Reload this Page >

From Sao Paulo to San Sebastian via Sydney with a Surprise

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

From Sao Paulo to San Sebastian via Sydney with a Surprise

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2016, 11:25 pm

Ugh I can imagine what you're going through with this uphill riding.

I might end up more or less the same haha. Got to be workout more then, thanks for reminder.

Keep up this good writing.
Old Nov 8, 2016, 12:46 am

Programs: BA Bronze, Emirates Silver, Virgin Silver, Marriott Titanium
Great views from room #3 and I wouldn't move either especially after that bike ride!
Old Nov 8, 2016, 2:54 am

Love this!

I was at Park Hyatt a few years back, same time as Juventus FC were there. View was great, and Manly also. Found a gem of a restaurant called Pancakes on the Rock of something close by.

Looking forward to the rest.
Old Nov 8, 2016, 6:21 am
Original Poster

Location: Washington D.C. via Sao Paulo via Houston via Washington D.C. via Boston via New York
Originally Posted by nequine
Tea and lemonade!!! I have never heard of that one myself but I am not a fan of Aussie lemonade, its much more bitter than the type served here.

I loved taking the ferry over to Manly, so looking forward to your next posting.
Arnold Palmers are life, Arizona Ice Tea makes one with Arnold Palmer right on the can.

Originally Posted by Guvner067
Subscribed.

Re: "After dinner we tried to get an uber back to our hotel, but our driver decided to cancel on us and then flip us off as he drove by, nice…we tried to order another one, but it was the same guy and he cancelled on us again.".

You should report this guy. Uber is pretty strict on the cancel thing, especially twice.
I think we got credit from Uber because of it, but we were very upset with that guy.

Originally Posted by krazykanuck
This feels like something that would happen to me! stumble back to the hotel to find you have to move rooms. Reminds of once when my coworkers and I got so hammered one night I lost my glasses in my hotel room, had to pack a coworkers suitcase while he showered, and then have him drive me to retrieve my company rental car from the restaurant we were at the night before. But thats a story for another thread
100% not enjoyable, but it's funny when we look back on those things.

Originally Posted by blueferrari
Ugh I can imagine what you're going through with this uphill riding.

I might end up more or less the same haha. Got to be workout more then, thanks for reminder.

Keep up this good writing.
I was saying I needed to lose weight, eat better, stop drinking...that hasn't happened yet.

Originally Posted by nequine
Great views from room #3 and I wouldn't move either especially after that bike ride!
We were both so exhausted that we didn't leave that night.

Originally Posted by Mlee888
Love this!

I was at Park Hyatt a few years back, same time as Juventus FC were there. View was great, and Manly also. Found a gem of a restaurant called Pancakes on the Rock of something close by.

Looking forward to the rest.
Yup, that's a place there, we met a guy that worked there during one of our bar travels. We never tried it as we had the breakfast at the PH, but if we didn't I'm sure we would have been there.
Old Nov 8, 2016, 6:39 am

Great report !

I fully agree with you on the lack of good Indian restaurants in S. Paulo which is a bit of a surprise if you consider all the other great foods available from most parts of the world.

From my experience the least bad is Tandoor www.tandoor.com.br.
Old Nov 8, 2016, 7:27 am
Original Poster

Location: Washington D.C. via Sao Paulo via Houston via Washington D.C. via Boston via New York
Originally Posted by pvdecastro
Great report !

I fully agree with you on the lack of good Indian restaurants in S. Paulo which is a bit of a surprise if you consider all the other great foods available from most parts of the world.

From my experience the least bad is Tandoor www.tandoor.com.br.
Seriously, 24ish million people, no good Indian food around...I'll have to check that place out, but on the weekends, because I live in Brooklin and I'm not driving that far during the week!
Old Nov 8, 2016, 10:38 am
Original Poster

Never attempt to keep up with them

That Saturday was supposed to be a light day. We were going to do a hop on hop off tour like the good little tourists we are. Yeah, but that went to downhill thanks to Thursday when we agreed to catch up with our newly found Australian friends at a random brewery in Sydney somewhere.

