Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Madrid to Santiago (Iberia Express) with Lightning Strike on wing included!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2017, 1:51 am
Original Poster

I share with you the trip report of my last flight from Madrid (Spain's capital) to Santiago de Compostela (north-west of Spain).

I remember perfectly that day because it was the hottest one of the summer (and of course, of the year) in Madrid and in almost all Spain. Also, that day was the last one for me living in Madrid (I've moved to Coruña, were I'm currently studing the ATPL) so I remember it well.

Apart from the extreme hot (we are talking of around 45º-46ºC at 15:00h aproximately) it was a completely normal day. My flight was departing at 11:45 from Terminal 4, so I pick the "Cercanias Train" from Nuevos Ministerios Station directly to Terminal 4 at around 9:00 (after taking the Metro from Sol). As I was leaving Madrid "forever" (I really hope to live there in the future once again) I checked-in 2 baggage so I decided to go with some margin.

The train is more efficient than the Metro (and cheaper: 2'50€ vs. 5€) if your flight departs from Terminal 4. Additionaly, this train goes over the surface, so you'll be able to see some parts of Madrid that you wouldn't see taking the Metro (Metro Line 8 is 100% under the ground).

I arrived at T4 in 30-35 minutes. Iberia's big waves are between 8:00 and 9:00 am, 15:30-16:30, and 19:00-20:00. Between those, the long-range flights depart at 12:00+ in the morning and at 00:00+ at night. So when I arrived to the check-in counters almost all passegers were flying to USA and South-America (meaning that they usually have at least 2 pieces of luggage). Despite that, the check-in procedure lasted just 10-15 minutes for me.

After a coffee at a very famous coffee shop and some walks in the terminal watching airplanes, the boarding started punctual at 11:15. Also punctualy, we started pushback and took off from runway 36L (the runway where, exactly 7 years before, the Spanair MD80 crashed). Yep, I was flying also the 20th of August. Don't worry, I'm not superstitious.

The catering in flight, as in all Iberia Express flights, was pay-to-eat ( ) and as the huge coffee I've drunk was starting to the "dehydrate me" I bought 1 Nestea por 2'5€. A little bit expensive por 33cl, but not so much compared with other airlines that charge you between 3€ and 3'50€ for the same amount of drink. (For those who don't know about the euro value, it's almost 1€=1$. I think it's a little bit more expensive 1€, but both have almost the same value right now).

After 45-50 minutes we started descent and here comes the most interesting part of the trip. Before a lightning struck us, we started to experiment some "quite heavy" turbulences. You can check the lightning strike at minute 9:00 in the video (I've put it also in slow motion).

After that, we landed normally at Santiago de Compostela, some minutes ahead of the scheduled time. Before getting out of the airplane I told to one TCP what I had seen. After thanking me for telling them, he told me he was going to comunicate it inmediately to the captain.

Both bags arrived together and without any damage. My last flight from Madrid was over.

I really hope that you enjoy the video trip report (in 4K, 2K or 1080p). If your internet connection doesn't allow you to watch it in 4K, I really recommend you 2K.

Wish you a nice day!

TRIP REPORT:
Old Jan 6, 2017, 3:46 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Sixt Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Avis First, Caesars TR Diamond, Mlife Gold
When I flew Iberia Express from BCN-MGA, I thought the experience was the most uncomfortable experience of ANY airline, I have been on, including Spirit! To me, Iberia Express is the modern equivalent to a "Flying Slave Galleon".
Old Jan 10, 2017, 2:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gkbiiii
When I flew Iberia Express from BCN-MGA, I thought the experience was the most uncomfortable experience of ANY airline, I have been on, including Spirit! To me, Iberia Express is the modern equivalent to a "Flying Slave Galleon".
Hahaha Yes, actually they don't offer the best seat pitch (in the common seats). But in the front seats they offer between 32 - 34"! But yep, those are almost always occupied by business class.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.