Wiki Posts
Search

FIRST FT TRIP REPORT AA/BA

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2002, 3:19 am
Original Poster

FIRST FT TRIP REPORT AA/BA

PART 1, WILL CONTINUE OVER A PERIOD OF TIME
Hey everyone. I have thrown on here a couple of trip reports that I have done elsewhere, but this is my first for FT.

I did an American Airlines mileage run, hence will post at Trip Report and AA, maybe BA. I would very much appreciate your thoughts and critiques, thanks.

The overall itinerary was LAX-MIA AA 777 BUSINESS, MIA-LHR AA 777 PEE-ON
(COACH), BA A319 LHR-AMS (ALL COACH FOR THE REMAINDER), BA(BRITISH REGIONAL IN BA COLO(U)RS EMBRAER AMS-MAN, BA 733 MAN-LGW,
BA 735 LGW-CDG, BA A319 CDG-LGW, AA 777 LHR-JFK, AA 767-200 JFK-LAX.

This was my first long haul trip after 9/11, arrived back from Down Under right after 9/11, but wasn't nervous about Qantas. Also, they had just started the new baggage checking rules, so that added some salt to everything. Also, when I was booking this thing, had booked, courtesy hold, that Reid guy was lighting his shoe on an AA flight from CDG to MIA. That was a challenge to go ahead and do this, but I am glad that I did. For anyone who has elite status, I assume most of you are and everyone on the AA board seems to be in the same boat as me, AA Platinum or other AA elite, you know how important this stuff is.

Anyway, I started out LAX-MIA 777, Business Class, very nice. Easy check-in. Tried to schmooze a free upgrade out of the agent, the only time I dressed up for it on this trip, and she explained that since 9/11, no more free upgrades, no more first class ticket jackets, etc., and a whole bunch of other things have gone bye! No more magazines onboard or in the Admirals Club, save American Way. Looks tacky and cheap, but I always bring my own.

To my surprise, no special baggage check at LAX, bags were off, and off to the Admirals Club, which I have access to on an int'l itinerary. Again, no magazines, some left over newspapers, free magazine-promotional(crap) and American Way, all very tacky and cheap. Oh well. Had a couple of drinks then off to MIA. It was nice to get airside again, a no-no since pax only after 9/11. Hate that rule. The whole world, save the Aussies(whom I love), do pax only to the gates. The Kiwis started as of 9/11. Maybe someday they will figure out that any dipstick can go buy a ticket, go airside, and then leave. DUH! I, ah, kind of, sort of, did that during the Gulf War, can't keep me from my lounges. So far, haven't found the need, but if I need to, it is an option. They have actually made it very easy to sneak airside(think e-ticket, hmmmmmm).
Gee, like terrorists would never think about it. Incredible!!! Anyway, the pax only rule is un-American. It is a Euro/Canadian rule that leaves the airside in Terminals empty and underused, and can create havoc for people trying to see/greet loved ones. Was the case with my fiance, making a difference of about an hour with her, but I digress.

Anyway, good to be airside again. So many shops there, nothing in the public area. Almost depressing to go to LAX, save Bradley, to visit.

Boarding was easy, wasn't profiled, YEAH!!! Said *CLR* on my boarding pass, so as a loyal Platinum they must like me. The seat was great, 60" of legroom, and just very comfy. The negative, I get to sit next to cell phone man(yes, I have a cell phone and love it!), but this was ridiculous. Non-stop yacking from the time I boarded til they closed the door. Then he pulls out the airphone and more yacking. Drove me literally insane. I was looking for a seat to move to, but all windows were taken. This guy just never shut up, oh my! One of my turnoffs to Business Class, cell phones, laptops, and their crap all over the place, and usually not very friendly. I put my headphones on, pulled out Business Traveler, and tried to ignore him. It wasn't easy.
I think he called everyone he ever knew. UGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Some kid tried to give himself a free upgrade. They caught him, kicked him back to coach, but they were good sports about it. He was dressed in a very tacky way, which I don't care, but if you're gonna try to sneak up there, hey, dress the part dude! FYI, there were several empty seats in the middle, rare for AA Bus.

We had a 2 hour delay, so killing off any free time in MIA, but was relieved that I didn't have any connections. Many were stressing out as they had connects to South America. What I hated was the BS. They kept making announcements, another 20 minute delay, etc...etc..finally after 2 **** hours, we're off......I get mad cause that stuff happens all the time....Also, cell phone man made it worse....

The flight was great, flying across the Southern US, they had the map, going out over Louisiana over the Gulf of Mexico. There were thousands of boats and ships out there, cool. Haven't seen that since Asia, a nice sight to see again.

The food was great. Sorry, I give all menus to a friend in Paris and they are long gone. The usual AA chicken, salad, and then tiramisu, with a nicely given sundae on top(asked for), love their sundaes, but have to say the Tiramisu was very good as well. Very good orange juice, as AA doesn't serve Perrier, . Unfortunately, my first time with the plastic yuckware.
All plastic, was surprised for a domestic US flight, expected it for the UK.
It was a nicer set than in coach, so, whatever... It is just tacky for upfront, I don't care about it in the back, and fewer things to, ah, "borrow" . Hmmm I can assure you it is more economical than safety, but they will never admit it.

They had the usual IFE/ personal video, which everyone has(on the 777 and Airbus), by the way.
AA's IFE is not the best, with CBS Eye on America (I hate CBS so much!!!!
where is NBC when you need them ? ) and tons of I love Lucy. Can we get some more sitcoms please? To my delight, they had a Japanese audio channel which I enjoyed and listened to the majority of the trip, as well as some Brazilian music. Hey, the plane was going on to Rio, so why not? Had one Japanese song going through my head the whole trip. Would be terrible if they had some Euro music on there!? UGH

Again, the service was good, lot's of refills on the drinks, and gave a few SOS(Platinum comment cards) to one F/A, who was just great. She gave me the extra sundae. They also did a cookies and milk service prior to landing, which I love, but like with JFK, they always wait way too long to do that service and I know the F/A's take home half of them. Let's see some seconds, please.

