Community
Wiki Posts
Search

My Month In Switzerland

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2000, 1:29 pm
Original Member

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus
Frigor is a very traditional swiss Chocolate brand, invented by Cailler, now part of the Nestlé Imperium.
Old May 12, 2000, 1:42 pm

I guess I didn't eat enough for lunch- Frigor on my mind. Thinking about chocolate is dangerous. For some reason Frigor has been unavailable in the US even though lots of Nestle products are here. I will have to settle for a virtual hike with a virtual chocolate bar. Actually, if given a quiet place I can almost virtually transport myself to Wengen. I must need a break.
Old May 12, 2000, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thanks naxos. I'll give them a try. And I hope the photo from the Chalet answers your question from Page 1 of this thread: Yes, Rudi's Chalet does have a view of the Jungfrau.
Old May 12, 2000, 3:05 pm
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
mmmm . . . sidecars!
mmmm . . . Lauterbrunnen valley
mmmm . . . Rudi and Gisela's chalet

The memories are great but can't compare to being there. You are soooooooooooo lucky PremEx.

PS. Yes Wingless#, 30 is the point at which you change.
Old May 12, 2000, 4:13 pm

BlondeBomber
Thanks

Old May 12, 2000, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: On a collision course with Kettledom
Great report!

But it makes me think how many times I fly to Switzerland, do nothing but work & fly right back home.

Old May 12, 2000, 8:36 pm
Original Member

Last June I had a wonderful visit with Rudi and Gisela in Zurich--this sounds absolutely phenomenal. What lovely hospitality!
Old May 12, 2000, 9:17 pm
In Memoriam: Original Member

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Plat
PremEx...awesome report that matches the view and the hospitalitaly of Gisela and Rudi!

Wingless2...we know you are an angel but if you don't post, how are you going to make it to being a envangelist? Will we be reading reports from Wingless30?
Old May 13, 2000, 4:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Part 6 – Bern, Bears, Beer And Food, Food, Food!

Morning is mostly sunny but there are clouds up high hugging the Jungfrau, so we decide not to go up to the Top of Europe this morning as originally planned. We switch to Plan B, which starts off with a tour of Wengen. Along the way, Rudi introduces me to the butcher, the baker and the candlestick maker. May is off-season here. About 70% of the shops, restaurants and hotels are closed and many of the residents are on holiday. But the best of the best are still here, and Rudi shows me where to shop for cheese, breads, milk, etc. We pass through the village to the far end and Rudi shows me where the annual Lauberhorn Downhill World Cup is held every year. We hitch a ride on a farmer’s tractor to return us back to the village center and then walk back to the Chalet.

Gisela has opted out of our sightseeing tour today and is heading back to Zurich by train. She instructs me on how the laundry machines and other things around the Chalet work. We do our hugs and goodbyes and then Rudi and I are off on another day of sightseeing. We are going to end up the day in Bern where Rudi will head to Zurich by car, and I will head back to Wengen by train.

Down the mountain we go to where we parked the car in Lauterbrunnen. Parking garages operate differently than what I am used to in the United States. In most places in the U.S. when you enter a garage you get a ticket and when you exit you hand over the ticket at a toll booth to a real live person. Here, you get your ticket when you enter, but when it is time to leave the garage you take your ticket to a machine where you pay what is due and it validates your ticket. On the way out you simply insert your ticket and it opens the gate. There are no persons actually working the garage. It’s a great system…unless you lose your ticket! I’m beginning to sense a family trait here! First Dani and Maria’s apartment key. Then Gisela’s wallet. Now this. (I’m not being mean. And Rudi actually insisted that I post this as he wants everyone to know about his “crazy family.”) Rudi goes through everything. His pockets. His wallet. The car. His luggage. He must have gone through his pockets 10 times. No ticket. We go to the exit gate where there is an intercom to some distant office. But no one answers. We head to the train station for assistance, but they have nothing to do with the garage and send us back down to try the intercom again. No luck. We’re trapped like rats!