The day started off as usual, poached eggs at the Hyatt, walk to Circular Quay, snap picture of Opera House. We boarded a ferry over towards Darling Harbour, there is a long running joke with my father, and every time I travel somewhere I buy him a plain white Hard Rock shirt. He has a closet full of them, he tells me every time “don’t buy me one I’ve got enough, but if you do, please don’t get me a white one”. I ignore him every time, that’s just how I am; I believe he secretly likes them. There is a HRC over there and our plan was to buy a shirt and head over to the brewery, but first we’d take a pit stop at a YEERO shop, as again, oddly no good Greek food in Sao Paulo. I think I should open up an Indian/Greek restaurant here. I digress. Here are some pictures of our boat ride.

Or picture, I haven’t uploaded the pictures from my SLR yet. We got our shirt, and then headed to The Yeeros shop in Marrickville. We enter and the smell is glorious boarding on magical, heaps of meat and FRIES (chips) on a grill. Everything looks like it’s covered in grease, which IMO is a sign of quality. Not sure what to do we kind of stood around and someone looked at us and we blurted out we’ll take a YEERO (I know it’s Gryo), we’ll take large chips. Ok that will be who remembers AUD. Handed over our credit card and were told cash only. Crap, we haven’t used cash in days; we asked where the nearest ATM was. We were told it was down the road at the Woolworths. We ventured down there and attempted to us our Brazilian debit card to get out AUD, hahahahahahhahahahahaha no go. I wasn’t carrying my US debit card, and my wife tried hers, it also didn’t work. Crap. We just gave up. I was pissed as I really want a gyro, I still actually want one.

After giving up we walked to the brewery we agreed to meet at called Blackfont Brewhouse. It was literally a house with a brewery in the basement of this house. Walking there from the train station was slightly sketchy and we were wondering if we were talking towards our death and after not getting my gyro, I felt like dying.

Waking - https://www.google.com/maps/place/Bl...2!4d151.159994

It was fine looking back on it, but it was really weird walking there. We made it, alive I may add and this place was very cool. You would never know this place existed where it does unless you read about it from here or met someone that knew about it. They had about 17 beers on tap, which is odd given how small the place is. I was unsure what I wanted to order and thankfully they do beer flights, 4, 5oz servings. I told the owners I promise to try ALL THE BEERS, I made good on my promise.

First flight up:

An interesting little tidbit of this brewery is they have sour beers, something that again is becoming more and more popular as more people try them. They had two I believe on tap, but they could add different flavorings in them to change them slightly.

Our friend showed up, he brought two new people an Australian woman co-worker and her British husband. We started chatting and drinking, some more drinking, and finally some more drinking. Eventually I went through all the breweries beer and our friends proclaimed they were hungry and there was another brewery nearby with food. I did not know of this plan, I thought we were only going to this brewery; hence why I just consumed 17 beers (even though they were samples)…time to put on the big boy pants and continue.

Our next stop was Batch Brewing and since we haven’t really eaten that much I was pleased to see they had grilled meats that were being applied to bread in front. The conversation continued on, more beers were consumed and sandwiches were eaten.

I liked their logo and well, their beer too:

Some more of the same, beer, conversations, we were told that they had planned on going to Staves, the brewery we met our ex-pat friend at on Thursday. Oh good, I wasn’t aware of this either and hadn’t planned on that. I’ve been drinking for 4 hours now.

I believe we uber’d over to the brewery and we weren’t sure if they were going to meet us there or blow us off. I guess it didn’t matter, but we were having a good time. We made it over to the brewery and our new friends were right behind us. This time at the brewery we were recognized from Thursday and welcomed with open arms and more PINTS of cold, delicious beer. The owner introduced himself as we just missed him on Thursday. Everyone was chatting, drinking pints, typical and a jolly time. After a few pints our ex-pat friend said that he had a date and had to leave, but the odd thing about Australians, they don’t let you stop drinking and was conned into staying with more beer. Two pints later he really did have to go, we exchanged business cards and he wished us a great rest of our trip. We stayed for a little bit chatting with the other couple before it was time for dinner.

