PWM-BOS-MIA on AA in First and return

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2000, 8:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, AA CK, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Platinum, Avis Presidents

I had planned this trip to visit my grandfather before school had started. It was fall break and I was going from Portland, ME to Miami via Boston on American with the upgrades clearing at the 72 hour window being a Platinum. I was looking forward to five days in the sun and the flights were all easy here is a run down.

PWM-BOS 4:20-4:55pm Thursday 26th October
I arrived at the Portland Jetport at 3:30pm and the 3:20 flight had not departed, but since I had driven down a friend and the 4:20 was showing on time I decided that I would stay in Boston. Well my friend departed on time at 4:10 to New York and the Boston flight departed on time. As we were waiting to get on the plane a gorgeous girl about my own age struck up a conversation with me and it turns out she is a freshman at Bowdoin College where I am a Junior, but we are the same age. Anyway we start talking as if we have been friends for life. Not seated together and I did not ask if I could as I am a wimp. Anyways, the flight to Boston was a quick 29 minutes and the stewardess did a full bar service and snack (pretzels and neutra grain bar) in that time for a full flight. Landed in Boston and was bused to the terminal. Well on the bus the girl sat down next to me and she was headed to Minneapolis on Northwest. Well I decided since I had about an hour and twenty minutes connection I would go as well. The bus to the American terminal goes over to Northwest afterwards. We sat and chatted while we waited for her flight to board. We found out that we were both on the same return flight to Portland and I offered her a ride back up to school and she accepted. She left and I had to dash back to the American terminal as I only had about twenty minutes till departure.

BOS-MIA 6:15-9:44pm AA 1367 Seat 2H
Got to a very crowded gate area and pushed my way to the front in preparation for First Class boarding. Boarding was called and I got settled into my seat with a gin and tonic on the Airbus 300. Doors were closed a couple of minutes late and push back was also late. No problem I was enjoying my drink. Menus were passed out and orders taken before wheels up.
Dinner Transcript:
Warm Nuts

Salad
Romaine Lettuce and Spinach with Feta Cheese, Cucumber, Kalamata Olive and Roma Tomato, served with Parmesan Peppercorn Dressing or Italian Vinaigrette

Bread Basket

Entrees:
Sea Bass with Garlic Shallot Butter

Chicken with Plum Sauce

Stuffed Pasta Shells

Desert: A seasonal medley of fresh fruit or an Ice Cream Sundae with your choice of Toppings.

Well the nuts were piping hot and the meal followed the rule. The salad was very big in a nice glass plate I had the peppercorn dressing which was nice. Followed by the chicken which was a very good choice and the plum sauce was nice and spicy. It came with whipped sweet potatoes which were equally good. Very pleased. I chose the ice cream for desert with butterscotch and nuts. Throughout the meal I was enjoying a 1997 Merlot from the Palmer vineyard.
Watched the Game on DVD for the remainder of the flight. Landed a little after schedule and headed to my grandfathers for a few days in the sun. Had a wonderful time and was sorry to be heading up to a cold Maine.

AA 1246 3:15 MIA-BOS
Was scheduled to be on flight 1246 which was a snack flight and a MD-80. When I got to the airport I wanted to see if it would be possible to get on the 4:55 flight up because it was a dinner flight and on a 767-300. Turns out that was not a problem so I headed to the Admirals Club for the two hour wait. Did some reading before heading to the gate. Flight had the same menu for dinner as the one down and I ate the same and it was equally good. After dinner I pushed back the comfortable sheepskin seats and slept until we started our decent. Flight landed about twenty minutes late. Headed over to the American Eagle for the flight up to Portland.

AA 9:40-10:20 Saab 340
Flight was late by twenty minutes and then delayed a further twenty minutes. I was disappointed, as I did not see the girl who I met on the way down. Well the flight was uneventful with only pretzels and a drink. Landed in Portland at 11 and hopped in my car (alone) for the drive back to school.

Now the following Friday I was at a small party and I met the girl and it turns out the her flight had been delayed and she missed the flight to Portland. Also I was wrong about her being out of my league and we have a developing relationship.

This brings up a question how many people have met a special someone on a flight or at an airport?

[This message has been edited by globalflight (edited 11-09-2000).]
Old Nov 9, 2000, 10:55 am

Programs: AA PLT, SPG GLD, PC PLT SPIRE
Originally posted by globalflight:
a gorgeous girl about my own age struck up a conversation with me...It terns out that I was wrong about her being out of my league and we have a developing relationship.

Old Nov 9, 2000, 11:05 am

Nice report and good going with the girl. There's is nothing better than meeting someone while traveling. I have done so on several occasions. If I remember correctly, QuietLion's got a pretty good story about meeting someone while traveling.
Old Nov 9, 2000, 12:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Accor Plat, Htz PC, Natl ExEm, other random status
Anyway we start talking as if we have been friends for life. Not seated together and I did not ask if I could as I am a wimp.
You don't want to look overeager, anyway.

I had a couple of good relationships start up over the years because of shuttle and train rides from school to the airport.

Excellent trip report!

Bon voyage (with the girl, that is)!

Greg
Old Nov 10, 2000, 7:16 am
In memoriam

Programs: UA, US, AS, Marriott, Radisson, Hilton
Glad you lucked out!
-
What with this met-a-special-someone and all the what-celebrities-have-you-sat-next-to threads, I feel kind of left out. Might be my unprepossessing appearance, but when I'm in F I tend to get seated by someone who snores all the time, and when I'm in Y they tend to put unaccompanied minors next to me. I do however have a friend who met her husband on a flight - if you ever see a car with Colorado plates UA1C1D, that's her.
Old Nov 10, 2000, 9:29 pm

Thanks for the report.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.