Community
Wiki Posts
Search

JFK-EZE-SCL on AA and LA...or, "Sir, did we ever serve you your entree?"

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2001, 2:40 pm
Original Poster

JFK-EZE-SCL on AA and LA...or, "Sir, did we ever serve you your entree?"

This is a phrase in the English language that just shouldn´t exist...

This is a trip report that is very different than most of my others. It is mostly about AA, and it is not a flattering representation. If you are an avid AA supporter, you might want to stop. If you are the AA lurker, continue. Maybe you can go back and tell Bruce why some people are growing more and more unhappy with your company.

After getting delayed by a day because of a flight delay and eventual cancellation, I was put onto the JFK-EZE flight the following day. Because of the delay, I also had to delay my connecting flight on Lan Chile to Santiago, my return flight to Buenos Aires, and my return flight to the US. Up to this point, my itinerary has been a mess. And it doesnt get any better. Between AA screwing up the date on a reservation (she accidentally cancelled the res without my knowing, and reentered the wrong date when she put it back in), BA cancelling a res because they thought I had already flown it, and CX cancelling most of my segments due to the typhoon and "job action", I have gotten used to watching people like a hawk. Even I couldnt be prepared for this....

When I arrived in JFK, I was not so promptly notified that my flight was delayed until the next morning. Now, this really chapped my hide because I was holding a boarding pass, yet no one was at the opening of the plane to let me know. I found out when I went to the AC to use the broken computer. *sigh*...so downstairs we go to try to get it straightened out. I chose to take the same flight on the following day, instead of chancing the delayed flight taking off. First, I didnt expect it to ever go. Second, I had a connection. So I had the agent fix my reservation, asked specifically if I was confirmed, and talked her through calling yield management and having them clear a seat. Apparently, this is not normal, so the pax had to help her out a little. In her defense, though, she was nice to me and we talked quite a bit about the various issues with AA. Gave her an SOS for helping. Still have never given one to an FA.

I was holed up in the JFK Best Western, which was comfortable enough. Service was non-existant, though, and I sure wouldnt stay there if I were paying for it. The following day (flight was late at night), I went into Manhattan and walked around. I have only been to NYC once for about 5 hours, and it wasnt in the day. That is part of my battle story of taking the subway through queens at 4am. Yes, I am alive. Very interesting city, I must admit. A bit overwhelming at first, but not so hard to navigate once you get a feel for things. Did some of the things that would interest me like going to the NYSE, eating lunch in Little Italy (I am 50% Italian, and my Grandfather lived there a while), and taking the Staten Island Ferry for a mileage run. Mmm...I mean, for a return trip. Time was agaist me, so I didnt stay on the island. Also wandered through Chinatown and the Jewish areas in the Lower East Side. Chinatown was a trip, because in places, there is *no* English. In Hong Kong, I expected and was prepared for it. But not in New York. People were quite friendly to me, though a few were rude here and there. Expected, and I didnt take it personally. Most seemed to be in and around Times Square, which was my last stop before returning to the airport. Very interesting place, and I will certainly return at some time again. Though maybe when I am in a different income bracket. Things are easily 25% more than I am used to at home.

At the Admirals Club at Kennedy, I spoke for a while with the same lady as the day before, as I waited for the one computer to free up. Never did, and soon it was time for boarding. On my way out, I walked by Conan O´Brian, who for whatever reason would be one of the very few celebs that I would recognize. Seemed nice enough, though had a bit of a blue streak going. Guess he was going to LAX to do whatever it is that famous people do.

Time for boarding. The plane was a newly configured 777 (which Sarecca, I still think is less comfortable than CX), that because of the cancellation, was packed. I was in 3A, which is important later. Boarding was easy enough, though there was no pre-departure drink for me. In hindsight, I wonder if there was a bit of age bias going on, as I was the youngest person in 1st, and easily received the worst service.

