SFO-BKK on UA in C - just a couple of notes

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2002, 7:36 am
Original Poster

SFO-BKK on UA in C - just a couple of notes

Feb 25 SFO-NRT-BKK UA 837/875 15A / 11B
Mar 7 BKK-NRT-SFO UA 838/876 11B / 15A

Just a few notes:

- All 4 segments were standard C class experiences on UA. Everything worked, the FA's were very competent and reasonably cordial, the food looked good but wasn't great, flights were right on time, etc. Near-perfection yet nothing special about it.

- Love that shower at the Narita RCC.

- Love my cheap Aiwa noise-cancelling headset. I sleep much better with them on.

- This was my second stay at the Siam Inter-Continental in Bangkok. Got a suite for US$125 net using UA coupons. This is a true suite, with the second room as a living room with it's own TV and bathroom. The main room has a big raised jet tub plus a great shower, dual sinks, bidet, etc. There is another small offset room just big enough for two chairs and a table with fruit and chocolates. Two walls are all glass with louvered shades. This low-rise hotel is on an enormous property, shockingly large in downtown Bangkok. It is a real oasis, yet it borders the Siam station of the terrific new Skytrain. I'm sorry to report that in June the hotel will close and be razed for the construction of a shopping mall. Sad to see it go.

- The Royal Gardens is the only top-notch hotel in central Pattaya. I got a seaview room through AsiaTravel for US$117 net. Marriott has just taken over the property. Too bad they no longer honor UA hotel certs. The room is ordinary and the bathroom is small, but this hotel is the only place to stay if you value convenience. It is on the beach road, and on the first floor it connects to the Royal Gardens shopping mall (food, Internet cafe, movie theatre, etc.).

- For the first time, I took a pillow with me. King size, down-filled, very thin. Mostly because I get a stiff neck sleeping on the thick dense foam pillows in many hotels. I needed it at the Marriott, but not at the I-C. I also sat on it on the plane and found that it made a terrific difference. Much less squirming! When I was at the airports I had the pillow folded over my shoulder bag. It was a minor hassle to carry but well worth it. I would have been a little self-conscious but I swear I never saw anyone who seemed to notice.
Old Mar 9, 2002, 4:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF FB Platinum For Life (F+ Rouge VintageŽ) / Hertz President's Circle / SNCF Grand Voyageur Le Club
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">I would have been a little self-conscious but I swear I never saw anyone who seemed to notice.</font>
That's what you think!

Thanks for this report. I enjoyed it. What were the loads like on your flights?
Old Mar 9, 2002, 7:24 am
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2"> That's what you think! </font>
You're right, I was doing my best not to notice that they noticed.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2"> What were the loads like on your flights?</font>
I can't comment on Economy, but F and C were 100% on all 4 segments.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.