Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A Trip To Canada

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2016, 8:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by grandgourmand
DanielW...fantastic TR. I am biased as i'm from Canada. But really happy to see you do the trip justice with some amazing photos. Makes me want to visit my own country!

Also...I noticed you ate poutine twice. your first description of it as an "interesting experience" made me think you didn't like it. Definitely not an every day thing...but I love the stuff (the tim horton's...not so much).
Many thanks, grandgourmand. I definitely liked the poutine! I was just a bit overwhelmed by the tsunami of carbs and fat on my first try. Having a smaller portion along with some protein on my second taste was certainly a bit more agreeable though.
Originally Posted by Pjack94
Great trip report DanielW, your photo's remind of my trips to Eastern Canada in the past.
Thanks, Pjack94. Hopefully you had a great trip too.
Originally Posted by mkjr
Great pics. Love the dealer using the old school payphone...I am sure the scents in Kensington were not merely bread and great food but lots of weeds being burned.

What is interesting is that you are the pax that AC says don’t exist…those that fly to Canada and apparently AC has managed to convince our former government that EK is just a ferry for business to be taken away from AC…and hence, only 3 flights a week.

Most locals have come and gone from St. Lawrence by 10am (we are usually done and gone by 9…[live about 500m walk to the market…] nice shot of the wedding party outside of St. Pauls Basilica in YYZ…I suspect the waiting list to get married there is also long…. Love seeing all the rio tinto lanyards. Reminds me of a buddy of mine who is senior commercial lawyer for them in London.
Thank you, mkjr. Yes, it was quite strange with the Canadian govt. being so restrictive on ME3 flights. Only allowing three flights a week to the whole country sounds more like politics rather than economics.

Living so close to St. Lawrence Market must be very sweet! The guy on the phone asked me for his photo, wearing sunglasses in the rain seemed quite unusual too.

I used to work for Rio too so was abit nostalgic with the logo's everywhere.
Originally Posted by broenor
Another fantastic trip report! You always manage to capture the essence of what at least I love about travel; discover new places, seeing interesting sites, people watching, food and so on...
Thanks, broenor. I'm always looking where next to poke my camera when I travel. It means plenty of pics to sort through but also hopefully a good overview of what there is to see in a new place.
Originally Posted by Madone59
Another wonderful trip report. Thank you DanielW! It's a shame Rio didn't allow photos on your smelter tour though .
Many thanks, Madone59. Yes, I guess they were worried about us taking pics of anything top secret.
Originally Posted by fivevsone
awesome trip report to a place most of us (like me!) hardly think of as a super cool destination.

Thanks a lot.
T
Cheers, fivevsone. Yes, an outsiders view can make us look at places in a new and interesting light.
Originally Posted by blueferrari
Quebéc City looks beautiful and captivating by your photos.

Great report as always, Daniel.
Thank you, blueferrari. Yes, Quebéc City was a very pretty place. I think the photo's have convinced Gerald and Esther to make another trip back again after many years too.
Old Dec 7, 2016, 11:15 am

Programs: Various
Great report as usual. You really have a way of finding interesting things to photograph.

I'm sort of warming up to the idea of going to Canada and your report did nothing to change my mind. Time to check how to get NHL tickets...
Old Dec 7, 2016, 12:00 pm

Programs: AC E75K
Originally Posted by Fredrik74
Great report as usual. You really have a way of finding interesting things to photograph.

I'm sort of warming up to the idea of going to Canada and your report did nothing to change my mind. Time to check how to get NHL tickets...
Get some Sens tickets to watch Karlsson in Ottawa (I assume you're Swedish). Sens tickets are among the (if not the) cheapest and easiest to come by in Canada.
Old Dec 7, 2016, 12:25 pm

Programs: FT

Just PM me when you are coming. I usually have half a seasons to the leafs. More than happy to sell at cost although I sit up in the rafters...having spend a year living in GOT, i think you'd enjoy yourself like i enjoyed my time in Sweden immensely...although as a student it was pretty expensive to drink.
Old Dec 8, 2016, 8:46 am

