Wiki Posts
Search

Christmas Day in TONGA ..............

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2002, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
amanuensis likewise .. Tonga has a VERY big Mormon presence. I was amazed. And the Temples are THE grandest of anyones.

------------------
~ Glen ~ Calling all United 1K Members - please join .. www.1Kflyers.com
Old Dec 29, 2002, 3:06 pm
Original Member, Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz

I wanna go to Tonga!!!!!! Glen, email me some pictures!

------------------
Addicted to airline miles? Check out: Mileage Workshop --- "You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer." - Frank Zappa (1940-93)
Old Jan 2, 2003, 1:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Pictures?

OK, FIRST you send the $100 in unmarked bills and I mail the pictures. For another $100 you can have the NEGATIVES.

------------------
Old Jan 2, 2003, 3:21 am

Programs: LH Sen // HH Dia; Bonvoy LTTE
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ozstamps:
Pictures?

OK, FIRST you send the $100 in unmarked bills and I mail the pictures. For another $100 you can have the NEGATIVES.

</font>
I might consider to do so - in case you put a "Blue Mauritius" on the snail mail .

ozstamps, did you notice anything about the storm "Zoe"?
Old Jan 3, 2003, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

All out of Blue Mauritius this week. Will an 1856 1c British Guiana black on Magenta be OK?

Is 'Zoe' the storm that flattened part of the Solomon Islands? That has been big news in the NZ newspapers here last few days.

------------------
Old Jan 4, 2003, 10:00 am

Programs: LH Sen // HH Dia; Bonvoy LTTE
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ozstamps:
All out of Blue Mauritius this week. Will an 1856 1c British Guiana black on Magenta be OK?
</font>
Perfect. The colour of the envelope must be magenta, too !

Is 'Zoe' the storm that flattened part of the Solomon Islands? That has been big news in the NZ newspapers here last few days.
</font>
Yes, the storm "Zoe" damaged the Solomon Islands. Houses, harvest, vegetation smashed. At the moment, it seams that the people - thank Godness - survived in the mountains (as already did their ancestors).
Old Jan 4, 2003, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Some wonderful first hand reports in the New Zealand Herald on the problems here on that disaster - Jan 4 had a page on it.

www.newzealandherald.co.nz

No aid or ships or air drops in there yet, and none likely for quite a while either.
Old Jan 6, 2003, 6:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Interesting experience flying home yesterday. We were in "Business" Class on Thai Airlines 747/400.

What really surprised was the 1980s era cabin and facilities for both F and J classes in the TG 747.

This shocked us as we are booked to Madrid via Rome and BKK and back in March on TG biz class, and for 30 hours of that each way, I am not looking forward to it. At all.

The First seats looked to have pretty limited recline, and total lack of headrest adjustment, in addition to no personal videos. Any UA Biz seat on the It'l 3 class 777/747 looked far superior. The "Business" class cabin upstairs was a culture shock. There were TWENTY seats up there. Now maybe several dozen trips on United upstairs on 747's have spoiled us, but that is "high density housing" to us.

To put that into perspective, United has THREE rows from the exit row back to the magazine stand/stairs on the A/B side. Thai has FIVE rows. So clearly nearly twice as much space between rows on UA, same plane.

No PTV's upstairs. Only the 1980s pull down movie screen in front of loo showing something dreary. To get to loo for entire trip one needed to literally do a limbo dance underneath it as it was only a couple feet off the floor. Insane. Only VERY limited recline in Biz seats. NO headrest adjustment whatever ...... up, forward or with "wings" at sides. No snake lights. Hopeless footrest not worth calling one to be honest.

Flying over to NZ there were no amenity packs of any kind offered. Did not bother then, as I dislike carrying stuff on holiday. On flight BACK yesterday they gave us both a pair of socks in a plastic bag. (Mid afternoon flight.) I asked could they please find me an amenity pack, as I collect them as souvenirs. Assumed this was a simple request.