We go through everything Rudi did yesterday and today to retrace his steps. It should be here somewhere. He said he never took it out of his clothing or jacket or wallet. Time for Sherlock. I again mention his motto that “once all possibilities have been exhausted, whatever is left, no matter how unlikely, must be the truth.” He must have it on his person. He takes off his jacket and puts it on the hood of the car and spreads out the entire contents on the hood. He flips the jacket over and reaches in a pocket and Presto Chango! There it is! It was a “reversible” jacket and he had the other side facing out yesterday and that’s the side where he had placed the ticket!

Free from our automobile prison, we head on down the beautiful winding mountain roads headed in the direction of Bern.

We approach the Wilderswil River, which Rudi mentions was the site of that tragic incident just a few months ago where 12 people lost their lives in a river adventure accident. Rudi recalls that there is a renowned restaurant and member of the Jeunes Restauranteurs d’Europe there. He declares it’s time for lunch at the Alpenblick Gastronomie Hotel Gault Millau Restaurant! We settle in and are one of only a few customers on this off-season day. The owner soon greets us and Rudi thanks him for staying open during the slow months. We both decide to try the special of the day…a plate of noodles covered with the most delicate mushrooms (sorry Rudi, I don’t remember their name) and a lite sauce. Rudi is astonished at the price of only SF15.50 as he says this type of mushroom is very expensive. I believe the dish was called Barlnudel or something. Delicious! Rudi insists (as is his custom) on dessert and he orders us up a fantastic and rich sponge cake.

Back on the road again to Bern. We arrive at this classic medieval city and park the car taking special care as to the location of the parking ticket. We head off on foot down over the river to visit the namesake of Bern and a popular attraction at the entrance to the city…the Bears! Looking fat and happy the bears put on quite a show for their adoring public. Rudi hails a horse drawn trolly and I sit up front with the pretty young girl at the controls (darn, that picture didn’t come out!) while Rudi sits back in steerage. We head on down the cobblestoned main street in the same manner as the inhabitants did hundreds of years ago, for a tour of this great town. The shops on both sides of the street are enclosed in brick “Arcades” or “Rows” so that folks can shop in any kind of weather. Rudi spots a familiar costume in one shop and poses with it. Next Rudi directs me to turn left and I immediately see why. It’s another one of his Lord Nelson Pubs! Rudi gabs the camera to get a shot of some guy exiting that’s had one too many beers!

On foot again we pass by the massive Parliament Building and duck into a small restaurant/pub that is frequented by the local politicians and other Matt Wald types (if you get my drift), called the Café Federal. Did someone say beer? Soon we are enjoying a cold Egger Bier while watching fat envelopes being passed under the tables.

Rudi jumps up and says he knows the perfect place for a cigar! We pass by the backside of the Parliament Building which sits high on a bluff overlooking a river valley below. Rudi points out the balcony patio that the politicians sit out on to have lunch. Then he points out why. There is a nudist sports facility right below. And yep. There’s quite a view on this sunny day!

On the same bluff (with the same view) is the 5-star Bellevue Palace Bern Hotel, another member of the “Leading Hotels Of The World.” We head out to the verandah and order a couple of Sidecars and light up a couple of Habanos. It’s a wonderful sunny day and the view of Bern from here is fantastic. The perfect spot to relax and digest all that wonderful food from lunch. Did someone mention food? Rudi says lets go have dinner. Dinner? Yikes! I had enough for lunch to sink a battle cruiser!

We head to the Concierge and Rudi inquires as to a good Italian restaurant in town. The Concierge makes a quick phone call and we’re on a way to the Restaurant Luce a few blocks away. Things are a little blurry at this point. You might say we’ve been drinking and continue to do so. Rudi orders some special Italian wine which he thinks I will hate, but I love it. I have a roast chicken in a garlic sauce of some sort I think. I haven’t a clue what Rudi had. I look up and say to Rudi “That guy over there looks just like Alfredo Smaldini who we met at the Circus in Zurich.” It was! He comes over to the table to greet us and chat for a few minutes. A very nice and funny guy. Need I mention that Rudi insists on dessert? I must have been a hit with the staff as Rudi looks a little disappointed when he compares the size of my portion with his.

I’ve never been so stuffed in my life! We hear music playing so we head in that direction. It’s a massive Steel Drum Band (at least 30 strong) playing in the Platz with a huge crowd enjoying it on this warm evening. Rudi does a little dance step called the “Bern Bear Shuffle” to the amusement of the crowd and the concern of the local Police.