We had a cool approach into MIA, straight in from the West. You could see the lighted bridge out to Key West, yes at night. Love flying into this airport. After landing you can feel the humidity, the windows steam up, etc. I was the last to get my bags as I had to look around a bit. They completely re-did the baggage claim from last time, interesting. Picked up some Cuban food, not bad. It is weird to need to speak Spanish there, but it is fun. I took the airtrain out to concourse E, but no ticket, so couldn't go past security, oh well, all AA, but the train helps you to see most of the airport. Then waited over an hour for the shuttle to the Doubletree Club Hotel, and sweating bullets. Dang humidity! Ugh! Yes, I yelled at them, 2 phone calls. They knocked off $20 off the rate, not bad. The hotel is more or less a dump(ok more ), but good view of MIA and the Southerly runway, so guess what I did(watched planes). The hotel is cheap and you get Hilton miles, with a double Hilton promo, worth it. I love the Embassy Suites MIA, but too expensive, especially for an overnight transfer. For that matter, I love Embassy Suites period, how could you not? I ordered the biggest calzone I have ever seen and BYO my own Perrier, thanks, from a local pizza place. Molto bene!

I overnighted at MIA to get more miles out of the trip( a reason to fly AA alone), upgrade on the 777, hard to do domestically, and I just love MIA, though I can't stand that awful humidity. Plus, it is a nice, warm break during the winter, with Europe freezing. I love Miami, for that matter. What a beautiful place.

------------------
MD
AA PLT,1 MLN Miles+
Hilton Gold
Sheraton Gold
Old Feb 3, 2002, 12:09 pm

Nice trip report, it was quite entertaining to read. Thanks!
Old Feb 3, 2002, 10:26 pm
Original Poster

PART 2 MIA-LHR :

The next day I played around MIA, schmoozing my way into the Int'l terminal(A concourse) so I could access the BA terracess lounge, Perrier and all, makes the Admirals Club look like a freaking joke. The agent(not very friendly) had to look up my status, but as I knew what she really should know, I was in)
Needless to say I "borrowed" some Perrier and Milano cookies. The lounge is comfortable, nice lounge chairs, with a view of the field. Conversely, the AA Admirals at B concourse(they duly closed the one at D, which was nice) was packed with no where to sit, may as well sit in the terminal, which is what I did.
By the way, there was a LONG line for first class check-in at AA, but she was friendly and forgot to ask the security questions, oops..... Let alone anything with the bags, so guess standard bag match, which they usually do internationally,is in place. I think we are now at a point where there is more security domestically than internationally, oh great.

After BA, with my Priority Pass card, made my way to Club America, a private club all over MIA, though they just closed down one of the other clubs, GROWL(hate club closures!) OPENING = GOOD!, CLOSING = BAD!
This is a very nice lounge, very comfy, and Perrier everywhere(Brian, in your dreams dude! ) . They had the full bottles. There isn't much to eat save nibbling on some nuts and whatever that 5,000 hands have played with, ok. The seats are very comfy, but the staff are so unfriendly. Time to smile. They were all latin, so English was not their strong point to say the least but they could have been friendly, just doesn't hurt. I was surprised as the people from Miami usually are quite friendly.

I had discovered something new here. You can access from airside concourse A(where I was, the int'l terminal), concourses B, C, D, and E, without having to go back through security. Have never seen this before. If it hadn't been for 9-11, I wouldn't care, but since that time, going through security in the US has become a major, major pain!!! shoe checking and all, which wasn't done at all on this trip, hmmmmmmm

I was glad that I had done my airport shopping, , as in pick up timetables, baggage tags, etc, on the way in. Someone had left out old boarding passes and goodies, and I mean OLD, lying on one of the counters, so I was happy.
Within a short time my bag is full, what can I say? I love all the carriers from the Carribean and Latin America, makes me excited just to see some odd ball airline from Venezuela, etc.....

Ok, as I had said, quick trip to Admirals, Concourse B, YUCK! The agent was nice and so she earned an SOS card, but nowhere to sit, too crowded, too noisy. Nothing different from the concourse, DUH! They had no business closing the club at D, which was so nice. Also, by going airside, I had forfeited the club at E which is landside, also nice with good views, oh well... I have access to the DL Crown Room in F or G, but again, will leave till next time, DL has internet access and free everything... AA comps the basics, why I would never pay for Admirals, get real! I am amazed to see so many people pay $$$ for it... The only really good US airline lounge is Northwest Worldclub, but that may be a secret, so, shhhhhhhhh .

Boarding gate to LHR was a madhouse, with a new present from 9/11. They now check your passport at the gate, never did that for a domestic airline, but the European ones always have. Maybe Abdul could sneak onto a flight with someone else's boarding pass? you never know!?, but it did throw me off and I had to go fish for my passport, vs. the drivers license now checked on all flights that was readily available. Then, they did a changing of the guard on the passport check, had to show it again 10 seconds later when they scanned my boarding pass, again having to fish it out, not happy. The gate area was swamped, tons of people, and many were sent to secondary check, then they had to prove they had done the check before boarding.
Horribly unorganized!

First, it was coach, so not much to expect. The flight was heavier than expected, but I had the bulkhead aisle, a good seat, I think 21 something(right hand side). I still have to enter all this stuff in my flight logbook.
Since 9/11, they now keep all the curtains open, so we get to see everything. Good for us in coach, tacky for those who paid $5K or more to fly Business Class. No longer any privacy.

I could tell from the outset that the crew was not as friendly, typical transatlantic, with one F/A in business chastizing a guy over his cell phone, ok, I liked that!, but he was rude. As I had an aisle seat, had to look over my neighbor for a view of the planes at MIA on takeoff, northerly runway, some view of the lights around the airport, then with a turn, no more view for me.
FYI, from MIA, it is straight out over the (Atlantic) ocean to Europe, not up the coast which you'd expect, hence, why do a window? I got up several times to stretch my legs, strongly recommended against DVT and all.

The food was good. I had expected the cheap plastic as I was now back in coach and the beloved UK has a rule of all plastic on all flights, while they are doing full silverware, including the knives, within Continental Europe, go figure.
American Airlines meals, overall, are good. I have always liked the quality, and in my opinion, they are the best for US Airlines, but no match for AF, fyi.