First FA I asked said he'd need to ask "the boss" and disappeared for 15 mins. Asked another FA, and got same answer. She too vanished never to be seen again, and that was pretty annoying as it was a most simple request. (Remember they ARE loaded on board ex BKK ... plane flies SYD-BKK same day.)

Ask first guy again 30 mins later when he re-appears. He says can't be done. Ask politely to see Purser. He says 'OK', and nothing happens. Getting pretty peeved by this stage so ask AGAIN to see Purser. Flight Service Director finally arrives in red coat. Says it is impossible. Amenity kits are loaded but are only for "International" flights. Mention that Aust and NZ seemed pretty different countries last time I checked, separated by a large sea.

Asked to see Purser, thinking he still might be able to salvage this Monty Python scene. He arrives, and parrots same deal. They were not going to offer an amenity pack no matter WHAT. Asked by two FA's vanished and did not respond, and he looks perplexed and says: "that is not right - sorry for that". Durrrrhhhhhhhh.

Only a small thing, but one I will remember a lonnnnnng time. And with those dreadful upstairs (and J downstairs) seats, am NOT looking forward to flying 30 hours each way with TG in March.

Have flown TG a LOT to and from and within Asia and Indo-China. Often in coach, where food and service was BETTER than these flights. MASSIVE disappointment. Looking forward to our next 747 and 777 flights in United C, which frankly kills most other product in the air seating wise, but had not realised how DATED some other planes were.

TG did NOT use Star Priority tags on bags out of AKL. Asked why and they said the circular violet TG 'Royal Orchid' ones would do the trick. They did not - and our bags arrived way after most non J/F did. All in all a very disappointing couple of flights on an airline I always liked before.

------------------
~ Glen ~

"Did you know that the word Saadam when spelt backwards becomes Madaas?" ------ ® ... Alfred. E. Neuman Esq ... © ------
Old Jan 7, 2003, 4:46 pm

Programs: Too many golds, no plat: OZ*G, AC*G, NZ*G, VA Gold, QF Gold, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold
So how were the flights on NZ? Better, I hope...
Old Jan 9, 2003, 6:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Yes, I have always found Air New Zealand to be a top act in the pointy end.

I flew Air New Zealand Biz in a 2 class 767 from Tonga to Auckland last week. Pretty big C cabin - my guess was about 34 seats like the UA 2 classer. Joh and I were the *ONLY* pax in that cabin, which was rather nice as there were 2 staffers rostered there. (And we deplaned with a bottle of Piper Heidsieck, but I digress!)

When the dessert cart was next to me I looked down and saw an entire vertical row of desserts. Probably 20. I asked why on earth they loaded that many when only 2 pax were booked and the FA replied with a smile. [i]"The WORST places on the Air NZ network to fly re upgrades are Tonga, Samoa and the Cook Islands. EVERYONE on each flight seems to be related in some way to our ground staff, and therefore there are op ugrades galore so we cater ASSUMING that will be the case."

Old Jan 12, 2003, 9:00 pm

Programs: AA PLT->GLD|HH Gold|SPG PLT->GOLD|HGP Gold|MR Silver
Glen,

I can honestly say Tonga was never on my list of places to visit... until just now. I read with great interest your cultural backgrounder from your first day in town. I'm quite interested to know what else Tonga has to visit -- i.e. major historical attractions, other activities (you mentioned snorkeling -- can you compare the quality to other destinations), etc... Very tempted to schedule a trip sometime this year.

Is there any way to get there on *A? Especially without Air NZ to AKL?
Old Oct 7, 2017, 10:47 am

Glen,

How many days would you recommend spending on Tonga?

Thanks,

Darren
Old Oct 7, 2017, 11:54 am

Programs: AA-Gold 0.425MM), AS MVP Gold, National EE, Marriott Titanium (LT-G), UA Silver
holy zombie thread....
benjahman likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.