:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Madone59
Beautiful, beautiful photos. Thank you for sharing and for continuing to take us all with you on these journeys.
Many thanks, Madone59. Just sussing out my next trip now. May have to get some tips from you on one of the cities on the list.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.