Reload this Page >

B Watson needs your help

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

B Watson needs your help

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2002, 2:35 pm

B Watson you are the M Stewart of FlyerTalk.

Please keep posting...
Old Oct 24, 2002, 4:05 pm
In Memoriam
Original Poster

Location: Grand Rapids, MI USA UA 1K, AA EXP 1MM, SQ PPS, BA GOLD, Hyatt D, Hertz Plat and AMEX Cent
As the saying goes, Thank you for your Support. I am concrened about dulication so I think that I need to find a new spin to the processes. In any case, I do acutally enjoy taking the time and find the excercise entertaining. The next trip will be ORD-SFO-HKG-NRT-TPE-HGK-MNL-HKG-KUL-SIN-SYD-MEL-SYD-JNB-CPT-JNB-LHR-MAN-LHR-NCE-LHR-JFK-GIG-MIA-ORD-GRR so if that does not burn me out from writing these reports, nothing will!

Old Oct 24, 2002, 4:08 pm
In Memoriam
Original Poster

Location: Grand Rapids, MI USA UA 1K, AA EXP 1MM, SQ PPS, BA GOLD, Hyatt D, Hertz Plat and AMEX Cent
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Scion:
B Watson you are the M Stewart of FlyerTalk.

</font>
In that case my next trip report will be from the Federal minimum security prison camp at... I will be commenting on the poor quality of service in the chow line, the dubious origin of the beef in the sloppy Joes and the generally poor taste of the furnishings
Old Oct 24, 2002, 6:14 pm

Programs: "Only" 50,000 TPs until BA GGLfL
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by B Watson:
In that case my next trip report will be from the Federal minimum security prison camp at... I will be commenting on the poor quality of service in the chow line, the dubious origin of the beef in the sloppy Joes and the generally poor taste of the furnishings </font>
Does this mean I can finally buy the new B Watson equity investor strategy book in Kmart?

[This message has been edited by alexwuk (edited 10-24-2002).]
Old Oct 24, 2002, 7:50 pm

My vote is snob.

Your reports, I'm sure, are indeed a lot of work, but the payoff is that they bring a lot of laughs and smiles across FlyerTalk.

Please continue.
Old Oct 24, 2002, 8:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by B Watson:
The next trip will be ORD-SFO-HKG-NRT-TPE-HGK-MNL-HKG-KUL-SIN-SYD-MEL-SYD-JNB-CPT-JNB-LHR-MAN-LHR-NCE-LHR-JFK-GIG-MIA-ORD-GRR so if that does not burn me out from writing these reports, nothing will!</font>
As long as you keep flying routings like this, very few of us will devalue your Trip Report currency.

Zorro of course makes some very valid observations, but let me add a couple more:

1.) In Trip Reports, you're dealing with an audience that enjoys air travel to the extent that they actually go out on the internet to read about it as well as post reports of their own travels. How many of your business associates and friends in everyday society do that, either at FT or elsewhere?

2.) Last time I checked, the Trip Reports forum had 772 topics and 8,541 responses to those topics. The interest level is high. While continued writing about flying First Class on Singapore, Cathay Pacific et al. may run the risk of boring some readers who've been there and done that, most of us will look forward to your reports. Remember, people who read Trip Reports are into this stuff more than the average Joe.

3.) Although Zorro may travel in First Class out of necessity, for the majority of us it's a luxury obtained through either an award or an upgrade. Most of the International First Class reports I've read of here are nowhere near as extensive as yours. Through you, we get to experience, if only vicariously, the ultimate in commercial air travel.

4.) While you and I are hardly likely to ever share a bottle of wine together, I for one think your observations/complaints are right on. Even if, given the air travel industry's economic woes and our nationwide diminishing work ethic, your expectations are unrealistic, they are certainly no less worthy. I at the very least enjoy reading about those airlines that approach your expectations and I will most certainly look forward to reading about the airline that may actually meet them someday. Now THAT would be a real treat!

Write on, B Watson, write on!

Old Oct 24, 2002, 9:05 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by onedog:
SNOB

If someone is going to give you grief about being a SNOB, hell, please provide us with what you are actually paying for all this travel. I wouldn't mind knowing how much your hotel rooms at the (insert super high end luxury accomodation here) cost or how much a bottle of some high priced booze is costing vs. what the bottle of swill they are pouring costs. I want the full WOW factor so I can tell people that I know someone (in a virtual sense of course) who pay $xx,xxx for their flights and $x,xxx for their hotels etc.). Sort of like an online version of "Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous."

[This message has been edited by onedog (edited 10-24-2002).]
</font>
Hey Man..

One of my two best friends fits your description perfectly. Whenever we meet up, I'm always regaled with his trips to the best hotels, via seat 1A on BA, and being met with hotel limos, etc etc... ...

He is from a VERY VERY prominent US family, and conversations along the lines of, "If you want to meet up for the weekend, then you should send your private jet for me. I don't feel like flying scheduled at the moment... ...", are not out of place. (He actually had this chat a while back when we were having coffeee in Harvey Nicks... the table next to us went VERY silent, VERY quickly as they leaned PERCEPTIBLY forwards to catch every syllable.) It was his childhood friend calling from NCE saying the yacht was there and would WE like to join for the weekend...

