First Class on Amtrak's Coast Starlight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First Class on Amtrak's Coast Starlight

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2002, 3:53 pm

Programs: AA GLD, Marriott PLT, Hilton Diamond
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Arnur:
jsmeeker - I took the train ride from Toronto to Vancouver on Via Rail back in 1995 and must say it was a very memorable ride. Take it if you can and treat yourself to a sleeper. We had to rough it in coach but it was still a lot of fun.</font>
Yeah... That is the only way I would consider it.

BTW, didn't the Coast Stalight derail today ot last night?

Old Aug 22, 2002, 4:24 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Elevate, AAdvantage, Mileage Plus
Glad somebody bumped this, because I must have missed this back in January. At any rate, great report! I'm a major rail buff, and I've taken the Coast Starlight numerous times between Seattle and San Jose and San Jose and Los Angeles. Thus far, the train has never once arrived on-time, but the food and service have always been excellent.
Old Aug 23, 2002, 12:48 pm
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
Travelweary also had a glowing report of her adventure on the Coast Starlight from Seattle to Santa Barbara. (Unfortunately, I can't find her trip report right now.)

It's got to be one the best travel-award bargains out there.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 6:57 pm

Programs: All of them!
I am going from SEA to Oakland, CA in early April (in F) and can't wait!
Old Mar 19, 2014, 6:57 am

Great trip report. This coming November I'll be on the London to Paris Eurostar for the first time. I've never been on Amtrak, maybe I'll give it a try. It sounds like you had a marvelous time.
Old Mar 19, 2014, 8:16 am

Programs: Former 1K turned UA Kettle
nice report. I enjoy reading TRs that differ from the usual F on an Asian carrier/LH
Old Mar 19, 2014, 11:31 am

Programs: AA Plat,AS MVP Gold, Hilton Gold, Accor Plat, Amtrak(all routes, VIA same, AUS 90%)
CS can't be beat

Originally Posted by cs57
I am going from SEA to Oakland, CA in early April (in F) and can't wait!
I tease my non-Amtrak friends by relating: took UA FC ORD-LAX, then on CS up to Portland, two minutes there, boarding the Empire Builder back to CHI. "What, following a 4 hour flight, you took 4 days, 3 nights to get home."
Precisely the point-20K AGR redemption. So nice that shortly I will be doing GBB-SAC-SEA(flyers, these are Amtrak abbrevs) to catch the Cascades that I missed on earlier trip-another 20K redemption-and for two, if anyone wants to tag along, PM me(I'm serious).
Trivia contest tip(when in Parlor Car for wine tasting): "who was president when Amtrak was created?" You will win a bottle of pretty good wine.

Happy Trails!

Last edited by jake108; Mar 19, 2014 at 11:32 am Reason: Happy Rails(!) intended
Old Mar 19, 2014, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Wow - It's hard to believe this report was written over twelve years ago! Well I'm glad you're all enjoying it anew but I would like to bring you up to date on a couple of changes that have come about since this report was originally published.

First off, Alaska Airlines and Amtrak are no longer partners, so that great 20000 mile award is no longer available. Over the years I cashed in six of those awards on this train and who knows how many more I would have subsequently redeemed had the partnership continued.

Secondly, Seattle's King Street Station has undergone considerable renovation since this report was written. Click HERE for a great website detailing the efforts undertaken to restore this station to its former glory. The "Before and After" link does a great job of showing the contrast between the dingy old station I experienced in this report and the beautifully restored station you'll enjoy today.

Finally, Amtrak's beautiful Pacific Parlour Cars are twelve years older - making them about 60 years old - and maintenance issues tend to affect their inclusion on the Starlight more and more these days.

That said, the Coast Starlight is one of the more scenic trains in Amtrak's system. I've logged 38 rides totaling over 30000 miles aboard the Starlight and I still appreciate the beautiful vistas along the way. In fact, I've got First Class accommodations already booked from LA up to Seattle next month. Here's wishing you all a great ride on the Starlight or another Amtrak train someday!

By the way, if any of you are interested in the scenic aspects of riding Amtrak, HERE is a photo report detailing a trip I took aboard the California Zephyr, Coast Starlight and Empire Builder last May.

The pictures below were all taken from aboard The Coast Starlight

Coastal splendor north of Santa Barbara

Morning view of Mt. Shasta

The Pacific Parlour Car

Chipotle Black Bean Burger with Bacon

Superliner Bedroom

Last edited by Seat 2A; Mar 19, 2014 at 11:49 pm
Old Mar 19, 2014, 3:14 pm

Programs: BA Gold, VS Silver
I'm taking the Coast Starlight from LA to Seattle next month and have greatly enjoyed reading your trip reports.

It's very timely for you to bump this old report, as I just got an email from Amtrak today with notice of a downgrade in the food service on the train. Seems like they will be dropping down to the normal Amtrak food service and getting rid of the extras (like the cheese and wine tasting) that they offered on this train.
Old Mar 19, 2014, 3:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by Farringdon
I just got an email from Amtrak today with notice of a downgrade in the food service on the train. Seems like they will be dropping down to the normal Amtrak food service and getting rid of the extras (like the cheese and wine tasting) that they offered on this train.
Click HERE for an interesting article detailing some of the broader issues behind these cuts. I know of only two trains that had the complimentary wine and cheese tasting - the Coast Starlight and the Empire Builder. The Auto Train might be another. Regardless, First Class passengers are allowed to bring their own alcohol on board, and ice is available to chill any cheese you might also wish to accompany your wine. Have a great ride!
Old Mar 19, 2014, 6:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
I too am glad that this thread was bumped and appreciate the original, wonderful TR. Seat 2A, are you simply paying for these trips with $$$ now or are there any point redemption opportunities (beyond Amtrak's own points)?
Old Mar 19, 2014, 11:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Thunderroad
Seat 2A, are you simply paying for these trips with $$$ now or are there any point redemption opportunities (beyond Amtrak's own points)?
For the most part I am using miles, though every once in a while a great deal comes up. Last May, I booked a roomette from Los Angeles up to Portland for just $286.00. In times of high demand, that same roomette can go for over $600.00. I also use Amtrak partners to accrue mileage, such as Wyndham Rewards and many different online merchants, some of which give upwards of 5 points for every dollar spent.

You can explore the many possibilities at the Guest Rewards website. Just click HERE and ye shall be delivered to a wide range of earning possibilities.

Last edited by Seat 2A; Mar 20, 2014 at 12:00 am
Old Mar 20, 2014, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
For the most part I am using miles, though every once in a while a great deal comes up. Last May, I booked a roomette from Los Angeles up to Portland for just $286.00. In times of high demand, that same roomette can go for over $600.00. I also use Amtrak partners to accrue mileage, such as Wyndham Rewards and many different online merchants, some of which give upwards of 5 points for every dollar spent.

You can explore the many possibilities at the Guest Rewards website. Just click HERE and ye shall be delivered to a wide range of earning possibilities.
Ah, didn't know about those point transfer options. Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.