A Trip To Iceland & Greenland

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A Trip To Iceland & Greenland

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2016, 11:15 am

Programs: Aeroplan Airmiles AMEX-MR Alaska Airlines
DanielW, this is an amazing TR as always. I especially loved the pics of the dives. Wish your camera didnt betray you at the last minute. Definitely something on my bucket list after reading about it.
Old Oct 17, 2016, 1:54 pm

Programs: IHG Gold Ambassador
Another amazing trip report. My employer just lost well over an hour of productivity thanks to your amazing pictures and commentary. Your trip reports are the gold standard of trip reports. Can't wait for the next!
Old Oct 17, 2016, 1:58 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Originally Posted by aa213bb
I will say it again: your Trip Reports are all magnificent, and (I believe) the gold standard for this forum.

Absolutely breathtaking. Thank you so much for sharing.
Exactly how I feel.
Heading to Iceland in January and can't wait.
Old Oct 17, 2016, 4:51 pm

Originally Posted by DanielW
My trip to Iceland and Greenland, taking in the atmosphere of Temple Bar during a short stopover in Dublin, camping on the Greenland ice sheet in the Arctic Circle, drysuit diving in the 2°C waters of Silfra, congratulating Jason on visiting every country in the world in Reykjavík and catching up with long-time friends Philippe and Shirley in Paris.

Thanks for adding links to the various trip reports. I just read the Southern Africa trip report, as my husband and I were there with a group (hotels, not tents) in Nov. 1991. Saw lots of animals and, of course, it was a lot warmer. Great pictures - brought back lots of good memories.

My previous trip report's can be found below:

A Trip to Afghanistan
A Journey Through Kyrgyzstan
A Trip Around The Arabian Gulf
A Trip To Yemen
A Trip To Jordan & Israel
A Southern African Adventure
Road Trip to Saudi Arabia & Qatar
Five Days In Japan
Underground In New Zealand
A Trip To Iran
A Trip Around The Mediterranean
A Long Weekend In Paris
A Trip To Ukraine, Belarus & Russia
A Trip To Kenya & Tanzania
Beautiful Thailand
To Muscat For A Travel Magazine
Everest in Full Picture
A Trip To Bali & Dili
A Trip To Northern Iraq
Winter Trip To Europe
Christmas In Mogadishu
A Trip To Sudan
A Trip To DR Congo & Rwanda
Twelve Days Across Africa
A Trip To Lebanon
A Long Weekend In Prague
A Trip To Laos, Vietnam & Hong Kong
Off Road In Kazakhstan
A Trip To Turkmenistan
Six Days In Sri Lanka
A Trip To Copenhagen & Stockholm
Sixteen Days In West Africa
A Trip To Maldives
A Trip To Armenia & Nagorno-Karabakh
To The Frontlines Against ISIS
A Weekend In Baku
Return To New Zealand Via South-East Asia
Three Days In Georgia
A Trip To Bulgaria
Sorry, my post is above.
Old Oct 18, 2016, 12:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by injian
DanielW, this is an amazing TR as always. I especially loved the pics of the dives. Wish your camera didnt betray you at the last minute. Definitely something on my bucket list after reading about it.
Thank you, injian. Yes, bummer about the camera. A good excuse to go back though.
Originally Posted by mgobluetex
Another amazing trip report. My employer just lost well over an hour of productivity thanks to your amazing pictures and commentary. Your trip reports are the gold standard of trip reports. Can't wait for the next!
Many thanks, mgobluetex. Send my apologies to your boss, although hopefully it inspired them to see some more of this part of the world though.
Originally Posted by apodo77
Exactly how I feel.
Heading to Iceland in January and can't wait.
Thanks, apodo77. January should hopefully be good time to see the Northern lights in Iceland too.
Originally Posted by Elli
Thanks for adding links to the various trip reports. I just read the Southern Africa trip report, as my husband and I were there with a group (hotels, not tents) in Nov. 1991. Saw lots of animals and, of course, it was a lot warmer. Great pictures - brought back lots of good memories.
Thank you, Elli. Stay tuned for my next TR, back to Southern Africa.
Old Oct 18, 2016, 4:08 am