It was around 9pm when we arrived at dinner at 10WilliamSt - http://10williamst.com.au/menu/ that I saw on a TV show and knew that I needed to try it. It’s a very strange looking menu with very funky natural wines. We popped in and asked how long the wait was, we were told 90 minutes. Ouch, ok, well I know of a place to get a drink, because you know, that’s what we need right now. We walked up the road to a place called The Wine Library, again more funky natural wines. We walked in and ordered, my wife was waving the white flag and couldn’t possibly drink any longer, me, eh I kept truckin’ on. I grabbed a glass of something I don’t remember. It was good and as soon as we sat down I got a text message saying our table was ready. Did 90 minutes just fly by? Downed the wine and walked back to dinner.

We arrived and got seated upstairs, I knew I wanted and bottle of something natural and pink and the pretzel, which was amazing and if you’re reading this and are from Sydney and or planning on visiting Sydney, eat this pretzel. Also eat the tagliatelle, it was divine, I may have been intoxicated, but I know when food is good and this, this was good.

The Wine Library:

Upstairs at 10WilliamSt:

No picture of the pretzel because that was drunk eaten, our pasta

For some reason, I had this bottle when I left:

We made it back to the hotel in one piece, somehow. Good thing we drank literally all day, countless beers and a bottle of wine. We’ll see what tomorrow brings, but I know it’s a very long walkabout along the coast.
Old Nov 9, 2016, 1:14 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by macdonaldj2

Bonus points if you can tell where the PJs bottoms are from:
TG? Nothing nothing else comes to my mind. But TG color is a bit different (if memory serves).
Old Nov 10, 2016, 1:36 pm
Original Poster

Let’s go hiking with a six pack

Drink one day, work out the following, drink, work out, so this is how the vacation is shaping up. We’ll need to put an end to one of those and I think we all know which way I lean. After the day yesterday of drinking our friends were again talking up the virtues of Golden Stout Time, a beer made to taste like Golden Gaytime a wonderfully made and very tasty ice cream bar, if you’ve had one, you know, if you haven’t you need to know. I guess that unless you’re lactose intolerant, then I would advise not trying one. I was determined to find it, but it proved easier said than done. Our plan for the day was do the Coastal Walk from Coogee Beach to Bondi Beach, it was a walk of 7km, but first, we needed to find beer.

I downloaded an application called Untappd, you can use it to search around your location for the beer you’re looking for. Eventually I found it in a store that was on the way to Coogee, we took the train to the stop closest to store and walked for a mile or so before we found the store. It was a tiny thing with boxes up to the ceiling. They had tons of beer, but did they have the beer I was looking for? I asked the person working there if they had it and he taps away on his computer and he said, “we should”. We both started looking around but we couldn’t find it, he said that he should have it and started taking boxes down and searching around. After about 30 minutes we did in fact find two sole six packs. I knew I wanted one, so I purchased it and put it in my bag.

We found our bus stop and headed towards Coogee which was our first stop, our plan was to walk all along the Coastal Walking path up to Bondi and have lunch at http://www.neighbourhoodbondi.com.au/ I chose this as they had something called a Jaffle, an indigenous food that I wanted to try. With my end goal in sight, we started our “walk” which turned out to be more of a hike, up, down and around little coves and beaches. It was exhausting, but beautiful. See for yourself.

Now in Bondi:

We were walking casually, because I was mostly exhausted and needed breaks, so it took about two hours. We made it the restaurant and cocktails were needed.

I am a fan of gin:

We were so hungry; we ate the jaffles before we could snap any pictures. We only ate light because we knew we were going to the Night Noodle Market inside Hyde Park. I still had my bag on me and we didn’t want to head back to the hotel to back out, so we decided to take the bus from Bondi to Hyde Park. We get in line and I saw bag inspections and knew we were doomed. The looked at my bag and discovered my beer. I tried to plead my case that I wouldn’t drink it inside, I asked to check my bag somewhere as I didn’t really want to go back to the hotel, but they weren’t having any of it. At one point I was told to just hide the beer in some bushes, but I’ll be damned, I carried this six pack all day like it was my child and I wasn’t about to lose it. Sigh…back to the hotel we went, we didn’t sit down because we knew if that happened, we wouldn’t make it back out.