FA to pax ratio was 2:24, versus 3:14 on CX, 2:5 on LA, and 3:16 on BA.

For whatever reason, I pass out during the first half hour of almost any flight that I take. When I woke back up, they were beginning dinner. My choices were caviar, the crab and lobster salad, and chicken soup. I dont have the menu in front of me, so I will post it later. As I was waiting for the service (was the absolutely last one served), I got up to change into my CX sleep suit and my LA slipper socks. Yes, I kept a pair because they are both comfortable. AA gives an amenity kit with a few useless cleansers and other stuff, a comb, toothbrush, all in a nylon case. Only CX´s case could possibly be more useless to anyone who cant even spell exfoliation, let alone know or care what it does.

As I got up to open my bag, there was a pilot in the seat behind me. I noticed this on a different flight, and now realize that 4a is the pilots seat. I smiled and said hello, and we began to talk. Mostly, he was talking to me, asking why I was going, and about some of the battle stories that I had. About 10 minutes later, the lady FA came over and barked at me that she was going to set the table. Um, okay. Go ahead. I should say that I was standing behind my seat, not sitting down. About 3 minutes later, she came up to me and ripped into me that this was the pilots break and that I was bothering him! Me?!?! Bothering him?!?! This was in front of all the other pax, as well. So I shut my mouth and just told the pilot that I was being scolded for talking to him. He just laughed and shook his head. When I went back to change, I looked at her squarely in the eye and said, "number one. I will not tolerate being talked to like that. Number 2. He was talking to *me*, and if anything, was bothering *me*." In actuality, neither of us were bothering the other. She mumbled something about not meaning disrespect, when I shot back that she embarassed me in front of the entire cabin and that I would not allow someone to speak to me in such a condescending manner. It takes a lot to upset me, and she did it.

After I changed, I read and waited for my caviar. By the time it got to me, there was about a teaspoon left. Then was the salad, which was very good. It had a creamy dill dressing that I liked a lot. By this time, most of the other side had finished their entrees and were beginning the dessert. My plates were promptly removed, and I began reading again. The other side proceeded to finish, and get their coffee. The other side (you cant see in front of you in that cabin) then finished their coffee and began to lie down. Blink! There go the lights. What the... As the FA walked by, I grabbed him and began to ask where my soup was. "Um, Sir? Did we ever serve you your entree?" "Hmmm...no, no you didnt." This is a conversation that should not exist. But soon enough, the soup did come (about 3 hours into the flight), and I finished with an ice cream sundae. I didnt have the nerve to ask for nuts, as it wasnt served with any. I figured that the ice cream would be long gone at that point.

Movie list was really bad, so I entertained myself a little with some old episodes of I Love Lucy and the Honeymooners. Cant beat the classics. I did ask for Pollack, though the opening credits bored me enough to stop it. Sgt. Bilko was also played....

The rest of the flight was uneventful. I only had the croissant and yogurt for breakfast, as I knew that I would eat later.

The airport at Buenos Aires was a mess. Talk about dysfuntional and non-existant signing. I stopped and went to ask someone (in my limited Spanish) where the LA lounge was, but before I could open my mouth, they yelled "no!" and rushed off. Whoa. So I pushed my way through the masses of people and the 17 year old tarts shoving Duty Free coupons in your face, and just began looking around. The lounge is most unimpressive, and very small. I hope it was only temporary. Unfortunately, the AC was closed, or I would have gone. Handed the girl my ticket and was asked to be seated. No problem. Was also told that someone would be in later to speak with me. Uh oh. As time progressed, I kept asking if someone was coming, and finally asked if there was a problem. Well, since I was waitlisted, they would need to see if anyone didnt show up. Whaaaaa? What do you mean, waitlisted? AA said this was a confirmed first class seat! There are only 5, by the way. Turns out that not only was I waitlisted in first, but I was waitlisted on the whole flight. Not what I wanted to hear at that point. I did get into Biz, but I view it as an involuntary downgrade. One problem with AA is that *all* complaints have to go through corporate, and that the CTO or airport staff and sups have absolutely no authority to take care of a problem, outside of certain specific circumstances. I have a problem with this for three reasons. First, there are always circumstances that can not be discussed in a letter that can be explained in person or that are known by the person involved in the situation. Second, your problem is going to be more compared to your flying patterns at that point. No matter if they ran over your first born on the tarmac, if you dont fly much, you will get no consideration. In my case, the lack of consideration comes from the price I pay for my tickets. Finally, it is the height of inefficiency to pay someone $100K a year to sit and listen to petty requests for $50 here or $100 there. Or for 5000 miles dumped into an account. Needless to say, it isnt my company, though.