The crew overall weren't that friendly, too senior, rushed the service, but did come out for more drinks rounds than in the past. My personal view is that they were keeping an eye on us, with all the curtains open, more F/A's were out and about than I have ever seen, with a F/A in Business on the jump seat facing us, and watching. I understand, but annoying. How I always pictured Interflug, the former East German airline. Reminded me of how one of my French professors would go out in the hallway during our exams but would peak in, you never knew when he was watching .

I brought reading material, again, Business Traveler, studied the OAG(Flight schedules) for a future trip to South Africa, and followed the flight map while listening to those cool Japanese songs, I still have that one in my head.

We had a nice breakfast before approach, small, cooked omelette and accompaniments, like a banana or something, not sure. The omelette was good.

My seatmate, a very nice Swedish man living in London, was quiet the whole flight, then we chatted in the last hour, as this usually happens. He is a Star Alliance Gold, so we compared notes and he answered questions about the EU-European Union, very informative...(FYI, I used to be a United Airlines Premier Executive, the equiv. a Star Alliance Gold, so could relate).

Anyway, we came through the clouds and London rain, I could see some view over him, & watching the flight map. To our surprise, and my enjoyment, we did an aborted landing at Heathrow, as I knew we were way too high for landing, so I got a freebie, yeah! Love flying into Heathrow. We turned around and had to go back into the London queue for landing(they should have short cut us back in). The dear Pakistani child in the row in front(middle of the cabin) didn't agree with that maneuever and duly, ah, got sick shall we say, and we could all smell it . The captain finally came on and told us why- that another plane hadn't cleared the taxiway. It was a BA 777, fyi. move it buddy!

So, we came in again, freebie approach, and landed. The family of the baby got up and the F/A duly came back and chastized, it was a draw, kind of fun, but the smell was ICK.

I parted goodbye to my new friend and entered Terminal 3, which I love.
All kinds of nice planes from around the world. I love the new Gulf Air colo(u)rs.

------------------
MD
AA PLT,1 MLN Miles+
Hilton Gold
Sheraton Gold
Old Feb 4, 2002, 1:00 pm
Original Poster

PART 3 LHR-AMS

Ok, arrived at Heathrow Terminal 3. It was great to get off that dear plane, even if it was at the very last gate of that outer satelite. Great to be able to walk and see all the planes at T3. I know sounds stupid, but I love the big radar tower at Heathrow spinning around, always fun to see.

Now we start off with British bureaucracy(idiocracy if you prefer ). There is a rule that you can't visit the lounges airside in any way if you are an arriving passenger, not the case in any other country in the world that I know of(would be physically impossible in the US with the set up of our airports). To my surprise, there is another rule, can't visit a lounge, even though you walk right past it, if you are a transfer passenger until you have cleared security again. If you are going out of Terminal 3, I don't have a problem with it, but I do if you are transfering to another terminal as you then have the pleasure of clearing security twice, which is really quite a pain. They stamp your boarding pass, oh goody. I had the option of exiting through HM Immigration and customs, but then the landside way to Terminal 4 is a royal pain.

I believe, if I am correct, that it is because of the British rule that arrivals lounges( a good concept) was created. London was the first place to have arrivals lounges because of this rule, but I am glad that the concept has spread worldwide. In other European countries, you can visit the lounge on arrival, no problems. Oh well. I do it all the time in Paris and Frankfurt. Just give them your flight #. This is helpful when I only fly into the airport, out of another, would feel cheated by not being able to visit.
So, I played their game, after visiting the Admirals Club and confirming the rule, went to the secure area, fortunately no queue(line), did the security fun, then toured the shopping area, which happens to be one of my most favorite on earth. The British Airports do have wonderful shopping and departures areas. Singapore and Sydney the same.

Then I was able to visit Admirals, in my opinion their best club in the system, though the new DFW club at A concourse gives competition. I also visited the Kuwait Airways Lounge, which I am entitled to under the Priority Pass program( can visit many lounges around the world, love it!) The negative was that when I had gone to visit the BA lounge at T3, to which I had full access and was completely empty, she had sent me away, saying as I wasn't flying BA out of Terminal 3, I couldn't go (BS!) The fact that my fellow Americans(cool guy working there) took me at Admirals says it all.
The fact is, if you are traveling on a Oneworld flight, with the appropriate status, you have lounge access and she was just being nitpicky, one of my gripes about my ancestral Britain. Oh well. She did tick me off, in all honesty, more on principle. Usually, I visit other lounges to get magazines, but would be flying out of here later and had enough rubbish to carry, so didn't bother.

Anyway, for my first time, I took the transfer bus to Terminal 4, kind of fun, as you go out onto the field and then underneath the tarmac. It was a new approach to Terminal 4, which is huge. I also love this terminal, excellent shopping and the BA Terraces are great. I had 5 hours altogether between flights, set up that way, so I had plenty of time to check out the shops and then hang out at the 2 lounge areas, with permission to visit the First Class lounge, all very nice. It was my first time to avail of the comfortable showers facilities there, a pleasant touch after an overnight flight, and I did come out feeling fresh. At this time, BA's sandwhiches were out(which are delicious) along with several little cookies and nidbits to munch on. I grabbed a few of the snacks and then went to the gate. I also visited the KLM lounge on the other end of Termainl 4, gratis a Priority Pass. Nice, but very basic snacks. The irony is that I can visit this lounge at LHR but not the KLM lounges at AMS, save when I used to fly Northwest/KLM Business some time ago.

I boarded my first BA A319, possibly my first A319 altogether, though I could have sworn I have flown an Air Canada 319bus before, will have to research the flight log book. Friendly crew greeted me and the plane was immaculate. I was surprised to find the bulkhead ( a plus of AA Platinum/Oneworld Sapphire) to be the row behind Business, nothing special/roving curtain. Business Class in Europe is a joke as it is a moving curtain, but then Bus. class is really full Y fare. I loved the inflight map that popped down from the overhead. Standard announcements and then a good take off out of LHR.
North, over the orbital, and NE toward Holland. Middle seat open, fellow yank at the aisle, didn't
say a word, which was fine. I was reading Business Traveler and passing out here and there.