Programs: BAEC and Hilton mostly
The thing I like about FT (first of several, anyway) is the TR section, and the way you just know that certain posters will have nailed it for any place on earth you might dream of visiting. DanielW - you are one of those posters! Nice to see you're getting a bit of luxury travel on this one I've only done Western Canada, and the East is on my to-do list...
Old Dec 8, 2016, 4:13 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Skymiles, Mileage Plus, BA Executive Club, WorldPerks
Another fabulous report. Thank you.
Old Dec 8, 2016, 4:36 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, National EE, AS MVP Gold 75K, AC 75K
As someone who travels between Toronto and Montreal, you've seen more people using a payphone than I have LOL
Old Dec 9, 2016, 5:57 am
Original Poster

Thank you, Fredrik74. I actually just missed out on the World Cup of Hockey and there were quite a few posters about in Toronto when I was walking downtown. An NHL games sounds like a great idea for your trip to Canada too.
Originally Posted by Tocsin
The thing I like about FT (first of several, anyway) is the TR section, and the way you just know that certain posters will have nailed it for any place on earth you might dream of visiting. DanielW - you are one of those posters! Nice to see you're getting a bit of luxury travel on this one I've only done Western Canada, and the East is on my to-do list...
May thanks, Tocsin. Definitely recommend eastern Canada, especially the French-speaking part. All going to plan another taste of EK J may be on the cards for 2017 too.
Originally Posted by ss278
Another fabulous report. Thank you.
Thanks, ss278.
Originally Posted by GateGuardian
As someone who travels between Toronto and Montreal, you've seen more people using a payphone than I have LOL
Yes, I was surprised that payphones still exist outside of the movies. Can't imagine they make any money for the phone companies anyway(?).
Old Dec 13, 2016, 1:43 pm

Programs: United Premier, EK Skywards Blue, AAdvantage, Delta SkyMiles, Lufthansa Miles & More, Aeroplan
This was impressive! As far as I can remember, I've only been to Toronto and Vancouver. Hopefully, next time I go to Toronto, I can persuade my uncle to take me to Montreal or Quebec City!!
Old Dec 14, 2016, 1:55 pm

Great TR! Always nice to see where I live (Montreal) through the eyes of a tourist!
Old Dec 14, 2016, 2:52 pm

Programs: VA, SQ, IHG, HH,ALL, Europcar
Great Trip Report

You have to wonder about Canada protecting their flights - does AC have lots of flights to the ME?

If they opened up the skys - maybe it would be a good thing financially - more tourists - more movements.

I have read of lots of Canadians who do a land border crossing and then pick up great deals, eg fly out of Bellingham for a domestic in the US rather than fly out of Vancouver and save lots of $$

So this policy is most likely just hurting Canadians
Old Dec 15, 2016, 1:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 082095
This was impressive! As far as I can remember, I've only been to Toronto and Vancouver. Hopefully, next time I go to Toronto, I can persuade my uncle to take me to Montreal or Quebec City!!
Thank you, 082095. Yes, francophone Canada is a cool place to visit, subtle mix of North America with a splash of Europe.
Originally Posted by WestAust
Great TR! Always nice to see where I live (Montreal) through the eyes of a tourist!
Thanks, WestAust. Yes, I really loved Montreal, quite an easy going and very interesting place to just walk around and take in the cool vibe.
Originally Posted by adampenrith
Great Trip Report

You have to wonder about Canada protecting their flights - does AC have lots of flights to the ME?

If they opened up the skys - maybe it would be a good thing financially - more tourists - more movements.

I have read of lots of Canadians who do a land border crossing and then pick up great deals, eg fly out of Bellingham for a domestic in the US rather than fly out of Vancouver and save lots of $$

So this policy is most likely just hurting Canadians
Many thanks, adampenrith. Coming from NZ where there is four EK A380's parked at AKL every evening, it is quite strange with Canada taking the opposite stance and restricting the flights so severely.

There is a 3x weekly AC YYZ-DXB flight using a 787.

From what I can gather, the Canadian govt. is keen to protect AC and restrict Indian-Canadians (~4% of the population) from using EK flights to fly to DXB and on to India, so they have to use direct AC flights or fly via Europe instead.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.