The Lan Chile flight was fine as usual. Lunch was a salad with a scallop and sesame chicken skewer, with an outstanding chocolate torte. Wine was good as well (Cab, though one of about 8 choices), especially for a short flight. Flight went up, flight went down. Seats were great, and had almost 180 degree recline. Flight attendants were excellent, and fussed over every detail as usual.

The problem with a trip report is the same problem that I stated is with a letter. It doesn´t give the whole picture or story. It doesnt account for tariffs issuing the wrong fare code and trying to charge me $6500 or threatening to cancel the rest of my itinerary. It doesnt account for them trying to go against the terms of a contract that they created by telling me that my trip ended before it actually did and trying to charge me the difference. It doesnt account for being told that I was just another "uninformed pax who dont know what you are talking about" by a night res agent. It doesnt account for the fact that they took 3 weeks to do an RTW that should have taken 3 days, or that most of my reservation has been voluntarily cancelled by AA. I have always given the benefit of the doubt to AA, but I can not do that any longer. The people are rude, especially the flight attendants. The company makes policies that benefits it most, then change them if it feels like it. AA is an arrogant company, and the only reason that I flew them on this trip was because they have an incompatibility with LA that keeps the miles from being posted and I didnt want the problems. Since then, I have learned that it is AA´s system that is incompatible, and not Lan Chiles. For example, AA can not see Lan Chiles availability. It is why the agents will tell you that Lan Chile is request only. If the agents werent so lazy, they would call Lan Chile and have them ammend the record and add the flights. Yes, it works, and yes, I have had to have them do it. Funny, though, that BA and CX can both look up and reserve LA flights with no problem. In short, I won´t be writing a trip report about AA any time soon because I wont fly on them any more, except under strict circumstances where they are the only OW carrier. Basically, domestic US. Since I dont fly much domestic US, it wont be a problem. Agents outside the US recognize the problem, and will speak openly about it. They realize that they catch a lot of the heat from what happens in the US, and they take it more personally as a reflection on themselves and on the job they do. I find this an interesting fact.

When I arrived in Santiago, I went to the local CTO to make sure that my flight back to EZE was confirmed and to see if they had any compensatory authority in an ex-US cto. Nope, and nope. In fact regarding the first question, my entire AA reservation had been cancelled. One of my flights was completely sold out at that point, so it would be a major reroute. These are moments in your life that you have to appreciate. The CTO agent felt really bad for the situation (I had dealt with him before on a previous trip), so he basically gave me the option of rerouting however I wanted. In fact, he told me to get off of AA and to take LA, which I opted for.

Told you that it wouldnt be pretty. Three months later, I will have my miles. One day later, I will have my sanity....

BTW, I am amazed that no one else said anything about the interview with Bruce Chemel. Am I the only one who thought that it was nothing but a bunch of PR horse dung and that Chemels assistant could have done a similar or better job? That was a great question, by the way. Thanks for asking!

Old Jul 23, 2001, 9:49 pm

Sorry to hear about your battle stories and the AA stories.