They did a quick white snack bag of a sandwhich and a cup of water. Sometimes you get a biscuit/cookie, muffin, or whatever. I didn't care. First, I was full from the lounge and second, I was exhausted, as I had been up for who knows how long. Was counting the minutes til I hit my bed at the Amsterdam Airport Sheraton, a very nice hotel. They do a nice full beverage service, duly taking my Malverns sparkling water, a la Americain(with ice).

We had the customary approach over the Dutch coastline, love it, completely straight and flat, nice, then over the countryside. The negative was that they had retracted the map, hate that! Turns out with winds and maneuvers by the Amsterdam ATC, the pilot referred to it as the tour of Holland and we actually had a nice bit of scenery, flying over the coastline and some small villages, loved it!, we had to circle for about 20 minutes or so.
Then for my first time I had a spectacular view of Amsterdam, right hand side, from the air. This I loved. You could see everything and clearly AMS has grown since I was last there years ago, very impressive.

We had a good touchdown and taxi to the gate. BA and all the British carriers seem to share one concourse, concourse D. It is perfect, it is the last concourse in the international area of the airport, but next to Schengen(no borders in Europe ), so works well for customs. I was exhausted and knew I would be back later when I flew out, so I took a quick look and then went to get my first passport stamp in 2002.
I miss the old stamps from Europe pre-Schengen, now they are all generic and boring, but it is still fun to get a stamp. They were impressed with my couple words of Dutch and smiled. Then baggage reclaim, always happy to see my bags again . Last time I was here, no customs officers were present, as the area shares with the schengen arrivals and no customs for those boarding in the UK, but full customs for anyone coming from outside the EU as this was my first port of entry into the EU.

I made the mistake of being friendly, again, surprised he was even there, and said hello. For some reason, I feel funny saying Goed Dag, don't know why. He then asked if I spreek Nederlands? I don't speak Dutch but know a few words and understood him. I think he was surprised when he knew what I had asked.
When he saw I was a bonafide Yank tourist he waved me on in the Green channel, but I think he was suspicious that I was actually Dutch trying to get by through speaking English. A customs tip, they are usually after their own citizens coming home, very much the case in the US, as they usually have the most to declare, when they are returning home. It was cool to be landise again, pushing my luggage cart between the shops.

They have an entire shopping concourse in the arrivals level, probably one of the best in the world, why Schiphol is one of the World's favorite airports, I agree.

The way to the Sheraton is via a large shopping area, very spacious, up a ramp, through the bridge to the car parks, and there you are, in the lobby. The hotel is fanstastic, very comfortable, good colors, multi level atrium, and the staff are as friendly as could be. As a Sheraton/Starwood Gold member, I was upgraded to a Club room, but missed the Executive room, so next time, will have to shoot for that . When I said "tot ziens" (goodbye), the staff at the desk just smiled. Impressed. Hey, Dutch is a neat language.

Can you imagine my relief when I hit the room? It is a gorgeous room, as requested, high floor with a view of the planes. The bed is incredible and just everything, bathroom and all, very nice. I stayed there once before and swore I would get back. One of the advantages of staying by the airport, the hotels are newer and cleaner, vs. the hotels downtown that are so overpriced and old,for the most part...

With a little bit of energy left, how, I don't know , I changed and checked out the main terminal. The place was packed, tons of people everywhere and you could see the new security checks in place(manual/KLM and X-ray/Delta) for the US flights.
I love this airport and my favorite is that Oneworld has its own areas at the end of the check-in concourse at the South Terminal, every Oneworld airline has a very large and spacious facility. Kind of a :-P~~~ to the Star Alliance, . I would like to see an area like this at all airports, as from what I have seen, it is the first of its kind.

As mentioned before, great shopping. I went to the airport supermarket and bought a few fresh sausages, bread, and some Droste Dutch chocolate-pastilles, love those! I was looking forward to Spa, a Dutch/Belgian mineral water, very good. So took a short break from Perrier.
All good and for a reasonable fee. Ah, my first time with the Euro, which I exchanged at the customs area exchange desk. They are cool in that they are close to the US $$$. With Holland before, it was divide by 2, no problem, but with Greece, it got sticky, so the Euro will come in handy. However, I would ask the Europeans if they are ready to lose some individual sovereignty??? If they are, great. I would never want to part with the US $$$. Too special. The Euro will make traveling easier for us and them, however, I think that years down the line, they will miss their own money and having control over it. I am proud of our British cousins holding on to the pound. Denmark and Sweden also held on to their crowns,fyi.

Ok, it was an evening of sleep and watching Euro tv. My favorite being CNN Int'l, truly a good station. I toured the hotel and love the ice machines, they know us Americans . The job now was to fight the jetlag, from which I was exhausted.

------------------
MD
AA PLT,1 MLN Miles+
Hilton Gold
Sheraton Gold
Old Feb 9, 2002, 1:18 am
Original Poster

Guys, seriously, do you want me to go on with this? I am happy either way, just that I need to see more interest to take the time to write this stuff. Thanks, Michael

------------------
MD
AA PLT,1 MLN Miles+
Hilton Gold
Sheraton Gold
Old Feb 9, 2002, 10:33 am

Programs: DL Diamond, AA CK, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Platinum, Avis Presidents
You can't leave us hanging PLEASE finish the report. They are great to read.

Thanks
Nat
Old Feb 9, 2002, 10:57 am
Original Poster

"You can't leave us hanging PLEASE finish the report. They are great to read. "

Global, you are a stud! I so much enjoyed reading your comments and now this, cheers.

I will get on it. No one was saying anything so I figured, why bother. Although my aviation penpals have shown an interest, so, I am guess I am letting people down :=)))

Take care and thanks, appreciated.

------------------
MD
AA PLT,1 MLN Miles+
Hilton Gold
Sheraton Gold
Old Feb 9, 2002, 1:09 pm
Original Poster

PART 4, AMS-MAN BA EMBRAER JET

Ok, time to pick it up. Thanks for showing an interest, I needed that.

With jetlag, one usually arises early in the morning, and no exception here in Amsterdam.