Originally Posted by DanielW
Hopefully I can be greedy and do both though?
hahaha, I'll set my tent over here and wait for your next trip report, then
Old Oct 18, 2016, 7:39 am

Programs: VA WP, NZ *A SG
Amazing TR. I just looked at your map of the 99 countries you have visited. Why have you not visited ANY countries in South America??
Old Oct 18, 2016, 9:09 am

Programs: DL Diamond, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold
Once you get the US visa situation sorted out, maybe it's worth looking at the new US-Cuba flights. Flights from TPA/FLL/MIA can all be had for $150 round trip. It's something I'll be doing in January.
Old Oct 18, 2016, 10:33 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by smit0847
Amazing TR. I just looked at your map of the 99 countries you have visited. Why have you not visited ANY countries in South America??
Thanks, smit0847. South America is blank at the moment for a number reasons. Mainly because its the furtherest / most expensive place to fly to from Dubai and hence I have been concentrating on the rest of the world at the moment. I will definitely be visiting in 2017 though!
Originally Posted by ChiefNWA
Once you get the US visa situation sorted out, maybe it's worth looking at the new US-Cuba flights. Flights from TPA/FLL/MIA can all be had for $150 round trip. It's something I'll be doing in January.
Yes, the resumption of flights to Cuba will certainly make travelling there alot easier. I've got a work trip next year to the US so just sussing out what possibilities there are to travel to Central America and the Caribbean also.
Old Oct 18, 2016, 12:21 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Awesome photos, especially the black sand ones! Thank you for sharing ^
Old Oct 18, 2016, 1:21 pm

Programs: Delta
I thought your trips to the War countries,Iran,Iraq, and Afgan where High adventures, but
for me this trip is my favorite Daniel TR. Because the cold scares the hell out of me. Hiking
and camping on the ice !! Scuba diving !!!! Just the thought of it gives me willies. Man,
that is something I do not think I could ever do. All of your other trips I can picture myself
going along with you,but not this one. Great,Great TR.

A personal question if I may ? What do you do for a living ?
Old Oct 18, 2016, 11:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Madone59
Awesome photos, especially the black sand ones! Thank you for sharing ^
Many thanks, Madone59. Yes, the black sand was quite a contrast, really made the ice diamonds 'pop'.
Originally Posted by peachman
I thought your trips to the War countries,Iran,Iraq, and Afgan where High adventures, but
for me this trip is my favorite Daniel TR. Because the cold scares the hell out of me. Hiking
and camping on the ice !! Scuba diving !!!! Just the thought of it gives me willies. Man,
that is something I do not think I could ever do. All of your other trips I can picture myself
going along with you,but not this one. Great,Great TR.
A personal question if I may ? What do you do for a living ?
Thank you, peachman. The cold wasn't too bad, just had to have plenty of layers. We had a foam layer on the bottom of our tents as well as a self-inflating mattress to sleep on. The drysuit made a big difference at Silfra, wasn't so bad after the initial sting.

My day job isn't too exciting, a Chemical Engineer.
Old Oct 19, 2016, 3:35 pm

Absolutely fantastic pictures, thank you for sharing! With the Icelandic tourism industry booming, I'm hoping that Air Greenland tries one more time to make flights from North America work, since their last attempt was ill-timed.

That's very interesting that they don't do passport control upon arrival, although that's probably a very pragmatic approach for such a small nation.
Old Oct 20, 2016, 1:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Big4Flyer
Absolutely fantastic pictures, thank you for sharing! With the Icelandic tourism industry booming, I'm hoping that Air Greenland tries one more time to make flights from North America work, since their last attempt was ill-timed.

That's very interesting that they don't do passport control upon arrival, although that's probably a very pragmatic approach for such a small nation.
Thanks, Big4Flyer. Yes, seems strange that a part of (geographical) North America is only accessible via Europe.
The lack of passport controls was interesting, but I guess Greenland is the last place where someone would need/want to make an illegal entry.
Old Oct 20, 2016, 2:47 am

Programs: *G
amazing. wish i was untethered to do these kinds of trips again

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.