The service you received was horrible and I think a letter quoting the F/A's name will be appropriate. The F/As should treat everyone the same in the F cabin, even if you are non-rev. When I flew AA's TPE-SJC inaugural, I was the youngest person, but they treated me very well. They even made small talks with me.

Anyway, I hope the rest of your travel will improve.

Carfield
Old Jul 23, 2001, 11:06 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Loews Plat., SPG
Darren:
Sorry to hear about your dissapointing trip with AA. I find that they are very good within the US. I actually will be flying JFK-MIA-SCL-MIA-EWR in a few weeks, and unfortuantely, i was not able to get business or first so i am in coach on all flights(bulkhead atleast). The MIA-SCL flights are on 763's. Have any info on what to expect, and most importantly, any places of interest in the Santiago area?

------------------
-MC
Old Jul 24, 2001, 11:35 am
Original Poster

Carfield, I agree with you, but I was on a paid ticket. Up to this point, I have never used an award ticket. In fact, I have only ever used one upgrade, which was on United because I wanted to sit upstairs on a 747 from Denver to Los Angeles.

Max, I dont fly within the US unless I have to. I fly outside because I want to. Domestic flying, I understand is going to be bad, so I don't expect a whole lot. International is different. I didnt talk about a lot of things, as this is a "trip report", rather than a *****ing session. But there are a lot of other things that AA has done that has made an impression. Where does the 600 pound gorilla eat its dinner? Wherever it wants. This is the attitude that the company is taking and as a consumer, I dont want to give them my money or my business. Where I (or anyone) spends their money is the most power weapon they have.

BTW, my trip reports are usually very positive and upbeat, and I skip a lot of what happens outside the plane and a lot of the petty annoyances inside. Since I much rather prefer writing positive reports, I will leave this one alone and let it stand without any more comments from me. Ten years in a customer oriented industry has taught me that there is a fine line between having a legitimate complaint and just wanting to whine. I dont want to cross that line.

[This message has been edited by Darren (edited 07-24-2001).]
Old Jul 25, 2001, 12:19 am
Original Poster

Max, I didnt realize I forgot to answer your question about Santiago. I have not been in coach on a 763 that I can remember, but coach is coach. Try for the upgrade. Santiago, by most accounts, isnt an exciting city, but I find it to be very comfortable to be in. If you like buildings and modern design, you will be in pig heaven. In fact, I have heard that Santiago is used as a testing ground for the innovation in earthquake proofing of buildings. I stay in Las Condes, which is a more upper class area. There is a hotel that takes care of me when I visit. Also Providencia is nice, but both are more upscale. Bellevista is there for the nightlife, though be careful at night. I walk or take he metro, but taxi cabs are cheap. The metro is beautiful. Dont know for sure, but I would give odds that it was designed by a French company. I know that the cars are French. Near the Plaza de Armas (worth a visit) is the Museo de Bellas Artes. If you like museums at all, it is really worth seeing. Easily one of the best and most classy that I have been to, and I actually go to a lot of museums. Also in the area is the Mercado Central. If you like fresh fish, there are a lot of restaurants inside that serve from stock that is literally hours old. Food in the city is spotty, and a lot is fried. So I wont really say too much other than usually beef and fish are good bets, things are usually well salted so beware before adding more, and the empanadas are good. Lastly, the area of the San Cristobal hill is worth seeing. There is a teleferico (dont know what it is in English) and a funicular, but walking is an option if you have time. The walk isnt bad, though long if you take a wrong turn. There is a zoo by the funicular that I have been told is good, but I didnt go.

To me, Santiago was a very safe city as long as you keep your wits about you. Easily the safest that I have been to in South America, and I would put it on par with Paris. But just like you wouldnt o into the Paris suburbs without a good reason and a very solid command of the French language, I wouldnt be wandering around the fringe areas of Santiago. They are mostly poor rural migrants, and crime is endemic. This was told and verified by enough people so that I believe it. You will also pass through these areas on your way from the airport, and will understand more. Finally, this trip I did go to the main persa off of the Franklin metro stop and was disappointed. Though it translates more closely to a flea market, in reality it was more like a mercado. I did make the mistake of going early, though. Santiagans dont get up early when they dont have to, so much of the market was closed. Might go again next time if I have time, though later in the day. On Sunday, *everything* shuts down. Everything.