I stayed at this Sheraton long ago and remembered their incredible breakfast buffet.
Hence, I made my way down there to the nice, comfy restaurant. The room is spacious, unlike many Euro resto's, no offence :=))), the staff are friendly, and English is not a problem, one reason I love Holland and more so Amsterdam.
Needless to say the buffet was excellent, with some of the packaged cheeses and things "ACCIDENTALLY" falling into my pocket, OOPS! :=))) Hey, for 20 something Euros, close to $20 something $$$, I don't have a problem. I sat next to a flight crew, I think it was Garuda, embarrassed that I can't remember. More F/A's just kept coming in and they all squeezed in at the one table.... I could have asked them thousands of questions, i.e. may I have your wings please?, but I was polite.

I had a good view of some of the planes at the last concourse at Schiphol on the int'l side, where some of the funky intercontinental goodies come. EVA 744 is nothing rare for me, but cool to see. ELAL 757, love the old colors... I wanted to sneak over there and watch the boarding, a fun process to watch... The most secure flight on the earth, more fun to be a lurker than a pax and then can walk away :=))), though I got into trouble in Frankfurt photographing the plane(757). The Germans and the Israelis didn't like that and I was followed/watched for quite a while, I still remember that, UGH!!!

There were the usuals, tons of KLM, NW, and what have you. Anyway, I had to hit the lounge upstairs where I swiped some San Pelligrino and they had some Westin chocolates....nice lounge, top floor of the hotel, decent view, but my room is just as comfy, plus, it was time to go explore Schiphol. San Pellegrinos included .

The hotel is connected via a long pedestrian bridge to the train/shopping area at the arrivals level. So convenient, every airport in the world should have something like this... I went outside to get some fresh air and that was enough, dank U. Freezing and that wind thing going nuts, was enough.

I did a quick check on the shops, not very long, met my friend from Paris there last summer and we lived in the aviation shop. I honestly, I know crazy!, completely avoided the aviation/model shop. Too much temptation. I was on a budget and I had probably spent 200-300 $$$$$$ last summer.....plus, no room in the baggage to carry all that STUFF. Had it been at the end of the trip, who knows... then you can just spend :=)))

Ok, toured the departures area, West and South..... Packed to the gills with people and very busy. For some reason, and Frankfurt is similar, everyone is walking fast and on their cell phone, almost pushing you out of the way. I noticed London was a little more relaxed and more so Paris, which is nice. The crowding and rushing was driving me crazy, to be honest..... I am so sick off all those cell phones....... Do these people have a freaking life off the thing??? I love mine, but get real :=))).

I did a check of all check-in counters, not to much to nick, but I tried... I think a few timetables.... There are more pickings at the West area. Croatia inflight magazine. Yes, Darwin, I have one for you :=))) (dang they are heavy!). The creme de la creme was the Ghana Airways magazine. I asked the woman if she could hand me it, she did, I was very happy. Anything from Africa puts a smle on my face, as Philippe knows well :=))), merci! Not too much else, to my surprise......

Anyway, now came the guts and glory. With my carry on and my flight ticket on BA to Manchester, not due for several hours that evening, I went to the Schengen area security control ( no borders/passport control) , showed my ticket(vs. boarding pass), they didn't say a word, and let me in. OK! :=) Some airports I think would make a big deal if it is about 10am and your flight leaves at 1800, or supposed to anyway, :=))).
A cute oriental girl wanted to check my pocket at security control, to be honest, no problem there :=))). What a change from getting frisked by guys at London, Miami, and Vienna, and a pleasant one at that, smile.

With that, I was able to get a substantial part of the airport out of the way and see a new concourse. Granted, the concourses at Schiphol are very generic, but I want to see all atleast once. I hit both concourses, very, very LONG!, all the way to the end. My reward was a leftover Montreal Gazette(in English) newspaper which I duly removed. I love Montreal, love to get news from there. It was mine!!!

I had access to 2 lounges, Globeground and some new company, they seem to be all over Europe now... the first one didn't check a boarding pass, nice, and was reasonably spacious.... I borrowed their Financial Times(love that paper) and several chocolates and biscuits, many of which went to my friend in Paris. I could tell people were watching me take a few trips over, nothing big....No inflight magazines to borrow, so that sucked! Had a couple of hot chocolates, not bad, and the staff was friendly... Some guy was yacking in some Eastern European language on his cell phone, was driving me crazy to find out what it was-hey, I love languages, I gotta know... I am gonna go with Polish, if no points, fine...

Went to the other lounge-Globeground. Small hole in the wall, clean, but too small, as British Midland came in and took over half of their lounge... I should have just left. She wanted a boarding pass and didn't want to show her my ticket, so we played a game. Won't go through all the details but it was exhaustive doing a 360 around this woman. I spent maybe 5 minutes there, too small, nothing good. My reward was some sparkling water and she let me take the BM inflight magazine, sorry Darwin, only one..... was surprised that she so readily let me have it...

With that, I checked out the shops, the fresh smell of cheese and all, very nice!
Didn't want to bother with passport control til I left. If you do, they scan your passport and it stays on your record for who knows how long. Brussels looked at me more closely for doing the in and out thing of their airport, hence, I shall be more careful as I go to Europe several times a year.... if it had been the old days of just Holland, I wouldn't care......Now, officers in Athens and Copenhagen are looking at your ins and outs in
Amsterdam. OH Schengen!!!

Anyway, bought some chocolates and yes, she wanted to see a boarding pass. UGH! Schengen, no more Duty Free, what is going on? It is technically a domestic part of the airport. To the positive, she accepted my ticket( if I were to hang out there til 6pm I really would have no life :=))) ), no questions. I was amazed. FYI, no tax on the items bought, the store eats it, so it does pay to shop airside. I can see getting through security but after that you should be checking in at the transit counter. No, AMS is cool. I know other airports would have made a fuss. Why I love Schiphol so much! With that, one last persousal and downstairs through customs...
Was a little concerned, as no checked luggage and hence, no coveted green tag, so, I just went through... When I had come through last summer, there were no officers. Now, they had 2/3 officers and someone's bags were being thoroughly checked in the customs booth, poor soul. They must be watching out for the white baggage tags, glad to no longer have one. Once you land in Europe, save Switzerland, there is no customs..... but you may have to show a boarding pass from your flight. What the dear woman at Globeground wanted to see from my, hmmmmmm, arrival flight from Paris........:=))))))))))

I know that I will get into trouble when I say that I had passed on going into Amsterdam. Atleast Brian will chastize me, fair. I had a very comfy room, was a little tired, and wanted to pack all the new goodies that I had picked up on the trip, SO FAR. Bad, I know... I am still unpacking.

