Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta LAX-JFK

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2001, 7:10 pm
Original Poster

Delta LAX-JFK

First trip on Delta since 1989, and that was a 767 from BOS-PHL! Opted Delta over TWA/AA because of the return, which was the last flight west of any carrier from JFK.

DL 136 LAX-JFK September 7, 767-300ER

Called to reconfirm on Thursday around 5 pm PDT and was told that the flight had been cancelled. They rebooked me on flight 88 an hour later at 9:30 am getting into JFK around 6pm. Asked if there was anything in the front cabin, and I was upgraded to 2F in the Business Elite Cabin.

After arriving at LAX, was able to enjoy the Crown Room for a while before boarding. This flight was sold out in both cabins, because of the earlier cancellation. As a matter of fact, the cockpit crew for the original flight was in the front cabin. They had been told of the cancellation only an hour prior to the flight, when I told them my story, they said really, and said that was interesting and they would contact DALPA about that.

Anyway, we left on time and lunch orders were promptly taken. Choice of steak, salmon or chicken-asparagus raviolli. Chose the steak. Hot towel and drinks were served. Appatizer was a crab concoction served on bruchetta off the cart with wines. I passed on that. Lunch arrived, and boy were those portions small. The salad was puny, and the steak was very small also. The rice and corn were good. Dessert was ice cream sundae's. Then they disappeared.

All I can say is, for Domestic Business Elite, the portions are WAY smaller than those served on US in FC. The steak portion is 2x a large on US, and the salad is also 2x as big with a choice of dressing and much more than lettuce and 1 tomato. The ice cream was 2x as big on Delta than US, but overall, the whole food service was VERY disappointing. I hope it is better to Europe, because it sure as hell wasn't worht it to NY. Also, no snack of any kind was offered prior to landing in JFK. I guess US really gives you your money's worth, as most Eastbound flights have a snack around 1hr out of final destination.

If you though it was bad up front, the poor people in coach were treated to only 2 beverage services and a meal. Apparently they don't get stocked with enough beverages to make a 3rd run, although they do allow people to come to the back galley when thirsty. US does 3 beverages plus a coffee service on their transcon in coach.

The seat was very nice, and the selection of movies and games was very nice. The compass was also a nice feature. I did think that the music selection were lacking in a major way.

DL 88 9 September 763ER-G JFK-LAX

Flight is the last transcon to LAX of any airline. This was one of their Gulf Air refugees, and man is that thing weird. It has 6 doors and 2 windows instead of 4 doors and 4 windows. It also has no personal air vents, which is odd. Different galley configs as well from the other 763ER's.

A few celebrs on the plane. Gunnar Nelson, George Wallace and Haley Joel Osmet, all in Business Elite. I spent this trip in the coach section, row 32 CDE specifically. This was a SkyDeli flight, so I grabbed 2 just in case, only had plenty of water and just the milano's. Flight was a little bympy for the 2nd 45 mintues, and then fine. LAnded at LAX 30 mintues early over the water, but on the North end of the runway. Then the tug to take us into gate 60 broke, so it was almost 1:45 before the door opened.

All in all a nice flight. No more disco shag colors in coach. Do think they need to improve service in both classes of service, especially Business Elite.
Old Sep 10, 2001, 11:52 pm
aw

Programs: TK Miles & Smiles, CM ConnectMiles, AA Advantage
I agree to the above. I have found that DL's Business Elite portions tend to be on the small side on both domestic and international flights. Good report.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.