Oh the humanity, miles up in smoke

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2001, 11:27 pm
Original Poster

Location: SoCal; DO-RAGS: Old Gold tagged, PIP, LatPass 1/2, AA 4MM, HH LT Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, Omni

I was with a group of 13 friends this weekend camping at Whitney Portal (near Lone Pine in California) preparing for an ascent on Mount Whitney, the highest peak in the Continental United States. Just when I was about to wave my marshmallow over the campfire, I spied a couple of 100-mile certs going up in flames. As third-degree burns would make it impossible to summit, I sadly watched the miles go the way of the gold in the movie, The Treasure of Sierra Madre: The miles burned and returned to the sky from whence they came.

Old Jul 24, 2001, 1:22 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
I'm not even quite sure what the above post means, but it still has me laughing so hard that it hurts!
Old Jul 24, 2001, 3:12 am
Commander Catcop

Jailer! Why were you taking your mileage certs to a camp site where bears would eat them or very cute cats like cougars could "borrow them" for Hilton Honors points?

Very funny story!
Old Jul 24, 2001, 6:18 am
Original Member

Location: The shape-shifting urban sprawl that is El Lay. FT member #71.
Programs: UA Gold & MM; DL & AA credit card dirt status; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Fool's Gold
I'm going to write to American Airlines and suggest your Advantage account be revoked. Haven't you learned anything from participating in FT? There are some things more important then personal safety. The burns would have healed eventually.
Old Jul 24, 2001, 6:37 am
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Sorry Jailer!

Good idea, Craig!
Old Jul 24, 2001, 6:53 am
Original Poster

Location: SoCal; DO-RAGS: Old Gold tagged, PIP, LatPass 1/2, AA 4MM, HH LT Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, Omni
Catdude: Of course I would not put my certs in harm’s way, it was those other irresponsible Team Whitney members who know not the harm they do. Had the certs survived, I would have protected them in my special bear canister, even if I had to leave out food to make room. Furthermore, if I was to burn something as an offering to the Gods to ensure success, it would have been something less valuable: my paycheck, perhaps.

Craigdude: If AA revoked my membership, I would simply send them form #CM-161-a(3), which I have on my desktop and which reads in part: I have received your letter of ( fill in blank ). I have been thrown out of better (fill in blank) than yours, and when I get off parole for arson I will be paying y’all a little visit.

Moderator 1: I appreciate your sentiments in moving this thread. But, if I meant this to be a trip report it would have been scripted entirely differently. As you know, there has been a running joke on the AA Forum regarding lengths people are going for 100-mile certs. Without that foundation, I fear that this vignette makes little sense, and as 14+ thousand feet is well under commercial airline lanes, a climb does not a trip report make. At a minimum I’m thinking that an audit trail should be left on the old location showing where something was sent.
Old Jul 24, 2001, 8:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: On a collision course with Kettledom
What is the proper upgrade cert disposal etiquette?

Do they have to be buried? Cerimonially burned with military honors? Has the Supreme Court yet ruled on the matter?
Old Jul 24, 2001, 8:31 am
Commander Catcop

Jailer: if we can find a way to trade AA miles I'll give you some of mine. You find a way and the miles are yours!

Opus, when I take my last flight of all time, my cats get all the miles!

i want to go out with a BIG NEWS story (and a lot of posts on Flyertalk!

The cats even have full names!

Yaz M Blanchard
Sir Edwin Landseer Blanchard
Old Jul 24, 2001, 6:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: HH Diamond, SPG Gold, PC Platinum Ambassador, Marriott Silver
Nutrigrain bars? Twists, perhaps? Surely you were not packing Eggos?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.