Original Poster

ORD-NRT-SIN 11/1 to 11/5

UA RT C class, 747-400 Upper Level
Service OK; 100% full outbound, 70% return;
food nothing to write home about, only complaint no service kind upstairs for
9 hours after lunch and before NRT arrival;
self service available (sandwiches, soup, drinks);
Singapore is fabulous; clean, beautiful,
extraordinarily civil, polite, courteous.
Conrad hotel first rate, well located. Must
visit is Raffles Hotel. All sorts of food, all good, all kinds.
Best part of trip was Essxjay's wonderful company, charming, intelligent, and innocent.
And brief meetings with mjm, greg99 and his
delightful wife, and the breathtaking monie or Monica.
Great time and my thanks to those who made it so. ND
Old Nov 6, 2001, 2:13 pm
mjm
Original Member

ND,

Was good to see you and essxjay on the equator. Hope to catch up again and continue the conversation.

Talk to you again somewhere sometime,

Mike

------------------
a FlyerTalk tradition continues in November 2001 in Cannes, France......

Check the PiP 2001 Website or the FT Topic for details and news.

[This message has been edited by mjm (edited 11-06-2001).]
Old Nov 6, 2001, 3:30 pm

Programs: UA Gold Million Miler, HH Gold, Marriott Gold
Wow! Even Einar and I got to meet the legendary Nathan Detroit in SIN, but not in sin...He and Essxjay checked in next to us at the Conrad - we did not have any idea they were flyertalkers - we mistook them for a gazillionaire and his trophy wife!! Later found them on a boat ride in the harbor. Or is that harbour??? SIN is a terrific city and we really liked the views from the Conrad at Marina as opposed to the Hilton on Orchard. We could see the govt buildings, old churches and Raffles from on high. Everyone got the upgrade to the lounge. However, read under Hilton our on-going dispute with Hilton over its hotels' failing to honor the rates quoted by central reservations.

For a real thrill, if you stay in the Marina area, check out the newish Ritz-Carlton, owned by the same Chinese-Indonesian who owns the Conrad. His personal art collection of about 4000 pieces are displayed there. Conrad has some as well but nothing like the two massive Dale Chihuly installations at either end of the hotel's main level: sunset and sunrise in glass. Must see at night. Must go twice because the garden Chihulys can only be seen in the daytime!

We also took in the night safari at the zoo and it was a great decision to go. There is an express bus which picks up in Marina and on Orchard for $5 S each, each way. Cab in early evening from Marina was $15S but goes up 50% if you arrive back after midnight. One US $ equal 1.8 SIN $. You can take a tram or walk or both. Very spooky walking in partial darkness and, in some cases, you are amazingly close to the animals with NO fence! We took cab out and bus back. Entrance fee, I think, was $15 S walking and about $20 S to include the tram. Also has a nice talk with demos of night creatures.

Back and groggy! We spent three whole days there. Could have had one more day but not much more than that, esp in daytime. Night time, it really buzzes!

Unlike Nathan and Essxjay, Einar and I went coach. Unfortunately, we had some problems since the non-stop SFO-SIN had been cancelled and folks on that flight were put on ours through Narita. Our seat assignments magically disappeared and we ended up not even in Economy Plus. NOT HAPPY. Had to tackle a gate agent for each leg and the last was the worst. Econ Plus was only 60% full but we ended up on the only full row in seats we had specifically told UA we did not want. The way UA scattered people, it was not possible without a big shuffle, to get two seats together somewhere good. However, Einar did secure his PremEx with that flight and I am Prem for the first time. Usually I fly free with him. We are exhausted BUT the itinerary to hear about is Monica's on Continental!!
Old Nov 6, 2001, 8:51 pm

Programs: UA1KMM, Hilton Diamond, Starwood Gold
ND, great report! This way I get to read between the lines and fill in the spaces with my imagination. With all the FT's making the SIN run, we should organize a "Party in SIN City"
Old Nov 7, 2001, 12:40 am
monie

It was WONDERFUL to meet up with nathan detroit,essxjay,greg99 and wife in SIN.
Words cannot describe my thrill to be welcomed with open arms in SIN by those I had met via FT.
I'll write a seperate report, but wanted to thank nathan detroit and everyone else for the pleasure of their company in SIN. I look forward to meeting once again

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.