Wiki Posts
Search

JFK/TLV on DL

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2001, 6:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler; Marriott Lifetime Platinum Premier
JFK/TLV on DL

Let me begin by saying I like DL and have found the airline to be consistently professional, friendly, and competitive. The new TLV flight was no exception. I flew on an M fare for a little over $900 and used SWU's for upgrades. Service was exceptional, food was good, and the pilot of the 767 made absolutely the smoothest landing into TLV I have ever experienced, and I travel a lot.

The TLV airport is nothing to write home about. No jetways and a crumbling arrivals terminal. Departures are from the same terminal but once you get through immigration it's the usual proliferation of well-lit, extremely clean Duty-Free shops. The business elite lounge that DL uses is one of the more exceptional ones I have found. Although mixed drinks aren't available, there is beer and wine and soft drinks, veggies and dips, cookies, chips, etc., and wonderful hot soup.

Our $14 a day economy rental car from Avis left much to be desired. With 50,000 kms on the odomoter, it lacked hubcaps, drove roughly, and clearly had outlived its usefulness. BTW, that $14 a day became about $45 a day with all the add-ons, including MANDATORY insurance coverage. Only Diner's Club and Gold MasterCard were accepted for optional coverage.

Because of the well documented violence in the area, tourism is down substantially -- some told as much as 70 percent. It was not an uncommon sight to see many people -- military and civilian alike -- carrying machine guns and other weapons. We stayed at the Jerusalem Renaissance. Half of the hotel is closed for alleged remodeling (never saw or heard workmen in the closed wing), the hotel lacked services such as bellmen, concierge services, tour assistance, and other amenities you would expect. Food was consistently bad (not even fresh in some cases) and the hotel was not clean. My guess is that the hotel, because of declining tourism, has cut back on its employees to reduce costs.

Roadblocks were abundant, although there were never any significant delays. Only a trip to Bethlehem was difficult. The main road is closed into the city and one would assume that it wasn't possible to get there. But I decided to turn around at the concrete barriers and hit some side streets and found another route into the city. A day trip to Massada was uneventful and well worth the 90 minute drive to get there. The parking lot there, I was told, is generally full of cars and tour busses. The day we were there, there were no tour busses, and fewer than 10 cars.

Shopping in the old city of Jerusalem was not pleasant. Because of the few tourists there, shopkeepers were extremely aggressive and bothersome.

Our planned 7-day trip, however, was cut short by three days. Although we witnessed no violence and were never threatened in any way, the atmosphere was tense and uncomfortable and the hotel and rental car were losers, so we decided to pay the $150 each to change our tickets and return home early.

Old Jul 12, 2001, 7:06 am

Programs: CO
Interesting report, I wouldn't go near Tel Aviv any time soon given the current situation there right now.

By the way Delta does not fly the 767 on that route only the MD-11.
Old Jul 12, 2001, 7:07 am

happy,

If you could elaborate a little more about the actual flights I would appreciate it. What made the service "exceptional", i.e. were the FAs doing things you don't normally expect?
Old Jul 12, 2001, 6:09 pm
Original Member

Location: Los Angeles, CA - Nearly 4 Million Actual Miles Flown
I'd really like to hear about load factors on these flights too. Was Business Elite (and coach) full both flights?

It's a long flight. How did you make it more comfortable?

[This message has been edited by jeffreyt (edited 07-12-2001).]
Old Jul 14, 2001, 2:59 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by happywanderer:
I flew on an M fare for a little over $900 and used SWU's for upgrades.</font>
That's a good price for summer travel. M class is usually not the lowest coach. Did you need that to be able to use DL's SWU?
Can someone give me the basics on DL's SWU (I'm a UA 1K...)?

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by happywanderer:

The TLV airport is nothing to write home about. No jetways and a crumbling arrivals terminal.
</font>
There are no jetways because of security reasons.
The arrivals terminal is not crumbling. The area where you arrive with the buses for immigration is relatively new and the baggage claim area is decent. Compared with some US airports, it's much better.
PS an additional terminal is being built.

It was not an uncommon sight to see many people -- military and civilian alike -- carrying machine guns and other weapons.
</font>
As opposed to many countries, Israel's military is not just for show or an occasional foray into some banana republic.
Also, the civilians who carry weapons are usually people residing in Gaza or Judea and Samaria (the territories).

Roadblocks were abundant...
</font>
There are no road blocks is Israel proper (except one at the entrance to the airport).
"For some strange reason" it's another matter when you travel in and out of the territories.

Our planned 7-day trip, however, was cut short by three days. Although we witnessed no violence and were never threatened in any way, the atmosphere was tense and uncomfortable and the hotel and rental car were losers, so we decided to pay the $150 each to change our tickets and return home early.

</font>
That's a d_amn shame! Israel is an awesome place to visit. Tel Aviv has so much entertainment. Jerusalem is beautiful. Eilat is great to relax. The north has gorgeous nature.

Anyone who is considering going to Israel should. I would if I didn't have to work so much

[This message has been edited by NYC1 (edited 07-14-2001).]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.