Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

ORD to ANC, First Class on Alaska (long)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2001, 11:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, Alaska MVP, HHonors Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite, UA Kettle

After writing slightly gratuitous responses to a question on the Alaska board, I decided to turn this into a trip report... so here goes!

Oct. 31, 6:00pm. Alaska Flight 131, ORD to ANC.

I haven't flown since my July trip to Guatemala, so I wasn't sure what to expect.

Friends who have been through O'Hare since Sep. 11 have said that it wasn't as busy as usual. I've dropped people off and picked people up without any traffic problems, but I didn't know what I was getting into so I decided to show up the recommended two hours prior to departure.

I successfully checked in for my upgraded seat over the web so I had my boarding pass in hand. Alaska's flight was scheduled to depart from gate G8. The G concourse at O'Hare is technically in terminal three, but I hate going in terminal three and walking all the way back behind and through the walkway to the rotunda where terminals two and three connect at the G concourse.

Plus, I thought the security line would be shorter in terminal two.

I was right about the line, there wasn't one. I was the only person trying to get through security.

My attempt to avoid the potential line in terminal three and the long walk back to the G gates was unsuccessful. Even though my boarding pass said the flight was departing from the G concourse, the security agent insisted that Alaska's gate was in terminal five, the international terminal.

I explained that it was departing from G8, pointed out G8 on the boarding pass and pointed to the sign that pointed towards the G gates but she refused to accept my explanation. She finally got another security agent who knew that Alaska was in terminal three.

Even though the second agent knew that terminals one, two, and three are connected, she insisted that I exit terminal two and walk to terminal three, re-enter and go through security at terminal three. I gave up and walked towards the exit.

On my way out I spotted a roving NW agent, I showed her my boarding pass and asked how to get to gate G8. She said to exit and go to terminal three. I pointed to the sign that showed how to get to the G gates through terminal two and she said that I could also go through terminal two. I explained what happened with security and she said that she guessed I would just have to go to terminal three.

So I walked over to terminal three. There were 25 or 30 people in line at the Alaska counter. I didn't see a separate line for first class or elite members, although one agent didn't seem to be working with anyone. I was glad that I had only carryons and didn't have to stand in line.

The security line wasn't terribly bad, I only had to wait for 5 or 10 minutes. American Airlines agents were checking boarding passes in front of shorter lines directly in front of each screening station.

American doesn't have web check in and the agent who looked at my boarding pass must have never seen a web checkin boarding pass before. She was quite skeptical and it took some time to explain the web checkin process, but she finally let me through. She didn't check my ID.

I took my laptop out of the case and put it, my laptop bag and my carry on through the x-ray machine. I also emptied my pockets into a tray to send through. I wasn't searched nor were my bags inspected.

I went around to G8, there were only two or three people there. There were some agents who appeared to be finishing up from an earlier flight.

In the past the monitor showed an Alaska logo with the flight number and information like all the American flights at O'Hare, this time there was a pen and highliter sign attached to the monitor with Alaska Airlines tape.

I still had over an hour to kill before boarding was scheduled to start at 5:30 so I decided to wander to the new WorldClub / President's Club in terminal two. The agents were quite helpful and were more than happy to sign me up for a 60 day trial membership.

It's too bad that Alaska Airlines Board Room memberships only allow WorldClubs access when you're flying on Northwest flights.

The lounge wasn't crowded. I had never been in the old WorldClub but the new combined facility is much nicer than the old President's Club. It's done in a contemporary style with lots of granite. It reminds me of a scaled down version of the big Admiral's Club at O'Hare.

There were five or six people on the phone or e-mailing, one or two watching TV. I didn't look for internet terminals. There were fresh cookies and a decent compliment of crackers and other snacks.

There was a full compliment of self serve alcohol, but no bartender. As a non-drinker I'm not concerned, but I understand that many President's Club members are accustomed to the standard bar and bartender. Self serve coffee, orange juice and bottled water were also available.

I watched TV for awhile, CNN said that Chicago was implementing a no-fly zone over downtown.

It got to be around 4:50 so I decided to head back over to the gate. I made it just in time to see the 737-700 pulling up to the jetway a few minutes ahead of schedule.

Unfortunately, there was a problem with the jetway and the aircraft sat next to the gate for 30 minutes before a tug was used to push the jet back a few feet.

Pre-boarding was eventually called and I was the second or third person to board.

I was excited to be flying again but I was really quite nervous. I knew nothing was going to happen and I couldn't really come up with a reason for why I was feeling so skittish.

I didn't linger by the cockpit to get a close look, but the door didn't appear to be the new bulletproof door that Alaska is installing on their 737s.

I took my seat in 1A and tried to relax with the in-flight magazine. The flight attendants were quite attentive, coats were collected in a professional and timely manner.

I noticed that there weren't any water bottles. This might have been because they were a little behind schedule with the jetway problems.

The seat next to me was still empty by the time the last few tricklers were boarding. The flight didn't seem to be very full and I wondered if maybe there would be an empty first class seat.

Finally a mother and her five year old boarded, the mother immediately spoke with a flight attendant about switching seats and that’s exactly what happened. I was asked if I wouldn't mind moving to row three so that the mother and her son could sit together.

I was more than happy to oblige.

Pre-departure beverage preferences were taken. Options were water or orange juice. I like the choice and it seems classier to have the drinks served versus having bottles ready and waiting at each seat.