Eventually we made it back to “market” and started binge eating. The market was comprised of 30ish food stalls that were ran by restaurants from all over the city. Each stall had 3-4 items and the highest priced items were around 20AUD, which wasn’t bad. We made our game plan and starting the attack.

DTF:

For XLB:

Hmm, I thought I had more pictures, but clearly I do not. Oh well, you get XLB. We did eat our fair share and everything was great. Towards the end I had some sort of soft shell crab sandwich was that hilariously good. You can check out the one in Melbourne as that is currently running. The menu is similar - https://www.goodfoodmonth.com/melbourne/menu/

After dinner my wife wanted to grab some drinks (I swear we’re not alcoholics) but after the day before and walking around all day I just couldn’t, not today. So we headed back to the hotel for an early night.

I needed to relax and I had some leftover wine from the night before, so…

I finished the bottle while I just soaked in the tub. While I was in the tub I was also chilling my victory of the day.

As crazy as it sounds, the beer tasted exactly like the ice cream. We turned in early as tomorrow was our last full day in the city.
Old Nov 10, 2016, 1:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TPJ
TG? Nothing nothing else comes to my mind. But TG color is a bit different (if memory serves).
Right region of the world, wrong carrier, CX PJs
Old Nov 10, 2016, 4:01 pm
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by macdonaldj2
Right region of the world, wrong carrier, CX PJs
Of course... Well, at least region was right

BTW... Great report...
Old Nov 10, 2016, 6:40 pm

Programs: Platinum, HH Diamond
...... I noticed they had vegemite ....
For me, these words are like when a redneck says, "Here, hold my beer and watch this"... you know its not going to be pretty

Great report and eagerly following.
Old Nov 11, 2016, 11:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TPJ
Of course... Well, at least region was right

BTW... Great report...
Thank you.

Originally Posted by Osmo
For me, these words are like when a redneck says, "Here, hold my beer and watch this"... you know its not going to be pretty

Great report and eagerly following.
Thanks and I'll need to try it again if we go back, my wife said a few nights ago she could live in Sydney and I agree
Old Nov 13, 2016, 7:18 pm
Original Poster

In Search of…

Monday is suddenly here, we usually dread Monday’s unless you have some sort of an amazing job, but unless Anthony Bourdain or Jeremy Clarkson is reading this, I’m sure you’re not a fan of Monday’s. Well it was Sunday night back in the “Good Ole U.S. of A. and we wanted to watch the debate which came on around 11am. Not much was planned for the day anyway. We knew we wanted to try a new pie shop, I wanted a gryo since I missed out the other day, but my main objective was to procure as much Australian natural/biodynamic wines as our suitcases could carry, and if they couldn’t carry it as much as I could drink.

We watched the debate, we laughed, we cried laughing, and we laughed some more and funny enough, we’re actually still doing that however not for the reasons we thought previously. Once the debate was over we headed to the http://www.thepietin.com.au/ as much as I love meat pies, I just couldn’t be bothered today. My wife ordered the brisket pie and I ordered something small, perhaps some sort of Mexican pie, not sure. It was nothing to write home about obviously as you’re reading this. I do remember having a wonderful soda though.

A “Creaming” Soda…

After lunch it was time to search for wine and luck have it there was a wine shop around the corner. Popped in a grabbed a bottle of http://loganwines.com.au/ we only got a bottle of their namesake wine, Logan. I only know this because I drank it two nights ago. We walked a little further down the road and ended up at a donut shop that my wife wanted to try after she got shut down in Santiago at Dunks, but before she got redeemed there had been a plan hatched to get there. The place was called Donut Time (sorry for link happy post)- http://www.doughnuttime.com.au/menu/ we grabbed something called the “It’s always a gay time” because I can’t NOT order something that’s linked to golden gaytime. We also grabbed a slim shady, well because M&Ms.

