Search

A taste of Zurich

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2001, 5:47 am
In Memoriam
Original Poster

Programs: aa exp - spg gold - Hyatt Diamond - HH Gold
A taste of Zurich

As someone once before did (can not remember who) I am reserving my space for my future report on thanksgiving trip to zrh to collect my prize from the "Know Flyertalkers/Flyertalk" contest conducted by Rudi.
Just a teaser -
I arrive ZRH KL 1953 at 9:20am, early, on Friday morning. Came out of inspection to the exit and through the windows saw Jerrie who had arrived a couple of hours earlier standing next to a chaffuer/bodyguard - no wait - his cap reads "Martell" - its Rudi - Swiss Emissary to FlyerTalk!!!

Okay enough I now understand why Rudi (wheres the accent) has mispelling in English the kezboard is waz way waz different. (Wonder if that will make a smilez)
Old Nov 24, 2001, 7:10 am

Programs: Emirates Gold, Etihad Gold, Flying Blue Silver
Enjoy Zurich! I had the pleasure of spending a few days there this summer. The city is great, have a great stay!
Old Nov 24, 2001, 7:51 am

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
Enjoy your stay! I suppose you'll go to "Kronenhalle"?
Old Nov 24, 2001, 8:10 am
Original Member

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus
airoli: If you can make it tonight (Saturday, nov-24, 8PM) join in at the Kronenhalle and be my guest too!
Old Nov 24, 2001, 9:09 am

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
Rudi: thank you so very much for your invitation, I will be there.

Looking forward to meeting you and magic111!
Old Nov 24, 2001, 9:17 am
Original Member

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus
http://www.kronenhalle.com/e/english_fr.html
Old Nov 24, 2001, 10:25 am

Programs: NW Plat (now they call it DL Diamond) 1MM, soon to be DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Dusit Gold
Hard to believe that Jerrie was able to get off the plane after being seated in F two hours faster than you (stuck in Y-?)
Old Nov 25, 2001, 7:57 am
In Memoriam
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Hard to believe that Jerrie was able to get off the plane after being seated in F two hours faster than you (stuck in Y-?)</font>
Nope - different ff programs/different airlines
So I am now at the Oasis Lounge at ZRH and Rudi has now run off with Jerrie - more about that later - first back to arrival on Friday. Some footnotes; if you want to read about the flight experience it will be done in this report the same method as the movie The Snatch just a one second flash
Get through customs and greetings with Jerrie and Rudi. Rudi inquires what our immediate desires are to be - we agree that we need to sleep a bit on a bed first and than we will get together in the afternoon so that Rudi can give us a tour of Zurich. But first the guide insists that we tour the airport and ajacent train station. The first place we go to is departures. Oh those loveable swiss hope there is only some sort of tease here because I plan on collecting my winnings before I leave. Next it is off to the escalators and we get a lesson in Swiss inventiveness. Where most airports just make barriors so that the airport luggage carts can not be taken on to the escalators - could be dangerous in Switzerland they just designed the carts to go up and down the escalators safely. :cool
Off to the train station and an explanation of how to read the signage - some secret words like nur and sektor(sp) to ease our travels for the 15 minute ride into the main station in Zurich (we are staying at the Hilton at the airport)
We jump into Rudi´s car and over to the Hotel. Rudi is giving a quick overview of our upcoming afternoon - all dependent on the weather- after all it is and has been snowing since before my plane arrived. I ask if it is possible to see any "Gnomes" and I am informed that I am looking at one
interludeThanks airoli for showing me how to make this kezboard work more efficently.
Anway Jerrie has already checked us in and we go to the room and everything that is important in a room works. 1)Lay down on bed 2)Go to sleep 3)Wake up more refreshed than when I went to sleep. It is like Brendan says (and the name of the book eludes me now) "The secret to satisfaction is not to have high expectations" end of interlude
14:30 and we go to the lobby and meet up with Rudi - he has gotten rid of his chaffuer hat and we are all going to take the train into ZurichHB (anyone wants to place correct names/spellings in their response to any thing I write feel as I and any one else will feel most appreciative.)
--end of this chapter - it is time to leave teh Oasis and head for the plane - going to spend the night in ams perhaps I will have the opportunity to get over to EasyEverything and post again--
Old Nov 28, 2001, 6:27 am
In Memoriam
Original Poster