This is one of the nicest hotel rooms, didn't want to leave it, and it ain't cheap either.
I figure I can do the take the train to Amsterdam next time, and there will def. be a next time. Everyone speaks English, so never a language problem, very, very nice!!! and the women are cute...Yes, I am engaged, but I think I am still allowed to look!?, right dear?

I did a swim in the pool. Nice pool, had it to myself most of the time. It had that fresh water that you get in Switzerland and Germany, hence, my stay was longer. I love anything with water....More relaxing and enjoyed the 4pm checkout gratis a Sheraton Gold status. Again, the staff couldn't have been friendlier. A quick check out and threw my bags onto a baggage cart and off to BA.

I may have said before, Oneworld has its own check-in area at Schiphol, which I love. It is large, spacious, and nicer than the hometown KLM and NW areas. As a Oneworld Sapphire I was able to check-in at the BA Club Europe check-in and she was friendly, it was quick, and I was happy :+))). I want to see similiar Oneworld check-in zones at all airports! Would be wonderful. By the way, stick * Alliance, :-P~~~ .

Ok, some more looking. Checked out the upstairs, restos and all, full from breakfast and snacks from the lounges, but wanted to see all areas of the airport. Another present from 9/11, the beloved observation deck was closed, BOOOOOOOOOO. Ok, too cold, but still, I would have endured, even with my leather jacket packed away.
I remember it from days past, good views and lot's of room to move around.
Dang 9-11........

I went to the far end of the West terminal, swiped some Martinair baggage tags, rare for me!, and did the passport control thing. I politely waited in line, queued, handed my passport to the officer, who was cool, gave me my exit stamp, even though I would be back in dear old Schengen tomorrow. An EgyptAir pilot waltzes right up thinking he can flash his passport, nah ah. So the MS crew blocked my way waving their passports. Can you say rude? They made the rude European people look good, I say ugh... I have been to Egypt so know what it is like... they are kinda, ah, impatient!!! :=))) Wait your turn, then you can go. I liked how the officer controled them. They were humbled(read pissed).

Security was a breeze compared to earlier... though no women wanted to check my pockets ((((((((((( . . There was a dang cute Dutch girl, security officer standing to the side........UGH......:=)))

------------------
Michael
AA PLT,1 MLN Miles+
Hilton Gold
Sheraton Gold
Marriot Silver
Old Feb 9, 2002, 1:12 pm
Original Poster

I remember all this from before. Good shopping areas and made my way out to the intercontinental gate area(far left concourse). Hit it all the way to the end, then back, no rewards, nothing to pick up. There is a good view from the end of the concourse. Some weird ex-airplane parked by the trees, couldn't figure out what that was, I think ex-military.

An EgyptAir A321 came in, fun to watch them unload. The Dutch border police didn't like 2 of the pax on there, so I got to watch them take them at the end of the jetway and escorted them to the police area. Was I curious, oh yeah!!! I, concidentally, , walked back to the main terminal with the interesting party. Was just so curious why they wanted these 2 even before they had hit passport control.... hmmmmmmm

Then back in the main terminal, plain clothes police/immigation politie were questioning some people from the Middle East, sorry, can't tell where from. Yes, I lurked, I watched.... bad of me, jawohl!!! . He was trying to speak to them in different languages to establish communication and check their documents. I was surrprised that this would happen to people who are leaving or in transit. HMMMMM
I was impressed, as many Dutch can do, with his language abilities. Speaking German, English, and something else... Good German, by the way...

Ok, hit the shops, maybe one other concourse, just so generic. Watched all the pretty KLM planes. Yes, I love the blue... the 2 standard lounges, to my disgust, were closed. Not happy, I like to hit every lounge that I can, if even for 2 minutes. Plus, they usually have goodies. Dang! So off to the BA lounge I went, medium sized, but packed to the gills. Had to fight for a seat. With all due respect, a bunch of stuffy Britts, , all dressed in suits and ties yacking away. Ok, they were speaking English, that is a good thing. But there is always such a stuffiness to the BA lounges, don't care for it. I feel it more so in the BA lounges than anywhere else.
Interesting. I had a few SPA's, Belgian/Dutch mineral water, and then couldn't take the crowding anymore. Some group of London businessmen and women congregated next to me and it was all I could take. So, parked my bag there, taking all essentials, and back into the terminal.

I went to the KLM lounge and to my amazement walked right in and no one said anything. I could have stayed, but didn't, didn't feel right. Although I have had access to it before as a former NW Gold. I miss that.

I began to realize that I had given myself too much time airside. All the lounges are upstairs, checked out all, was done. Then an annoucnement came on hearing Manchester in Dutch, uh oh... yes, the MAN flight was delayed by an hour. UGH. I am tired.

The jetlag was settling in, as it usually does in the evening, and so contrary to the packed lounges, found some chairs by the window, all to myself, the best lounge ever, and parked it, looking at my pickings in the last few hours, i.e the KLM inflight, which is good and getting some rest......If I ever had to sleep in an airport, this would be the place. Perfect nook and cranny.

Did a cursory look at the BA lounge, swiped some waters, oops, waved goodbye to the unfriendly attendant, and down to the gate... Since I was there, checked out the concourse. Too generic. I made the horrible mistake of picking out Aero, the German magazine, and Airliner World, setting them down on the desk, and walking away as she was busy, never to see Aero again on this trip, UGH... Aero is all in German but good pics, good info, und ich kann lesen einige Deutsch. ( I can read some German).
I picked up Airliner World in Britain, their home turf, but so regretted Aero...

I did buy some more Droste chocolates, the big package, just loved those.. To my surprise, saw them all over Europe, but figure they are fresher in Holland.

The excitement was that the Embraer was a new plane for me. The drag was the delay, I was tired, and the gate holding area was full, no seats, and a bunch of Britts who looked as exhausted and out of it as I was... poor souls.