Donuts and wine in hand, we made our way back over near Hyde Park to another wine store. The store “Best Cellars” had a wider selection than the previous store a wonderful associate came over to me and asked if I was looking for anything. Why yes I was, I asked for some of the wine I had at Automata, Haggis. She said that it was popular and they didn’t have any, but let me give you some alternatives. She pointed out a few and I grabbed everything based on her recommendations. We’re now up to five bottles.

We were getting a tad weighed down so we decided to head back to the hotel. For some reason we decided to take the long way back, I don’t remember the reason why and or it’s not important (there was another wine store on that route, but shhhh…)

”Oh look another wine store”
“We don’t need anymore wine, you need a job”
“I agree to disagree with you, let’s go see what they have, we’re here”
“Fine, I’m not paying for this”

I love my wife. We get in and the associate there notices my bags and asks where I’ve been and what I’ve purchased so far. While I stood next to the Pendfolds and tried to wrap my head around the price, I said I was looking for Haggis and he mentioned he had a few and he also had one of Patrick Sullivans reds as well. Ohhhh wonderful, I’ll take two bottles of Haggis and one of the Jumping Juice. Wife is now full on pissed off we walked back to the hotel carrying now eight bottle of wine.

Since we were leaving the day after I decided to unpack everything and repack now since we weren’t buying anymore wine unless my wife developed amnesia magically. My wife made plans for dinner while I continued packing. She wanted to try a place called Belle’s hot chicken that was back in Darling Harbour and after that she wanted to try and I quote “three of four bars nearby”. We took the ferry back over and I was looking at real estate.

Enjoy it, current residents:

We got off the boat and our first drinking establishment would be King Street Brewhouse. Since it was Monday, not many people drinking the weekly pain away. We had one beer as I was pacing myself tonight. After that we made our way down the harbour to Belle’s, we had some chicken that was marginally hot, and some natural wines. The next stop on our list was this soda bar, turned bar or something of the sort called PS40. It was down this dark alley somewhere in the CBD. We stood outside looking around and one of the bartenders happened to see us and waved us in. Again, this was a Monday and this bar had no one in there, literally no one. We were the only two people there. There were two people working and they were really happy to see us, as it was dead. They explained their menu, let us try all their sodas on tap and recommended some cocktails. Everything was great and the bartenders were very nice and welcoming, we said we couldn’t drink more as we were going to a few more bars after this. We finished our drinks, but we had more, as they were nice. They were so nice they even gave us directions to our next bar, The Baxter Inn. This was really hidden, you get to a dark alley, walk down and turn right, once you’re at the fire door, open it and walk downstairs. If you’re a fan of whiskey, this is your spot.

I’m a Lagavulin 16 person, so I had something from nearby:

I’m a complete novice when it comes to scotch/scotch whiskey/whiskey, whatever you want to call it. I’m sure there was something better on the menu, something rare, something harder to find. But I promised ONE DRINK ONLY tonight.

This is literally just HALF their stock:

I finished my ONE DRINK ONLY and we made our way back towards our hotel, but not before one last bar. We decided to try Frankie’s Pizza, we wanted some pizza and let’s be honest I could go for another drink. There is the main bar when you walk in, then a performance/stage area through some doors and another bar, then if you know, there is a bar inside their green room down a fire escape, and word on the street there is another bar somewhere in there. It’s like a nesting doll of bars. I did not feel like finding all of them, I settled for the first two. We grabbed some slices and ONLY ONE BEER.

I enjoyed their artwork:

We were done, that was it, tomorrow night this time we’ll be in the warm embrace of Etihad’s Apartment.

We’ll miss you Sydney:

Once we got back to our hotel as if two dinners and a few drinks wasn’t enough for the day, who remembers those donuts we got earlier in the day? Well, my wife did.

It doesn’t look imposing does it?

Nooo…it was about a 2lb donut:

It was more of a cake that donut. It was heavy; I could only eat the entire thing…

Tomorrow is flying day, we’re off to Abu Dhabi, there will be more pies, and probably more walking.
Old Nov 14, 2016, 2:08 am

Programs: points traveller
really enjoyed reading this, particularly as a Sydneysider. You hit plenty of the in spots around town, and your writing style is captivating, thanks!

hopefully you got into some asian food proper compared to the overpriced night noodle markets!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.