I noticed that there weren't any Wall Street Journals. Since the flight leaves ORD in the evening there aren't any Journals from Chicago anymore. Not sorely missed, but I thought it would be on the plane so I didn't bring my copy with me or read it at home.

I noticed that the five year who now occupied my previous seat had a shrill voice. It was at that moment that I realized that the Wall Street Journal wasn't the only thing I had left at home, I had also left my earlplugs.

We waited another half hour or 45 minutes because they decided to add some fuel in order to make it around a storm.

No one was happy about the delay, but the FA wasted no time in serving wine to those who wanted it.

Following the wine, the FA came through and pre-ordered the post-departure drinks. I should also mention that the FA addressed customers by name when taking meal and drink preferences.

This has happened to me on Alaska before, but the only other time was on a Northwest flight to Orlando. The FA approached myself and several customers during the end of the flight to address us by name and thank us for choosing Northwest. I was really quite surprised, that had never happened to me on NW before and it hasn't happened since.

I wonder if the manifest showed elite customers from Northwest's partner carriers and the FA just decided to go a above and beyond the normal routine?

Once the door finally closed we had the normal safety briefing, although everyone (myself included) seemed to be more attentive to the FA's presentation. The only real difference I noticed was a request not to linger by the restroom or near galley areas.

We had a short taxi and a short wait until takeoff. I noticed that I was breathing more quickly than usual and my heart was racing like never before.

My aisle seat in row three afforded a decent view of the cockpit prior to takeoff. The first officer appeared to be in training, he was receiving a fair amount of instruction from the captain who wasn't wearing his standard jacket, but was wearing a baseball cap. One FA was also wearing a long orange T shirt that said "costume". Another FA was wearing a tiara, while the FC FA didn’t appear to have anything in terms of a Halloween costume.

As soon as we took off the occupants of row two reclined into row three, I reclined into the wall and remembered why I had reserved a seat in row one.

We had a beautiful view of downtown Chicago.

Drinks were served and meal preferences were taken from front to back.

Last time I flew this route, the meal preferences were taken in order of elite status and then females. The order was MVP golds, MVPs, women and then everyone else.

There were no menus. Not a major problem for me, although prior flights had folded color menus which I found to be quite elegant.

By the time the FA got to row three only one of each entree remained. Niether my seatmate nor I had a preference, I went with the halibut and he chose the steak.

Once on this route the FA gave me a certificate for $25 off a future flight since there wasn't a choice by the time they got to me.

I was starting to relax a little bit by the time dinner started, but then that little plastic knife had to serve as a reminder of everything that had happened and how so much has changed.

I read that Alaska's metal knives actually met the FAA requirements but the plastic is being used to make customers feel safer. I wonder if the increased security I went through would really make a difference to a terrorist, or if it was just designed to make us feel safer?

Dinner was served in three courses: salad, entree and dessert. The FA took wine preferences for those who wanted it and we also had options of sourdough or olive bread.

This flight didn't have the additional light meal or snack that the morning flight had, but it was plenty of food for me. I wonder if the coach passengers felt the same way?

The FA asked each FC passenger if they would like to watch a movie and took movie preferences, again from front to back.

This time there weren't menus with descriptions of the movies. While I commend the FA's ability to remember all the movie titles, I think I would have selected a different movie if I could have read the descriptions. I watched Snatch, I couldn't understand most of the dialogue because of the thick accents.

The rest of the flight was uneventful. chocolate mints were distributed followed by hot towels.

We landed at about 10:15pm, about 25 minutes later than scheduled. Not too bad considering the jetway problem and the additional time to refuel.

All in all, it was a good flight. I'll be going back to Chicago on Tuesday morning, but I'm waitlisted for FC and I'm not counting on an upgrade.

I wish I had more opportunities to fly with Alaska.

Thanks for bearing with me through this slightly gratuitous trip report!

-Robert

(Edited for spelling and clarity.)

[This message has been edited by rwinn (edited 11-02-2001).]
Old Nov 2, 2001, 12:02 am

Thanks for the trip report!

I don't realize that the ORD-ANC flight departed on the evening now. Well, I am disappointed to hear about the lack of the second meal, since the flight is a little bit more than six hours. I think a light cheese, crackers and cookie snack will be appropriate, or a fruit plate will be nice.

Anyway, the service seems excellent, and can't wait to fly its long haul service soon.

Thanks,
Carfield
Old Nov 2, 2001, 2:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, Alaska MVP, HHonors Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite, UA Kettle
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Carfield:
Thanks for the trip report...the service seems excellent, and can't wait to fly its long haul service soon.</font>
Carfield,

No problem. I'm flattered that you read the report and responded. I always enjoy your trip reports and I know we share an affinity for Alaska.

-Robert
Old Nov 2, 2001, 7:28 am

Programs: AS MVP, Elevate, AAdvantage, Mileage Plus
Well, you definitely exceeded my expectations in terms of a response. Thanks for the detailed report!

Anyway, it sounds like Alaska has basically made the ORD-ANC flight roughly equivalent to the SEA-IAD run by cutting out the second meal service. As far as menus are concerned, it may just be that Alaska has not yet printed the new menus for this route. I know when they have changed their schedule in the past, this has been an issue.

Sounds like the security agent at ORD has forgotten that Alaska is part of the United States. And, you know, she wouldn't be the first person to think that either! :-/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.