Sadly it’s time for my train to Interlaken where I will connect up to the system into Wengen. Rudi drives me to the station and presents me with a 1st Class upgrade on the train ride! What a guy! I give my many thanks to Rudi and his family for the last 5 days and everything they have done for me, and say goodbye until the end of the month (unless he can get away for a weekend in Wengen).

There is a separate car in 1st Class that is non-talking! I love it! Wish the airlines would do that! I wave to Rudi as the train departs the station, and settle in for the 1 hour plus train ride to Interlaken. Make all the connections without a problem and by about 10pm I’m back in the Wengen at the Martel Chalet, my home for the next 3 weeks.

The contrast between all the activity with Rudi and his family these last 5 days, and the sudden solitude and quiet of Wengen is striking, and I suddenly feel a bit lonely. But I know there’s lots to do, mountains to climb, trails to explore, lakes to cross, and many people to meet along the way up here in Heaven.

Up next will be my final “big” report as I bring you up to date on my first few days in Jungfrau region of Switzerland in the next report: The Happy Wanderer!

[This message has been edited by PremEx (edited 05-13-2000).]
Old May 13, 2000, 5:09 am
Original Member

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus
covered with the most delicate mushrooms (sorry Rudi, I don’t remember their name) Morcheln (morels).

Rudi orders some special Italian wine which he thinks I will hate, but I love it.Lambrusco

Rudi insists (as is his custom) on dessert and he orders us up a fantastic and rich sponge cake – PremEx is responsible for a chocolate shortage in Switzerland ... I ‚only‘ had a sorbet (just to correct the wrong picture the ‚rest‘ of my family members reading here might get) .. but I admit, that I always calculate with left-overs from PremEx as it was the case already with the chocolate-mousse at the pre-circus dinner at the Kronenhalle.

and park the car taking special care as to the location of the parking ticket. Taking special care reads: PremEx confiscated the ticket right away

Need I mention that Rudi insists on dessert? I must have been a hit with the staff as Rudi looks a little disappointed when the compares the size of my portion with his. Desert = Tiramisu .. and my small portion is just what PremEx gave me as his left-over (we don’t ask for doggy-bags in Switzerland).

Up next will be my final "big" report – We (the whole Martel family: Gisela, Maria and Dani, Susanna and Marc, and me) will not allow the next report being the final one – we are astonished and irritated about ourselves how we sometimes seem to forget about the beauty of our place in Wengen. Thank you PremEx (and also thank you to all other many guests we were lucky to host there) for bringing the ‚neutral‘ perspectives back to our minds (and souls)

[This message has been edited by Rudi (edited 05-13-2000).]
Old May 13, 2000, 5:21 am
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
You are indeed fortunate Rudi!

Are you trying to do some Hansel and Gretel thing on PremEx and fatten him up for a big roast? Watch out PremEx!

Great reports
Old May 13, 2000, 5:58 am

Rudi, anytime you need some perspective on your good fortune regarding the beauty of the setting of your chalet, I will volunteer to provide it. I was once temporarily trapped in the Lauterbrunnen garage- trouble getting the machine to work- a little tension
for a while- relieved by a look at the mountains. There is power in the beauty of those mountains.

PremEx- Loneliness in Wengen can allow you to enjoy the vistas, chocolate and cheese. There is a meditative quality to this magical place.

------------------
Old May 13, 2000, 8:52 am
Original Member

Wow! Wonderful, thanks for sharing.
Old May 13, 2000, 9:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

BlondeBomber questioned Rudi:
Are you trying to do some Hansel and Gretel thing on PremEx and fatten him up for a big roast? Watch out PremEx!
Exactly what I was thinking!

I'm on a strict Frigor, whole milk, Wengernalp-Käse Jung Cheese (mild), egg, ham, duck, and fresh bread diet! Oh, I made a nice low-cal Lasangna the other night with the assitance of some friendly local merchants using nothing but freshest local ingredients. Burp! Oh my. Excuse me!
Old May 13, 2000, 9:17 am

It makes sense now why you waited for the photos to be developed before posting the additional reports. WOW! This raises the bar considerably for trip reports - not just good writing, but photos required as well!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.