Old Oct 29, 2001, 11:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA2MM LIFETIME PLT, Turkish Miles&Smiles Elite, Marriott Plat
LAX-HKG CX First Class with LAX Anthrax Scare and Photos

CX 881 LAX-HKG
Departure LAX: 3:30am (3 hours late)
Arrive HKG: 08:00am (30 minutes late)
Seats: First Class 3A, 4A, 4D, 4G, 4K
Aircraft: B74J (New First Class, Old Business, No Empower or Email)

After cashing in 700K of AA miles, I had five CX First Class tickets LAX-HKG-JNB. At first I only had two of us in FC and the rest in BC. But after much persistent calling, CX ended up giving us 19 out of 20 segments in FC! My advise to all, book early and then grab more seats as they release more inventory.

So Grandma, Grandpa, my partner, our son and I were picked up at 9:15pm from our home for a scheduled 12:30am departure. One person was in the CX FC line when we got there and we were quickly checking in. Seats had already been assigned but the agent still had to consult someone else. Why can’t all airlines preprint the boarding passes/baggage tags like UA FC? While friendly, the gate agent was SLOW. After finally getting our boarding passes for both CX flights, we started towards security. Just about then, the police came by saying we must QUICKLY evacuate the building, no reason given. Needless to say, our entourage doesn’t do anything quickly with a two year old, stroller, car seat, 7 carry-ons… I was shocked to see people RUNNING towards the exits. Many people who were in the check in lines, had left their check in luggage standing in the queue! I can’t imagine leaving my luggage behind. I guess people are hypersensitive due to the recent events.

By the time we got out of the building, there were around 2,000 people standing on the street and sidewalks. I led our group to T4, home of American. I thought we might be able to wait in the lounge there. Unfortunately, since we didn’t have an AMERICAN ticket, the gate agent said we would make it through security. So we hung out at T4 check in for a while. Still no reason was given for the evacuation. Meanwhile 20 motorcycle cops, fire engines and police cars drove past. Most were parked down on the arrivals level.

After about an hour, I started to think about all those people passing security once they reopened the terminal. It would be a nightmare. So I noticed a few people standing in the now unused parking lot. They would have quick easy access to the Int’l terminal via a sky bridge. So I loaded everyone up and off to the parking lot we went. From there we had a great view of the goings on down below.

Photo of LAX International Terminal during Anthrax scare

At this point a nice AA employee shared with us that some suspicious “sand” had been found near the flower shop.

Finally 135 minutes after the ordeal began, we were let back in, first employees and then everyone else. We were third in line for security and a huge crowd formed. Security was hardly anything different than usual. They did find Grandpa’s small scissors though.

CX FC was using the BA/QN Los Angeles Lounge at the furthest lounge possible from the gate. This lounge is a bit bigger than the BA lounge they usually use closer to the gate. The usual light fare was provided and by this time we were super hungry and thirsty. We were told our new departure time was 2:30am. Luckily our son was sleeping nicely through all of this.

At 2:00am we headed off to the gate where we boarded immediately and felt much better in the wonderful hospitality known as CX FC. I was very happy that we could bring the stroller aboard instead of gate checking it. Several flight attendants quickly stowed the stroller and car seat. We had decided that we wouldn’t use the car seat since we would put the seat in the bed position as soon as we were off the ground. It was nearby in case of bad turbulence though. We safely strapped in Po and “Baby” right next to my son.

Photo of our son at takeoff

FC had 9 of 12 seats filled probably due to the fact that they had canceled the 3:00pm and combined everyone on this flight. I had never seen so many in CX FC.

We all had a glass of champagne with our welcome canapé of wild mushroom and veggies. Grandma and Grandpa were VERY impressed with our surroundings. We changed into the pajamas and received our amenity kits. I hadn’t been on CX FC since June and was surprised to see the new small toiletries bag like LH used to use.

We pushed back around 2:45am but then the pilot said there would be delays since ATC was staggering all the Asian flights. We lifted off the ground at 3:30am. Africa here we come.

Despite the late hour, I was surprisingly awake. This was my partner’s first time in CX FC and we both were hungry. We both ordered the caviar, asparagus soup, and a NY steak. FC is the only time I ever eat caviar but I do enjoy it. The asparagus soup was as good as ever. The steak was tender and perfectly cooked nothing close to the famous DL “hockey puck”. After all this food, we were tired and full so beds were made and off to sleepyland.

Photo of Caviar presentation

Photo of Asparagus Soup

Photo of NY Steak

I slept for about three hours before my son woke me up. He loves planes and as he was waking up he realized that he was on a plane and a big smile appeared on his face even before his eyes were open.

During the rest of the flight we all sampled quite a few of the “Supper” a la carte menu.

Photo of Prawns and noodles

The Cinema –On-Demand choices were all pretty uninspiring. I ended up watching an Eddie Izzard special which was very funny.

About three hours before breakfast, we all ordered breakfast. I had the normal four piece Dim Sum. Delicious.

Photo of Dim Sum

Even though I didn’t have much hope, I asked the Purser if Grandpa could watch the landing into HKG. Unfortunately, due to the September 11th tragedies, no more cockpit landings for passengers.

Overall, it was another wonderful flight with CX. The service and food were top notch. All the flight attendants were wonderful with our son.
Old Oct 29, 2001, 4:11 pm

Great report! Thank you.

BTW, the caviar pix looks yummy..maybe I should email this photo to the new CEO of UA!!!
Old Oct 29, 2001, 5:28 pm
Company Representative - Air Canada

Nice report especially the photos... those food looks so yummy!
Old Oct 29, 2001, 7:16 pm

Excellent trip report. I took CX 882 from HKG-LAX on 10/27 in FC and it was great. All seats were occupied. Incidentally the food was fabulous.
Old Oct 29, 2001, 7:19 pm

Programs: AA 3MM EXP, SQ Solitaire, LH SEN, CX DM, Hyatt CC, Marriott LT Titanium
Great report! I'm glad your family enjoyed the trip. Hope to hear about your HKG-JNB trip soon!
Old Oct 29, 2001, 8:55 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold
A thoroughly enjoyable report on what sounds like a thoroughly enjoyable trip. I appreciate having the photos and really like the one of your son asleep in his bed with "Po" and "Baby" strapped in next to him. How adorable!

I am delighted that you and your family could take this vacation together.
Old Oct 31, 2001, 12:42 pm

Fantastic report and loved the pictures. Excuse my ignorance but what exactly is that Sum thing you had for breakfast??? Thank you.
Old Oct 31, 2001, 11:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA2MM LIFETIME PLT, Turkish Miles&Smiles Elite, Marriott Plat
matahari wrote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Excuse my ignorance but what exactly is that Sum thing you had for breakfast??? Thank you. </font>
Dim Sum is a Chinese cuisine which is eaten in the morning. It is a bunch of hors d'oeurves type foods the most famous of which are "pot stickers".

Check out this website: Dim Sum Website

Enjoy.
Old Nov 1, 2001, 9:06 am

Programs: QF Plat QC Life Member; AA Plat; EK Silv; SPG Plat; Hyatt Diamond; Sirius (Jumeirah) Silver
Thanks for a fantastic trip report!

Can you tell me what that stuff in the small dish in the Dim Sum photo is. Is it something that goes with Dim Sum? I must admit to being a Dim Sum ignoramous!

And you have a really cute son - especially when I realised he was sleeping flat without the seat extended He seems to be a perfect little gentleman behaving so well. A glowing tribute to fine parenting!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.