Boarding was down the stairs, outside into the rain, yuck!!! bad if you wear glasses.
The girl waving us on was cute, so something. No more Dutch women for a while,
. . I climbed the stairs after memorizing the aircraft registration #, will give later at the end, and entered the very narrow tube... wow! the crew were friendly, but I was amazed with the size. The positive, I had a seat all to myself, first class, as far as I am concerned, and their was room in the overhead for luggage....

I coudn't believe that they actually had a Club(Business class) with the curtain drawn, on this small thing? It is neat to be back in the English speaking world. They didn't speak a word of Dutch, which is rude, although I think most, if not all, were Britts and me, the one token yank. We pulled out, did the safety demo, and took off into the clouds. I realized that I was enjoying the plane, very much so the one seat to myself, what a pleasure!

The Embraer is operated by British Regional( a new airline and a new plane for me, yeah!) on behalf of BA, in BA colo(u)rs, one of those funky multi-colored schemes. I so loved the older scheme with the blue crest, so British. They never should have done away with it. FYI, the Britts were pissed when their flag carrier went and put that crap on their planes... I would be livid if our airlnes removed the flag... Now BA has given in to public disust and put the flag back on, but what they had before was perfect... Same with ELAL, so perfect before, now all that white crap. These airlines never learn!!! :+))) My friend Matthew, who I mention in a bit, stopped flying BA unless he had to, after they made the stupid move. Go Branson!!!

They did the standard BA sandwhich thing in the white bag, whatever... It was cloudy most of the way and then on approach, we flew over a sizeable city to the East... anyone have any clues? Leeds perhaps??? I miss the flight map when they don't have it, fun to see where you are ...

We started descending, flew over the outskirts of Manchester, nice, and made a soft landing... much to the opposite of tomorrow's flights.
I collect the safety briefing cards, heck, I collect everything. Was sad that I could really only get one off the plane, sorry guys. It was up and out... Thanked the crew for the pleasant flight and down the stairs. Cold, but felt good to be out for a moment. I think some sports team was congregating, I waited for a sec and they waved the yank on. This was my first time arriving at Manchester internationally, so a new set of halls and doorways and all...... Yes, I love airports.!! was my second time to MAN, as of last summer, so I knew where I was going......

I had to be the only non-European from the flight, so while the others flashed something to the plain clothes Her Royal Majesties passport inspectors, I got to go to the side and fill out that stupid card( I hate that thing so much!!!) while everyone else went around. I really thought he might let me get away with it, ah, no.
It takes 2 seconds to fill out, though easier when they are given on the plane, often not done on EU flights, as they don't need them. The frustration, again, with all due respect, as the Germans, for example, don't have to fill them out and walk right in.
UGH! Everyone who came to help England fight the Germans, and really, not that many years ago, such as Yanks, Canadians, Aussies, Kiwis, and Springboks, get to stand in very long queues/lines and fill out paperwork, while the Germans who were dropping bombs on Manchester walk right through, as do the other Europeans, many of whom, to put it politely, don't like the Britts, and that is an understatement. Think football hooliganism(embarrassing!)
Don't worry, I get pissed in France as well when they make me fill the cards out, though French immigration does seem easier. The irony is that when I go to Germany, it is easy to get in. I have to ask for a stamp, no landing cards, and very quick. Go figure........ I think the Britts really need to think about who their friends are and treat them accordingly, and quickly. Atleast they were smart enough to stay out of Schengen, a total soveriengty breaker, so I give my ancestral people much credit there, the same with the Euro.

I hope that our British cousins can see that no humour is lost on this irony, I can assure them. They are our best friends, along with Canada, and so I would prefer to see an entry that shows that friendship... bearing in mind that we bounce in and of the UK several times, as I did, but when one comes to America, it is usally one landing. I know our procedures are a pain, they are a pain for us as well, in fact I loathe coming home and going through US customs. Then again, you usually don't bounce in and out of the US like you do in Europe, and Australia is very similar, even requiring visas of us, UGH!!!
Anyway, sorry for the digression, but wanted to share, see if others feel the same.
Atleast, I did get my first Manchester passport stamp.

Down the stairs to the narrow baggage claim, was surprised, and out the customs exit without a single officer. Ahhhhhhhh nice, but do they realize that people can fly to Amsterdam from Timbuktu and connect at AMS onto a UK flight?? (DUH!)... gee, that could never happen. I know that bags are X-rayed at the first point of entry into the EU, but still, too casual. Why I no longer take Euro customs seriously, too many holes and
loopholes.

Anyway, the fun begins. I was looking forward to staying at the SAS Radisson, in airport, but knew of the conseuences. With the new bridges/tunnels between terminals, no shuttle. So you get to push your trolley and bags quite a fair distance to the hotel. The only part I really minded were the 2 lifts/elevators, making it more of a pain. I have always wanted to stay here, having high expectations. The lobby is very nice, the rooms were something else. One of my fellow yanks was taking forever at check-out, hence, the delay. If I sense a delay, I pull out something to read, to keep productive. Check-in was friendly, requests answered, although I wish they could have given me a higher floor. I stay at airport hotels for the view, so I can watch the planes. Terminal 2 was pretty much in my way, UGHHHHHHHHHH, and with the rain, all night fyi, the view was obscured, but I guess was doable....

I was dissapointed with the rooms. It is a reasonably new hotel, but the rooms don't show it at all....Old and average furniture, with my bed slumping down... I guess I missed my AMS Sheraton..... I have been cooresponding with my mate Matthew for a while and now I got to meet him. Nice young man who lived outside Manchester, came over and I appreciate his making the journey...

I think he was pleasantly surprised by the package I had for him, safety cards from home and the trip, as well as other goodies picked up along the way. Was happy
to have one less thing in my bag. He, in turn, gave me a nice set of Emirates safety cards, and they are a welcome addition to the collection, to say the least.
He had sent me a very generous package of cards a while back, so he got on my good list very quickly . Plus, he is friendly and fun to be around. He is the kind of Englishman, if you will, that I adore. Some Britts are stuffy and annoying, something that I don't care to think about when half my heritage is British, which I am very proud of, fyi. The common people like Matthew and a pilot that I had sat next to flying from Paris to Montreal( he was so cool!), they are the Britts that you just have to love. Need more of them. The South African English and the Aussies are similar, laid back and so fun to be around. Did I mention that I love Australia?