Other things like comparisons of Presidential Suites, Vacheron-Constantin timepieces, are now common place... ...

HOWEVER, one thing to bear in mind with this is that my friend NEVER shouts his wealth. If you know where to look, you will see his family heritage, but he's actually quite low key... the black AMEX is there, of course, but only used in certain circumstances...

(This, I feel, is how B Watson conducts himself... ...)

A mitigating circumstance is when he throws a party at his London house. It's a six storey affair in a grade 1 listed building, and there's free flow champagne and fresh canapes ALL night. (He has a chef and house staff come in to cater)... it's DECENT champagne, (but he keeps his Krug supply for us lucky few), and they are the talk of town.. ...

Or the time he rented a property in Barbados for three months at a cost of 10000STG per week... I was in SIN at the time, and couldn't go, but the photographs showed lots of (known) people having a jolly good time... ...

Real money whispers

Mike
Old Oct 24, 2002, 10:21 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Globalist UA 1K MM, Delta Diamond
Mike,
Well Said!
Old Oct 25, 2002, 3:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Those are in fact the hotels I use in SA - both are fantastic BTW - I will offer details after the trip but I would encourage you not to get taken in by the reputation of the Cape Grace - they must have the best PR people in the world but are a significant step behind the Nellie. </font>
Interesting. I am, in fact, this very minute staying at the Park Hyatt in Rosebank. My choices were between the Grace in Jo'burg and the Park Hyatt. The Park Hyatt is not quite up to the usual PH standards, really, but for $90 a night (FG300 special rate), I really can't complain. The Grace was quoting quite a bit more, and the Westcliff is too far from the office.

Glad to hear about the Mount Nelson. Had my choice of the Cape Grace and the MN, and the best rates were at the MN, so I took that instead. Will be there next week. Wanted to stay at the Cape Grace, but I'll take your word for it that the MN is the best choice. I've stayed at the Copacabana Palace in Rio, also an Orient Express hotel, and I thought it was fantastic. I loved the pool scene, and the rooms were top notch.
Old Oct 25, 2002, 4:45 am
In Memoriam
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Pickles:
Interesting. I am, in fact, this very minute staying at the Park Hyatt in Rosebank. My choices were between the Grace in Jo'burg and the Park Hyatt. The Park Hyatt is not quite up to the usual PH standards, really, but for $90 a night (FG300 special rate), I really can't complain. The Grace was quoting quite a bit more, and the Westcliff is too far from the office.

Glad to hear about the Mount Nelson. Had my choice of the Cape Grace and the MN, and the best rates were at the MN, so I took that instead. Will be there next week. Wanted to stay at the Cape Grace, but I'll take your word for it that the MN is the best choice. I've stayed at the Copacabana Palace in Rio, also an Orient Express hotel, and I thought it was fantastic. I loved the pool scene, and the rooms were top notch.
</font>
The Cape Grace is a very nice hotel, but just does not raise to the level that it is often accorded. However, the Nellie is very much classic colonial feeling - a GREAT time warp. The regional MD for Orient Express is a chap by the name of Nick Seewer - if you run into him feel free to mention that I recommended the hotel -

Strangely enough, I will also be at the Copacabana Palace on this trip
Old Oct 25, 2002, 5:15 am

Let's cut to the chase, B Watson: would you be willing to provide us with the $$ value of one of your trip reports?

Not on your readers' terms (because that will vary from person to person), but on your terms.

For example, consider your most recent report. What would be its direct costs? -- that is, the time you spent multiplied by your hourly rate, plus the direct costs of anyone else who was involved (I think you mentioned that someone might transcribe your tapes, for example).

Old Oct 25, 2002, 5:21 am
In Memoriam
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by wideman:
Let's cut to the chase, B Watson: would you be willing to provide us with the $$ value of one of your trip reports?

Not on your readers' terms (because that will vary from person to person), but on your terms.

For example, consider your most recent report. What would be its direct costs? -- that is, the time you spent multiplied by your hourly rate, plus the direct costs of anyone else who was involved (I think you mentioned that someone might transcribe your tapes, for example).

</font>
This is one of those calculations that I leave undone since the results would scare me
Old Oct 25, 2002, 6:52 am
BDL

Programs: Delta GM
Full SNOB ahead!
Old Oct 25, 2002, 8:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

If we check the number of trip reports done on CX or SQ First Class service, someone might come to the conclusion that nobody should ever bother writing another trip report about it.

But every trip report is unique in some way, and the narrative is at least as entertaining as the details. We notice different things, and the service is evolving and changing.

I don't find it repetitive at all to read reports which share 80% of the same details, because that unique 20% of content.
Old Oct 25, 2002, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Earned status with AA, DL, SPG, HH, Hyatt, Marriott, Seabourn, NCL, National, Hertz...I miss my bed!
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Plato90s:
But every trip report is unique in some way, and the narrative is at least as entertaining as the details. We notice different things, and the service is evolving and changing.
</font>
I, for one, write trip reports ALL the time. Heck, I even jot down notes about the really dull 200 mile domestic trips I do. I just don't post them all on FT for fear of boring you all to death with the dullness of my life.

If I had B Watson's life, however, I would be posting a daily summary of my doings.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.