We head out on the shuttle to the train station. And then we have our first Swiss F-S-* experience
Quick dhammer what is the difference between F-S-F and F-S-*
We vist the Sprüngli shop for out first truffle I get a dark and Jerrie gets a light - exquisite, simply divine - I do not know if results were kept from the chocolate tasting at the very first PiP but for sure this has to be the very best chocolate that I have every tasted and for those who know me or have read my previous Taste of ..... reports you know that I enjoy good pastries and candies a lot.
Okay we are fortified until the next pit stop and I am sure there will be another as rudi does know me I check on my Casio and find that we have arrive at ZürichHB (main station) promptly as scheduled. Of course we left the station at the airport at the exact time as scheduled. Wow what a concept following a printed schedule - yes we have a lot we could learn from the swiss but I do not know if I would enjoy always being on time to work.
Rudi gives us a quick visit of this huge facily, the HB, and then it is off to the main shopping street of Zürich. The name eludes me as I sit here but the rudi explains that it would be equivalent to 5th Avenue in New York. Immediately Jerrie eyes and ears perk up - shopping! The street runs from the HB to the lake Zürich and is packed with every imaginable store possible. Rudi points out a large tower with a green roof off to the left (the university) and begins to quiz us about our knowledge of one its most famous previous resident. After it becomes clear that we do not know he finally relents and admits that it was Einstein. So forever I remember this landmark as Einstein University and still do not remember the real name. It is important facility for tourists as the landmark can be seen from most parts of the city and it becomes easy to orient ones self.
Back to the main street - And it is time for a perk me up as we stop at the main Spüngli store for a coffee. Yeah right Magic111 is going to stop at a pastry/candy store for just coffee - get real! Jerrie and Rudi choose the coffee option only but I select a wedge shaped F-S-F that is presented on the plate like a tree standing up. I immediately fell it and dig in. On the outside is a thick layer of dark chocolate icing and inside are alternate layers of chocolate cream and cake. Very well done and just like that it is gone and I debate whether it would be impolite to order another goodie. Decide to go with the majority and finish the coffee and it is back out on to 5th Avenue which is now becoming a combination 5th Avenue and Wall Street. We have now entered the most expensive section of the street. On the ground floor are stores with merchandise and on the floors above are the purveyors of the Swiss Bank Accounts.
Some other quick remembrances of the street - International headquarters of Bally's - Rudi inquires if we want to go in - I decline as I know it would be cheaper to fly to spain to get shoes than it would be to buy them there even after the price of the tix is included - Schweizer Heimatwerk A Swiss chain of stores which only sell Handicraft & Souvenir items that are excluively made in Switzerland. We enter and Jerrie finds the music boxes (an item which she collects - among many) but can not seem to find a song she likes. Rudi tells us that he will show us the main Homework store later in our travels.
So we continue to the end of the lake and cross the bridge over the river that divides Zurich at the spot where it leaves the lake on its journey to the Rhine maybe. (Note to self- you are a whoosie when it comes to the cold and make sure you buy ear muffs before DUS)
More to come - - - -
Old Nov 28, 2001, 6:57 am
geo1004

I - AM - SOOOOOOOO - JEALOUS!!!!!

Old Nov 28, 2001, 7:33 pm
In Memoriam
Original Poster

After crossing the bridge and almost being run over by a tram Rudi points out the opera house and the Kronenhalle where we will have the prize dinner the next night. We carefully hop another tram making sure we do not have to jump out of the way and ride it up the other side of the river from the side that we had just walked down. Get off at the first stop and then begin walking through the "old town" section. Since Zürich has not been destroyed by wars and such there are an incredible amout of old houses in the area dating back to the 12th century. Most of them have a plaque attached to them which describes perhaps the date it was built, perhaps the fact that the owner had his head chopped off or perhaps some other pertinent bit of history attached to the property.
As with most really old towns it is like walking around in a maze and for sure by myself I would be unable to find anyplace again. As we walk along Rudi points out the shops where Gisela does her grocery shopping and then points out the Bourbon Street of Zürich. Of course since it is only about 5pm and quite cool there are not many folks out doing there thing.
Find the internet cafe where I posted the placeholder for this report and then we find another major pastry/chocolate shop, Teuscher. Eventually we will end up buying six boxes of chocolates to bring home for family and friends (any more and we would have to check our luggage.) But my companions this day do not want to wait in line to purchase some samples and we contiue on our tour.
We pass a car called a "Smart" and Rudi informs us that it was designed by the same designers who brought us the "Swatch." interlude Now I had commented about the inventiveness of the Swiss and on the way home on Monday I was reading the wsj European edition and they had an article about patents and it turns out that Switzerland has more patents per capita than any other country in the world - way to go end of interlude
Well we finally get to Rudi's car and although not a Smart it is surely as decorated as one. The weather has not cleared so there is not much point of going to the top of the hill that Rudi lives on and trying to get a view of the Alps. So halfway up we stop to visit Rudi & Gisela's home. Although it has gotten quite dark outside the home appears to be somewhat like our home with trees surrounding it and a garden in the back. Rudi has framed menus from around the world from famous restaurants that he has eaten at and family pictures on the walls. We learn how over 3 decades ago Rudi was a swiss law-breaker and it eventually turned out ok. And later we will learn how his father sank his mother's boat the first time they met
Since the top of the mountain and the fondue is out we decide that it will be Italian for dinner and we head off for another part of time. We end up at this place called da Angela for tortellinis with garlic, the house specialty.
Rudi who claims to have eaten at this restaurant over 500 times gives us the story about this special dish. 1) It is only prepared when order 2) It is only prepared by the owner 3) The owner is 80 or so years old 4) The president of Italy when in town goes to da Angela's for dinner 5) Tourist do not find this place and we probably are the only tourists who will eat here this month. Will that for sure is a lot of expectations and for someone who has eaten at an Italian restaurant 500 times for sure Rudi's waistline does not show it.
Expectations met - satisfaction achieved. If you are in Zürich try to find this place and for sure order this dish.
Jerrie and I finish up with a pastry that is called something in Italian but translates to English Soup. Sort of reminds me of a "drunk" triffle.
More to come -----
Old Nov 29, 2001, 5:42 am

Really great report....

if you have time stop at a jemolli and buy one of those brawfusts... they are delicious.. make sure you give your left over bred to the duckies in the canal...

and enjoy Zurich. as for the rest. you mention, I will try next time!
Old Nov 29, 2001, 6:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
magic,

Whatever the letters are........the results are still the same. Hmm, hmm, good.

You gave me a very hearty laugh this morning!
BTW, Friday 11/30 in NYC, some of us are having lunch at the Second Ave deli. And as if that wasn't enough, we're headed to a great Italian pastry shop afterwards.

Dan
Old Nov 29, 2001, 7:37 am
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
Rudi sure is a fine host (and chauffeur)!
Old Nov 29, 2001, 10:56 am
geo1004

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by magic111:
we finally get to Rudi's car and although not a Smart it is surely as decorated as one. </font>
The Martel Miller Lite Wagon???

Oooooo, I LOVE that car! It is almost as cool as the chexmobile.

[This message has been edited by geo1004 (edited 11-29-2001).]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.