Anyway, we talked airlines, planes, travel, swaped experiences, and toured an empty airport, watching the Pakistan 747 leave for Islamabad 5 hours late, I do like that colo(u)r scheme.

I enjoyed hearing his experiencs, he outta share them on here. Flying a Pulkovo TU-154 with the seats flopping up and down, Emirates, etc..... This kid has traveled the world at a young 20 something....amazing!!! I had to be 30 or so before I took my first solo to Europe......though I had been many times with my family.

Anyway, it was great to set down after a long day and kick back and watch TV in English with the rain outside........

------------------
Michael
AA PLT,1 MLN Miles+
Hilton Gold
Sheraton Gold
Marriot Silver
Old Feb 9, 2002, 7:25 pm

Keep going Michael, I'm enjoying the trip reports

Mark......
Old Feb 9, 2002, 8:58 pm
Original Poster

Mark, thank you, I need the encouragement.

------------------
Michael
AA PLT,1 MLN Miles+
Hilton Gold
Sheraton Gold
Marriot Silver
Old Feb 14, 2002, 6:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF FB Platinum For Life (F+ Rouge Vintage®) / Hertz President's Circle / SNCF Grand Voyageur Le Club
WT36: I'm really enjoying this trip report and I always enjoy your comments on other trip reports. Thanks! Keep up the good work and happy travels.
Old Feb 14, 2002, 11:18 am
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by blairvanhorn:
WT36: I'm really enjoying this trip report and I always enjoy your comments on other trip reports. Thanks! Keep up the good work and happy travels.</font>
Thank you very much. I am adding another part today, just have to proofread.
A bientot.

------------------
Michael
AA PLT,1 MLN Miles+
Hilton Gold
Sheraton Gold
Marriot Silver
Old Feb 15, 2002, 12:18 am

Thanks for the entertaining report. I truly enjoyed your airport "shopping". Before I learned about Flyertalk I thought I was the only person looking for timetables and baggage tags of Yemenia or Air Mauritius...

On the other hand I really can´t follow your logic in combining the WWII and the HM customs procedures, let alone the football hooliganism. Does the US customs give preferential treatment to the allied countries´ citizens and give much harder time to the Japanese citizens fir example?

The Schengen, what makes it a total sovereignity breaker? Since this is a Flyertalk, I really appreciate the fact that it has made intra-European flying much easier and less hassle-free. Compared to domestic US flying for example. I really don´t see how the national sovereignity of the European nations can be diminished with losing a few passport/customs checks. I am quite sure that you know Europe cherish a long history of nationstate that one agreement really cannot wipe out.

Enough of that, waiting for your next installment!

Regards,

niko
Old Feb 15, 2002, 2:31 am
Original Poster

Niko, Terve and kiitos for your support.
Let me answer some things, proofread the next section , been distracted, and then will try to post tonight.

"Thanks for the entertaining report. I truly enjoyed your airport "shopping". Before I learned about Flyertalk I thought I was the only person looking for timetables and baggage tags of Yemenia or Air Mauritius...

&gt;&gt;&gt; No, oh my, there are thousands! We collect everything from the airlines, for me, more so safety briefing cards, amenity kits, and then the general ticket jackets/boarding passes( I like it when they allow me to keep the whole boarding pass after boarding, something which AA is good for), baggage labels and tags, etc...The list goes on. Far from the only ones... You should write me personally if you have more questions. My friend from Paris met me in Madrid-Barajas one time and they had dozens of airline model planes hanging in the air, he was salivating . It was fun to watch.

As for the others, quickly here, if I may.
I was making some points for people to think about. Wasn't trying to be offensive or anything like that. I love Europe so much, while being a good and devout American, I relate well to Europe.

I am just questioning are the Europeans thinking about their sovereignty!? Yes, the border crossing show sovereignty. I feel it when I go to Canada, as the Canadians want you to feel that you are in Canada, same with Mexico. The border is a sense of protection. I am glad that the UK/Ireland are out of schengen, they'd be crazy to join, but I was also against Greece(insane!) and Scandinavia for joining. Scandinavia has its own sovereignty, and they need a border with Europe, especially with Norway and Iceland not being members. It roped them into all that, and then you have immigrants and refugees freely running around Europe, it is crazy. The Swiss border is easy to cross, I have done it thousands of times, so it is all a joke. I could go on, maybe elsewhere .

As for the UK, many of us in the "colonies", if you will, feel that the UK sold us out and joined Europe, at our expense. They have much more in common with us:US, Canada, South Africa, HK, Australia, NZ, etc, than they could ever have with Europe.

I mentioned the Germans as one example, that they were fighting, now the Germans walk in very easily, while we stand in long lines at Heathrow, can be up to an hour at times, after we came over and fought for the dear souls-our cousins. A good part of my ancestry is British, so very proud of that. But they piss us off when they treat us like 2nd class citizens when we arrive and then the other Europeans walk in very easily. It is too weird. They are crazy to do such a thing and it is remembered, I can assure you. Everytime I enter the UK I get pissed thinking about it. Again, another story. .

As for the US, yes, we created the visa waiver program for our "allies", if you will. I knew a girl, went out with, who worked at the US embassy in London. I had no idea how hard it was to procure a US visa, I could relate horror stories, so they should be grateful for visa waiver, which is now under attack in our congress. Reid is a Britt and Massooui is French, so, alot of debate. I am grateful that we have it, as I have many friends in Europe. Again, I love Europe! I just want to see the UK not forget its colonies, which it is doing in the EU, with respect.

The US is very security conscious but at the same time, I feel bad that Britts have to have some kind of visa to get in, but then you have Reid types ready to blow up planes, it is messy.

Also, you have to differentiate the feelings of the American people vs. the Gov't, with respect, that can be very different. I don't think people in other countries realize that!? Anyway, maybe I can post more my feelings on this elsewhere... Let me go proofread and post. Take care & kiitos.

------------------
Michael
AA PLT,1 MLN Miles+
Hilton Gold
Sheraton Gold
Marriot Silver

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.