Hope that helps a little. The hotel I stay at is the Alessandria on Bosque Norte and Apoquindo. 233-2082. $65 a night for a two bedroom apartment with a den, two bathrooms, and a kitchen. Great views of the Andes on a clear day, and good for a little people watching. Bad thing is the noise. Whoever built the building didnt put in double paned windows, and so a lot of street and construction noise creeps in. If you are a light sleeper, get plugs or stay elsewhere. Didnt bother me much because I live on a busy and noisy street in Los Angeles.

Anything I missed, send me an email.
Old Jul 25, 2001, 6:45 am

Programs: AA 3MM EXP, SQ Solitaire, LH SEN, CX DM, Hyatt CC, Marriott LT Titanium
Interesting report Darren! I'll be flying the JFK-EZE-SCL route like you did in early August.. Hopefully it'll be a little better than what you experienced. I think you should definitely write a letter to AA about the bad experience.
Old Jul 25, 2001, 8:08 pm

Programs: AA EXPLT, BA Gold, Shang Elite
sorry to hear about your experience darren.
but i am not surprised at all with what i encountered in AA. i dont think these are isolated incidences

overall they are still good.
esp the CSR and AA EXPLT desk.

but i had such annoying incidence with AA too many times.
--ground agent mishandling/careless mistake/canceling my reservation 'by accidence"
and FA BARKED at me.
at first i thought these barking were just cultural difference, what an arrogant FA...
or maybe i was spoiled by asian airlines (CX/KA/ or even the chinese airlines CA/MU in Y cabin!!!)....or i am just a passenger with no dignity but well, it turned out now it is probably the latter
Old Jul 25, 2001, 9:11 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Loews Plat., SPG
Darren:
Thank you for the great information on Santiago. I will be going up to Portillo for a week of terrific powder skiing(I Hope), and then i will most likely be in Santiago for one day and maybe a night before i leave. I will most definately take some time to check out some of the things you mentioned. Thanks again

------------------
-MC
Old Jul 26, 2001, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
The problem with the Computer Reservations System is not necessary AA. It is the way LA wants to displays its flights.

If you're on a OWE RTW, sometimes the "A" class availability will only show up on certain flights on AA's computer system. What the agent needs to do is to a NN on that particular flight to see if it is available. It takes 3 seconds. Chances are it will be.
Old Jul 28, 2001, 11:57 pm
Original Poster

Max, one last thing. Keep in mind that for US, Canadian, Mexican, and I think Australian and New Zealand residents, Chile has a visa reciprocity fee. It is a one shot deal (they staple something in your passport), payable in US dollars *only*, and runs between $14 and $61. For US residents, it is $61. Though the sign says exact change only, I found that they were able to make change from the $65 I gave them. I doubt if Chile has foreign currency reserve problems. Especially the government.
Old Jul 29, 2001, 11:12 am

Programs: AA PLT 2MM, UA Plat, SPG Gold, HH Gold
Sorry to hear of your troubles aboard AA, Darren. I have flown MIA-EZE in F and the service was just fine. Someone commented back a few months ago that we should excuse the flight attendants, they had been working without a contract for so many years. Since they got what by all accounts is a very generous new contract, what's the excuse now?

The interlock among the OW carriers isn't always perfect. I'm still trying to figure out how being "emerald" has done me any better than when I was "sapphire"...it didn't unblock flights for me on an award ticket, I haven't been upgraded recently, and while I got great service on EI this past week, it didn't seem exclusive to me (everyone was getting great service). At least LAN Chile sounds like a decent airline.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.